And thats about what its worth.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.25.09 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Mile High Magic

OMFG....
    Just got home.
    This was well worth waiting over 20 years for.
    I have seen the band in every incarnation, from the Whiskey A Go Go in 1977. The glory days at the Forum.
    F.U.C.K tour with Sammy. Even the 3 tour with Gary.
    This ranks right up there as the BEST.
    Dave was in top form, even with the altitude affecting his voice, (he said he sounded like the Doors).
    Eddie finally seems healthy.
    The ad lib of Cream's Spoonful during Somebody get me a doctor was classic.
    Wolfgang handles the bass like a pro. He definitely is playing every note.
    And of course Alex is a god.
    Hope they can keep it together because the magic is back.

Favorite VH Album

CVH 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.15.12 @ 06:03 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Great show

What a great show Loved it, Ed played very well
    Dave was great I really thought Wolfie played great Alex was Great, Dave sang very well
    Strong spot Alex;s solo Eds intro to mean street, Ed played Great, he seemed a lil bored in his solo he played part of spanish fly cathedral 316 mixed in eruption, I did not like his drum stick solo part, They played part of magic bus by the who, spoonful by cream, I also heard part of smoke on the water at the end of everybody wants some
    Dave rides a bike in the suburbs of Denver
    Really had a great time
    Props Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

1. They came
    2. They played
    3. They kicked ass!

That's all I have to say about that. I can't really extrapolate what I'm feeling right now. Didn't have the best seats, sound was a little muddy. Still the best VH show I've ever seen. Of course, this was my first DLR show ever. We were very pleased with the show.

Thank you for coming to the Mile High City!!

PS We got a little snow during the show...nothing like coming out after a concert and having to clean the car and then sit in traffic!
    Last edited by InTheBeginning; 02.01.08 at 10:49 PM.
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

...who?
    Favorite VH Song

um...what?
    Last Online

02.04.08 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Amazing show!
    Great playing, great singing...great energy!!
    Everyone was on top of their game. Ed had a couple sloppy moments here and there but they were few and far between with most of his playing sounding great and tasty.
    I forgot how much of a star David Lee Roth is. He has a very commanding presence even if he's just standing there...he sang great as well.
    Alex was Alex; incredible as always...tight but loose. His drom solo was surprisingly powerful and explosive. For someone who's in his mid fifties, he's still an amazing drummer hands down.
    Wolf played great...he was boring at times but it didn't take anything away from the show. It was funny how he would fuck with his Dad occasionally. If they were standing next to eachother jamming and Ed would turn away, Wolf would reach over and pluck a string or tap on his neck and then walk away lol.
    Funny stuff.
    Ed played a few guitars I've never really seen before. For the most part he played that new cream colored thing but about halfway into the show he started whipping out some old red and white guitars. The first one was red with a different white tape pattern that almost looked like a burst...then he brought out a red guitar with white tape patterns but only a bridge pickup...no neck one...not even a place carved out for one...it looked kind of strange. Then he brought out the classic Frankenstrat.
    Wolf had a red and white bass too...also a black one with yellow tape...
    All in all i was pleasantly surprised at how great the show was.
    Great playing...great songs...just a fun night of rock and roll.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by InTheBeginning View Post
    We got a little snow during the show...nothing like coming out after a concert and having to clean the car and then sit in traffic!
    As the beer wears off Saturday morning, I discover that there was a mini thunder-blizzard during the show. Seriously, lightning, thunder and snow.

Only when Van Halen is in town!

Last Online

01.06.12 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You know, I hate to break up the good reviews and all and don't get me wrong...it was a pretty good show, but....

The Good
    -Dave's voice-sounded WAY better than the Sam and Dave tour when I last heard it
    -Song selection, dug the list...nice flow
    -Everyone's playing, all seemed to have their shit together
    -Dave's speech before Ice Cream man...good stuff and he told it in a really cool way
    -Background vocals...I don't know if they are piping it in or if that kid can sing that well, but it sounded pretty dam goo

The Bad
    -No MA running around being the crazy bastard that he is...just didn't feel like that party type atmosphere it usually is when Mike is around
    -Energy, I know they are all getting old, but Dave threw in a couple of kicks here and there...to me they seemed like they were doing it for the money...not for the love of the game
    -I don't know if it's a bad thing, but a little weird for me not hearing any of the Hagar years tunes, I got into VH right around 1984, so a majority of what I grew up on was the Hagar stuff....just weird not to hear it at a VH concert (you're welcome for the softball all you Sammy Hagar haters!)
    -Ed's and Al's solo, I'm a musician appreciate their talent and all, but Ed's especially seemed like he was bored...they are incredible players, but would have rather heard a couple more tunes like House of Pain or Hear About It Later or Hang Em' High with the time they spent on them

We had a good time and for a 16 year old Wolfie does a pretty dam good job (imagine the pressure that poor kid has on him), I just wouldn't put it up there with the greatest shows of all time. It made me wish I had a time machine and could go back to see them in 81 or 82 so I could get the full experience and really see what the Roth years were all about...with Mikey in the mix and when the truly did rule the musical world.

