Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fender Squier?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Default Fender Squier?

Ok,

I'm still looking for a project guitar. I'm going today to check out some Mexican strats, but I will also check out the Squier. I'll be putting a Floyd on it, swapping out the pickups, and doing a paint job on it anyway, so I'm more interested in a good body wood and a good neck. Would the cheap Squier be a good candidate for this kind of thing? What are your experiences with the Squiers? I can always go the Warmoth route, but they are pricey, great product and you get what you pay for, but I'm trying to pinch pennies here. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd go with a MIM strat over the Squier.
    Alot of Squier bodys are made of plywood and those that aren't are made of a wood called "Agithis". Either way ... not a great wood for "tone".

As an alternative, you can always find bodys, necks, and whatever else you need on eBay.

If this is your first project, I'd maybe suggest purchasing a body from eBay and use it to practice your painting skills. Then if all goes well, you can begin investing in a neck and other parts as you go.

JMO.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I second what Dino5150 said. There are a lot of used bodies and necks on ebay, and in a lot of cases the bodies are already routed for floyds.
    If you go the ebay route you can probably get a neck and body for about 1/3 the cost of warmoth, but like you say warmoth parts are cut well and their necks and bodies match up very well.
    I won't use basswood for any single coil guitar and i'm not a fan of it, but for Ed's sound since you're using humbuckers basswood is probably as good a choice as any.
    Again though, Dino5150 is right. stay away from agathis.

Good Enough
    Last Online

I've already got one of those Kramer Focus guitars. I picked it up for the sole purpose of practicing my build. It has a plywood or pressboard body. I already took it apart and I plan on using it to practice my stripping, painting and assembly skills etc. I only paid $80 for it. I read and heard good things about the MIM Strats so I might just pick one up. This is my first project. I want it to turn out good and I want a guitar I am totally comfortable with because I don't have the funds to simply buy a guitar whenever I see one that I like. Also, as a lefty, the aren't a whole lot of choices. I still may go the Warmoth route, pay my money and be done with it, at least I'll have a very good instrument that I can play for many years to come. The only guitar I've been playing for the last 5 years is a Kramer Stryker, one of the the cheapy ones. It's good for what it is, but it is not a quality instrument. The neck is nice though and I've gotten used to it, but I'm ready for a better quality instrument. Keep the advice coming please.

Last Online

02.05.15 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would also suggest to avoid Squiers. I recently bought 2 at a pawnshop ($25 each) just for the necks.
    first of all, the bodies are much thinner than regular strats
    as mentioned before, most are made out of mystery woods.
    the neck pocket sizes are inconsistent
    and the nutwidth on some of them are really small. I had one that was less than 38mm, so I couldn't replace the (crappy plastic) nut.

If warmoth is to pricey, I would suggest Mightly mite. they have good quality necks and bodies for anywhere between 75-100 on ebay. they are the same quality as the Fender light ash strats and the higher end (Korean) Squiers. If I am not mistaken they come from the same factory (can't remember, either cort or samick). With Hardware and pickups from GFS, you can make a decent guitar for a couple of 100 bucks.

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it will depend on what year of Squier you are referring to. Believe it or not, I have an '85 Squire Strat model, made in Japan. I bought it new. I've since made several modifications to it (Warmoth neck, an SD 'lil '59 humbucker, a 2 pole Wilkinson Gotoh tremelo, etc.). The body is made of ash. It is a nice body, unlike the current day models (which are the garbage referred to above). And honestly, it was nice enough that if I didn't modify it, you couldn't really tell much of a playing or tonal difference from the current day American made standard Fender Strats. And on that note, some of those I've played recently couldn't hold that Squier's jock (wait, did I just say that? ).

Something to think about.

One other note, I've had good experiences with anything I've worked on with Mighty Mite parts as well. The above post was very smart in referring you to them!

Good luck.

Favorite VH Album

All of em !
    Favorite VH Song

same as above
    Last Online

07.01.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The early squires were awsome guitars !! The strats, and the teles !! Thet caused a big stink over here when they first came out !!

Doug
    You can tune a piano, but you cant tuna fish !

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=545590&T=6107

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I've had a lot of experience buying bodies, necks, and general guitar parts on eBay. In fact I've found a lot of excellent builders who post their work on eBay in batches. If you know what you want and what to look for in a body or neck (brand, routing, wood, neck pocket, etc.), troll eBay once a day and see what you find. If you don't know exactly how to determine what may or may not be good, post the link(s) here and get some opinions.

