Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.15.11 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed's distortion....or is it?? How does he get it?

Just based on the Charlotte boot and the live show i attended....does Ed only use the "on board" distortion on his EVH amp? Nothing rack mounted?? it seems to be a VERY different sounding texture! Compared to say his early to mid nineties "shimmery" tone. Like it wants to be out of control "soupy" but he keeps it it check somehow. What is that???? ( It is awesome though! )

And would anyone give me the true definition of what the diff between
    "overdrive" and "distortion" is? lol

I think i am an "overdrive" guy myself like the Angus Young tone.

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Halen_Fanatic View Post
    Just based on the Charlotte boot and the live show i attended....does Ed only use the "on board" distortion on his EVH amp? Nothing rack mounted?? it seems to be a VERY different sounding texture! Compared to say his early to mid nineties "shimmery" tone. Like it wants to be out of control "soupy" but he keeps it it check somehow. What is that???? ( It is awesome though! )

I think i am an "overdrive" guy myself like the Angus Young tone.
    He switches between two channels, the main one being a natural-sounding overdriven channel that he can back off to a cleaner tone for songs like Dance the Night Away and a super-overdriven channel for songs like Mean Street and such. You can hear him switch a few times on that Charlotte boot and you can see and hear him switch on some of the YouTube vids. I'm pretty sure it's only the preamp in the new EVHs.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

theres no way the 5150 III needs any outboard distortion or overdrive.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

agreed its all down to channel switching and ed's use of the guitars volume control....which he does a lot of....its a huge part of ed's playing style, hence the reason he labeled it "tone"....remember, volume IS tone.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Ed has NEVER used an overdrive or distortion pedal for his dirty sound. It's always been his amp's tone. He used a Boss SD1 overdrive briefly in the 90s to boost the signal into his wah, but that was it.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Halen_Fanatic View Post
    I don't know how much or little you know about it, but a quick Guitar Distortion 101 lesson would go something like this: Distortion is the by-product of overdrive. There are outboard pedals that only boost the signal, there are outboard pedals that act as a pre-amp, which cause the signal to break up faster and there are pedals that actually add "fuzz" distortion circuitry to the signal. There are also outboard power attenuators that act as a buffer between the amp and the speaker, causing the amp to work as if it's actually pegged out to "10", yet with control over the volume. Natural amp distortion from an amp cranked all the way up is the purest form of "distortion", but it's rarely do-able with a high-wattage amp unless you're playing in a huge venue, so pre-amps are added to most amplifiers to emulate the natural, overdriven amp sound. Again, sorry if you already know all this, but you asked.

In Greensboro, I was seated on the floor, 20 rows back, eye-level, right in front of one of Ed's active bottom cabinets so I got a full dose of the 5150III tone all night. I thought it was great. I could hear every little nuance of his tone and to me, it's the closest live tone to the original "brown" sound that he's ever had. It sounded like he was basically relying on the amp itself for his overdriven tone for most of the night, switching to a more overdriven tone for different songs, like I mentioned in the reply earlier. The only thing it might have been missing was that he needed to "wet" it down a little with some delay. It was a very dry tone for the most part, with only the Phase, Flange and Wah, and the Cathedral delay later for the solo.

Some people have said his tone is terrible this time around, but maybe they didn't have the vantage point I had or maybe the particular venue's acoustics messed it up or maybe the amps are just not consistent, but I know what I heard and I liked it. The tone in Charlotte sounded great to me also, I just wasn't right in front of it like G-boro.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Generally speaking, in terms of guitar pedals. . .

Overdrives, push the amp over the edge and add a little extra gain or dirt, allowing the amp to do most of the work. Overdrive pedals put out a boost and slight amount of dirt.

Distortions, are typically used with a clean tone, and create the whole dirty tone by themselves, with not much coming from the amp. Distortion pedals put out a lot of drive and clipping.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Fire in the Hole
    Last Online

12.26.11 @ 12:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

on this tour I've been close enough to hear the amp on its own, and far enough back to where all I heard was the PA. Simply put the PA blows to high heaven. His tone live coming through his cabinets is really killer. I don't know that I would go as far to say its the closest thing to the THE BROWNSOUND but he's got a good amp there. Speaking as a 5150III owner, the thing has way more than enough gain/distortion/overdrive...no need to boost it with a pedal.
    Eddie and Dave...the way it was meant to be

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VanLaing5150 View Post
    on this tour I've been close enough to hear the amp on its own, and far enough back to where all I heard was the PA. Simply put the PA blows to high heaven. His tone live coming through his cabinets is really killer. I don't know that I would go as far to say its the closest thing to the THE BROWNSOUND but he's got a good amp there. Speaking as a 5150III owner, the thing has way more than enough gain/distortion/overdrive...no need to boost it with a pedal.
    Specific little things like the low-E rubbing in the intro of "Everybody Wants Some!" the "Heartbeat" section of "Romeo" and the main riff to "Atomic Punk" are some of the examples I'm talking about. There were parts where it was a little too distorted. "Mean Street" is an example where I didn't think it was that close. I've seen 'em every tour since 82, so, even though it was long ago and things tend to run together in my 41 year-old brain, I was still impressed with those nuances. It was really cool to be right in the line of fire, though. I was in roughly the same spot in Greensboro in 2004 and his tone was... well...ugh.

- DLR 2012

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Fire in the Hole
    Last Online

12.26.11 @ 12:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think when he is on the blue channel, he is close. When he is on channel 3, for rhythm stuff, that is when his tone starts slipping. Channel 2 I guess was voiced to match up the closest to his good ole brown sound and the 3rd channel or red channel is the extension of the 5150 series...
    Eddie and Dave...the way it was meant to be

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VanLaing5150 View Post
    I think when he is on the blue channel, he is close. When he is on channel 3, for rhythm stuff, that is when his tone starts slipping. Channel 2 I guess was voiced to match up the closest to his good ole brown sound and the 3rd channel or red channel is the extension of the 5150 series...
    What kind of tubes does the 5150III use?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:50 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyw View Post
    What kind of tubes does the 5150III use?
    6L6s I believe. I've only played through it once, the blue (second) channel was fantastic. The rest of the amp? Meh.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

yeah it uses 12ax7's for the preamp and 6l6's for the poweramp basically the same as the old peavey 5150 series just more of them due to it being a 3 channel amp....i'm not sure if its biased as cold as the peaveys though but from what i'm hearing it is
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!