Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Default *** Des Moines Reviews ***

Reviews only. All other posts deleted.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.07.08 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just got home. What a great show! I was in section 205 on Eddies side. Crowd slow filing in during Marleys set. Same set list as the previous shows. Dave looked pretty happy, Ed was shreddin, Wolfgang kept the down beat and Alex is a beast behind that kit.

I noticed some things. There is big security guy that stays near Dave when he goes out in the ramp into the crowd. Also looked to be a couple of roadies that stay near the front of the stage to hand Dave props. Dave's microphone seemed to be having some trouble early on as well. And why doesnt Ed go wireless? He got tangled up at least 2 or 3 times.

All I can say is if you havent gone...GO!!

Thanks Al, Ed, Wolf, and Dave for a great evening.

One other thing, I did buy a tshirt(the one with gal holding the guitar) and it does list the second leg tour stops. The one tshirt with the 79 logo on it still had the first leg cities on the back so heads up.

KMan812
    K Man

Iowa Hawkeye Football: Bullies of the Big 10

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

07.11.08 @ 09:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default DM

First, I should say I really enjoyed the show. The sound was very crisp and loud, and the guys look like they are in their prime. Other than Wolfie, there's not an ounce of fat on these guys. I was fascinated watching Eddie's hands close up on the big screen, especially during all his solos. He really is amazing. (But man, are those fingers looking old and gnarly. My buddy commented "Ed's fingers look like Gollum.") Dave had a great stage presence as always. Alex has incredible energy and you can just tell he loves what he does.

However, having said that, there were a few things about the show that bugged me. There was basically no interaction with the crowd at all. It was straight up music. No amusing story before Ice Cream Man and no witty commentary from Dave. Not sure he even mentioned Des Moines at all. That was disappointing to me, and in a sense it felt to me like they were mailing it in. Also, what's the purpose of the part of the "S" shaped stage that snakes out into the crowd? Wolf took about 2 steps onto it once and Dave marched quickly out and back during the encore. I would have been bummed had i been in the crowd near it and expecting some close-up interaction with the guys. And what's with the giant blowup microphone that magically appears? Dave marched over, picked it up, carried it to the stage, and set it down. Took all of 10 seconds. Pointless.

Finally, Wolf may techincally be a decent bass player . . . .but he appears a bit of a bump on a log, and just lacks the stage presence and magnetism of MA. I think the magic of the band really suffers by his absence. It's just disappointing to me that we waited all these years for Original VH to come back, they sell it to me as Original VH, but it's just not Original VH. Unfortunately, I fall into the camp that views it as a semi or pseudo reunion.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

03.19.12 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am sure that when I was younger I had many cassettes for my Walkman. However the only one I truly remember is 5150. I played the hell out of that tape in my early high-school years. On some of the band trips we would make I could get through that thing a couple of times. So there in the late 80’s I picked up playing guitar and took to it pretty well since I had years of playing the trumpet as a musical background. I had a CD player that I could set to loop any section of music I wanted and I would sit for hours working Van Halen songs (along with Nuno, Satch & Dan Huff). Out of all these guys Ed was my hero. Only Ed was the complete package, rhythm, solos, speed, phrasing, song writing. He had it all!! For the most part I was a Hagar fan but as I became more proficient on the guitar I grew to love the guitar extravaganza that is the Roth era of Van Halen. Over the years I have accumulated a nice library of old VH audio bootlegs (40 or 50 concerts) and many videos. When I put one of these in and close my eyes I can’t but have a smile plastered across my face the entire time.

Last night was great! I have never been able to see them before. I caught Roth a few years back in Omaha but this was my Meca. The level of enthusiasm and energy coming out of Roth was amazing, his smile is infectious. Ed was having genuine fun as well hoping around the stage like he has always done. Alex was solid and Wolfie was sufficient. I owe Van Halen more for what they have meant to me in my life than my $150 ticket can repay.

Having said this they seemed tired. I was expecting some story telling from Roth. More engagement with the audience. He even skipped his usual story leading into “Ice Cream Man”. When Ed went to do his solo section for a while he walked to the front center of the stage and leaned forward with his hands on his knees and looked exhausted. He raised his hands palms up about waist high and (reading lips) said “What do I play”. I had heard and seen that Ed was no longer doing the “flutter” picking things for the real fast stuff and it bothered me to not see him doing that. His hands must be bothering him.

It was absolutely amazing to be present when these classic anthems of rock were being performed live. I have never engaged in a concert more. I usually stand arms crossed because it just takes so much energy just to try to capture it all and study what the guitar player is doing, But last night I sang and yelled my guts out. I owe it to these guys. And in the end that is one of the strangest aspects of last night. Every time that Dave or Ed or Wolfie walked over to our side of the stage and glanced into our section my heart raced, my arms raised, I clapped my hands and I screamed. And every time that happened I felt as though it was less for the performance they were giving me right then but I wanted them so badly to see and understand how much I appreciated everything they had brought into my life through their music.

Last thought. 20 years ago if I had had the opportunity to have some time with Ed it would have been “Get out your guitar and show me everything”. Now, if I had the chance it would be “Tell me everything”, I would want to learn about the man not the guitarist.

Thank you Ed, Alex, Dave, Mike, Sammy, Wolfie…..and Gary for all you have done.

