Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Outta Space Cowboy Scotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.07.02
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    10,901
    Favorite VH Album

    VH I
    Last Online

    08.19.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Likes
    234
    Liked 547 Times in 332 Posts


    Donor

    Default *** New Orleans Reviews ***

    Reviews only. All other posts will be deleted.

  2. #2
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    07.27.04
    Posts
    10
    Last Online

    06.16.08 @ 06:39 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default WOW!!!

    I just got back from the New Orleans show, and it was a blast!

    The band was tight, and Dave's voice was in good shape. There were a few mistakes made, but overall everything was tight.

    The crowd filled the New Orleans Arena.

    Ed seem pre-occupied with his setup on stage. He kept adjusting setting on his pedals throughout the show. His solo spot was the same ole same ole, but I haven't seen it in 20 years so it was fun to watch.

    The band seemed in good spirits. Wolfie played and sang well.

    I will have videos posted on Youtube later today.

    Well worth the $50.00 ticket (yes, I sat in the cheap seats, but had a great view).

  3. #3
    Banned! 5150theriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.20.06
    Location
    louisiana
    Posts
    27
    Favorite VH Album

    all of them
    Favorite VH Song

    aint talkin bout love
    Last Online

    09.27.08 @ 01:04 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    well ive seen van halen at least 20 times, so i have to say it was alright.. nothing great.. wolfie impressed me the most, hes getting very loose up thier, looked very relaxed and can really play and sing...but to me they almost seemed like, lets get this over with attitude..eddie hardly moves around.. they have this huge stage.. so F**King use it~! after EBWS the sound was muddy..but all in all in was nice to see them again i guess....the best thing is when wolfie came out in a saints jersy... sorry but thats the truth.

  4. #4
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    04.04.04
    Posts
    26
    Last Online

    11.22.08 @ 05:59 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Couple of things that surprised me... (I haven't been paying attention to the tour for a while...maybe none of this is new)

    #1 - Ed using a digitech whammy pedal. Hadn't seen that mentioned before. He probably stepped on it a total of 15 times the whole night. Not used very much. I assume it was your standard red digitech one, but I didn't see for sure.

    #2 - New EVH Logo Tatoo on Ed. Now he matches his amps.

    #3 - Valarie B. watching the show from the soundboard. Don't know if she's a regular at shows or not.

    #4 - Vid Problems? THe screen was black and white for the first 3 or 4 songs. Don't know if it was on purpose.... It happened later on in the set once or twice too.

    #5 - Where's the bass? The mix had so little bass in it. There was no "feel it in your chest" presence to bass (or kick drums). Eddie's low E had more punch than Wolfgang's bass. THe guy next to me made jokes about OU812 and And Justice For All. Of course...same was true for the opening band. I swear they didn't have the bass player inthe mains at all. (For the record...I was floor, halfway back)

    #6 - Why even have an opener? Does anyone come to see this guy? WOuld anyone in the room NOT have come if there was no opener. For a cash grab, that seemslike an easy decision
    Last edited by Peabody; 02.09.08 at 06:59 AM.

  5. #5
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    07.27.04
    Posts
    10
    Last Online

    06.16.08 @ 06:39 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5150theriot View Post
    well ive seen van halen at least 20 times, so i have to say it was alright.. nothing great.. wolfie impressed me the most, hes getting very loose up thier, looked very relaxed and can really play and sing...but to me they almost seemed like, lets get this over with attitude..eddie hardly moves around.. they have this huge stage.. so F**King use it~! after EBWS the sound was muddy..but all in all in was nice to see them again i guess....the best thing is when wolfie came out in a saints jersy... sorry but thats the truth.
    I agree with this assesment. While I had a blast watching it, there was a sense of just trying to get the gig over with. Ed annoyed me that that Digitech Whammy pedal.

    I wonder how long this version of VH will last.

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    28
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,228
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    08.19.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Likes
    274
    Liked 373 Times in 222 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peabody View Post
    Couple of things that surprised me... (I haven't been paying attention to the tour for a while...maybe none of this is new)

    #1 - Ed using a digitech whammy pedal. Hadn't seen that mentioned before. He probably stepped on it a total of 15 times the whole night. Not used very much. I assume it was your standard red digitech one, but I didn't see for sure.

    #2 - New EVH Logo Tatoo on Ed. Now he matches his amps.

    #3 - Valarie B. watching the show from the soundboard. Don't know if she's a regular at shows or not.

