Register
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 10:49 AM
    Liked 495 Times in 291 Posts

Donor

Default *** Ft. Lauderdale Reviews ***

Reviews only. All other posts shall meet their fate in the dark Links abyss of doom.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

08.13.08 @ 08:01 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Longtime lurker, first ever post. Just got back from the show, and it was unbelievable A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!! This was my 5th time seeing Van Halen, and this was by far the best I have ever seen them. I was a little worried by some of the mixed reviews, but VH delivered tonight!

In terms of sound, there were a few issues with Dave and Wolf's mics not being up high enough at different parts of the show, and more than a few times where the distortion was overpowering. The biggest technical difficulty I saw was Ed had a hell of a time with his guitar cord. First time it got wrapped around the whammy bar and total screwed up the intro to Somebody Get Me A Doctor. Saw him at least 5 or 6 other times fighting the cord. He really needs to give up the cord and go back to wireless.

Dave was unbelievable. Again, having never seen Dave and seeing some of the video clips with the less than stellar quality, I wasn't sure what to expect. He blew me away, kept the cheesy lines to a minimum, and sound great.

Wolfie seemed to move about the stage a little more than I've heard, although he didn't venture out onto the S ramp into the crowd until the very beginning of 1984/Jump. He sounded decent with the harmonies, but actually talking...man, puberty in full force. Once again, he screwed up the "C'mon Dave gimme a break' line, and sound like one of the chipmunks. Still he did an admirable job on the bass.

It was good to see Ed moving around all over the place tonight. That's something I missed the last 2 times I saw VH in concert. He broke out the drill and a drumstick during his solo. His overall sound was pretty good.

Sure wish I had tickets for the 2nd show at the end of February.
    Last edited by derekr508; 02.12.08 at 07:33 PM. Reason: needed to finish the post..

Last Online

05.04.17 @ 06:44 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 16 Posts

Premium Member

Cool, i'm the first one to review Ft. Lauderdale...oops...now the second

My first show of this tour was opening night in Charlotte so this is a nice comparison of seeing a band 5 months later into their tour. My overall summary is this...

Total show grade = B-

Charlotte was a much better show on many levels. Tonight had a very odd tone to it and I think there is tension between Ed and David.

First let's discuss the sound..LOUD! I like loud shows but this was a little over the top. I put some paper towel in them after the first song so it was better but man...

Next, the opening songs through Dance the night away were good...Al's drum solo was amazing (as always).

Dave completely cut out his Ice Cream Man rap and went right into Ice Cream Man. Eddie completely sucked on that song and his solo really was pathetic. I hate like hell to admit it. He seemed like he just couldnt play that solo anymore. I even saw Dave look at Al like he was pissed and that is sounded like shit.

Oh, I wanted to mention that Wolfgang has a mean case of acne. The camera really showed lots of red marks on his face. It looked like a moderate to severe case of pimples. I'm not saying this in a mean way...I hope he gets some medication for it. I had bad acne as a teenager and it can really suck!! Plus with his sweating...it probably doesnt help. But hey...he's a teenager...

Eddie's solo was pretty bad tonight. I was bored and so was my friend. IN fact he said unsolicited that Ed was the weak link tonight.

I don't think Ed is drinking...I think he is tired and getting old...plain as that.

Dave sang great tonight and Wolfgang is a beast on the bass. He really has a command of the instrument and I look forward to what is in store for his future.

As for Van Halen's future as a band...well that remains to be seen. I would love to hear a new song one of these days.

I'm a little bummed out after tonight's show. I'll always have Charlotte though!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.20.12 @ 04:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Agree with both posts. I saw the opening shows on the 2004 and 2007 tours. Also the South Florida stops for both those tours. I was even in the pit for the 2004 Ft. Lauderdale show so understand that I'm a true fan.

Charlotte was a good show in 2007. But I am pissed at the band members, plain and simple. Let me explain:

The sound was horrible. Everyone in my group said it unsolicited. I heard people after the show, walking to their cars, saying the same thing. DLR said in the middle of the show, "we're having some problems with the monitor but we're going to keep going anyhow." It was pure mud sounding, with distorted heavy bass masking the vocals and Ed's guitar. I was sitting right behind the mixing board, so the sound should have been damn good at that location.

