Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default RIM: You suck!!!

Dear window-licker staff at RIM:

Thanks so much for not informing your 3 million-plus subscribers about your little outage yesterday. We also appreciated the way no one in your office could record an announcement saying your ENTIRE FREAKIN NETWORK was down, thus leaving us to hold for over an hour, only to have a 3rd-world CSR get an attitude when inquiring about possible problems.
    As a system admin, I completely understand that shit does indeed happen. However, I also understand that informing users about an ongoing issue cuts down on the frantic phone calls and dirty looks. Im sure you had your reasons for refusing to inform anyone of these problems. But you have phone numbers and email addresses for every goddamn one of us, so I know THAT wasnt the problem.
    I truly appreciated the opportunity you gave my employer to berate me and my staff as we tried to figure out why no one's Blackberry was working. Being screamed at while frantically rebooting servers is a solid test of character, and Im grateful to have experienced it first-hand.
    Although I maintain the pipe-dream of someone else knocking you off the top of the heap, Im certain Microsoft will once again blow this opportunity.
    In closing, a large FUCK YOU to those responsible, and an even larger FUCK YOU for those who decided to keep us in the dark.

--NOT sent from my Blackberry handheld
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTheEdHead View Post
    Dear window-licker staff at RIM:

Although I maintain the pipe-dream of someone else knocking you off the top of the heap, Im certain Microsoft will once again blow this opportunity.

I couldn't have said it any better, Chris. PLEASE let SOMEBODY make this system work as advertised!!!!!!
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Last Online

10.19.15 @ 11:50 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

I have a Black Berry also, and luckly I didn't have to use it durring the outage, that would have had me pissed like a raped ape! I didn't find out till my wife saw it on comcast's home page!
    To bad no one from RIM will read that here, but if I had to use it at the time I would need to vent some how! I'm sure if you posted at RIM, it would just get pulled!

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

BlackBerry Outage Frustrates Users Again

By JORDAN ROBERTSON – 3 hours ago

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — The company that makes the ubiquitous, addictive BlackBerry smart phones said Tuesday it was still looking into what caused the second widespread service disruption in less than a year.

Research in Motion Ltd. said customers in the United States and Canada "experienced intermittent delays" for about three hours Monday beginning about 3:30 p.m. EST. RIM said no messages were lost, and voice and text messaging services were unaffected.

"It is too early to determine root cause at this time, but RIM does have a team addressing this issue in order to define the problem and prevent it in the future," the company said in a statement.

The BlackBerry service, which lets users check e-mail and access other data, has become a lifeline for many business executives and is increasingly popular among consumers with smart phones like the BlackBerry Pearl.

Outages have been rare in the BlackBerry's nine-year history, but when they do hit, subscribers who have become addicted to the gadgets are quick to unleash their fury.

"I'm mad — it's enough already," said a frustrated Stuart Gold, who said he gets 1,000 e-mails a day as director of field marketing for Web analytics company Omniture Inc.

Gold, who worked most of Monday on a laptop while traveling, plans to ask his company to buy him a backup smart phone from a rival like Palm Inc., which makes the Treo, in case BlackBerry service goes on the blink again.

"I don't know what happened, I don't care what happened. They need to save their excuses for someone who cares," Gold said.

RIM has 12 million subscribers worldwide and has deals with scores of wireless carriers to offer the BlackBerry service around the world.

The company did not say how many were affected, though officials with AT&T Inc. and Verizon Wireless said RIM told them the outage hit customers of all wireless carriers. Bell Canada spokesman Jason Laszlo said the majority of its BlackBerry customers were affected.

On Monday, users described frantic moments of tapping away at disabled machines before realizing an outage had zapped their service.

"Everyone's in crisis because they're all picking away at their BlackBerrys and nothing's happening," Garth Turner, a member of the Canadian Parliament, said during a caucus meeting. "It's almost like cutting the phone cables or a total collapse in telegraph lines a century ago. It just isolates people in a way that's quite phenomenal."

The last major BlackBerry outage struck in April, when a minor software upgrade crashed the system, triggering complaints from always-on users all the way up to the White House and Canada's Parliament. A smaller disruption occurred in September, when a software glitch stanched the flow of e-mails.

The previous BlackBerry outages have prompted angry backlashes against RIM because of the company's lengthy silences about what caused them and the cryptic and jargon-laden explanations that eventually emerge.

RIM waited two days after the April outage before telling customers what happened.

The last major failures were nearly two years before that. The company angered users by waiting hours before confirming the problem, then issuing a confusing technological description of what happened.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...Qe1pgD8UORFK00

BlackBerry Service `Fully, Quickly' Restored After Disruption

By Chiara Remondini and Lori Rothman
    More Photos/Details

Feb. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Research In Motion Ltd. said that a disruption in its Blackberry e-mail service in North America was "fully and quickly'' restored and no messages were lost.