Last Online

06.26.14 @ 10:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lindy View Post
    First, I should say I really enjoyed the show. The sound was very crisp and loud, and the guys look like they are in their prime. Other than Wolfie, there's not an ounce of fat on these guys. I was fascinated watching Eddie's hands close up on the big screen, especially during all his solos. He really is amazing. (But man, are those fingers looking old and gnarly. My buddy commented "Ed's fingers look like Gollum.") Dave had a great stage presence as always. Alex has incredible energy and you can just tell he loves what he does.

However, having said that, there were a few things about the show that bugged me. There was basically no interaction with the crowd at all. It was straight up music. No amusing story before Ice Cream Man and no witty commentary from Dave. Not sure he even mentioned Des Moines at all. That was disappointing to me, and in a sense it felt to me like they were mailing it in. Also, what's the purpose of the part of the "S" shaped stage that snakes out into the crowd? Wolf took about 2 steps onto it once and Dave marched quickly out and back during the encore. I would have been bummed had i been in the crowd near it and expecting some close-up interaction with the guys. And what's with the giant blowup microphone that magically appears? Dave marched over, picked it up, carried it to the stage, and set it down. Took all of 10 seconds. Pointless.

Finally, Wolf may techincally be a decent bass player . . . .but he appears a bit of a bump on a log, and just lacks the stage presence and magnetism of MA. I think the magic of the band really suffers by his absence. It's just disappointing to me that we waited all these years for Original VH to come back, they sell it to me as Original VH, but it's just not Original VH. Unfortunately, I fall into the camp that views it as a semi or pseudo reunion.
    I agree with most of this. It was a great show overall and the boys look like they're having fun (except for the sound guy who couldn't get Dave's mic taped up correctly). I too was disappointed with the lack of crowd interaction, compared to other cities. Dave did mention DSM in his bluesy harmonica tune, but it was hard to hear, so no one gave him love for it.

There's no doubt Wolfie doesn't have the charisma of MA, but I can forgive him because of his age. He's going to be around a long time, and it will be cool to be able to say I saw him when he started out.

All in all, it was a great show.

Little Dreamer LaDonna Lee Roth's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

I and II
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Cryin'
    Last Online

12.29.08 @ 08:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lindy View Post

Wow... sounds like the Kansas City show...
    LaDonna Lee Roth

myspace.com/ladunkadunk

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

07.11.08 @ 09:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's a snippet from VHND.com about the show . . . .

Surprisingly, the band made zero mention of where it was that night. There were no comments about Iowa, and no reference to the snowstorm outside -- the one that some thought might lead to the concert's cancellation earlier in the day. For a guy known for his showmanship, it was surprising that Roth engaged in hardly any ad-libbed banter with the crowd at all.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.21.08 @ 06:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Insight

Took me a while to post a review but I figured I owed it having read so many of the others reviews.

I did the 5-star thing and got first row dead center. I conversed with Emily from ILAA and Ed's guitar tech(?) about a lot of things about the tour. Apparently the previous wolfgangs were the prototypes and the new ones sent back were the cream ones that Ed played in DSM. There were only two of the mini Frankies made that Ed plays on little guitars. Ed's new wah pedal was released at NAMM so that is out now. Wolgang has a tudor that travels with them and I saw a room backstage labeled "Study Room". Just before I went down to my seat Emily revealed that after the Des Moines show the were going to load up and hit the road for a 20 hour bus ride to New Orleans.

So as far as a concert review goes I thought these guys were tight tonight. I didn't notice anyone being out of sync. I saw Dave singing and he was literally standing over me and I could tell he was trying to give it his all. I had a bad angle to see Alex, I could see his forehead real well but that's about it. Wolfgang seemed somewhat loose and he seemed like he was having fun. Ed and Wolfgang seemed to interact with each other a lot. Ed even picked his nose a little bit and then turned around and picked his butt. No interaction with the crowd and everything seemed somewhat hurried. Even the encore, they didn't wait for the crowd to cheer them back onstage, they just came back lol! I didn't see the blimp at all. I was wondering if they even brought it out for this show because the arena is somewhat small.

Appearances, Dave looked good but seemed to be sweating a lot. Eddie looked like he had a lot of gray coming in. Ed's fingers did look a little big but doesn't that happen to everyone as they get old? Skinny fingers in your teens/twenties that gradually thicken up? I hadn't gotten this close before so I never noticed all the moles on his back. Wolfgang looked young and had a lot of acne on his face. Al's forehead looked alright. These guys are in their 50s and it does show.

I can only attribute the pumping through the songs to get to the end to the fact that they were looking at a 20 hour bus ride after the show. It sucks for the Des Moines crowd but what can you do. Everything else about the show was good.
    Can't crow til I'm out of the woods....

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.21.08 @ 06:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default some additions..

OK

Before anyone jumps on me, Wolfgang has a tutor on tour with him, not a tudor!

Also, the guitar tech guy said the new sound crew moved the bass output cabs up in the air.

Also Ed has a new tatoo of the EVH logo on his arm. The tatoo looked terrible. It is uneven and I hope he didn't pay for it!
    Can't crow til I'm out of the woods....

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 2,229 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by redwolfgang_5150 View Post
    ... I had a bad angle to see Alex, I could see his forehead real well but that's about it....

...Al's forehead looked alright...
    At the risk of getting anally penetrated with a splintered broomstick by Scotty and OLO, that struck me as hilarious.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.