Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

Default Don't Forget About Phil Collins

I was checking out a few of these clips today and remembered what an incdreible drummer Phil Collins was in his prime. While some may only knkow him from his poppy ballads, etc., he wrote and performed some of the most challenging rock music off all-time. His work with Brand X and some of the clips below show this stuff.

Check out these clips, man. Cool stuff. I can't imagine playing a 2.5 hour concert of this stuff. I love VH's music, but 4/4 material is a lot easier mentally.

A couple more . . .

Los Endos

In The Cage
    (start at about 1m)

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

People also don't realize that his solo albums and 80's Genesis albums didn't not consist solely of pop ballads...or even a majority. It's unfortunate because there is a lot of good stuff in there. He got crucified because he had a way with a melody. But back to the topic...his drumming is top notch.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheInside1985 View Post
    People also don't realize that his solo albums and 80's Genesis albums didn't not consist solely of pop ballads...or even a majority. It's unfortunate because there is a lot of good stuff in there. He got crucified because he had a way with a melody. But back to the topic...his drumming is top notch.
    sorry I didn't mean to type "didn't not"...that would be poor grammar and the opposite of what I meant haha.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Right behind Mr. Neil Peart, Phil is my favorite drummer. People say how he ruined Genesis, but really if you look into their "ballady" catalog (Throwing It All Away, Hold On My Heart), those were mostly Banks / Rutherford pieces.

Matter of fact, it was Phil who wanted to add "Carpet Crawlers" on the last leg of the "We Can't Dance" Tour, so he never totally abandoned his progressive rock roots.

Saw Genesis twice on their last reunion tour, and they were phenomenal shows. Phil's still got it in terms of both drumming and singing, on the older and newer material. People often overlook the work he's done before '80s Genesis with the band, such as "Duke", "Trick of the Tail", and "Wind and Wuthering", which are heavily in the vein of the Gabriel era (except for maybe "Duke", which is without question their most unique album).

His skill and technique as a drummer has ALWAYS impressed me, something the common music fan overlooks as he's just "The Tarzan Guy who ruined Genesis". Nice thread
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vhrocks2005 View Post
    Right behind Mr. Neil Peart, Phil is my favorite drummer. People say how he ruined Genesis, but really if you look into their "ballady" catalog (Throwing It All Away, Hold On My Heart), those were mostly Banks / Rutherford pieces.

Matter of fact, it was Phil who wanted to add "Carpet Crawlers" on the last leg of the "We Can't Dance" Tour, so he never totally abandoned his progressive rock roots.

Saw Genesis twice on their last reunion tour, and they were phenomenal shows. Phil's still got it in terms of both drumming and singing, on the older and newer material. People often overlook the work he's done before '80s Genesis with the band, such as "Duke", "Trick of the Tail", and "Wind and Wuthering", which are heavily in the vein of the Gabriel era (except for maybe "Duke", which is without question their most unique album).

His skill and technique as a drummer has ALWAYS impressed me, something the common music fan overlooks as he's just "The Tarzan Guy who ruined Genesis". Nice thread
    I wish I could've seen them on the 2007 tour. They never came anywhere close to Texas though. That's not uncommon. People must hate Texas. Anyway...I do have the live album and I love it. In terms of singing....Phil is brilliant at changing melodies to suit his voice. He changes them up and they're still very pleasant. The songs still sound fantastic even if his voice has lost a bit. That's unusual. I think the version of No Son of Mine on the live album is the best I've heard. In the Cage is great too. And Ripples....wow. He's a brilliant entertainer.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Damn. I was almost over Phil Collins then, Bam! This happens...

Last Online

01.23.14 @ 07:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

duke is a classic. fantastic songs and one of the best "sounding" albums.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

My wife and I were in Europe on vacation this summer and the reunion tour happened to be going on. We caught the sold-out show in Amsterdam (along with another 75,000 people. It was brilliant.

This is off the topic of his drumming, but those guys sure can throw together an amazing production! Check this out . . .

acs

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.13.13 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was so "cool" to bag on Phil for so many years, it is good to see him getting his due for a change. I think his drumming/vocal work in Genesis/Brand X/Early Solo work speaks for itself. On his drumming I always think of an interview of Jason Bonham I once read, he stated that when his dad was teaching him the drums, he would put on a Genesis record and say "Son that's the way it's done" I would say an endorsement by John Bonham holds some clout!
    JD

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:18 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dr.bullet View Post
    duke is a classic. fantastic songs and one of the best "sounding" albums.
    Not to turn this into a Genesis thread ('cause we already have one), but Duke was never a favourite sounding album out of the Genesis I own.

