Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

03.23.09 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I Don't Understand... (Resonance)

Hey guys,

Well, as mentioned in other threads, I am pretty stubborn when it comes to my gear. I've made several guitars from near scratch, I'm always great with repairs and I am never satisfied with my tone and always trying to tweak. That being said, when it comes to the very technical side of an amp, I lose my way.

The 5150's have a resonance control as we all know, but on the 5150 III and most marshall tube amps just have a presence. I don't quite understand how it works... does this mean the resonance is already pre-voiced to the amp makers specs and thus there is no need for a res knob? I was thinking of buying a Bugera 6260 as a backup and it's supposed to be a clone of a 5150 minus the res knob and add a reverb. So, if some of the more seasoned guitar/amp gurus could explain how the lack of a res knob works on amps with just a presence control, that would be awesome!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, the resonence is a pre determined value in Marshalls and the 5150III's, and now the Bugera clones. There is a resonence mod for Marshalls some people use. If you ever want to get real technical, the metroamp forum is really cool. I read a thread about the mod once.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iplayguitaralot View Post
    Yes, the resonence is a pre determined value in Marshalls and the 5150III's, and now the Bugera clones. There is a resonence mod for Marshalls some people use. If you ever want to get real technical, the metroamp forum is really cool. I read a thread about the mod once.
    Wicked, thanks for the clarification! What would you say is the predetermined value on the 5150III's? Or even the common values throughout the Marshalls when it comes to Resonance.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangerang5150 View Post
    Wicked, thanks for the clarification! What would you say is the predetermined value on the 5150III's? Or even the common values throughout the Marshalls when it comes to Resonance.
    I have absolutly 0 idea. Amps scare me and I don't look too much into it. As you know, resonance is the opposite of presence, resonance tightens up the bottom end. Check the metro amp forum or possibly other amp tech talk forums to see the exact values. Here is a link that touches on that issue from the metroamp forum. http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=16836

Apparently on a Marshall it is a .22uf capacitor between the negative feedback resister and the wire that goes to the speaker jack.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

As a former owner of the 5150 combo, my super non-technical perception of the Resonance knob is as follows:

It's a way to get a bumping bass sound out of high-wattage speakers (like the Sheffields) when NOT playing at gig or even band practice levels.

Anything other than that is above my technical knowledge.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:58 AM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

How about a "contour" knob? I've got that on my Marshall solid state head (MG series). Is that another word for presence or resonense? The higher you turn it, the more of a "scooped" sound you get.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Resonance can be problematic and needs to be cleaned out of your equipment periodically so things don't get too gross.
    I use a dull, small blade of a pocket knife. It fits in the tube very nicely and scrapes all the resonance off the sides without taking off any plastic shavings or anything like that. Then I put the resonance into an old film container with some shake to save for a rainy day.

Don't read this.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Resonance can be problematic and needs to be cleaned out of your equipment periodically so things don't get too gross.
    I use a dull, small blade of a pocket knife. It fits in the tube very nicely and scrapes all the resonance off the sides without taking off any plastic shavings or anything like that. Then I put the resonance into an old film container with some shake to save for a rainy day.

http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Hard times...

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    How about a "contour" knob? I've got that on my Marshall solid state head (MG series). Is that another word for presence or resonense? The higher you turn it, the more of a "scooped" sound you get.
    Not the same.

The Contour knob, which is great on a Marshall, in one extreme cuts the UPPER mids, and boosts the lower mids, creating a warm tone.

In the other extreme, it cuts the lower mids, and actually BOOSTS the "harsh" upper-mids, and creates a cutting, "80's metal" tone. Like Metallica's "Seek & Destroy".

Loved that knob on my old Marshall Valvestate.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I thought I'd rehatch this old beauty haha...

What would you guys suggest setting my resonance at on my original 5150 to match the preset resonance value in the 5150III?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangerang5150 View Post
    I didn't want to start a new thread, so I thought I'd rehatch this old beauty haha...

What would you guys suggest setting my resonance at on my original 5150 to match the preset resonance value in the 5150III?
    Dude, stop, you're confusing me. Presence is for high end, resonance for low end, that's about all I know or want to know. If a resonance knob is not on an amp, then I tend not to think about it. Maybe you need a good eq pedal. The 5150 and 5150 III are voiced differently, so you might not be able to achieve what you are asking. I'm going to go lie down now.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

The resonance control is more or less a master bass control. It dials in low-end warmth when, at certain volumes, this warmth is lacking. Similar to a "Deep" control you'd find on Mesa/Boogies and Soldanos. You can turn it up in bedroom situations for warmth if your amp sounds cold or harsh.

The presence control is just the opposite. It dials in "master" treble.

The 5150III probably needs no resonance control because it kicks around enough low end without it. It has a presence control because the more volume and gain you have, the more treble is lost. The presence (and treble)can help balance that out.

In a band situation (IMO), the resonance control needs to be turned down because (1) you'll be cutting into your bass player's frequencies (he'll love that) and (2) the guitar is a midrange instrument and that's what the audience is going to hear.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

exactly , i figured that out at our last band practice lol.

after the post volume is at 4 or more that resonance knob can make the guitar very muddy and flubby with no clarity.

which had me going wtf ?

i backed it off to 4.5 and there was the bass freq but it was crisp and had the growl on the lower strings.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.