Mighty Mite stuff is definitely good--much better than it was 20-30 years ago. (On a couple of my projects I have used their bodies and necks.) AllParts and WD make EXCELLENT pieces, and they are much cheaper than Warmoth. I highly recommend looking for AllParts stuff on eBay. Don't, however, buy anything directly from the AllParts website, as they actually sell everything there at list price. A dealer (like one on eBay) will give you a markdown from that price.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you happen to pick up an early Squire that's not something you'll want to chop up and repaint. Those were very good quality instruments.
    As a matter of fact the Squire name on the headstock was originally only put on by Japan to show that they were Fender strats made in Japan.
    The Squires of today aren't even on the same planet when it comes to quality.

I build custom instruments and at a lot of times times I start with hand picked warmoth necks and bodies. They do cost more but if I want a particular weight and look to a body, as well as custom routes I know exactly what I'll get ahead of time. When I order necks I can have them with double truss rods, any fingerboard and neck wood I want, as well as custom radius and fret sizes and everything they've sent has fit perfectly and sounded great.
    At times I'll slightly reshape the neck and body but there's still no guess work as what will show up. On that last 4 warmoth necks I ordered I ordered them with brazilizn rosewood slabs. The fingerboards were nicely colored and thicker than the ones Fender used both in the 60's and today.
    When I dealt with allparts or mighty mite in the past it was always a crapshoot as to what would be available. I found that allparts bodies were quite good but the figuring and weight was never what I was looking for.
    With warmoth I've never had any guess work and was never disappointed with what I ordered.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:43 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

I have an 86 Blackie Squier Strat (bought it new in 86) that I put new pickups in (Seymour Duncan Hot Rail in the bridge, 2 Fender Lace Sensor pickups) The guitar is like an old pair of shoes - I love it! It has a rosewood neck and an ash body. It plays great and that Hot Rail really makes it rock. I play it every night (it is in my hands now as I type). I wouldn't trade it for anything! I do agree though that the newer ones aren't up to the quality of this guitar...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

you'll get a better body and neck through ebay than you will just buying a MIM fender. I love the MIM gear, very well made and a great value, but if you're looking for parts you'll be better off following andrew's suggestions. the MIM gear is all poplar....not a bad wood but for the money you should be able to score a good basswood or mahogany body and a nice neck....

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 49 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    you'll get a better body and neck through ebay than you will just buying a MIM fender. I love the MIM gear, very well made and a great value, but if you're looking for parts you'll be better off following andrew's suggestions. the MIM gear is all poplar....not a bad wood but for the money you should be able to score a good basswood or mahogany body and a nice neck....
    Didn't they switch to alder years ago? My '01 MIM Tele is alder. I remember being relieved when it got its first chip and I saw the wood wasn't a greenish colour (poplar)...
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    "There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

RIP, Hoss!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They stopped using poplar and switched back to alder in 2000. Since then pretty much everything coming out of the mexican plant is alder, with the exception of some ash bodies they produce on some models. In some cases they'll put a more highly figured alder veneer on sunburst guitars but the wood beneath is still alder.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I haven't kept up with Fender production much, but I do know the bulk of their stuff is coming from Mexico now (EVH gear, also). So the quality has stepped up a bit (which means a switch to alder would make sense).

Mighty Mite bodies are all ash.

I like what Mitch of KNE bodies has been producing: http://www.kneguitars.com/bod_list.php. He sells on eBay as well: http://myworld.ebay.com/guitarbodiesplus. I bought an alder double-hum Charvel Strat body from him last year, and it was top-notch.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Well, I went and played 2 MIM Strats at my local Long and McQuade. They both had alder bodies. They played pretty well. The frets were properly fitted, the neck joints looked tight, the necks felt good. They didn't have any maple fingerboard, only rosewood ones, and I'm looking for a maple board, but at about $450 (Canadian) they seemed like a good deal, but to get what I want I'm going to have to put a Floyd on and do some routing for humbuckers and replace the neck, so right now I'm probably going to source the parts. So here's what I have come up with so far:

WD-I think Andrew recommended them-they have unfinished lefty Strat bodies and necks for a reasonable price-I could buy these and the rest of the hardware etc and assemble myself

Divebomb-I contacted Kyle and he is willing to make any of his kits left handed for me and his stuff comes with absolutely everything you need from Floyd to pickups and all the screws and mounting hardware, and at just under $900 it's not a bad deal when it's all said and done

MIM Strat-I could buy one for about $450 probably a bit less but then it would require extensive modification

All of the suggestions have been helpful, please keep them coming. I think I'll do a bit more research and I should be ready to move forward by the end of the week.