Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.28.13 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Northern IL University Shooting 2/14/08

Report: Injuries in shooting at Northern Illinois University
    Last Updated 2/14/2008 3:55:15 PM

DEKALB (AP) - Northern Illinois University officials said Thursday there has been a report of a possible gunman on campus.

The (DeKalb) Daily Chronicle said there were injuries, citing information heard over a police scanner shortly after 3 p.m. The scanner alerted police about a white, male shooter with a shotgun and pistol.

"Get to a safe area and take precautions until given the all clear," officials said in a message posted on the school's Web site at 3:20 p.m. "Avoid the King Commons and all buildings in that vicinity."

Messages were left for university and police in DeKalb, located about 65 miles west of Chicago.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Christ, this is getting so common that we should have a "stickied" thread for them all...

Shooting at N. Illinois University

29 minutes ago

A gunman opened fire in a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University on Thursday, injuring as many as 15 people before he was killed, authorities said.

DeKalb Police Lt. Gary Spangler told the student newspaper the Northern Star that the gunman was dead. It was not immediately clear how he died.

The university issued a statement on its Web site about an hour after the 3 p.m. shooting that "the immediate danger has passed. The gunman is no longer a threat."

Kishwaukee Community Hospital said on its Web site it received 13 victims. It said earlier three to four had head wounds.

George Gaynor, a senior geography student, who was in Cole Hall when the shooting happened, told the student newspaper that the shooter was "a skinny white guy with a stocking cap on."

He described the scene immediately following the incident as terrifying and chaotic.

"Some girl got hit in the eye, a guy got hit in the leg," Gaynor said outside just minutes after the shooting occurred. "It was like five minutes before class ended too."

Witnesses said the young man carried a shotgun and a pistol. Student Edward Robinson told WLS-TV in Chicago that the gunman appeared to target students in one part of the lecture hall.

"It was almost like he knew who he wanted to shoot," Robinson said. "He knew who and where he wanted to be firing at."

All classes were canceled Thursday night and the 25,000-student campus was closed on Friday. Students were urged to call their parents "as soon as possible" and were offered counseling at any residence hall, according to the school Web site.

Dominique Broxton, 22, a student from Oak Park, told the Chicago Tribune she could see two wounded students from her dorm room.

"The ambulance took away two students on the ground right outside my dorm," she said. "I don't know them. They looked bloody."

She said she saw a lot of confusion. "Students were running. People really didn't know what was going on. There is an intercom system inside the dorm. Someone came on and stated that someone had been caught. They said they caught the shooter and that we should remain calm and stay in our rooms. I am in my room now."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080214/...iu_shooting_15
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

The Copycat Effect: How the Media and Popular Culture Trigger the Mayhem in Tomorrow's Headlines (Paperback)

Book Description
    "VIOLENCE BEGETS VIOLENCE BEGETS VIOLENCE... A disturbed student shoots up his classroom -- and suddenly a wave of mass murder is sweeping through our nation's schools. A young child is taken from her home -- and for months afterward child abductions are frantically reported on an almost daily basis. A surfer is attacked by a shark -- and the public spends an entire summer fearing an onslaught of the deadly underwater predators. Why do the terrible events we see in the media always seem to lead to more of the same? Noted author and cultural behaviorist Loren Coleman explores how the media's over-saturated coverage of murders, suicides, and deadly tragedies makes an impact on our society. This is The Copycat Effect -- the phenomenon through which violent events spawn violence of the same type. From recognizing the emerging patterns of the Copycat Effect, to how we can deal with and counteract its consequences as individuals and as a culture, Loren Coleman has uncovered a tragic flaw of the information age -- a flaw which must be corrected before the next ripples of violence spread. "
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Judgement Day
    Last Online

05.11.09 @ 03:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Makes you wish hell had a "scared straight" program for these pussies that shoot innocent, unsuspecting, unarmed people. I got a feeling if they could see how it was working out for Harris, Klebold, Cho and the like, they might think twice.

Tragic.
    "Your right little girl. If women ruled the world there wouldn't be any more war; all the countries would just nag each other to death"
    Archie Bunker

"Any man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough"
    Captain Augustus McCrae in "Lonesome Dove"

"He has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their Substance." - The Declaration of Independence

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

absolutley crazy.... i can not understand how some one can do this
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

First the Tinley shooting two weeks ago at the Lane Bryant that killed five, now this shooting at NIU that killed six (according to a recent report).

