Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

03.14.12 @ 03:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default "How to" help in prep for buying the new Wolfgang

I thought I'd ask the experts here and maybe we could all learn something. What I'd like to know is the do's and don't of guitar storage. Like do you keep the string tension on wile its in the case etc. What the optimum temperature and humidity would be and is the humidity a factor when its stored in its case. How often should you open it up and let it breathe. These and any other thoughts would be great.

So Why do I need this info. Well I plan on buying some of the new Wolfgangs when they come out. Some to play and some to store away for 20+years and give to my son on his 21st birthday and as an investment 30 -40 years. It doesn't matter if they are still making them then, just think if your Dad had bought a Les Paul in the 50's and held on to it in unplayed condition ! It would pay for your house LOL!

Anyways thanks in advance for the input
    Martin

Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

OUTA LOVE
    Last Online

09.09.11 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MRDC View Post
    I thought I'd ask the experts here and maybe we could all learn something. What I'd like to know is the do's and don't of guitar storage. Like do you keep the string tension on wile its in the case etc. What the optimum temperature and humidity would be and is the humidity a factor when its stored in its case. How often should you open it up and let it breathe. These and any other thoughts would be great.

So Why do I need this info. Well I plan on buying some of the new Wolfgangs when they come out. Some to play and some to store away for 20+years and give to my son on his 21st birthday and as an investment 30 -40 years. It doesn't matter if they are still making them then, just think if your Dad had bought a Les Paul in the 50's and held on to it in unplayed condition ! It would pay for your house LOL!

Anyways thanks in advance for the input
    Martin
    Man Martin..... What do you do for a living? I must be in the wrong line of work. God love you for being in a position to do this for your son. Although, if you are looking for long lasting value and appreciation you would definately be better off buying a few Paul's as opposed to Wolfgangs,but that is another subject entirely. I think you should keep the string tension normal, keep them in the hard shell case and keep them in your closet at whatever temperature you normally keep your house and you should be fine. Would you be willing to adopt me? I'm 42 but act like I'm 21.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

03.14.12 @ 03:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TAMPA VH View Post
    Man Martin..... What do you do for a living? I must be in the wrong line of work. God love you for being in a position to do this for your son. Although, if you are looking for long lasting value and appreciation you would definately be better off buying a few Paul's as opposed to Wolfgangs,but that is another subject entirely. I think you should keep the string tension normal, keep them in the hard shell case and keep them in your closet at whatever temperature you normally keep your house and you should be fine. Would you be willing to adopt me? I'm 42 but act like I'm 21.
    Haaa! well I didn't say I was buying them all on the same day LOL! Unfortuntley I don't think the adoptee can be older than the adopter ? Anyways lets not get sidtracked I'm dead serious, If you buy a guitar to put it in storage for 20 years to preserve it, you don't wanna open the case to find a pile of rust attached to a prezil stick that used to be the neck ! My thinking here is that there is a good chance EVH will part with Fender after a few years making them collectors like the Peavey's, who knows. How many Les Pauls are on the planet already ??

Martin

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

or you can look at it this way.

what if you dad bought a hondo in the 50's?

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

I'm pretty sure they will be well overpriced when they hit the market. But if you have the means...
    As far as storage, if it is kept in the case and it doesn't go through a lot of major climate changes, I don't see why anything would happen to it. Maybe stick a dehumidifier near it if it gets humid in the spring/ summertime. A musty basement probably wouldn't be ideal either (duh). But a good quality wood shouldn't warp anyway. Of course it'll probably need a bit of tweaking after 20 years of sitting. I could hang on to it for you in the meantime if you'd like, that way it'll be nice and "broken in" for your boy.

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:50 AM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

If it is in the case, and is not exposed to extreme changes in humidity or temperature, you should not have any problems. I would leave the strings tuned to 440, but take it out of the case once a month to put a little lemon oil on the neck and check the setup.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lil'devil View Post
    or you can look at it this way.

what if you dad bought a hondo in the 50's?
    That's funny ...
    Did Hondo even exist then? :?: