Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

07.21.16 @ 10:36 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default *** Omaha Reviews ***

OK mods, move this message or close if you get the Omaha review thread started.

Ok just got home. Well as bad as the KC show was back in October (you can find my review in the thread), this show was 100X better.

Ed - Playing through most of the show was just awesome. The one song I was terribly disappointed with in KC 'Everybody Wants Some' - Ed just totally nailed it tonight in Omaha. Unreal the difference between the two shows.
    And Ed's little deviations that he has been so good with in the past, were there tonight.
    And absolutely no sign of Ed drinking - he looked 100% to me (I was one section from the stage lower bowl). His solo was pretty good for the most part, had a little trouble with a couple of portions but mostly did really well.

Al - As usual what can you say, solid. I did notice during one song, pretty sure it was mean streets, he changed up the beat a bit - gave it a little funk and it sounded great!

Dave - Did a great job on vocals tonight. He did a couple of ad libs which I'll go into shortly here. Also he made sure to mention 'Omaha' and 'Nebraska' a couple of times when he had the chance. (In KC he never mentioned the state let alone the city). Dave even worked the crowd a bit tonight too. He pointed and waved at a few in the lower seats.

Wolfie - Look solid on bass to me. I watched him on the big screen a couple of times when they showed him playing and he was dead on. Also he did have someone throw picks up to him all during the show from the side of the stage. Lots of picks tossed to the crowd by Wolf.

They really looked like they were having fun tonight - did not looked forced like KC did.

Some of the highlights -

Beautiful Girls - Ed was just hitting the first note and Al started playing the drums. Ed stopped right away and turned to look at Al as if to say - what the heck are you doing? Of course Al stopped and Ed went back to playing - very funny moment! Ed laughed at that when he started walking back to the drums.

Somebody Get Me a Doctor - Ed and Dave did an extended blues back and forth in middle of the song. At the end of the little blues section Dave said 'you guys are getting a little extra for your money tonight'

Panama - When Dave was talking about how hot it was tonight - he said 'it's so hot it's insufferable, just like my last 3 relationships'. That got a big laugh out of Eddie and he threw his head back while laughing.

?? = Can't remember what song it was, but the band started playing and Dave said 'Wait a second, I'm going to throw off the rythum here for a sec. I just want to say that this stop is the most fun we've had on the tour so far.' Course I don't know if he meant the 2nd leg or what, but it was cool how he stopped the song at the beginning to say it.

?? = again can't remember which song. But Wolfie just did a little Bass riff and Dave announced Wolfie to the crowd. After everyone cheered Dave said ' See Wolfie, what did I tell about the people from this part of the country".

There were a couple of times where Dave and Ed were talking back and forth and were all smiles.

Ed's Tech - he was up on stage for guitar changes before Ed could get to the side. When Ed had a runny nose (sorry but it happened), Ed motioned to his face. He had a Kleenex within seconds. I know it sounds small but they took care of Ed tonight.

THE SOUND!! OK WAY WAY WAY better. The sound was just fantastic. Thank god they fired that other bunch of goof balls! Ed's guitar was in tune, no issues with the effects whatsoever. And you could hear Dave great as well. No muddy sound tonight! The Bass was thunder but not overdone.

I don't know if they were trying to make up for KC or if this is just the new leg and they have gotten it together. But this show defiantly kicked some ass tonight. My 16 year old daughter, who went to KC with me as well also commented on how much better the sound was tonight and she really got into the show this time.

Ed, Dave, Al and Wolf, thanks for a memorable evening! Good luck on the rest of the tour.

I also have a comment on tickets, I'll put that in the ticket thread though.

