Favorite VH Album

1st one
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One, Panama, Unchained
    Last Online

06.17.10 @ 08:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Rotator cuff surgery

Has anyone had this. I want to know if the surgery hurts real bad, and how long recovery time is. I have been off work for almost 2 months from a snowmobile accident. They said I separated my AC joint, now I may have a torn rotator cuff. Had an MRI last week, still waiting for the results.
    Becki

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My mom has had it three times because she kept re-tearing the muscle due to a couple of car accidents. It's torn again right now but they are not going to do anything with it because the last time, the doctor had to stretch the muscle so much, they don't think they can stretch it again.

Like any surgery, it is pretty painful. You have to have your arm in a sling for quite some time afterwards and it makes it difficult to do much of anything. Especially your hair. My mom's hair is short and she uses a curling iron on it and that was pretty much impossible during recovery. I think it took about 5-6 weeks to get rid of the sling and then you have physical therapy to get the arm moving again.

The difference will be the pain medication you can take. My mom is allergic to almost everything so she was very limited. If you can take something decent it might not be so bad but going to bed is rough depending on how you are used to laying when you sleep. Most people sleep on their side, ie their shoulder so you might have to change your sleeping position as well.

Good luck with your surgery for a speedy recovery.
    Last edited by loveevhsince79; 02.13.08 at 04:45 PM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My aunt is due in for her second rotator cuff surgery later this month, as a result of falling out of bed and getting her arm caught under a nightstand. Her doctor prescribed rigourous physical therapy beforehand to see if that would improve her condition. This was to no avail and she will be having the surgery. After the first surgery, she wore a cast and sling for a few months. Like LoveMachine's mother, her biggest complaints were regarding the simple things she just couldn't do with just one hand.

In December I had a strained rotator cuff. My doctor (separate doctors entirely) also prescribed physical therapy to see if the problem could be ironed out that way. It took about two months and the pain did become palatable so no surgery was needed.

Good luck!
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterdays View Post
    My aunt is due in for her second rotator cuff surgery later this month, as a result of falling out of bed and getting her arm caught under a nightstand. Her doctor prescribed rigourous physical therapy beforehand to see if that would improve her condition. This was to no avail and she will be having the surgery. After the first surgery, she wore a cast and sling for a few months. Like LoveMachine's mother, her biggest complaints were regarding the simple things she just couldn't do with just one hand.

In December I had a strained rotator cuff. My doctor (separate doctors entirely) also prescribed physical therapy to see if the problem could be ironed out that way. It took about two months and the pain did become palatable so no surgery was needed.

Good luck!
    LOL, you keep calling me lovemachine. Do I know you?

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm so sorry, loveevhsince79, my brain is warped by drugs today. If I've called you that previously...were you ever in Arizona?
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Album

1st one
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One, Panama, Unchained
    Last Online

06.17.10 @ 08:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, thanks...the difficult thing is I sleep on my bad shoulder. I have been trying for 2 months not to sleep on it, but it just ain't working. Hopefully the MRI results come in tomorrow or Friday. I have been in therapy for 4 weeks now, and it ain't getting any better. Now we just got 5 inches of snow tonight, and I can't go snowmobiling.
    Becki

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

I tore my rotator cuff at work in August of '99 and had surgery in February of 2000. The worst part for me was not being able to sleep. Pain pills made me goofy but I couldn't sleep because I would roll over on that shoulder. Ambien helped out with that little problem.

My surgery went well, and I was in the sling for at most, a couple of weeks. My shoulder hurt after the surgery, but not as bad as I thought that it would. I also stayed with my sister who had a nice recliner that I slept in. It helped my sleep tremendously. The hardest thing for me to do after the surgery was shave my head.

I even figured out a way to prop up my arm (My surgery was on my left shoulder) so I could play guitar a little bit.

I hope that helps a little.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

I had a older friend who had the surgery its a rough one..get several opinions..wait for MRI results too. If its a partial tear and small it could heal on its own. I had a torn small partial groin muscle... took about 6 months to heal with no surgery.