Why is it that seasoned professionals (not Wolfgang), with a professional crew and management, can't get the sound right night after night? Other rock acts don't have this same problem. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's a little important for the sound to be good when I'm going to a rock concert, especially when the tickets are $ 150 each. Ed is a self proclaimed 'tone chaser', so what gives. He's got to know that 20,000 people are coming to hear him play and walking away really dissapointed in the sound quality. It's not good enough for the 3 adult band members to show up, get along and play music. The fans need to be respected. The band needs to puts their foot down and gets this endless sound problem fixed! Be professionals and show some respect for the people who have supported you for the last 20-30 years, in all your reincarnations.

And I don't want to forget the video screen guy. For some reason, he thinks he's an artist and put the screen in black & white mode for the first 4 or 5 songs. Bad choice. It's 2008...give us color.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

05.04.08 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I couldn't disagree more with either post about the sound.

I was lucky enough to score 2nd row seats tonight, nearly dead center (closer to Eddie),
    and the sound couldn't have been better.

I caught them in Detroit back in October and had 11th row, Eddie's side, and the sound
    sucked BAD. I just assumed the venue in Detroit was bad with acoustics.

About the solo - I have to disagree here again and say that I thought Ed brought it tonight.
    He improvised a little, but it sounded good.
    Some parts were different, yes, but good.
    It was nothing like the crap I heard during the 3 shows I saw in 2004,
    or the show I saw in Detroit last October.

I give his solo tonight an A-,
    with an A+++ being something like this:

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

11.30.16 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Here's the Sun-Sentinel review:

Gone so long -- banished, really -- David Lee Roth practically qualifies as Van Halen's new lead singer. And doesn't he know it. The huge smile tattooed on Roth's face on Tuesday night at sold-out BankAtlantic Center gave him the look of a disbelieving contestant, as if he'd just won the job on a reality show.

Van Halen proved it didn't need "Diamond Dave," their first frontman, to prosper and carry on as kings of radio rock. But his return, on a tour reprising the Roth/Van Halen years (1978-1985), gives this band a motivating kick in the backside and a reason to exist -- besides money -- that otherwise might not have presented itself.

There's a lot of music to be played and reclaimed -- songs that held up well enough with Roth's successor, Sammy Hagar, at the microphone but never sounded ideal. Hagar is a power vocalist; Roth more of a showman employing theatrics, timing and a bit of comedy. The first six albums depended on the sound of Roth sparring with the Van Halen brothers -- guitarist Eddie and drummer Alex -- and then-bassist Michael Anthony.

Roth's position in Van Halen might or might not be provisional, but if he doesn't own the job free and clear he certainly owned his performance on Tuesday in front of more than 15,000 people. With his voice sounding not-unpleasantly rough, and his vocals getting little or no sweetening from the soundboard, Roth sang, yelped, blustered, barked and crooned his way admirably through 23 songs in two hours of stage time.

Even his occasionally awestruck demeanor helped: Roth, 52, seems to be rediscovering what a fun band Van Halen is to be in. The mix of joy and relish he brought to being the frontman again was one of the concert's most appealing features.

And apparently, he doesn't want to muck it up. He was charming in the care he took when interacting with his bandmates, including new bassist Wolfgang Van Halen, Eddie's teen-aged son. It was as if Roth wondered how much horseplay was appropriate, how much he could presume on the old relationships.

The trio of Van Halens looked and sounded happy in any case to have Roth back in the fold. They performed with as much spirit and engagement as he did, from the slashing first strokes of "You Really Got Me" to a buoyant encore, two hours later, of "Jump." The new, familial rhythm section of Alex and his nephew attacked the band's pumped-up, pop-savvy rock songs expertly. "Unchained" contained the only miscue, insofar as something caused the youngest Van Halen's bass guitar to slip audibly out of tune.