Thatís all I have for ya for now, Samhalen signing off!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 1,402 Times in 868 Posts

Since it's not the official review thread, I just want to say that so far this 2nd leg has gotten some great reviews. I know the first leg started off that way too and didn't end up on the hightest of notes. Hopefully, the rest of the tour is just as good!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.24.12 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great show. they were on and havin fun. 1st concert that i haven't left with my ears ringing and the sound was very clear. I have seen roth solo but, and not to start any fights ( i've seen hagar ) i now understand the dave or the grave guys. my wife was totally entertained by roth and loved the show ( not a vh fan)

couple of things, i watched wolfie, he is playing everything, but when he is playing an open string he has a habit of running the hand up and down the fret board. also especially during solo's i thought where is the heavy distorted guitar backing coming from, it sounded like ed was tuned down to an A. i watched wolfie and he turns up the bass volume to a distorted tone. i have watched the video's before the concert and wary before actually seeing him. also he and al had a couple of timing issues early and wolfy hit a couple of squeakers.

ed was very good other than the tremolo picking. just an educated guess but i think he has a little arthritic condition of the right wrist, his movement patterns aren't the same as they used to be. spanish fly during his solo was baddddd.

overall roth's voice was great, the band was tight and I would love to hear them throw some new music out there.
    " if this band fails I'll take up the tuba " Eddie Van Halen
    And playing 3rd tuba in the pasedena marching band Mr Edward Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, with only 3 hours of sleep, I'm back up. My son and I got in at 4 am, and it took us 5 hours to get home vice the 4 hours it took to get up to Omaha. We ran into a snow storm about 2 hours from the house, so reducing speed was a serious must.

We left the house with me thinking the band was going on at 9. It wasn't until I got within Omaha's limits that I phoned the venue and asked them what time VH was going onstage. "8:30" was the reply. The problem?

It was 8:20 when I phoned. And, we were still at least 25 minutes from the venue. Surprised

Yeah...not good! Talk about breaking some speed laws last night on HWY 80! We finally get to the venue, about 20 minutes late Furious , but we got there nonetheless. Grabbed our tickets from Will Call, and it was my son leading the charge to our seats, practically pushing people out of his way once he found out we had floor seats (it was kept as a surprise until we got there). When we ended up 5th row center in the pit, he about shit himself silly...as did I, because I hadn't been this close to a VH stage since '95 at Blockbuster Pavilion in SoCal.

This show was the complete polar opposite of Kansas City. I felt somewhat ripped off after the Kansas City debacle, but last night I was repaid in full. One thing I did notice, being that close, was that yes, Wolfgang IS definitely playing the bass. I was one of those who initially questioned his bass playing ability, but last night I was proved wrong. The boy CAN play. Ed hit a few sour notes last night, but I stress they were very few. The camaraderie I saw between Ed and Dave especially was genuine. No display or hint of any animosity was present. It was as though these guys picked up where they left off in 1984. Alex shortened his solo somewhat, but he still showed why he's such a drumming phenomenon. Ed's solo was great, but "Cathedral" went on a bit too long, and reminded me of his solo in Fukuoka on the '98 tour when the same thing happened. Dave was outstanding, and this was his best vocal performance I've heard yet.

I was really hoping for a changeup in the setlist, but it was the same as every show in '07. But, it was nice seeing/hearing Dave do his rap before "Ice Cream Man". I hope he heard me, though, because when he mentioned living in Los Angeles, I was the only one in the entire pit who yelled out "YEAH!!!!", and had people looking at me. Guess I was the only one from L.A. in attendance last night. Very Happy Highlights for me were "Everybody Wants Some", "Unchained", "Panama", "Mean Street", and "Little Guitars". It's during gems like "Little Guitars" and "So This Is Love" that you can see the difference between the casual fan and the hardcore fan. Damn near everyone around me just stood there and acted as if these were new songs. The band, Ed and Dave particularly, had smiles that could only be surgically removed. I like to think I got the best show of the tour, and I'm backed up by a comment made by Dave in the middle of "Somebody Get Me A Doctor":

"This has been the best show of the tour so far!"