    #4 - Vid Problems? THe screen was black and white for the first 3 or 4 songs. Don't know if it was on purpose.... It happened later on in the set once or twice too.

    #5 - Where's the bass? The mix had so little bass in it. There was no "feel it in your chest" presence to bass (or kick drums). Eddie's low E had more punch than Wolfgang's bass. THe guy next to me made jokes about OU812 and And Justice For All. Of course...same was true for the opening band. I swear they didn't have the bass player inthe mains at all. (For the record...I was floor, halfway back)

    #6 - Why even have an opener? Does anyone come to see this guy? WOuld anyone in the room NOT have come if there was no opener. For a cash grab, that seemslike an easy decision
    I believe the screen is supposed to be black and white for the first few numbers.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  7. #7
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    02.09.08
    Posts
    6
    Last Online

    04.25.08 @ 05:36 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    New Orleans Review

    Ok, so this was my second live VH show, the first being Biloxi '04. Been a VH fan since late '80s when I first knew who they were, and an equally a fan of Dave and Sammy era VH, liked Eds playing on VHIII, thought Cherone was only good live, loved Mikey's playing, vocals, and craziness.......

    Ive also been on this forum since 03' or '04, but havent posted since then and forgot my user/password and my email has changed since, hence the new name. Introductions out of the way, heres my take on the show:

    Compared to '07 shows, especially the later ones where Ed seemed to switch between being pissy and not giving a sh!t (12-30), and others Ive downloaded via BitTorrent such as the Philly show, this one was at least up to par with the latter. The setlist, of course, was the standard vanilla set that has been used throughout the tour, opening with YRGM and ending with Jump.

    The arena was nice and cozy and although not on the floor, my brother and I had pretty good seats at Section 110, R 14, seats 7 & 8. The first thing I noticed upon entering was NO METAL DETECTORS or security to speak of. I was PISSED as I could have easily sneaked my camcorder and tripod in under my coat and in my jeans to film the show. I did record the show with a Creative Zen Micro MP3 player/voice recorder, but the quality after reviewing the recording was an F- so I will be deleting......

    Getting back to the review, Bob Marleys sons (?name) performance sounded very muffled,no lyrics could be made out from where I was, and I attributed that to the arena acoustics, so I was immediately worried the sound would be a repeat of Biloxi '04 (very MUDDY). Thankfully, it wasn't as bad as Biloxi, though I thought several songs were difficult to follow due to the level murkiness, and I could only make out about 75% of Daves banter. On the upside though, Alex's drums were MUCH crisper and more defined than in the '04 show, and Eds guitar was more audible-- in the '04 show it seemed to be too low during most of the songs.

    Overall, I give it a 2 thumbs up as superior to the Biloxi show, and actually WORTH the money this time, though the '04 show is still special to me as my first VH show. The guys were energetic, smiling, Dave was very active and apparently in great shape. Ed looked 15 years younger than he did in '04, and played much better, IMO. Alex and Wolfie were solid, will give more detailed member reviews coming up. I DID get a bit of a sense that the guys were just ready to get it over with, but that could have just been me as I was tired of standing (!) by the time it was over.

    The better songs of the night IMO were: YRGM, Show Your Love, Panama, Jump, Little Guitars, SGMAD, ATBL, RWTD, Beautiful Girls, Unchained, & Alex's Drum Solo. "I'll Wait" was good as well, but Ed broke a string at the beginning of the song and had to play the whole song like that, but improvised well considering. Songs that were more medicre included Atomic Punk, Mean Street, ATCWR, and HFT. Dave forgot some lyrics to one of the first few songs, ("Im the One" maybe, dont quite remember) but slapped his forehead and playfully verbally pointed out his error immediately after during the song. Hot For Teacher, IMO, was the worst song of the night-- the Intro was hard to follow, the guitar and vocals were so muddy I couldnt follow, Ed butchered the solo-- oh well, at least he didnt throw a tantrum tonight!! As for individual ratings--

    Dave: B+
    Dave is a performer, no doubt. He looked in GREAT shape, threw many high kicks, spin kicks, baton spins, etc, very energetic. Dave was very charismatic, BIG smile on his face all night, told a little story about New Orleans, was pretty funny. If he hadnt discovered Rock and Roll, he would be a broadway performer . His vocals, however, were a mixed bag. He talked through some of the lyrics, forgot some, no classic Dave screeches. He could have done better, IMO, but his showmanship boosted his grade.