I like Phil's earlier solo stuff (didn't buy the albums that came out after ...But Seriously), but I didn't like the fact that Genesis started sounding a lot like those albums. Always makes me wonder what the point is of making solo albums if they're going to sound just like the albums you make with the band.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Not to turn this into a Genesis thread ('cause we already have one), but Duke was never a favourite sounding album out of the Genesis I own.

I like Phil's earlier solo stuff (didn't buy the albums that came out after ...But Seriously), but I didn't like the fact that Genesis started sounding a lot like those albums. Always makes me wonder what the point is of making solo albums if they're going to sound just like the albums you make with the band.
    maybe in a vague way they sound similar but if you're being serious and you really listen they don't. Tony is the dominant sound in all Genesis music. Phil can't replicate Tony on his own thats for sure. He also made extensive use of a horn section which, aside from No Reply At All and Paperlate, was not used in Genesis music. And all the Genesis albums from the self-titled (1983) on were all entirely group written. And the majority of Abacab was group written as well. Phil also wrote his own songs by himself which he put on his solo albums and he likes singing his own lyrics. The Genesis lyrics writing was split between the three of them by that point.

He has said that he kept going with Genesis even with his enormous solo success because he got something out of Genesis that he simply couldn't get by himself. So to him it was different as well.

The weird thing is by the time he quit Genesis he never again had a truly successful solo album (though the tarzan song was a huge hit)....though I really dig both sides.....Dance into the light and testify only have moments.
    Last edited by OnTheInside1985; 02.12.08 at 03:44 PM.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Well, I didn't exactly mean you could put 'em in together and hit shuffle and not be able to tell which is which, and you are definitely right that Banks gives something to Genesis that wasn't found on a Collins solo album, but still there seemed to be a carry over - "No Son Of Mine" sounds like it could have been on ...But Seriously, "Anything She Does" might've been at home on No Jacket Required - not every track from every album, but there did seem to be some influence in some of the songs.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Default Phil Collins Talks Motown Covers Album, Genesis' Future

article on billboard.com today:

http://www.billboard.com/#/features/...04114435.story

kinda surprised what he says about Genesis (in the Robert Plant reply).

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Nice thread. I've a lot of memories with Phil Collins music.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Keep in mind with this post that if I had to pick a favorite overall musical talent for myself, I'd choose Phil Collins in a heartbeat. I admire the man's artistic capabilities in a lot of ways.

Far as I'm concerned he can put out all the solo shit he wants to. It stopped being good after "But Seriously..."

I honestly believe leaving Tony and Mike in 1996 stunted his creativity. I do. To me, his solo projects seemed like liberations for him; as if he was doing Genesis material as a main job and the solo records were him being free to do whatever he wanted, thus, their quality was tremendous. He used his solo outlets to say "Look, Genesis isn't the only thing I'm capable of doing" and really proved himself to be an independent force in the music world.

I don't care what anyone says though, anything he did in Genesis and Brand X (aside from Invisible Touch) trumps his solo career. The first three albums were good but to me, it seemed like he was commercializing his name a little too much, and I think he was proud of that. I don't think he showed off his genuine talents in his solo efforts.

To make this long story short, Phil's solo efforts are generic pop to me, while he was a special force in Genesis and Brand X. Like I said, his first three solo records were good. Not great, but good. Then they started deteriorating in quality before we got Dance Into The Light and, thus, Tarzan. And Tarzan did incredibly well, but it just wasn't the same Phil Collins.

What sucks is, as a college student, when someone asks me what music I listen to and I tell them "Phil Collins," they identify him as "Oh, the Tarzan guy?" It's frustrating, because he represented a different guy before that, and a totally different musical strength. What sucks even worse is that, on Calling All Stations, I can totally hear Phil drumming and singing on some of those tracks. They were much edgier than the Genesis we were used to, but I can see him doing that regardless.

I guess I just have a hard time understanding why in the world he would leave Genesis which was clearly a special brotherhood, to just do generic solo pop music people stopped caring about long before he left the band? Though in hindsight, he obviously wasn't very happy in Genesis for awhile.

The part about Genesis is not only sad, but confusing. He said he couldn't do Genesis anymore because of his drumming, then how could he even possibly consider doing a solo album? I don't know, that caught me off guard.

The reality is Genesis doesn't need to be over. I think Tony and Mike are always ready to get back to work, but between the prima donna singers Phil and Peter, they really can't, especially after the Calling All Stations disaster. And I understand Phil's point about spending time with his kids as he's nearing 60 and that's respectable.

But would simply recording an album take him away from that? Sure looks like he didn't worry about that recording in New York for his solo album.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.