Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Default Van Gogh, Monet art goes in $90M heist

Van Gogh, Monet art goes in $90M heist

(CNN) -- Several paintings by some of the most celebrated European artists have been stolen from a Zurich gallery.

The Emil-Georg Byhrle private art foundation in Zurich from which works by Cezanne, Degas, Monet and Van Gogh were stolen.

Works by Paul Cezanne, Edgar Degas, Claude Monet and Vincent van Gogh were stolen from an art foundation's gallery in Zurich, Switzerland, according to Bernd Quellenberg, a spokesman for the Kunsthaus, a major art museum in Zurich.

Police in Zurich told AFP that the stolen works, valued at 100 million Swiss frances ($91M), are: "Poppies near Vetheuil" by Claude Monet (1879), "Count Lepic and his Daughters" by Edgar Degas (1871), "Chestnut in Bloom" by Vincent Van Gogh (1890) and "Boy in a Red Jacket" by Paul Cezanne (1888).

The paintings were stolen from a gallery maintained by the Emil-Georg Byhrle private art foundation, he said. The director of the Kunsthaus serves on the foundation's council.

The art heist follows the recent theft in Switzerland of two paintings by Pablo Picasso, he said.

In that case, thieves stole two oil paintings by Picasso from a museum near Zurich. The paintings, the 1962 "Tete de Cheval" ("Horse's Head") and the 1944 "Verre et Pichet" ("Glass and Pitcher"), were on loan from a German museum and valued at $4.5 million when they were stolen February 6, according to news reports.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Works by Paul Cezanne, Edgar Degas, Claude Monet and Vincent van Gogh were stolen from an art foundation's gallery in Zurich, Switzerland, according to Bernd Quellenberg, a spokesman for the Kunsthaus, a major art museum in Zurich.

I'll bet they only did it for the Monet.

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post

I'll bet they only did it for the Monet.
    Count DeMonet
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:22 AM
    Liked 2,209 Times in 1,113 Posts

Premium Member

They got their Monet for nothin'....

I wonder if their chicks were free?
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I hear about art thefts from museums I always wonder what the theives are going to do with these artworks. I picture a guy, wearing a trenchcoat, standing on a streetcorner and saying, "Pssst, I got some quality art for you," then flashing a framed picture.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterdays View Post
    When I hear about art thefts from museums I always wonder what the theives are going to do with these artworks. I picture a guy, wearing a trenchcoat, standing on a streetcorner and saying, "Pssst, I got some quality art for you," then flashing a framed picture.
    I always think about some guy rich beyond imagination who hires the people so that he can hang the art in a room for his own personal enjoyment since if someone would recognize the art, he would be in jail or at the very least, have it taken away.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmmm, a billionaire recluse....Are there any left?

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, he doesn't have to be a recluse. He just has to have a room that is off limits to guests.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Have it just to have it? Gotta wonder about the security in these places. How did they pull it off?
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Swiss police recover stolen masterpieces

(CNN) -- Police in Switzerland have recovered artworks stolen earlier this month in a daring heist at a Zurich museum, Geneva police said Tuesday.

The police could not say whether some or all of the four Impressionist masterpieces were recovered. A news conference was planned later in the day with more details.

The four paintings are worth a total of about $163 million (180 million Swiss francs).

Police said three masked men stole the paintings in a "spectacular" heist February 11 at the E.G Buhrle Collection -- among the finest collections of Impressionist and post-Impressionist art in the world.

One of the men threatened personnel at the museum's front door with a pistol and forced them to the ground, police said, while the other two men went into an exhibition room and stole four oil paintings by Paul Cezanne, Edgar Degas, Claude Monet and Vincent van Gogh.

Afterward, the three men loaded the paintings -- Monet's "Poppies near Vetheuil," Degas' "Count Lepic and his Daughters," van Gogh's "Blossoming Chestnut Branches" and Cezanne's "Boy in a Red Vest" -- into a white car parked in front of the museum and then drove off, police said.

A reward of $91,000 (100,00 Swiss francs) was posted for information leading to the return of the paintings, police said.