Favorite VH Album

CVH 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by handyman View Post
    You know, I hate to break up the good reviews and all and don't get me wrong...it was a pretty good show, but....

The Good
    -Dave's voice-sounded WAY better than the Sam and Dave tour when I last heard it
    -Song selection, dug the list...nice flow
    -Everyone's playing, all seemed to have their shit together
    -Dave's speech before Ice Cream man...good stuff and he told it in a really cool way
    -Background vocals...I don't know if they are piping it in or if that kid can sing that well, but it sounded pretty dam goo

The Bad
    -No MA running around being the crazy bastard that he is...just didn't feel like that party type atmosphere it usually is when Mike is around
    -Energy, I know they are all getting old, but Dave threw in a couple of kicks here and there...to me they seemed like they were doing it for the money...not for the love of the game
    -I don't know if it's a bad thing, but a little weird for me not hearing any of the Hagar years tunes, I got into VH right around 1984, so a majority of what I grew up on was the Hagar stuff....just weird not to hear it at a VH concert (you're welcome for the softball all you Sammy Hagar haters!)
    -Ed's and Al's solo, I'm a musician appreciate their talent and all, but Ed's especially seemed like he was bored...they are incredible players, but would have rather heard a couple more tunes like House of Pain or Hear About It Later or Hang Em' High with the time they spent on them

We had a good time and for a 16 year old Wolfie does a pretty dam good job (imagine the pressure that poor kid has on him), I just wouldn't put it up there with the greatest shows of all time. It made me wish I had a time machine and could go back to see them in 81 or 82 so I could get the full experience and really see what the Roth years were all about...with Mikey in the mix and when the truly did rule the musical world.

First concert WACF, I went to both nights of the 1984 shows, I also went to Van Halen fronted by Sammy in 1986, this is not to dog you, but what you witnessed last night was a great show, I agree in my review Ed did seem bored in his solo spot, Sammy never had the energy of Roth when playing in Van Halen way different vibe, I do not want to bash Sam, its just a shame we cannot review what we saw and stayed focused on that, Van Halen with Roth. The show IMO was strong had energy and was one of the better shows I have seen in along time, its not 1984 anymore, these guys played their asses off, I loved it
    THANK YOU VAN HALEN FOR KICKING DENVERS ASS
    Great Show all around worth every penny
    Last edited by killerq; 02.02.08 at 08:23 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.29.17 @ 07:34 AM
    Liked 54 Times in 27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by killerq View Post
    First concert WACF, I went to both nights of the 1984 shows, I also went to Van Halen fronted by Sammy in 1986, this is not to dog you, but what you witnessed last night was a great show, I agree in my review Ed did seem bored in his solo spot, Sammy never had the energy of Roth when playing in Van Halen way different vibe, I do not want to bash Sam, its just a shame we cannot review what we saw and stayed focused on that, Van Halen with Roth. The show IMO was strong had energy and was one of the better shows I have seen in along time, its not 1984 anymore, these guys played thier asses off, I loved it
    THANK YOU VAN HALEN FOR KICKING DENVERS ASS
    Great Show all around worth every penny
    Killrq - this thread IS NOT for debating!!!! Its for reviews!!! Everyone has a opinion!!!
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

CVH 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Eds Guitars

Ed played four different guitars
    Main Guitar was a cream colored Woflgang
    He played a Red and White striped Art series I believe
    He played a Different Red and white striped one looked pretty cool
    Then he brought out the Frankenstrat for little guitars very cool IMO
    Great show my head is still ringing

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by handyman View Post
    The Bad-
    Energy, I know they are all getting old, but Dave threw in a couple of kicks here and there...
    My wife said that Dave seemed/looked tired when the came out for the encore. Yes, his kicks were somewhat subdued but hey, he's in his 50's. If I can kick like that in some 10 odd years, I'll be happy!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

Default An early review form the Rocky Mountain News

A 'Jump' back to Van Halen's roots, reunion worth the wait
    By Mark Brown, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
    Saturday, February 2, 2008

Matt McClain / The Rocky

Eddie Van Halen, left, Alex Van Halen, center on drums, and singer David Lee Roth perform during Van Halen's reunion tour at the Pepsi Center on Friday night.