The set contained just about anything a Roth-era Van Halen fan could have asked for. There were signature hits such as "Runnin' with the Devil" and "Hot for Teacher." There were "deep tracks" of the kind that separate casual fans from the devout, such as "Romeo Delight" and "Mean Street."

Eddie Van Halen's guitar work was the most essential ingredient in all of these, and he played as he always does -- like a race driver with the hood off the engine, the better to reach into the guts of the machinery to get every rev to its absolute peak and to put every ounce of power at his disposal. There's also a case to be made that having Roth as a spur made Eddie Van Halen that much sharper and faster around the course.

Van Halen plays the BankAtlantic Center again on February 20.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/entertai...,2472152.story

Couldn't make it last night but I'll be there on the 20th.

Last Online

05.04.17 @ 06:44 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 16 Posts

Premium Member

Thanks Menlow. I agree with the write up with the exception of Ed. I think Ed wasn't on tonight for a few songs. I enjoyed his playing on a ton of stuff and shit...he plays circles around my guitar noodling but he was better in Charlotte...just my opinion. I might go to the 20th as well if I can cough up the dough and not be traveling.

Anyway, one item I forgot to mention last night was when Ed's guitar cord came out of the jack during his solo...he then proceeded to plug it into his face...it was actually hysterical and I enjoyed that bit of humor.

I do think VH will go on because Alex and Wofgang freakin jam together. One of the best rhythm sections in all of rock in my opinion now. Wolfgang has really grown on this tour. The difference between last night's playing and Charlotte are huge. He was solid in Charlotte. Last night he was a monster on a lot of songs.

Dave was really solid in his singing and is in amazing shape. Wish I looked that good!

I think of Ed as an athlete on the guitar. As you get older...some things just arent achievable...

They still kicked ass...just wasnt a top show.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.14.08 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Bank Atlantic Center Feb. 12

All I can say is the band ROCKED, the sound SUCKED! I can't believe a pro band of this magnitude puts on such an awesome show, and the singer couldn't be heard most of the time. Oh, you knew he was singing, but nobody could understand a damn word. It sounded like he was in a cave mostof the time. For $150, I wanted to really hear the guys full blast. Great performance, but what a huge disappointment. They should give a discount for ticket holders from the 2/12 show to see them again on 2/20.

Favorite VH Album

First 6
    Last Online

09.16.15 @ 09:37 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 2 Posts

[QUOTE=BigAl_F;938298]Agree with both posts. I saw the opening shows on the 2004 and 2007 tours. Also the South Florida stops for both those tours. I was even in the pit for the 2004 Ft. Lauderdale show so understand that I'm a true fan.

Charlotte was a good show in 2007. But I am pissed at the band members, plain and simple. Let me explain:

The sound was horrible. Everyone in my group said it unsolicited. I heard people after the show, walking to their cars, saying the same thing. DLR said in the middle of the show, "we're having some problems with the monitor but we're going to keep going anyhow." It was pure mud sounding, with distorted heavy bass masking the vocals and Ed's guitar. I was sitting right behind the mixing board, so the sound should have been damn good at that location.

Why is it that seasoned professionals (not Wolfgang), with a professional crew and management, can't get the sound right night after night? Other rock acts don't have this same problem. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's a little important for the sound to be good when I'm going to a rock concert, especially when the tickets are $ 150 each. Ed is a self proclaimed 'tone chaser', so what gives. He's got to know that 20,000 people are coming to hear him play and walking away really dissapointed in the sound quality. It's not good enough for the 3 adult band members to show up, get along and play music. The fans need to be respected. The band needs to puts their foot down and gets this endless sound problem fixed! Be professionals and show some respect for the people who have supported you for the last 20-30 years, in all your reincarnations.

And I don't want to forget the video screen guy. For some reason, he thinks he's an artist and put the screen in black & white mode for the first 4 or 5 songs. Bad choice. It's 2008...give us color.[

I agree..I also think that the Bank Atlantic Center is not a good place for concerts...the sound in there echos & lots of reverb!
    Last edited by Lor5150; 02.13.08 at 01:56 PM.
    Class Dismissed!