Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Banned!
    Last Online

06.20.08 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Big Brothers/Big Sisters Advice

I am presently *thinking*, just a thought at this time about volunteering to be a BB. Anybody here have any experience or know anyone with experience with this?

I lost my Father when I was young, and I know a positive male role model in my life meant a lot. I personally, luckily, had a couple of great influences from uncles. I know there may be a lot of kids out there who need a helping hand, so after seeing a TV show about this today I became interested.

I'm a little concerned about getting in over my head, being as I don't have kids of my own, and I'm not sure what kind of situations I could wind up in.....I.E abused childern and so forth.

I've checked out their website, and it looks like they do a good screening process with the Bigs, but I wonder if they do the same for the Littles.

My wife and I already sponsor a child via money through a Christian fund, but I have the time, and I think it always important to give back more to this world, so I thought this might be positive, but above concerns hasten me right now.

Any thoughts, experiences, stories would be greatly appreciated.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I've got no direct experience with that.

I have participated in a similar program when I was in high-school, though. I was matched up with a 1st grader and a 3rd grader, and spent about half an hour a day working with them. It was a great experience. They were kids from broken homes, and their teachers had identified them as being "at risk" for something or another. I got to be a part of these two little boys coming out of their shells, and saw some positive behavior changes first-hand. They became more confident or comfortable, and didn't seek attention in some of the negative ways they did when I first started working with them. What I saw wasn't the big picture, though. Their teachers and mothers were extremely pleased.

It was a really great experience. I'd encourage you to stick your toes into the pool and see how it feels.

I know a little about volunteer organizations, too. The good ones work really, really hard to make sure that they set their volunteers up for success. Where I work we provide considerable training and resources. We really value those who are willing to give their time and energy freely.

Taking that first step is hard, but try it and see what the organization is like. I imagine every new volunteer there has concerns that are similar to yours, so the organization should be very adept at addressing them. It'll only take a phone call or two and a few hours of time to discover whether it's a good fit or you or not, and the potential rewards are likely to be very worthwhile.

Banned!
    Last Online

06.20.08 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That is a great response. Thank you Mike.