Related Links SLIDE SHOW: Van Halen rocks the Pepsi Center

It's the reunion they blew in 1996. Then again in 2000 and '02. Then it was announced last year, but with Eddie Van Halen's son on bass. Then Eddie went into rehab.

The Van Halen reunion has been messed up so many times in so many different ways that it's amazing that the band is rolling across the country in 2008 as a tight unit, ripping through some of the biggest songs in classic rock.

Fans wearing "David Lee Roth IS Van Halen" T-shirts in the crowd saw that it's partially true, partially not.

Having Roth, one of rock's finest frontmen when he wants to be, back with the band and songs he made world-famous is a great, great thing. But equally great is having Eddie Van Halen back on top of his game, looking night-and-day healthier than his last stop through town.

Then again, maybe it's musical comfort food. By definition, the band couldn't play anything past 1984, as Roth left the band a year later, so the show was a throwback to simpler times. Simply seeing EVH and DLR sharing a stage - happily so - is a sight many fans thought they'd never see again.

Halfway through the opening You Really Got Me, the band simply paused and the exhilarated arena let out a lusty cheer, thrilled to see the band in close to its original incarnation.

What was lacking was any sense of a false reunion. Sure they're pulling in the cash on this sold-out tour, but cash has never been enough to make them put aside their egos. At the very least they're willing to put up with each other to make this happen.

Despite the fact that they're endlessly on the radio, one forgets just how many huge hits the original band put out in its six years of fire before implosion.

Favorites like Hot For Teacher and Beautiful Girls were obvious picks to bring down the house, but album tracks like Mean Streets and Everybody Wants Some kept the crowd just as rabid. With the biggest big screen ever and lasers aplenty, Van Halen put on an old-school rock show, fearlessly blasting through hits and rock star poses (though I don't think anyone would have objected to more shirts, less skin).

Teenaged Wolfgang Van Halen was the revelation, handling bass and vocals deftly with a style obviously derived from his father but not cloned. Hard-core fans say it's not Van Halen without Michael Anthony on bass, but no one was complaining Friday night.

At press time, big hits like Jump and Ain't Talkin' About Love were still to come, but with the VH reunion, apparently the fifth time's the charm.

Van Halen

* When: Friday night

* Where: Pepsi Center

* Grade: A

Last Online

01.06.12 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think you guys think I hated the show, I really didn't, I just think the no MA thing effects the overall performance more than people think. Don't get me wrong, Wolfie is doing a great job (especially for a kid so young), I just liked what MA brought to the table in energy with his performance in comparison and had he been on this tour, it would have been so much better in the end.

Energy on stage is contageous, no matter what size crowd you are playing for. MA's stage presence would have made this thing move a lot more, just like when you have someone standing there does in a negative way.

The biggest thing I was disappointed in, which is what I'm trying to get across (not trying to debate), was the energy level. I've seen them four times before they broke it off with Sammy, the Cherone show and the Sammy reunion show...but like I said, I wish I could have seen them with Dave in 81 or 82, must of been REALLY cool.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.19.16 @ 09:33 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 57 Posts

Let me start by saying that I was very reluctant to shell out $175 for this show. I picked up a guitar at age 12 because of Eddie Van Halen and spent thousands of hours learning his signature licks. I've watched with a mix of both hope and disappointment as the band let prime years pass without releasing a new album or touring with DLR.

By the time this tour was first rumored, I wasn't even sure I still had any interest. I watched the Youtube stuff and read reviews on this board throughout the first leg of the tour. They were leaning favorable about 4 to 1. One common refrain; however, was that Eddie's playing had badly deteriorated. By Vegas NYE, it appeared as though the wheels were leaving the rails. I considered selling my ticket until favorable reviews of OKC, Dallas, and Houston convinced me otherwise. I was still not sure I wanted to watch my childhood hero as a shell of his former self.

I'm very happy to say that reports of the demise of Edward Van Halen have been grossly exaggerated. I play guitar professionally, and I listened with an extremely critical ear. Of course, his chops aren't quite what they were when the fire in his belly burned the hottest (say 78-84), but Eddie is still a player of the rarest skill, dexterity, imagination and sense of melody. He looked sober, healthy (albeit a bit thin), and focused. On a gear-related note, I love the cream Wolfgang with the zebra pickups and the ivory tolex amps.

As the riffs that were almost like the soundtrack of my adolescence came pouring out into the Denver night, I admit to being overwhelmed with a level of excitement that I did not anticipate. A couple posters felt like the energy level was low. I felt quite the opposite. There was electricity in the air - a pulse. In fact, it's noteworthy that beer sales were suspended shortly after 9pm because the crowd was "too rowdy."