"It was pretty focused and isolated and we recovered well,'' Co-Chief Executive Officer James Balsillie said in an interview at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona today. ``We apologize for any inconvenience.''

A network breakdown disrupted BlackBerry for about 8 million North American customers yesterday, the biggest failure for Waterloo, Canada-based Research In Motion in 10 months. Research In Motion has about 12 million subscribers worldwide, including Wall Street bankers, members of the U.S. Congress and President George W. Bush.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...k&refer=canada
    Last edited by chefcraig; 02.12.08 at 10:12 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My boss has been suggesting I get a Blackberry for work and I've been fighting his wishes because, with my cell phone and laptop, I feel I'm plugged in enough. I'm using this latest outage as ammunition to enforce my justifcation for not getting one.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by looper_guy View Post
    My boss has been suggesting I get a Blackberry for work and I've been fighting his wishes because, with my cell phone and laptop, I feel I'm plugged in enough. I'm using this latest outage as ammunition to enforce my justifcation for not getting one.
    Fight it tooth and nail!! THe Blackberry just further blurs the already fuzzy line between work and the rest of your life. Once you get the Blackberry, youre expected to answer inane emails at 3 AM Saturday, no matter what else is going on.

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Wow, what a tragedy! I can't wait to see how dependant we are on technology in another 15 years.

My Ferrari broke down the other day... ...so I had to take the Porche instead!
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    Wow, what a tragedy!
    Actually, it could have been...we use Blackberries to communicate with EMTs and medical staff, so if someone didnt get a message to pick up a patient, or that a hospital was diverting calls, someone very well could have died.
    We're not talking about Britney not being able to download ring-tones, but about actual critical, life-or-death communications.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    Wow, what a tragedy! I can't wait to see how dependant we are on technology in another 15 years.
    And the winner for scariest thought goes to......
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

08.13.10 @ 09:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fight it tooth and nail!! THe Blackberry just further blurs the already fuzzy line between work and the rest of your life. Once you get the Blackberry, youre expected to answer inane emails at 3 AM Saturday, no matter what else is going on.
    Speak for yourself, I have had a blackberry for 3 years and love every minute of it. Im a bank manger and get emails both from the bank and personal along not to mention text messaging and of course phone. If you hate the b-berry as much as you say you do get rid of it, if you have to have it for work and hate it sorry about your luck, but an outage is an outage and things happen, the damn I/ME mentallity is exactly why the US is being flushed down the toilet. Thanks..

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE ROTH View Post
    Speak for yourself, I have had a blackberry for 3 years and love every minute of it. Im a bank manger and get emails both from the bank and personal along not to mention text messaging and of course phone. If you hate the b-berry as much as you say you do get rid of it, if you have to have it for work and hate it sorry about your luck, but an outage is an outage and things happen, the damn I/ME mentallity is exactly why the US is being flushed down the toilet. Thanks..
    Actually, I never said I hate it. I LOVE the functionality and push-email. LooperGuy feels he's connected enough NOW...he's gonna hate the Blackberry "leash" effect. I hate the leash feeling too, but my BB is critical to my job, so I deal with it.
    And WHAT "I/ME" mentality? If you read my original post, I wasnt pissed about the outage, but the fact that no one at RIM thought to notify the affected users. But its good to know that Im so personally responsible for the US going down the toilet. And all this time I was thinking it was related to illegal wars, over-extended credit, and our inability to compete with emerging countries....good to know I have this power!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am. I already get work calls on my cell phone at all hours of the day/night because of the international nature of my job. Easier access to e-mail is the last thing I need. Then I won't be able to waste my time posting in forums dedicated to dysfunctional Rock bands.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

If you read my original post, I wasnt pissed about the outage, but the fact that no one at RIM thought to notify the affected users.
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but if their messaging system was down, how do you think they would have notified you? And if you noticed it was down, would someone telling you what you already knew actually accomplish anything?

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but if their messaging system was down, how do you think they would have notified you? And if you noticed it was down, would someone telling you what you already knew actually accomplish anything?
    I thought he said it would have been helpful for them to say it on an automated service when you called in trying to find out what is going on. At least it would give you something to go on in a process of elimination instead of waiting for an hour and no one answers the phone to say "our systems are down and we are working to resolve the problem. We can not give an exact time to when the system will be back up but be patient and know that we are working to resolve it as quickly as possible". He said they kept trying to reboot the system because they had no idea where the problem was originating.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

That's the problem with complex systems. When they go down, you can't always find the root cause of the problem. ETAs and such are generally meaningless. When they go down, those that use them often know just as much about the situation as those trying to fix them.