Honestly, there's not much more I can say about last night's show without sounding as though I'm copping reviews from other people's experiences at past shows. I can say this, though: At one point during their set, I leaned in close to my son and told him, "Adrian, watch this band. Tonight you are seeing something special and something you'll remember for the rest of your life: the ability of 4 people who are immensely talented, who have the rare gift to be able to entertain a crowd with their gifts, and who actually love what they do. Watch and learn."

I'm hoping he took those words to heart.

Go here if you'd like to see a quick videoclip:

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.29.17 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default 2/4/08 Omaha Review

I am what you call a silent member here. I read a lot of what is being said but don't have much to say. I know there is a lot of negative comments on the state of the band, so on and so forth, but all I have to say is VH kicked ass in Omaha. One of the single best shows I have seen.

Here are the facts about last nights show:
    Eddie was on fire.
    Alex was solid.
    Dave's vocals were great.
    Wolfgang was awesome. (Put it to rest, He does play and sing very well!)
    All four were genuine about being there. You can't fake the smiles and laughter.

I commend VH for being low key on words to the press and compliment them for letting the music do the talking!!! The music spoke volumes last night!!!! Thank you for a great time!!!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ess82198 View Post
    I am what you call a silent member here. I read a lot of what is being said but don't have much to say. I know there is a lot of negative comments on the state of the band, so on and so forth, but all I have to say is VH kicked ass in Omaha. One of the single best shows I have seen.

Here are the facts about last nights show:
    Eddie was on fire.
    Alex was solid.
    Dave's vocals were great.
    Wolfgang was awesome. (Put it to rest, He does play and sing very well!)
    All four were genuine about being there. You can't fake the smiles and laughter.

I commend VH for being low key on words to the press and compliment them for letting the music do the talking!!! The music spoke volumes last night!!!! Thank you for a great time!!!!

Good post.

Favorite VH Album

VH I, VH II, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Women In Love, I'm The One
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:24 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts

Default Omaha Show

I've let it all soak in and after a few days of reflection, I can still say that this was a terrific show. I was totally taken aback to how tight the band was. Everyone was on fire. As other posters have mentioned Dave's comment about this being their funnest show of the tour, they must have realized everything came together that night perfectly. I know that people have mentioned that they don't know if the affectionate interaction between Eddie and Dave is real or contrived, but I have to say that the way they acted and the looks on their faces have me convinced that it was genuine. This probably just fueled them to continue to bust out a whale of a show.

I have been to many concerts at the Qwest Center and i have to say that many of those concerts disappointed me in how muddled the sound was. I was hopeful that this would not be the case with this show. I've waited too long to see VH finally with Dave back! Well, I was overjoyed that the mix was as close to live perfection as it could be. Everything was well balanced and I still have a smile on my face as I think back on it.

I was most excited to see the band play the songs they are not popularly known for, at least by the more casual fan...Atomic Punk, Little Dreamer, Mean Street, etc. had me riveted. I would have enjoyed hearing more from 1984, such as Top Jimmy and Drop Dead Legs, but I am certainly not critical...that is just a selfish wish on my part.

I have to say that they pumped out so many good ol' songs and they were so tight that to be totally honest, when they played Ain't Talkin Bout Love, I had actually forgotten they hadn't played it yet...I am still amazed that in the heat of the moment I didn't notice they hadn't played it earlier. The songs just kept coming and if they wouldn't have played it, if someone would have asked me after the concert if they played it, I would have probably answered yes...

Wolfie definitely impressed me. He is 16 and holding his own with this incredible band. The kid, although a little weak in stage presence must have a pair of brass balls to stand up there with the legends of Rock he is playing with and let it rip. He's certainly got the chops.

I saw Dave back about 5-6 years ago at a Summer Concert festival put on by a local radio station, and really could have done without it. He really showed what he is all about.

Eddie and Alex are still gods!

Thats all I have to say. Awesome show, now and I want new music and another tour. That's not too much to ask, is it.
    "Forked tongue in double-speak"