Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Best Tube Amp under $1000

I need help!! Experts please chime in and give suggestions for the best tube amp that is reasonably priced since I do not gig. Should I go combo or head and cabinet? Local GC manager suggested some Fender combo amps, a Hot Rod Deluxe and Blues Jr. I have stomp boxes so effects on the amp aren't a big deal to me. I am not a sophisitcated enough player to know a ton but I do know tube amps are players choice and I know what tones I like. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!
    Another life saved by girl on girl action--House

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It would help to know what your looking for in an amp ...

What style of music do you play?

Do you need something "versitile" or are you looking for a "balls to the wall" high gain amp?

Are you a gigging musician where you would have to lug this amp around?
    If so, is a half stack practical? Will it fit in your vehicle? Etc ...

The more we know about what you're looking for, the better we may be able to help make recommendations.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I play rock, hard rock and metal. My preference is anything Van Halen. High gain would be my preference but not necessary since I have a Boss DS1 stomp box. I don't gig so power is not so much an issue. Hope that helps. Thanks again.
    Another life saved by girl on girl action--House

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vanhammersly View Post
    I play rock, hard rock and metal. My preference is anything Van Halen. High gain would be my preference but not necessary since I have a Boss DS1 stomp box. I don't gig so power is not so much an issue. Hope that helps. Thanks again.
    Don't make the mistake of "settling" on an amp that doesn't give you the sound you want by compensating with a distortion pedal.
    Distortion pedals, IMO sound like a buzz saw, especially the Boss DS1.

For under $1000, I would think you could find a nice used 5150 combo OR half stack if you look hard enough.

And the fact that you gig or not has nothing to do with "power".
    My question was geared more in terms of convenience ... loading it in and out of your car, lugging it to gigs, etc ...

Big amps may look cool on stage, but loud amps are a soundman's worst nightmare.
    I prefer the sound of a 4x12 cabinet, but it has nothing to do with "power" or volume.
    Try them out both and see what YOUR preference is.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vanhammersly View Post
    I need help!! Experts please chime in and give suggestions for the best tube amp that is reasonably priced since I do not gig. Should I go combo or head and cabinet? Local GC manager suggested some Fender combo amps, a Hot Rod Deluxe and Blues Jr. I have stomp boxes so effects on the amp aren't a big deal to me. I am not a sophisitcated enough player to know a ton but I do know tube amps are players choice and I know what tones I like. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!
    I'm going to say a used 5150. It does Van Halen and metal. I was extremly surprised to see some guy on Youtube do jazz with one, and his tone wasn't bad at all. Maybe if you look hard enough, you could find a Marshall JCM800 for under 1000. Just keep checking ebay.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

give the carr vincent amp a look, its right on your price range and is a VERY versitile amp...plus if you do graduate to gigging then it'll work well for that also.
    also a 5150 combo is a great choice but not as versitile as a lot of amps out there, i'l sure you may be able to pick up a reasonable mesa combo (used) for under $1k plus theres tons of marshall, vox and various others out there.
    the best advice i can offer is to take your guitar to as many stores as you can and try as many amps as you can in your price range, then let your ears choose
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.12.13 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Check out the Marshall DSL401--a little over your stated price range ($1,120) but a great little amp: all tube, 40 watts, 1x12, 3 channels-clean/overdrive 1/overdrive 2, reverb, and an FX loop. You can get some pretty decent Dave-era sounds out of it.
    "With me in the band, it's one of those miraculous 97-97 deals. It's 97 percent you and 97 percent moi. Is it Mick or Keith? I don't know" -DLR

"We eventually started playing clubs, and we also did weddings. We played everything from the Ohio Players to K.C. & the Sunshine Band. You would love the sight of Van Halen doing 'Get Down Tonight'! But by the third set when everybody was good and tanked up--boy, we'd be blazin'!" -Michael Anthony

Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

search on ebay for either

A) the amps that sovtek used to make, apparently they are identical to jcm800's, sound AMAZING, and can be had for less than 500 dollars EASY.

B) a Laney AOR. Again, its a Jcm800 styled amp that can be had for around 350-400 dollars EASY.

just my 2 cents.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The new Bugara's are 5150 clones at about half the price.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

03.23.09 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kissmyace View Post
    The new Bugara's are 5150 clones at about half the price.
    I was checking the website out for those amps, has anyone ever tried them? It looks very interesting. I need a new amp and I like the tone of the 5150, it's just been crapping out on me lately. I wonder if the mids are scooped like a 5150.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/sovtek-mig-100-A...QQcmdZViewItem

Here is that Sovtek amp. It looks pretty cool.

I can't beleive that shit. The bugera 6260 and 6262. That is too funny.

Last Online

03.10.12 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You need to play some and see what you think, obviously.

I play a lot of different styles and have a few amps such as Fender Hot Rod DeVille, Fender 65 Reissue Twin Reverb, Fender Blues Junior, Peavey 5150 Combo. I picked most of them up used for great prices. The Blues Junior for $250 and the 5150 Combo for $450 on Craigslist.

But, my favorite amp for tone is the Orange Tiny Terror with a 1X12 cabinet. I absolutely love this thing. If I could only choose one amp from my collection, it would be this one.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

03.14.12 @ 03:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Line 6 Spider Valve, its half Bogner (valve side) worth pluggin into to see it if does it for you.
    I have a Bogner Metropolis kills any 5150 or marshall I've owned, so i have to believe this new half Bogner L6 has some mojo??

Martin

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

You could find a used 5150 in your price range, or a 5150 combo, if you are only playing heavier stuff, and it would serve you well. If you wanted a new amp, I've always thought the Peavey Classic 30 half stack is one of the best sounding all around amps out there. It only has 2x12 inch speakers in the cab. It has an great clean sound, and a very respectable dirt sound. It is technically a 2 channel amp, but really it has three channels, because of the boost switch on the dirt channel. With the boost switch off, and the gain dimed, you can get a sound approaching that of a 5150. If you were to put a Tube Screamer in front of it, you could have all the gain you need.

My main reason for recommending that amp is versitility. It can do country, blues, rock, metal, and sound good.

If you can find one used, the Mesa Nomad 45 is a very versitile, toneful amp also, but there are just too many knobs for my liking.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Try Peavey Classic Series

Peavey Classic 50 is a fine amp.
    All tube, low $$ cost and very reliable.
    Had mine for 10 yrs and it still going.
    I Have friends with much better ears than mine,
    and they love it too... so much so that they bought
    one as well.... Try one out, it's the only way to find
    what fits your ears & sound taste.... CV