The Swiss art heist followed the recent theft in Switzerland of two paintings by Pablo Picasso, said Bjoern Quellenberg, a spokesman for the Kunsthaus, a major art museum in Zurich.

The director of the Kunsthaus serves on the E.G. Buhrle private art foundation's council, Quellenberg said.

In that theft, thieves stole the 1962 "Tete de Cheval" ("Horse's Head") and the 1944 "Verre et Pichet" ("Glass and Pitcher") by Picasso. They were on loan from a German museum and valued at $4.5 million when they were stolen February 6, according to news reports.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Uhmm...those stolen artworks were recovered in an automobile. The fact that it was parked outside a nuthouse was not initially mentioned.

Hunt for stolen art leads to parked car

By ERNST E. ABEGG, Associated Press Writer1 hour, 57 minutes ago

A frantic search for four stolen Impressionist paintings led to a most unlikely place: the parking lot of a mental hospital just a few hundred yards from the scene of the crime.

There, in the back seat of an unlocked car, a painting by Claude Monet and another by Vincent van Gogh were found Monday in perfect condition, authorities said Tuesday.

The paintings, worth $64 million combined, were still under the display glass used by the private museum from which they were stolen in a Feb. 10 armed robbery, museum director Lukas Gloor said.

"I am incredibly relieved that two paintings have returned," Gloor said. "We're very happy that both the paintings are in absolutely impeccable shape."

The other two paintings taken from the E.G. Buehrle Collection — by Paul Cezanne and Edgar Degas — remain missing, police said. Together, the four paintings are worth an estimated $163 million.

Art experts have suggested that the robbers took advantage of what appeared to be an easy mark — a low-security museum — without knowing much about art or how difficult it can be to sell such well-known works.

"The robbery was not done with knowledge about art," Gloor said.

The robbers took the first four paintings they came across when they raided the museum shortly before closing on a Sunday afternoon. Although they managed to take the most valuable painting in the collection — Cezanne's "Boy in the Red Waistcoat" — they passed over the second-most valuable picture, another Cezanne.

Gloor said he suspected the robbers abandoned the two paintings, which were the largest of the four, because their size complicated transporting them.

They were discovered Monday on the back seat of a white sedan in a parking lot in front of the University Psychiatric Clinic. It was not known how long the car had been there, police said.

An employee of the clinic making a routine check of the lot noted the car because it was unlocked. Police immediately sealed off the area, examined the car and hauled it away.

Police had said initially that a white vehicle might have been used by the three robbers when they made their escape. The clinic is about 500 yards from the museum.

The recovered paintings — Monet's "Poppy field at Vetheuil" and van Gogh's "Blooming Chestnut Branches" — will be returned to the museum in the coming days, Gloor said.

"But we must not forget," he added, "that two more paintings of our collection are still missing, including our collection's landmark 'Boy in the Red Waistcoat.'"

That painting alone is worth $91 million. The other missing painting is Degas' "Ludovic Lepic and his Daughter," worth $9 million.

"The most valuable one and the least valuable one are still missing," said Gloor.

Zurich police spokesman Marco Cortesi said the clinic employee who found the paintings would get a part of a $90,000 reward. He said the exact amount has yet to be determined.

Asked whether a ransom had been paid for the paintings, Cortesi said, "It is unknown whether a sum of money has moved." Gloor, standing next to him, said, "I can't give any information on that."

Interpol, which has been coordinating the international search for the paintings, said it was unable to comment on any developments because that would be up to Swiss authorities.

"Connections with other arts thefts in the country and abroad are being examined," said Cortesi.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080219/...EaxLTUzYSs0NUE
    Last edited by chefcraig; 02.19.08 at 01:37 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't understand. The robbers knew nothing about art but managed to steal a Cezanne, a Monet, a Van Gogh and a Degas?

That must be some museum if the robbers could pick any four and still get that stash.

P.S. See, they left the larger canvases. Couldn't fit them under their trenchcoats.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

I wonder what ever happened to the stage back drops from Woodstock 94 that were stolen. Those things were friggin' huge. What on earth could anyone do with those.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.