    Ed:B-
    Lets face it, Ed is not as proficient as he used to be. I would say hes about 60% the player he was in VHIII, where in '04 he was about 40% at best. This has to be due to not practicing/playing as much as he did when he was always in the recording studio, probably because of his previous alcohol/drug problems and cancer. He improvised many of his in song guitar solos, he DID NOT include the intro to "Women in Love" in his solo performance as he did in previous shows. His solo spot was pretty decent, better than '04, but just a shell of his solos from '81-'98. On the positive side, his tone was pretty good though. He also looked MUCH, MUCH better than in '04, where he looked like a crackhead (sorry). He literally looked 15 years younger. He looked sober, and like he was actually having a good time.

    Alex: A+
    Yeah, thats right, A freakin' +. His drums were crisp, he was rock solid (very admirable compared to Ed, whos skills have slipped significantly), and he was somehow able to keep songs together while Ed was ALL OVER THE PLACE (HFT, a few others). His drum solo was killer, we were able to make out every bass, snare, tom, hi-hat, and cymbal hit in his solo, while in '04 the acoustics were sooo bad his solo sounded like a loud rumbling sound (not exaggerating). His solo was VERY IMPRESSIVE technically as well, as good as anything from the '80s or '90s IMO. Only downside is hes lookin pretty old these days.

    Wolfie: A
    Gotta give the kid his props, he can keep time with Ed admirably, while I was losing where certain songs were going due to Eds squirellyness sometimes. He also had good backup vocals and skills on the bass. VERY IMPRESSIVE for a 16 year old kid thrown to the wolves to perform in front of 10K+ people. I must say though-- his face LOOKED HORRIBLE!! I know its not his fault, but his face was full of BAD acne. Really bad. Like so bad when the camera zoomed in on his face I cringed. It must be really hard to play in front of all these cameras like that. I know where hes coming from, I used to have the same probs when I was 15-18. They need to get that kid on Accutane or something after the tour ends.....

    All in all , still a kick ass show as far as Im concerned. What I wouldnt give though, for a chance to experience one of the shows from the LWAN or LRHRN, or Balance tours when Ed was at the top of his game.....oh well, this was the next best thing.
    Last edited by Josh128; 02.09.08 at 04:47 PM.

  8. #8
    Little Dreamer BigBuck1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.07.08
    Location
    Slidell, LA
    Posts
    11
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

    Eruption
    Last Online

    02.17.08 @ 06:59 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    My second Van Halen concert. It was great to me!

    The last time I saw Van Halen was in 1992 with Sammy Hagar. I wish I had recorded it back then to refer to it today, and compare last night's concert to this one. But that concert was with Sammy, not Dave, as lead singer. I recall really enjoying it. I enjoyed this concert last night too! Incredible! I was up in the 300 level in section 306. I was at the concert with a new female friend. I recorded most of the songs on my Kodak Easyshare 5 megapixel camera. But as the previous reviewer stated, there was no bag checking, or metal detectors upon coming into the arena. I could have brought in my other camera, a Canon 8 megapixel, but ended up leaving it in the car.

    I had a great forward view of the stage from section 306. I tried recording most of the concert on video. The sound in the arena was good, but I agree that it did seem muffled at some times. I thought Eddie looked much better and healthier than I had seen him in the last year or two. Looks like "rehab" has done him some good. I'm very happy to see him off of the bottle. I've been a HUGE life-long Eddie Van Halen fan, so I was absolutely thrilled to see him again over 15 years after the first concert I saw him in 1992. Eddie stilll has the skills to me! Alex was absoutely amazing! His drum solo was incredible to say the least. He can still pound those "skins" today. Dave's singing was great, even though it did sound muffled in spots. Seemed to me like the mixing board should have tried harder to clean up the sound! Wolfgang did fine to me. I'm sorry to see his complexion look so bad. Yeah, he needs some medical attention for that ASAP. But we've all been that awkward age, and had to deal with acne at one time or another in our teenage years! His bass playing sounded good, as well as his backing vocals. I really missed Michael Anthony. By the way...what happened? I guess I have been out of the loop on the Van Halen news the past few years, and I don't know what happened between Mike and the other guys. Anyone know?

    All in all it was a thrilling concert. I went with a new friend, and she had a ball too. I hope they record some new music with Dave soon, and Wolfgang stays in the band for a while. Van Halen STILL rocks in my book!

  9. #9
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    02.05.08
    Posts
    5
    Last Online

    02.24.12 @ 09:02 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Great show. Mike's vocals were SORELY missed though. Sorry, but that's a fact in my book. Bass though... that kid can play.. make no mistake about it, the little dude has some serious talent. To me though, a part of the Classic Van Halen sound is missing without the backing vocals. No big deal though, I've learned to take what I can get from these guys over the last 10 years... I'd certainly rather this than nothing.

    That being said however, having kids myself, I really enjoyed watching Eddie interact with his son on stage. Hey, if that's what it took to get Eddie out of hiding, so be it. Like I said, I'll take this over nothing.

    I'm about 60% Sammy and 40% Dave, but this was my first time seeing Dave play with Eddie and Alex, so that was pretty damn cool in and of itself. No, it wasn't the US Festival, but again, I'll take it.

    As someone said earlier, Eddie was "all over the place"... I agree... He still is, and always will be, the freaking KING in my book... but sometimes I just didn't know what he was doing... lol. Reminds me of an older athlete who simply just can't do what he was able to do when he was 21... no big deal, and CERTAINLY doesn't take away from WHO HE IS, and WHAT HE HAS DONE.


    The highlight for me also, was when Wolfgang wore that SAINTS jersy!!!
    (of course that speaks more of me being a die-hard Saints fan, rather than meaning anything negative towards the band)

    Who Dat? baby!!!!!!! lol.....

  10. #10
    Little Dreamer BigBuck1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.07.08
    Location
    Slidell, LA
    Posts
    11
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

    Eruption
    Last Online

    02.17.08 @ 06:59 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I'm a HUGE life-long Saints fan myself too! I thought it was cool that Wolfgang wore the jersey at the end of the concert. I noticed he wore number 47. I still want to get a number 71 for the year I was born, 1971. Anyways, yeah, I agree that Eddie was "all over the place", but we all still give him credit for being one of the BEST guitar players in the world hands down! This was the first time I'd ever seen them with David Lee Roth, so I was thrilled about that. Now I've seen Van Halen with both Dave and Sammy. I liked Gary Cherone in Extreme, but didn't see him with Van Halen.

    I also liked when Dave did his little thing about New Orleans, Louisiana into the megaphone, with his harmonica? Very cool. Also liked when he wore some Mardi Gras beads for a little while too. Nice touch.

  11. #11
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    07.27.04
    Posts
    10
    Last Online

    06.16.08 @ 06:39 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBuck1971 View Post
    The last time I saw Van Halen was in 1992 with Sammy Hagar. I wish I had recorded it back then to refer to it today, and compare last night's concert to this one. But that concert was with Sammy, not Dave, as lead singer. I recall really enjoying it. I enjoyed this concert last night too! Incredible! I was up in the 300 level in section 306. I was at the concert with a new female friend. I recorded most of the songs on my Kodak Easyshare 5 megapixel camera. But as the previous reviewer stated, there was no bag checking, or metal detectors upon coming into the arena. I could have brought in my other camera, a Canon 8 megapixel, but ended up leaving it in the car.

    I had a great forward view of the stage from section 306. I tried recording most of the concert on video. The sound in the arena was good, but I agree that it did seem muffled at some times. I thought Eddie looked much better and healthier than I had seen him in the last year or two. Looks like "rehab" has done him some good. I'm very happy to see him off of the bottle. I've been a HUGE life-long Eddie Van Halen fan, so I was absolutely thrilled to see him again over 15 years after the first concert I saw him in 1992. Eddie stilll has the skills to me! Alex was absoutely amazing! His drum solo was incredible to say the least. He can still pound those "skins" today. Dave's singing was great, even though it did sound muffled in spots. Seemed to me like the mixing board should have tried harder to clean up the sound! Wolfgang did fine to me. I'm sorry to see his complexion look so bad. Yeah, he needs some medical attention for that ASAP. But we've all been that awkward age, and had to deal with acne at one time or another in our teenage years! His bass playing sounded good, as well as his backing vocals. I really missed Michael Anthony. By the way...what happened? I guess I have been out of the loop on the Van Halen news the past few years, and I don't know what happened between Mike and the other guys. Anyone know?

    All in all it was a thrilling concert. I went with a new friend, and she had a ball too. I hope they record some new music with Dave soon, and Wolfgang stays in the band for a while. Van Halen STILL rocks in my book!
    I was in section 306, row 9. I recorded about an hour of the show with my 6 megapixle Hewlett Packard camera. I had to zoom in, so the quality, while still decent, was not what I hoped it would be. It looks good on a small screen, but I wouldn't want to watch it on a big TV screen.

