Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.22.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts

OK--May have been posted but, I am disappointed about the set list

Prefacing my post by saying I have seen FIVE shows on the tour, including the stellar Philly night 1, The MSG Return to Glory and the Nassau and NJ shows ,as well as Mohegan. That being said I HOPED--Yes, hope, since this is VH--that the time off and rst would yield a changed set order or 1-2 NEW song inclusions...not much to ask. How hard is it to rehearse 2 or more songs? Not hard at all. My band, albeit a cover band, frequently rotates in and out 20 songs per show. Mind you, we did not WRITE these songs, whereas VH did. To me it's either LAZINESS OR GREED or both. They know what he fans want. They know they are hitting venues and areas for the 2nd or 3rd time. Yes, some areas are still seeing it for the first time and are banking on that initial set list (which, dont get me wrong is KILLER and only a few changes like opening with something else and ditching PRETTY WOMAN--would be needed) But come on, boys....How hard is it to add something like GIRL GONE BAD, ON FIRE, SECRETS, HEAR ABOUT IT LATER. For your fans--the ones paying up to 200 a pop--sometimes multiple shows. Is it that hard? I welcome all sides to this, but again, before you reply, don't let them off the hook by saying it's been 20 years, they're in their 50's, the set list is fine the way it is...etc. Bands like Pearl Jam change ENTIRE sets from night to night and 50+ Bruce changes a minimum of 5-6 songs per night. OK--ENUFF FROM ME--LET'S HEAR FROM YOU!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

08.06.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts

I here your concern. I have gone to four shows, and I am going to four more. I would love a diverse setlist. But the people that go to more than one show are a small minority. And since VH hasn't toured with the original lineup in over two decades, most people that will be at the show will be there for maybe the first or second time. They want to hear the hits. They want a polished performance.

To put it another way, I am going to see Billy Joel for the first time in a couple of months. I want to hear Billy Joel's Greatest Hits - not a bunch of deep cuts or something off the "new album."
    I don't have a cool signature. Deal with it!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.17.15 @ 11:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by simplerhym View Post
    Prefacing my post by saying I have seen FIVE shows on the tour, including the stellar Philly night 1, The MSG Return to Glory and the Nassau and NJ shows ,as well as Mohegan. That being said I HOPED--Yes, hope, since this is VH--that the time off and rst would yield a changed set order or 1-2 NEW song inclusions...not much to ask. How hard is it to rehearse 2 or more songs? Not hard at all. My band, albeit a cover band, frequently rotates in and out 20 songs per show. Mind you, we did not WRITE these songs, whereas VH did. To me it's either LAZINESS OR GREED or both. They know what he fans want. They know they are hitting venues and areas for the 2nd or 3rd time. Yes, some areas are still seeing it for the first time and are banking on that initial set list (which, dont get me wrong is KILLER and only a few changes like opening with something else and ditching PRETTY WOMAN--would be needed) But come on, boys....How hard is it to add something like GIRL GONE BAD, ON FIRE, SECRETS, HEAR ABOUT IT LATER. For your fans--the ones paying up to 200 a pop--sometimes multiple shows. Is it that hard? I welcome all sides to this, but again, before you reply, don't let them off the hook by saying it's been 20 years, they're in their 50's, the set list is fine the way it is...etc. Bands like Pearl Jam change ENTIRE sets from night to night and 50+ Bruce changes a minimum of 5-6 songs per night. OK--ENUFF FROM ME--LET'S HEAR FROM YOU!
    It would be nice, but...

My comments on a couple of your specific alternative suggestions;

Girls Gone Bad...Huge issue with ability to play the guitar. On Fire, to me this high pitched vocal sounded too Deep Purple 1970's already by 1980...only good part is the killer artificial harmonic....based on the guitar solos and versions of panama, no reason to believe he can hit this cue reliably and the song is nothing without it.

In general;

David Lee Roth is known as a control freak. He would love the idea of nailing it down and leaving it. (Control the sound, control the image, control the soundbite etc). The Van Halens used to be hypercritical of that, although the truth is that even in the Sammy years they played it safe. In my opinion they didn't use the freedom Sammy brought for excellence they used it to show up at the supermarket unshaven in track pants. In the current incarnation the tight control on the set suits them fine where there seems to be struggles with playing in time and hearing.

Even in their heyday there was no time this was an improvisational live band.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lmr5150 View Post
    I here your concern. I have gone to four shows, and I am going to four more.
    Dude......8 shows?

To each his own, but eight identical shows? I went to two in one week and had a fucking blast, but I think at most I could do one more. It would be one thing if every night was different, but these shows are choreographed to a T. It's a serious case of deja vu each night.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

06.10.08 @ 06:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2 songs

drop dead legs
    full bug

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Dude......8 shows?

To each his own, but eight identical shows? I went to two in one week and had a fucking blast, but I think at most I could do one more. It would be one thing if every night was different, but these shows are choreographed to a T. It's a serious case of deja vu each night.
    Me too. I could probably go to another one...but 2 in one week was more than enough....you really got to see how scripted it was. Kind of like watching a movie that you have seen already but you notice a couple new things in it.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

08.06.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    Me too. I could probably go to another one...but 2 in one week was more than enough....you really got to see how scripted it was. Kind of like watching a movie that you have seen already but you notice a couple new things in it.
    Romeo and Juliet is a play with the same fucking words for more than a couple of centuries . . . but still a good time.

I agree that eight seems excessive. But everytime I hear the opening chords to Panama live, it is worthwhile.
    Last edited by lmr5150; 02.11.08 at 09:42 PM.
    I don't have a cool signature. Deal with it!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:53 PM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 905 Posts

Sure it would be nice to see a little change but I don't think it's going to happen.

So, enjoy what you get cuz it may be gone after April.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 595 Times in 365 Posts

Donor

We've had multiple setlist threads for this tour, a few of which this discussion would be best suited for. I'm closing, but feel free to search for an older thread and continue there.