Donor

Default *** Atlanta Reviews ***

Reviews only. All other posts deleted.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

03.25.08 @ 01:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey folks,

I've been a member here for a long time, but I spend a lot more time reading than I do posting, so forgive me if this rambles a bit.

In a nutshell, the show was awesome. I went in, having read all of the negative reviews, fully expecting to be a bit disappointed.

Instead, I was reminded how truly spectacular the band can be when they are all "on".

I saw Dave a few years back and Music Midtown, where he spent more time posing than he did actually singing. Last night was the complete opposite. Dave sung his tail off. Eddie played as well as I have ever seen him....he seemed to be spot on throughout the night.

The biggest suprise for me was Wolfgang. Mike has always been my favorite of the original 4, and I went in expecting to be let down by Wolfy. Instead, I was amazed at how well the kid can play. He does have the stage presence of a mouse, but with Eddie and Dave in form, I don't think anyone truly noticed.

The only downside of the evening was the sound. The mix did seem to be all out of whack. Dave seemed to be pissed off by the occasional screeching feedback that he had throughout the evening.

The most noticable incident happened about halfway through Eddie's solo, where the sound cut out completely. Eddie played it off well, and if anything, it may have made the notes sound a bit more crisp without the extra distortion. That being said, I'm a bit suprised that they're still having these issues hafway through the tour.

All in all, though, it was money well spent, and worlds better than the last stop in Atlanta in 2004.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.11.08 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could have been better

The selection of songs was good. Eddie was great. but I thought Dave showed little energy - he pretty much just walked around the stage. And had very little interaction with the crowd. back in the old days he used to have witty things to say to the crowd to get everybody going. I saw more of the true dave when i saw him on his solo tours.

The worst thing about the entire show was the sound system. I have seen many shows at Philips and this by far was the worst sound. It was so over distorted, sometimes i didnt know the song until the chorus would kick in. I hope this was a venue issue and the Gwinnett show will be better.

And what ever happened to the old Van Halen encore when they would come out at least twice and play for 30 extra minutes. Last night they came out for one song "Jump" and left the building.

for $150 tickets i was expecting at least a 2 1/2 hour show. we only got 2.

I was also hoping for wolfgang to do a bass solo to see how good he really is.

The crowd was impressive though, everyone stood through the whole show.

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HOT FOR TEACHER
    Last Online

05.18.13 @ 09:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default That Blew!

Took my son to see the might VH last night at Philips, and it was the worst sounding show I have ever witnessed. Our $200 for 2 seats were in heaven, and I had to wonder what the 50 dollars seats were like? Folding chairs in the tunnel maybe?

As a long time fan, I was very disappointed. Too much money, and we couldn't tell what some of the songs even were. The sound was the worst.....

The boys owe me some money back for that disaster.....
    "Jesus H. Christ that's big!" ---Martha Stewart

"Liza darling, can you run up to mommy's medicine cabinet, and get my pills?"----Judy Garland

"Watch us 'Salad Shoot'"---Zigfreid and Roy

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Drumstick playing?

Has anybody seen Ed solo with a drumstick in his right hand? He did it last night and it was pretty damn cool... was reminding me a little of Page doing his bow trick... cool to see him fucking around with new stuff...

I liked the fact that the show was a bit loose. I was thinking to myself that the kids there, who weren't born yet when all of the songs were written, are really lucky to be witnessing a classic rock show as its meant to be. I heard no evidence of "overdubs" except for the keys of course. And yeah there were a couple technical screw ups... that's rock and roll!! Back in the day Mike's bass went out during his solo and he smashed it... rock and roll!!!

On the other hand, their obvious rehearsing and consulting with people has paid off big time. In the early 00's I was almost embarrassed watching Dave live. Not so now. In fact he is definitely THE MAN for this band. He led the show like a champ... threw in some ad-libbing... and stayed away from his "groaner" lines he was still using solo.