The Illinois suburbs don't seem like a safe place to live anymore. Sadly, that's where I'm located, and everyday I'm surrounded by people where you know, if given the chance, one of them would shoot up the school. That's the kind of environment I'm around these days, and after this shit over the last two weeks, it's getting rather scary around these parts.

It's just fucking warped, guys. It really is. And the really sad thing is, both have occurred right in my backyard. I don't know what to expect now, but all this tells you is, you're not safe ANYWHERE anymore...

I actually miss the South Side of Chicago (always have since I moved in 2004). Surprisingly, this shit didn't happen there, nor would it for that matter.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Unreal! And yet, it will keep on happening until the media finally figures out that sensationalizing this stuff only makes it worse.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH_VAREB View Post
    Makes you wish hell had a "scared straight" program for these pussies that shoot innocent, unsuspecting, unarmed people. I got a feeling if they could see how it was working out for Harris, Klebold, Cho and the like, they might think twice.

Tragic.
    But they do see how things work out. The shooters never make it. It's a suicide mission, whether the gunman shoots himself (the usual conclusion), or is shot down by a cop. I guess they figure they want to kill themselves anyway, so why not take out some people with me? It's a sick and twisted mind that thinks that way.
    The problem I have is when there are tell-tale signs and red flags on the individual(s) beforehand. Like the case of Cho at Virginia Tech. He really needed some mental help. Some people were worried that he would do something like that and they were, unfortunately, right.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    But they do see how things work out. The shooters never make it. It's a suicide mission, whether the gunman shoots himself (the usual conclusion), or is shot down by a cop. I guess they figure they want to kill themselves anyway, so why not take out some people with me? It's a sick and twisted mind that thinks that way.
    The problem I have is when there are tell-tale signs and red flags on the individual(s) beforehand. Like the case of Cho at Virginia Tech. He really needed some mental help. Some people were worried that he would do something like that and they were, unfortunately, right.
    I meant how HELL is working out for these guys.
    "Your right little girl. If women ruled the world there wouldn't be any more war; all the countries would just nag each other to death"
    Archie Bunker

"He has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their Substance." - The Declaration of Independence

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

My prayers go out to the victims and their families.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH_VAREB View Post
    I meant how HELL is working out for these guys.
    Yeah, I know. I just don't think that these idiots care about that. Perhaps they don't believe in Hell. Either way, I don't think hell's "scared straight" program would work. The Scared Straight program that they had here on earth didn't really do so much. People are still going to prison. And, unfortunately they always will.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    Yeah, I know. I just don't think that these idiots care about that. Perhaps they don't believe in Hell. Either way, I don't think hell's "scared straight" program would work. The Scared Straight program that they had here on earth didn't really do so much. People are still going to prison. And, unfortunately they always will.
    It's the "It's not going to happen to me mentality". We're all guilty of it to an extent.
    Archie Bunker

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 2,210 Times in 1,114 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by vhrocks2005 View Post
    First the Tinley shooting two weeks ago at the Lane Bryant that killed five, now this shooting at NIU that killed six (according to a recent report).

The Illinois suburbs don't seem like a safe place to live anymore. Sadly, that's where I'm located, and everyday I'm surrounded by people where you know, if given the chance, one of them would shoot up the school. That's the kind of environment I'm around these days, and after this shit over the last two weeks, it's getting rather scary around these parts.

It's just fucking warped, guys. It really is. And the really sad thing is, both have occurred right in my backyard. I don't know what to expect now, but all this tells you is, you're not safe ANYWHERE anymore...

I actually miss the South Side of Chicago (always have since I moved in 2004). Surprisingly, this shit didn't happen there, nor would it for that matter.
    That Kirkwood City Hall shooting was 3 minutes from my house. That Michael Devlin who abducted the two young boys and held them captive for years was right across the street from me--less than 200 yards.

This is an area that is--was--as quiet as can be. On the surface it looks like nice people are everywhere.

It's scary people like that live among us, but I guess you just have to hope you never encounter them, because there isn't much you can do to stop it.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 1,343 Times in 921 Posts

All you can do for yourself is be aware of your surroundings and know where the nearest exit is.

But, yeah, it sucks that people have to be like that...

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Unreal! And yet, it will keep on happening until the media finally figures out that sensationalizing this stuff only makes it worse.
    If it was Soviet Union, or North Korea, non of this would have been reported at all. Non of these would have probably even happened.

If you guys want the media to keep it shut, you'd have someone's foot-in-a-throat on the freedom of speech. Which one would you rather?