    I thought I saw a bit of acne on Wolfie. Oh well, 16 is still an awkward stage to be in.

  12. #12
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    02.09.08
    Posts
    6
    Last Online

    04.25.08 @ 05:36 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBuck1971 View Post
    I'm a HUGE life-long Saints fan myself too! I thought it was cool that Wolfgang wore the jersey at the end of the concert. I noticed he wore number 47. I still want to get a number 71 for the year I was born, 1971. Anyways, yeah, I agree that Eddie was "all over the place", but we all still give him credit for being one of the BEST guitar players in the world hands down! This was the first time I'd ever seen them with David Lee Roth, so I was thrilled about that. Now I've seen Van Halen with both Dave and Sammy. I liked Gary Cherone in Extreme, but didn't see him with Van Halen.

    I also liked when Dave did his little thing about New Orleans, Louisiana into the megaphone, with his harmonica? Very cool. Also liked when he wore some Mardi Gras beads for a little while too. Nice touch.
    I never realized Wolfie was wearing a Saints jersey!! I did see Dave with the Mardi Gras beads. About Ed, agree he is still my original "Guitar Hero", and enjoyed his playing, but I just had to point out the obvious decline in his skills, even though hes on the upswing from '04.

    I wonder if anyone got to tape the whole show--with the ease of getting something in there, and the number of people, it would be awesome if someone did!!

  13. #13
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    12.18.07
    Location
    TN USA
    Posts
    10
    Last Online

    08.03.08 @ 09:07 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I finally got to see VH for the first time, and I was in awe. My wife, who isn't even a big fan, loved it. Everyone was going crazy whenever Dave said something.
    Dave's mic was really muddy, even though his singing was pretty good. The whole band was really happy; Ed was kicking and dancing more than Dave! His tone was good, not muddy at all. He really kept his cool when his string broke at the beginning of I'll Wait. I think only a couple people even noticed!


    Al's rhythm and tone were perfect; almost exactly like the '80s! Wolfgang really surprised me on bass; I knew he'd be good, but not this good. Shame about his face, though.
    It was a bit sloppy in places, but they really made up for it at the end with Ed's solo, Panama and Jump. BTW, Ed's wearing a wedding ring now, what's the deal? Someone said Val was there, but I didn't realize it.

    Great show overall, I can't wait to see them again!
    Last edited by ChrisPC84; 02.10.08 at 07:31 PM.

  14. #14
    Good Enough pal1800's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.30.07
    Age
    45
    Location
    Mandeville, LA
    Posts
    1,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

    Too hard to choose
    Last Online

    06.02.16 @ 08:13 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I had a really good time. I took 3 of my closest friends and we had the 5 star package. We were in the last row of the circle and that was fine with me. Eight of my other friends were in the stands and they all had a good time. The sound was good from where we were. I have never been to a show that sounded good in this arena, so I was happy with the sound. Got lucky at the pre-party and won a pair of Alex's sticks he used in a previous show. That was really cool. I enjoyed the set list and the energy was good. I was just glad to see this band again. As time goes on, I will start to miss the Sammy songs, they were there when I was growing up and having fun, but for this tour, it was cool. I really hope we get some new music soon. Another tour without new music would be very disapointing!

  15. #15
    Hot For Teacher DJ from New Orleans's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.18.03
    Age
    39
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    241
    Favorite VH Album

    ALL of them
    Favorite VH Song

    ALL of them
    Last Online

    08.24.10 @ 06:31 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Hey everyone, sorry I haven't come and posted any review or pics, but here I am...

    First of all, here are two full videos (decent quality) I took at the show. I have Ice Cream Man also, but haven't uploaded it yet. Had I known the audio I was getting was good I would have recorded more but I thought my little mic wouldn't pick up the audio very well... But it did, lol...

    Aint Talkin Bout Love


    Atomic Punk



    As for the show... AMAZING. I won't go into detail because everyone else already has, but I saw them back in '04 with Hagar and this show blows that one away (and I'm a fan of both eras, but def. more of a Roth fan).

    I will post some pics later on when I get home from work.
    - I'm not A DJ... It's my name! -

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Reviews ***New Orleans, LA***
    By OLO in forum 2007 Van Halen Tour
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12.09.07, 01:54 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09.11.02, 07:09 PM
  3. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08.17.02, 09:13 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06.22.02, 04:28 PM
  5. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06.04.02, 10:42 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •