12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Default Teacher Accused Of Duct-Taping Boy To Desk

http://www.local6.com/news/15287294/detail.html

Teacher Accused Of Duct-Taping Boy To Desk
    Middle School Teacher Gets 10-Day Suspension

POSTED: 11:12 pm EST February 12, 2008

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A middle school teacher accused of using duct tape to bind a student to his desk was suspended for more than a week without pay for the alleged incident.

The Duval County School Board voted on Tuesday to suspend Kasey Goodin for 10 days without pay.

The school board made its decision after hearing the teacher's version of what happened inside the Kirby-Smith Middle School classroom, WJXT reported.

The district said Goodin told investigators the taping incident was a joke.

However, board members didn't think it was funny.

"It's just not funny for a child to be taped, whether it's in jest or it's a disciplinary measure," said school board chair Betty Burney.

In Goodin's written account of what happened in the classroom, the teacher said, "There was a light-hearted mood in the class as I walked to the supply closet and removed a roll of purple duct tape and a roll of masking tape The class was laughing. I was laughing. The student was laughing."

WJXT was told Goodin took that duct tape and taped the student's leg to his desk before she used the masking tape to tape his hands and his face.

"The masking tape was applied to the student's hands. The student immediately removed it, laughing throughout the incident. Within the next few minutes, the 'play' was over, the tape was removed," the teacher wrote in her statement.

She ended her account stating, "This incident, was in reality, an opportunity to have fun with the students while getting a message to them. Looking back, I know that it was inappropriate for me to break the lines of formality."

The student involved has since been removed from Goodin's classroom.

"The reason why we didn't go for something as severe as dismissal, it did appear at least it started out as something more lighthearted," said Duval County Superintendent Ed Pratt-Dannals.

Board members said the teaching position at Kirby is the teacher's first job and she has shown good behavior in the past.

"I understand that it was a young teacher. I just felt that we needed to send a stronger message," said Burney.

Burney was the only board member who voted against Goodin's 10-day suspension, saying she didn't think the punishment was harsh enough.

Board members also voted that the teacher should get counseling.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

My brother was once handcuffed to a desk.

That was after he broke the knot of the rope when he was tied to it.

No one was laughing.

My mother understood that my brother was a little asshole and probably deserved it. That was the early 80's. How times change.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Oh, good. Because of contact laws and fear of lawsuits, teachers must allow themselves to be beaten into bloody pulps by "students", yet when a lighthearted prank takes place, the teacher gets suspended.

Due to a horrible pay scale and very few incentives, this country is losing more and more teachers each year. The system they are forced to work within is narrow minded, unfair and most certainly unsympathetic to their needs. Throw in the irresponsibility of parents, and the teacher becomes more than mere tutor: Now a babysitter, educator, occasional friend and ersatz parent, all for what amounts to a little over minimum wage when one actually looks at the hours extended.

Bright thinking: let's make things even more unfeasible, and overtly discipline an action that should never have been questioned.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Jesus christ...talk about over-reacting...

If I was the student who was "laughing"...I'd be bailing my teacher out saying that it was just a joke....
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Well, I'm a high school teacher and I've done worse than that, all in jest. I'm not talking about hurting or humiliating kids, just goofy stuff where we all have a laugh, usually with me ending up being the "victim". If the day ever comes when I can't have a fun moment with my students, I'll find another way to earn a living. If it was truly a fun moment for all of the class and the student in question, then they should speak up and put a stop to that stupid disciplinary action. Jesus, if a teacher isn't allowed to try and get along with his students, then we are done for as a society...might as well just have a talking head on a big screen in the classroom and do it 1984 style.

Good Enough Tropical Storm Tracey's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Do I really have to pick???
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

11.18.17 @ 07:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    Jesus christ...talk about over-reacting...

If I was the student who was "laughing"...I'd be bailing my teacher out saying that it was just a joke....
    It's probably his parents making the big deal out of it.

I agree with Chef on this too. The teachers have to be all things to all students when parents are too lazy. Then they have to put up with kids who disrespect them on a daily basis. There's no way I could do it. Kudos to anyone who can.

TST<-----------not the teacher type-----------

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

In the 2nd grade, a substitute teacher tied a kid in my class to a chair with a jump rope. It was crazy!

Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

My fiance is a teacher in a really bad neighborhood. Even in kindergarten she wants to smack them...but alas, she can't. Some of these kids have no respect for authority figures which means telling them to do something is only wasting your breath. I wish they would've had corporal punishment when I was in school.

Of course this has nothing to do with the current topic being that is was apparently all in good fun, but just trying to make conversation

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    My fiance is a teacher in a really bad neighborhood. Even in kindergarten she wants to smack them...but alas, she can't. Some of these kids have no respect for authority figures which means telling them to do something is only wasting your breath. I wish they would've had corporal punishment when I was in school.
    My wife teaches 4th grade with a relatively high mix of lower socio-economic-class kids. She deals with situations I couldn't handle on a daily basis. The problems she deals with are varied, but the solution is always the same: The parents, or lack thereof. If the parents are accountable and are involved with the maintenance and discipline of their kids, the problems are solved. If they are not, the problems continue. This continues on into high school, of course.

And the problems are not always with the lower-class kids. The opposite end of the spectrum are the problems from mid/upper-class parents who think their kid shits gold bricks and they try to blame whatever problem the student is having on the school or teachers while, just like the lower-class situations, disregard accountability of their children.

In short, There are very, very few "bad" kids out there. There are alot of bad parents, though.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyw View Post
    My wife teaches 4th grade with a relatively high mix of lower socio-economic-class kids. She deals with situations I couldn't handle on a daily basis. The problems she deals with are varied, but the solution is always the same: The parents, or lack thereof. If the parents are accountable and are involved with the maintenance and discipline of their kids, the problems are solved. If they are not, the problems continue. This continues on into high school, of course.

And the problems are not always with the lower-class kids. The opposite end of the spectrum are the problems from mid/upper-class parents who think their kid shits gold bricks and they try to blame whatever problem the student is having on the school or teachers while, just like the lower-class situations, disregard accountability of their children.

In short, There are very, very few "bad" kids out there. There are alot of bad parents, though.
    You say these kids are in 4th grade? Next time one of the kids shit their pants.....just.....nevermind....
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

That's about as accurate as it gets.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At a recent parent teacher conference, the teacher said how wonder my daughter was about being polite always using please, thank you, excuse me, may I, etc. She said out of her class of 26 kids, only three used manners on a consistent basis and seemed to have morals instilled and we live in a very middle class neighborhood. The lack of respect is at all levels of the socio-economic scale.

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    That's about as accurate as it gets.
    You mentioned your fiance wanting to "smack" the kids. I'm sure there are some lily-livered pansies who might read that and recoil with shock and horror, but it's the truth. Of course they can't and would never do such a thing, but those kids need tough teachers who don't kowtow and don't allow silly shit to go on. Kids are smart, regardless of age, and will play whatever game they need to play to get away with not having to perform academically. Plain and simple, there are little brats out there. But again, as soon as a parent becomes involved who, upon hearing of their child misbehaving, takes that child home and makes them wish they hadn't misbehaved, the problem is solved. 100% of the time.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

You mentioned your fiance wanting to "smack" the kids. I'm sure there are some lily-livered pansies who might read that and recoil with shock and horror, but it's the truth. Of course they can't and would never do such a thing, but those kids need tough teachers who don't kowtow and don't allow silly shit to go on. Kids are smart, regardless of age, and will play whatever game they need to play to get away with not having to perform academically. Plain and simple, there are little brats out there. But again, as soon as a parent becomes involved who, upon hearing of their child misbehaving, takes that child home and makes them wish they hadn't misbehaved, the problem is solved. 100% of the time.
    Exactly right. My mother always told me that if I got in trouble at school, it would be twice as bad when I got home. And that shit worked!
    Now I do it with MY son, and he's only gotten in trouble once for misbehaving, and after we dealt with him at home, no more problem in school
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Whatever happened to getting smacked with the ruler? That always seemed to work.

The teacher used poor judgement here, but being a first-timer it's no wonder. Maybe the teacher learned something.

Gotta agree about the lack of parenting. A lot of kids have no manners nowadays. I could never imagine talking to my parents the way kids do today.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One