Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default The official "How the Hell do you fix this?" thread.

Hey all,

I know there are people with several different professions/trades/careers on the links and maybe we can all help each other out. I have a few things around the house or in the car or wherever that I occasionally need a little help with fixing, tinkering with or fine-tuning. Maybe we can all pitch in. I shall begin...

1) Why do I have to constantly adjust my garage door opener??? From time to time, the thing will look like itís closing only to open back up again! Iíve checked all of the tracks and sensors and nothing appears to be blocking them. Itís pissing me offÖ
    2) What is the best way to stain a table that has already been stained? In other words, I have a really nice table that my Grandmother had in her house that was given to me. The table is beautiful however; the color of the stain is shit green. Is it possible to ďre-stainĒ an item once itís been stained?
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Re: 1) Does it happen when you push the switch on the wall, or the one in the car? Or both? You could have a sticky button.

Re: 2) I wish I could help, but I hate, with the hate of a thousand furies, stripping and staining stuff.

Let me add this to the pile. Here is a site that has helped me fix my dryer, washer, and dishwasher.

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Re: 1) Does it happen when you push the switch on the wall, or the one in the car? Or both? You could have a sticky button.

Re: 2) I wish I could help, but I hate, with the hate of a thousand furies, stripping and staining stuff.

Let me add this to the pile. Here is a site that has helped me fix my dryer, washer, and dishwasher.
    It seems to happen with both the car and the one in the garage. The one in Kelly's car is factory installed. Do you think that could have anything to do with it? I have the regular "remote" style one in my car and it appears to do the same thing...

Thanks for the link as well!

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

for the opener...check the alignment of the safety thing (can't remember what they're called!) down by the floor. you know, the light beam, if there's a kid or whatever blocking the beam the door won't close...if the light or the eye gets bumped it'll appear that something is in the way of the door, and it won't close.

happened to us recently...a spider spun a web over the eye and the door wouldn't close. cleaned the web from the eye and it was all good.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Last Online

11.06.14 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Ventura View Post
    Hey all,

1) Why do I have to constantly adjust my garage door opener??? From time to time, the thing will look like itís closing only to open back up again! Iíve checked all of the tracks and sensors and nothing appears to be blocking them. Itís pissing me offÖ
    In addition to checking the safety beam (or electric eye)

First - make sure the tracks are well lubricated. White lithium grease works quite well.

Second - adjust the sensitivity on the closer. Perhaps it might be called torque, or a reasonable facsimile. Find a setting that reduces the failures

Third - Get used to some adjustments. With changes in weather (cold, hot, humidity) metal and wood expand and contract. Once you have adjusted the sensitivity, you should likely only have to adjust it once a year, if at all.

What kind of drive is it? Is it screw, chain or belt? What kind of spring is there on the door?

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:51 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    happened to us recently...a spider spun a web over the eye and the door wouldn't close. cleaned the web from the eye and it was all good.
    I had the exact same problem with my garage door when I first bought my current house. Previous owner said that the door opener might need replacing. I cleaned the lens and it has worked perfectly ever since.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Yerfdog View Post
    In addition to checking the safety beam (or electric eye)

First - make sure the tracks are well lubricated. White lithium grease works quite well.

Second - adjust the sensitivity on the closer. Perhaps it might be called torque, or a reasonable facsimile. Find a setting that reduces the failures

Third - Get used to some adjustments. With changes in weather (cold, hot, humidity) metal and wood expand and contract. Once you have adjusted the sensitivity, you should likely only have to adjust it once a year, if at all.

What kind of drive is it? Is it screw, chain or belt? What kind of spring is there on the door?
    Good suggestions, all. It's a chain drive with coil springs on the door. Would that make any difference?

I'll be checking all points that you listed. Thanks, man!

Last Online

11.06.14 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Ventura View Post
    Good suggestions, all. It's a chain drive with coil springs on the door. Would that make any difference?

I'll be checking all points that you listed. Thanks, man!
    Make sure the chain is lubed, too. If I understand correctly it starts to close and then binds and opens up, right?

If it didn't move at all, it could be the safety beam, but if it does start somewhere along the line reverse, it is binding. That is the safety feature of your opener. It is supposed to reverse if it comes in contact with something (child, car) as a precaution. You have to reduce the friction (lubrication, source of binding), or increase the torque (sensitivity).

I asked about the drive to determine where the binding might be occurring. Since the door is coil spring loaded, unless one of the coils is broken, it's not an issue.

I've run into quite a few different opener problems in my time - I'd assumes about all that there are. Let us know how you come out!

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

1.) Check the garage door chain or belt tension. If it is to tight or loose it can
    bind. Also lubricate the track rails regularly.

2.) You ca strip the stain and restain your table any color you want. Just make sure you have a healthy amount of patience and time.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smme5150 View Post
    2.) You can strip the stain and restain your table any color you want. Just make sure you have a healthy amount of patience and time.
    Thank you, and Amen. Look, you must be certain that you actually want to go through with the project, once you've started it. There is nothing worse than having to look at a half-finished project, particularly if it is sitting in your living room to remind you.

Be sure that you have a well ventilated work space, along with plenty of newpapers and rags about. Be relaxed and prepared for frustration as well. Like smme5150 says, patience is very important, as well as some humility. Remember, what you are attempting is essentially a "work in progress", and you will learn by doing.

Best of luck.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Staining a table depends a lot on what kind of look you want it to have and it's age. Usually a sanding of about 220 grit works well. Staining with a rag is the best way to do it, and if you can find the color you want in the Minwax Gel Stain line then use that stuff, it's nice and thick and is more durable than regular stains.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I agree with ATBL, I've done the same with my dad when we had to re-stain a hundred year old wardrobe.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Honestly if I was you I would pay a service and have it stripped professionally. The amount of time to do it right and also your patience will be worth any cost associated with that.

I have done some stuff in thre past and finally came to a point where having someelse do the stripping was the best bet.

What is it with shit green stain, I have a couple of things I need to get redone from my Grandmother and both she had redone with this horrible baby shit green color. Must have been a popular color before we were born or something.

Put up a pic of your project when you get it done. It's cool to see vintage furniture given new life.
    All you need in this life is a tremendous sex drive and a great ego , brain's don't mean a shit! ~ Captain Tony Tarracino

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. ~ Hunter S. Thompson

When you figure out that you can't figure it out, your finally gettin your shit together. ~ Jimmy Buffett

http://www.myspace.com/palm_trees_and_mojitos

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

oh yeah, if it can be dipped and be done with, that's the way to go.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Thank you, and Amen. Look, you must be certain that you actually want to go through with the project, once you've started it. There is nothing worse than having to look at a half-finished project, particularly if it is sitting in your living room to remind you.

Be sure that you have a well ventilated work space, along with plenty of newpapers and rags about. Be relaxed and prepared for frustration as well. Like smme5150 says, patience is very important, as well as some humility. Remember, what you are attempting is essentially a "work in progress", and you will learn by doing.

Best of luck.
    Thanks for the advice, chef. I do plan to do it myself as this particular piece has a lot of sentimental value. I know it will take a lot of patience, of which I am learning as I get older, but I know when itís done it will look great. I will post a pic when Iím finished. (Probably around 2009 or soÖ)