Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Default Name the New Greatest Play Ever

This play has already been called "The Catch 2", which is pretty lame. (I'm pretty sure the original "Catch" refers to Willie Mays)

In football lore, there's already an "Immaculate Reception", so that's out. I've seen this play also called "The Houdini" and "The Unpossible Completion".

This play is very inspiring to me because not one Giants player gives up at any time. Watch closely. The entire front line gets beaten at the snap, that's why Eli has to scramble, but they don't quit on the play. They keep blocking and, by the time Eli has shaken loose, there is a precious half-second where he has a solid wall of blockers in front of him. That kind of O-line dedication wins games.

Eli doesn't panic either. After he shakes loose he actually takes a five-step drop and has enough wits to read the field and find David Tyree. The pass goes a little high, so it's not perfect, but it's not a desperation heave either.

Of course Tyree doesn't quit on the play, obviously. He times his jump perfectly and fights Harrison for the ball all the way down.

I don't think a single Giant player thought "Oh shit, he's getting sacked. Game over". They all stayed on task and did their job. Now they have a trophy.

Anyway, this play deserves a name.

Give it a watch (quickly, before the NFL pulls it off YouTube) and post your suggestions:

Here's the whole scoring drive if you're interested:

Last edited by Bullwinkle; 02.05.08 at 07:44 AM.

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:43 AM
    Liked 278 Times in 100 Posts

Donor

While it is a great play. Its not the greatest play ever. It is one of the best plays I have ever seen, probably the best in the Super Bowl, but not the best play (escape and catch) I have ever seen.
    Even as an Eagles fan I was rooting for the Giants. I live in NE now and have learned to hate the Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins as much as any other team (except the Cowboys, Mets, Braves and Devils).
    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge the New England Fucking Patriots, Dallas Fucking Cowboys, New York Fucking Giants, Washington Fucking Redskins, Carolina Fucking Panthers, Tampa Bay Fucking Bucs, Florida Fucking Marlins, Atlanta Fucking Braves, New York Fucking Mets, Boston Fucking Red Sox, Boston Fucking Bruins, and New Jersey Fucking Devils.

( . Y . ) Boobs!

\m/ \m/
    / / v \ \

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

You're right, Willie Mays made a baseball 'The Catch' in game 1 of the 1954 WS.

However, in football 'The Catch' was Dwight Clark's amazing end zone catch from Joe Montana in the 1982 NFC Championship.

As far as a name for Tyree's catch....hmmmm, we'll have to sit on that for a while.
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Since it was essentially two remarkable plays in one, how about "The Slip and Grip"?
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Eli to Tyree is easily one of the best plays in Super Bowl history. I hate to be such a homer, but the best play I've ever seen was by Donovan McNabb to Freddie Mitchell against the Dallas Cowboys. The whole play lasted 14.1 seconds, with Don running from sideline to sideline, then hitting Mitchell with a 60yd bomb. He threw the ball off of his back foot too which was even more impressive.

http://www.leechvideo.com/video/view3856681.html
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:32 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 904 Posts

It's amazing because if that ball is picked off, Eli is back being a goat. The Houdini act he pulled was amazing and so was the catch.

I think Rodney Harrison must not be too happy when two huge plays in the Super Bowl were by recievers who caught balls near him.

I don't think it's the greatest play but certainly one of the best in the Super Bowl because of when it occurred.

I think the Flutie-to-Phelan catch is one of the best.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Whoops! Looks like the NFL shut down my source.
    Here's another:

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Why don't we call it the "If That Dirty Chump Rodney Harrison Was More Concerned About Tipping the Ball Away instead of Breaking Tyree's Spine, It May Have Never Happened" catch?

Nah. Too long.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:43 AM
    Liked 278 Times in 100 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece View Post
    Eli to Tyree is easily one of the best plays in Super Bowl history. I hate to be such a homer, but the best play I've ever seen was by Donovan McNabb to Freddie Mitchell against the Dallas Cowboys. The whole play lasted 14.1 seconds, with Don running from sideline to sideline, then hitting Mitchell with a 60yd bomb. He threw the ball off of his back foot too which was even more impressive.

http://www.leechvideo.com/video/view3856681.html
    Hey Sucka,
    I'm a homer as well and that is the play I was thinking of as the greatest I've ever seen (That and Randall doing his little flip vs the Giants.)
    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge the New England Fucking Patriots, Dallas Fucking Cowboys, New York Fucking Giants, Washington Fucking Redskins, Carolina Fucking Panthers, Tampa Bay Fucking Bucs, Florida Fucking Marlins, Atlanta Fucking Braves, New York Fucking Mets, Boston Fucking Red Sox, Boston Fucking Bruins, and New Jersey Fucking Devils.

( . Y . ) Boobs!

\m/ \m/
    / / v \ \

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

The Randall Cunningham play against the Giants, while not occurring in the postseason, was still pretty spectacular, especially in light of the fact that the "in the grasp" rules were much more quickly called back then.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by EVHWolf View Post
    Hey Sucka,
    I'm a homer as well and that is the play I was thinking of as the greatest I've ever seen (That and Randall doing his little flip vs the Giants.)
    Yea that one was bad ass, but people forget about this play against the Bills to my man Freddie Barnett. Randall eludes the one and only Bruce Smith on the play. Freddie runs by two defenders, one of whom was Nate Odoms, who was one heck of a DB in his day. Randall's 90yd punt is one of the best plays I've ever seen as well.

"It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

Thanks, Sucka. The Bills. The greatest team to never win a Super Bowl. Why don't you guys go ahead and mention the Music City Miracle while you're at it?
    Hey it looks like there's a chance next year, with our opponents Strength of Schedule of only .449. Wait a second, the Patriots SOS is .387. WTF!?

NFL 2008 opponents

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

Oh BTW Sucka, the Bills won 30-23 on their way to SB XXV!

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by InTheBeginning View Post

As far as a name for Tyree's catch....hmmmm, we'll have to sit on that for a while.
    I grew up having my dad toss the ball high trying to replay that moment. Huge.

This manning/tyree has to be a close second on the amazing scale. Not to reduce cunningham's heroics, because that would be a close second if it were the final couple minutes in the superbowl or post season game too. This being the case with manning puts the spotlight on it though, and rightfully so. Amazing piece of business there.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    This manning/tyree has to be a close second on the amazing scale. Not to reduce cunningham's heroics, because that would be a close second if it were the final couple minutes in the superbowl or post season game too. This being the case with manning puts the spotlight on it though, and rightfully so. Amazing piece of business there.
    Totally agree.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook