Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Review by James From The VHML:

Just got home from the VH show in Jax, and I hate to say it, but it sucked. Whoever was in charge of sound should be shot in the head. I've heard better acoustics in a shit hole bar. Eddie's solo was the absolute worse solo I've ever seen him perform. Not that he performed poorly, it just did nothing to make you stand up and take notice. The sound alone was the main problem, and maybe that is what drove the show south, but frankly I'm glad I went to the opening night show in Charlotte. Now my only hope is that I won't wake up with a splitting headache. We did drink good beer (Sam Adams Black Lager, Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, and Guinness), so if I do it won't be on account of shitty beer. I don't even want to bone the old lady tonight. I'm fucking depressed. Goodnight.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Liked 801 Times in 436 Posts

Premium Member

Default Jax Show

I thought the first half of the show was really great. Maybe I was riding high on expectations, but it seemed like they really captured the Old Van Halen spirit. They were really tight and findnig that old familiar groove, and something about Dave's goofy personality really worked.

That said, they did have some ridiculous technical problems. Either my ears wore out or Dave's voice kept coming out wrong, making this weird trebly sound like his full signal wasn't coming through. That was really irritating.

I agree that Ed's solo was boring, but it always is. He's my favorite player in the world, but a solo is just so 80s to me. I like to hear songs, not noodling. The sound was bad, and he really phoned it in. Seemed to have technical difficulties on Cathedral, too.

Overall, it was a good show, I thought. Not the best I've seen, but a thrill to hear the old stuff with Roth. And his monologue before Ice Cream Man was really cool. "It was Saturday night, 1972..."

They broke into Mississippi Queen at one point too, which I thought was really cool.

I felt satisfied. I just wish they'd drop the solos and play two more songs.

TK

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.18.08 @ 07:52 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bad......!

I love Van Halen but the recent show sucked! I sat near the front stage and should have brought ear plugs. Someone doing sound should be fired! Dave's mic went in and out no matter which mic he changed too.

Dave also knew that and got really frustrated. Eddie was drunk...really! He missed notes, played in the wrong key, and when he fucked up he stopped playing. Geez...!

Wolfgang was the only one there to play and only made one mistake which got him a dirty look from his father. Eddie fell off the wagon and he's back sucking ass again.

If Wolfgang was smart, he should distance himself away from his father. I have had drunking gigs but I don't play in front of 15,000 people. Eddie please stop smoking and drinking!

Dave did a lot of fake smilling but it was good to see him again. Alex is Alex as he always is...good! On a side note the before show zeppelins were a big success!

I was sort of depressed as well leaving the show...I just watched my guitar hero suck ass.

dk

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

84, 5150, fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs, 5150 live...
    Last Online

07.10.15 @ 06:09 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Default Finallyyyy

You may remember I did some of the shirt art for the tour. I did the pinup guitar girl, and the gray globe with the vh logo. Al used both on his bass drums- a thrill that made me 13 again... I also did the 04 tee with the Vh rings logo kinda purple metallic, with the realistic fire around it. Still saw a bunch of those at the show... Actually I had 15+ more designs they didn't pick-- using lyrics, vintage posters, dave's jokes, plus some special requests from the band that didn't make the final cut (tiki inspired, logo of bones, chinese dragon inspired, etc.)-- stuff I know would be a hit with the fans. Maybe next time? see more of my art at http://www.derekgores.com

Anyway- I'll be quick.
    Pros: Great to hear the old songs- Even as a rabid vh fan, I only had seen sammy. As an artist myself, Ed has been a huge inspiration- his love of melody served with flash, trash and exploration always makes me happy. I for one am glad to see the new noodlings, the new twists. In 04 it was drunken twists, tonight was sober twists. The guy did the usual solo for 15 years basically, I'm happy for some new territory- especially considering it may lead to new songs. kinda like the 'girl gone bad' jam was born in live '83 tour jams.

Cons: It could have used some pacing, it was kinda a random run of songs, that could stand some flow to build you up and carry your thru. I loved it whenever they did a break down in the song. It let it breathe.
    Sound was fair, better than I'd read, but again I craved the breakdown parts when I could discern the jamming.

But hey, who am I to judge. Can't believe I got to see classic VH----
    thanks boys, for 30 years. Like I put on the shirt:
    "Runnin' with the devil since '78"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

02.09.09 @ 03:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A little late, but I just got home from Florida today and didn't have a computer. I have to agree with all of the Jax reviews, unfortunately. They started out great and by Al's Drum Solo it just took a big shit. I find it hard to believe it is old age on Eddie's part. Something is going on. His playing rapidly got worse, especially his solo. I give the Cleveland show I saw in October a 9.9 and I give the Jax show a 3 ( because it started great).

And yes the sound did suck!!!
    "Remember when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

www.fcband.com