Dave was energetic and engaging, and I still would say he belongs on the shortlist of the most charismatic front men of all time. The upper end of his register is little shaky, but overall his vocals were rock solid. I enjoyed the ice cream man monologue and came away impressed with Dave's guitar playing.

Alex's drumming is singular, and I really don't know how many other drummers you can say that about. Bonham and Moon? Enough said there I think.

I was EXTREMELY skeptical when Wolfgang was introduced as Van Halen's new bass player. It smacked of Nepotism. All I can say is that the kid can indeed play, just as camp Van Halen promised. I can't say he's a child prodigy (not when compared to say, Derek Trucks at a similar age) but this kid will have a career in music with or without Van Halen. He's that good. I'm not sure, however, if the backing vocals were entirely live. On some of the more vocal-intensive songs like Jamie's Cryin', I think Alex was using a click track and the backing vocals were pre-recorded.

If you are on the fence about this tour, I implore you to go. You will not be disappointed. This is coming from a self-described naysayer. In the end, the best compliment I can give is that it's a rock show that feels both nostalgic and brand new at the same time.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for new music in early 2009 and two nights at Red Rocks in Summer 2009. A guy can dream right?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

Default Denver Post Review 2.3.08

Well said C B Brown.

Van Halen still puts on a rockin' show
    By Ricardo Baca
    Denver Post Music Critic
    Article Last Updated: 02/02/2008 10:37:26 PM MST

Singer David Lee Roth waves a flag above drummer Alex Van Halen and guitarist Eddie Van Halen at the Pepsi Center on Friday night. They sounded as tight and reckless as ever. (John Leyba, The Denver Post )

The flashy brand of rock 'n' roll that put Van Halen into the public's heart and the history books was all about putting on a show: Diamond David Lee Roth's outrageous antics and guitarist Eddie Van Halen's otherworldly ability on the fretboard.

Given that kind of a history, the band's reunion show Friday night at the Pepsi Center was an outright success.

Knowing well that "Everybody Wants Some," three-quarters of the original band gave it to them. New addition Wolfgang Van Halen, Eddie's 16-year-old son, replaced original bassist Michael Anthony last year and was in proper form to boot.

This was the reunion most true Van Halen fans had been waiting for. The mostly original lineup didn't disappoint, carrying through with each of the band's signature moves and famous songs and looking oddly happy while doing it.

"You Really Got Me" was a decent opener, but what really got the crowd pumped was the happiness with which it was carried out. Formerly public enemies, Eddie Van Halen and Diamond Dave looked like buddies who had known each other for 20-plus years. (Which they kind of are.)

It could have been honest, or it could have been a facade, but all the hugging and smiles was exactly what the crowd wanted to see.

The band started out playing pretty tight, but the years that had passed since 1984 (and "1984") seemed obvious. But by the third song, "Runnin' With the Devil," the group had erased any doubt in the haters' minds. This was Van Halen, and they were back sounding as tight and reckless as ever.

Roth, wearing a sequined mariachi- matador hybrid with numerous top hats, acknowledged the not-quite- complete reunion early on, and his honestly was appreciated.

Eddie Van Halen walked on the stage at 9 p.m. in white cargo pants, Chuck Taylors and no shirt looking toned and fit. He and his band didn't leave until after 11:15 p.m., proving they still had the two-plus hour set in them.

A couple lame covers padded the lengthy set, of course, including The Who's "Magic Bus" and Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman" (snatched from the 1982 Van Halen record "Diver Down"). But most of the hits rang as true as they did two decades ago.

Most impressive was "Panama," which ignited the encore. It is an amazing '80s-rock song, yes, but this track proved a timelessness that was otherwise absent the rest of the band's catalog.

"Beautiful Girls" was a fun and silly crowd-pleaser, but "Somebody Get Me a Doctor" said more about the band and who they are in 2008. Roth started the song on his own with a harmonica and a megaphone, and the band seemed to translate the track to this very different time and age. As expected, "Jump" closed out the night, and it was a fine jolt although it was disappointing the band chose to play to tracked synths instead of a live keyboard.

A massively wide screen stretched the width of the stage and provided the crowd with tasty close-ups of Eddie Van Halen's ridiculous fret work and drummer Alex Van Halen's mastery of an very large drum kit. The gigantic screen gave the show a welcomed sense of intimacy especially because the Pepsi Center, while the perfect place to see Van Halen, is a cavernous concert venue.

Ricardo Baca, 303-954-1394 or rbaca@denverpost.com