Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:06 PM
    Liked 398 Times in 177 Posts

Default A technical question about sound, early 80's concerts vs. 08/07 concerts

I was just watching one of my South American boots. I had noticed this before but this caused me to actually post about it. In this concert Dave says "gimme some echo Roy" right after a verse that was very dry sounding with no reverb at all in the vocals. The next verse had the classic stadium style echoing vocal of Roth from those years.

I don't hear that anymore in the current tour. And did not hear it at the Seattle show I went to. Anyone have any insight into this? Is it simply a preference on Dave's/the bands part? Is it a stadium vs. arena issue?

I've always loved the echo/reverb of those early VH concerts with Dave.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I imagine it depends on the venue. When I saw them in Indy last year, I was in the upper bowl close to the metal ceiling and it was a friggin' echo chamber up there already.

Last Online

02.16.10 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Clearly if Dave is asking for "echo", the reverb is artificially added.

Tons of 80's music had tons of reverb. There is much less reverb in today's music.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:06 PM
    Liked 398 Times in 177 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by looper_guy View Post
    I imagine it depends on the venue. When I saw them in Indy last year, I was in the upper bowl close to the metal ceiling and it was a friggin' echo chamber up there already.
    Yeah, what I meant was, is there something with the acoustics of an arena that causes you not to want to add the echo to the vocals for whatever reason (sounds bad or whatever). Not do some venues echo naturally. As Mike said the reverb is added artificially through the soundboard.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xk319 View Post
    Yeah, what I meant was, is there something with the acoustics of an arena that causes you not to want to add the echo to the vocals for whatever reason (sounds bad or whatever). Not do some venues echo naturally. As Mike said the reverb is added artificially through the soundboard.

Understood. What I meant was, if a venue, such as Conesco which was seemingly not designed with acoustics in mind, has naturally occurring echo, they would want to lessen any reverb/echo via the sound system or else things would sound even more "mushy" than they already were.. The size the of the venue would be a factor as well. Smaller venues with "deader" acoustics would be more conducive for adding some reverb in the mix to give it a bigger feel. And to Mike's point, aesthetic tastes has changed. The 80's were all about getting things to sound huge. However, things evolve. There is more emphasis on sonic clarity and concision in certain quarters.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Back in the early 80's reverb was still in heavy use and digital delays were in their infancy. Analog delays were in heavy use as well.

For road shows the technology has evolved significantly since then. Back then you just had the whole main PA blasting a single stereo signal left and right. Signal processing for effects when out as a single signal direct to the power amps driving the left/right channels. It was all or none.

Today the systems can be tuned for specific delay patterns to fit the venue. Also sonic maximizers are used within the mix to delay specific signal frequencies so that the basss, mid-range and high end all arrive at the ears at the correct timing based on where you are in the arena.

The overall output is much more dry today... where-as back then you'd kick in more delay/reverb to compensate for the sound bouncing around naturally.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

06.14.16 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You must have been hearing the monitor mix because Dave would have nothing to do with the sound coming out of the PA, you can't even hear the pa on stage.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HanValen View Post
    You must have been hearing the monitor mix because Dave would have nothing to do with the sound coming out of the PA, you can't even hear the pa on stage.
    I don't know... have you ever been on stage in a large arena/colliseum with that much sound pumping out of the mains?

You can not only hear it, you can feel it. Stage monitors only help you dial in specific instruments/vocals on a localized postion.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com