Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

Default Air Travel and Guitars ?

Can any of you guys give me any insight on how to fly domestically with my electric guitar ? The airline says carry-ons have to be under 51" Linear (H+W+L), and my Peavey HP is over by about 5" ! I would really hate to check it, because of the abuse that shit takes, it would take a ton more than it's hardshell case to protect it ! They may break the locks off during inspection, etc....

I could just leave it at home, but I'd really like to take it with me and I've gotta believe there's a way to do it safely.

Any of you guys ever fly with your axe ?
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

06.16.12 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

try this , send it via one of the express mail companies before you fly. whever your staying let them know your sending a package ahead of your arrival . my brother flies alot and he sends his stuff like that . just an idea...
    they hate if your the same , and they hate you if your different- evh

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I would get a flight case, the normal case just sits right in it.

They are not cheap though.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Good thread, Lode... I was thinkin' of bringing my Wolfgang down for TLWIV and was gonna start a thread asking about transport and shipping, but you did it for me!

I think Mikey is right, the flight case is probably the way to go...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

my experience was about 13yrs ago so i dont know how useful it will be now, i bought a strat in the states and took it as carry-on back to the u.k. they put it in a special storage locker on board the plane for the duration of the flight and let me have it back when we landed, all i had to do was sweet talk the check-in staff as i checked in. this was however an international flight so i couldnt say for sure that you'd get away with it on a domestic.

tom
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    Good thread, Lode... I was thinkin' of bringing my Wolfgang down for TLWIV and was gonna start a thread asking about transport and shipping, but you did it for me!

That's exactly why I'm asking...had a great little jam last year, but I'd really like to play my own stuff....I'm sure most of you guys are the same !

It's no biggie, I can play Filthy's if need be , but was hoping they'd allow me to carry it on.....even if I had to keep it on my lap !
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    my experience was about 13yrs ago so i dont know how useful it will be now, i bought a strat in the states and took it as carry-on back to the u.k. they put it in a special storage locker on board the plane for the duration of the flight and let me have it back when we landed, all i had to do was sweet talk the check-in staff as i checked in. this was however an international flight so i couldnt say for sure that you'd get away with it on a domestic.

tom
    I have done this also, but was 20 years ago, so you may want to call the airlines and see what your options are.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Lodewijk View Post
    That's exactly why I'm asking...had a great little jam last year, but I'd really like to play my own stuff....I'm sure most of you guys are the same !:
    I know the Wolfgangs are pretty consistent guitars from a production standpoint, but having an almost 11 year old quilt top with 10's and that many years of playing has "shaped" the guitar I'm sure... It's like putting on someone else's shoes that is the same shoe you wear... It's not the same!!!

Look on the bright side, Lode... We have plenty of time to figure out how to get our axes down there safely!!!
    Jet City Super Stealth

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    I know the Wolfgangs are pretty consistent guitars from a production standpoint, but having an almost 11 year old quilt top with 10's and that many years of playing has "shaped" the guitar I'm sure... It's like putting on someone else's shoes that is the same shoe you wear... It's not the same!!!

Look on the bright side, Lode... We have plenty of time to figure out how to get our axes down there safely!!!

One way or another....
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

Now this is totally different, but it may work. I'm not a guitar player but, when I travel with my golf clubs, I rent a hardside travel case from a local golf /ski store.

Maybe call around and see if there's a music store that rents travel cases?? Just a thought.
    Good luck.
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

Donor

Speaking of which... I was thinking of bringing my golf clubs as well...
    Jet City Super Stealth

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:03 PM
    Liked 726 Times in 343 Posts

Air travel with a guitar sucks.
    First off, it all depends on what airline, you are flying, and even what aircrew you have for your flight.

I was on my way somewhere, and explained that I would prefer not to check my guitar case. They said that it would not fit in the overheads, so they would stow it in a crew storage area up front in the cabin. On the way back on the same airline, they would not even let me bring it on the plane, and I had to check it.

I had a decent case, and it made home un-damaged. With a flight case, your guitar should not be damaged by the ground crew.......

BUT..............

When I got home, my guitar was a fucking mess. Neck was out of adjustment, neck screws needed tightened down, and basically required a good set-up, which it had before I got on the plane.

Apparently, the baggage compartment on the aircraft is not temperature controlled, and the outside air temperature at altitude is about -10degrees.

Seeing as the guitar I was transporting was a strat with a varnished neck, and the Wolfgang is more sensitive to temperature and humidity because of the un-finished neck, you may want to reconsider taking it since you don't know if you will be able to get it in the cabin.

I would just get a Stienberger for travel purposes.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I would call the airline to see what they say about carrying it on board in a gig bag. I've seen a few people allowed on with their guitars this way.
    if they say it's not a problem, then just remember to put as much foam as possible around the neck and head stock in order to cushion it. and don't forget to de-tune it too.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'd heard of the carry-on option prior to 9/11, but no airline has given me the okay to do so since.

When I flew to Seattle last summer I checked my Wolfgang via over-sized luggage. (There's usually an over-sized luggage window/area near the baggage claim.) I've always checked my guitar and have never had a problem doing so. The only thing you should be prepared for is for TSA inspectors to open up the case and look through things.

Things to do:

1. Call the airline and see what their policies are (already suggested).
    2. Look into buying or renting a flight case (also already suggested).
    3. See about insurance coverage for your guitar while you're traveling--as part of a homeowner's or renter's plan, or maybe a new separate travel policy altogether. (On my last couple of flights I wasn't allowed to buy luggage insurance from the airlines, and they made me sign a waiver that indicated they were not responsible for damage.)
    4. Put "FRAGILE" stickers on your hard case.

On my flight to Seattle last summer I forgot to take a hex wrench to unlock the locking nut screws. The miraculous thing was... I never needed one! My guitar stayed perfectly in tune for the entire duration of the trip.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

Donor

AT, when you travelled with your Wolfgangs, did you just take them in the factory case or something else? According to Continental's stipulations, the factory case barely is able to be checked baggage (L+H+W).
    Jet City Super Stealth