4.5/5

=)
    Staying Frosty

Favorite VH Album

any from 1976 - 1993
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Get This Stuff No More
    Last Online

02.06.17 @ 02:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i thought it was a great show!!!!!!
    sound was great where i was
    Wolfie was sportin some blue franky shoes
    the house went completly oout half way through Ed's solo, i think he would have lost it if the crowd didn't start chanting his name
    aand this pic made my night

I saw Eddie with the drill during Ain't Talkin Bout Love
    that was pretty cool
    Dave looked PISSED when he got that feedback during Panama
    but yeah, i took about 400 pics with my iPhone
    i'll try and get some up

Last Online

09.21.16 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Great show overall, I saw them in Indy at the Conseco Fieldhouse which I describe as the inside of an echo chamber because the sound was soooo horrible. This arena for me, despite the other reviews, was far better. We were in sec 303 on the top row, basically center stage as far back as you could go. I wore earplugs so any echo was cut off, but when i took them out during a couple of songs, I thought the sound was awesome. I did find it funny when during Eddie's solo, the mic's cut out completely and all that was comin thru was the amps, still pretty loud for only those cabinets.

I was bummed there was no story time with Dave, he just went straight into Ice Cream Man, but oh well. Overall great show and worth the drive from the nashville area.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

04.17.08 @ 10:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to give my opinion of the show! I feel like people are being too critical. I'm 28 years old and have never ever seen Van Halen! So yes I was going to this show no matter what it took.

Yeah the sound was off at times and yeah Ed's sound was overly distorted but it was an AWESOME show!!! The guys seemed to be having fun out there. The crowd loved it and sang along to several songs! When the sound went out on Eddie's solo we started chanting "Eddie Eddie Eddie" b/c Ed was obviously upset but I think he appreciated us keeping him motivated b/c he got back into form as soon as things got back into order. Then when he was done he blew kisses and took a bow. Dave looked like he was touched by the crowd at times. He really sang great and had minimal trouble. He picked on Wolf at one point saying "I told you there are 2 things to look out for in this town and I saw you flirting with both of them earlier." or something to that nature. Alex was on top form! Wolfie could hang with the guys! He may seem a little shy but he does look like he's having fun.

Dave and Ed embraced, laid their heads on each other, high fived, etc throughout the show. It was just awe inspiring seeing them having fun together! I think Ed having Wolfie playing along with him keeps him motivated and you can tell. He looks like a truely proud pop!

I think the guys are enjoying this tour. They may not have the energy they once had of course but it was still an awesome show! Just giving my .02 cents. I would DEFINITELY see them again! Sorry for the rambling!
    'Dave, how will I know that I've made it?' I tell 'em, 'When you can spell 'subpoena' without thinking about it, you made it'

Last Online

02.21.17 @ 09:30 AM
    Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

The show was a blast. The band was having fun and I had fun with them. Wolf looked like he belonged. Dave was having a blast dancing all over the stage. His top hat and jacket looked cool in person with the lights reflecting. Eddie was having fun running around, lying on his back, smiling. I felt joy.
    "The only adventures I regret are the ones I missed" David Lee Roth

Van Halen- Atlanta - 98
    David Lee Roth - Atlanta - 02
    Sammy Hagar & David Lee Roth - Atlanta - 02
    David Lee Roth. Atlanta - 03
    Van Halen - Atlanta - 04
    Van Halen - Atlanta - 08
    Chickenfoot - Atlanta - 09

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

02.03.16 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Video review from Atlanta featuring a few seconds of raw soundboard audio to go along with the video:

http://www.wsbtv.com/video/15266886/index.html

Favorite VH Album

any from 1976 - 1993
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyw View Post
    Video review from Atlanta featuring a few seconds of raw soundboard audio to go along with the video:

http://www.wsbtv.com/video/15266886/index.html
    so they do record the shows!!!
    let's hope they release some of that!!!
    Phillips is notorious 4 soundboard recordings

Favorite VH Album

all the above
    Favorite VH Song

top jimmy
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by caramal View Post
    so they do record the shows!!!
    let's hope they release some of that!!!
    Phillips is notorious 4 soundboard recordings
    Maybe a live dvd

Good Enough
    Last Online

02.05.17 @ 05:48 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 79 Posts

It's unusual to hear the soundboard in a news report. I've only ever heard/seen news reports from the floor or the crowd, and only for a few seconds. Let's hope they release a dvd of this tour.

Favorite VH Album

any from 1976 - 1993
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

if this show gets released i'm gonnna go crazy!!!!

Last Online

02.16.10 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for posting that vid! I really hope we get a DVD of a show from this tour