Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Eruption Webbed1's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.28.03
    Age
    49
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    1,497
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    01.02.15 @ 01:00 PM
    Likes
    5
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post


    Donor

    Default Question about EBMM EVH

    Were there any changes made to the Music Man EVH model through the years that it was made (pickups, etc) ? I'm thinking about buying a '94 and figured this was the best place to get any answers about it. Any info would be much appreciated.
    \m/ Roll Tide \m/

    Check out my MUSIC

    "To not be heard is to not exist"

  2. #2
    Eruption
    Join Date
    08.19.06
    Location
    seattle, WA
    Posts
    768
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

    Most of them!
    Last Online

    09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    No real changes were make on that guitar at all. The early ones they changed form nitro to poly on the clearcoat but tha is it. Unless you are a collector as I once was it does not matter.

  3. #3
    Eruption Webbed1's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.28.03
    Age
    49
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    1,497
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    01.02.15 @ 01:00 PM
    Likes
    5
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post


    Donor

    Default

    Not a collector... I love my Wolf, but I've always wanted a MM... so it's for playing
    \m/ Roll Tide \m/

    Check out my MUSIC

    "To not be heard is to not exist"

  4. #4
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Someone here pointed out that the very earliest models had original Floyd Rose trems and an accompanying route on the body between the trem posts (like a Wolfgang Special). When they switched to Gotoh licensed FR trems they lost the body route.

    The only EBMMs I've ever seen with original Floyds, though, were the ones in early photos with EVH.

  5. #5
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    68,719
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 01:27 PM
    Likes
    1,264
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

    Default

    I have one of the earliest EBMM's made, a pink one, and it doesn't have a real Floyd. I also have one of the last ones made, a '95 amber and it's identical to my pink one.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

  6. #6
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.20.04
    Posts
    1,374
    Last Online

    06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Likes
    207
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

    Default

    all the production EBMM's came with the Gotoh Floyd. the only ones with original Floyds were the proto's.

  7. #7
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.23.05
    Posts
    1,780
    Last Online

    11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scottfletcher View Post
    No real changes were make on that guitar at all. The early ones they changed form nitro to poly on the clearcoat but tha is it. Unless you are a collector as I once was it does not matter.
    What year did they change clearcoat?

  8. #8
    Eruption Webbed1's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.28.03
    Age
    49
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    1,497
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    01.02.15 @ 01:00 PM
    Likes
    5
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post


    Donor

    Default

    Cool, thanks for the info!
    \m/ Roll Tide \m/

    Check out my MUSIC

    "To not be heard is to not exist"

  9. #9
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.06.02
    Age
    46
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    1,679
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 03:08 PM
    Likes
    1,101
    Liked 784 Times in 422 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    What year did they change clearcoat?
    For some reason, the *third* year EBMM's seem to come to mind for this change...which would put it around late '92, early '93...right?

    I don't have any hard facts (and haven't even googled), but I seem to recall somewhere that overall the "faded dye jobs" run was about 35-40% of the total number of guitars produced...which would place the nitro to poly switch somewhere late in the full second year-to-early third year of production.

    Also, to back tommy up, the prototypes were the ONLY ones with recessed floyd routes. NO production guitars had recessed floyd routes, and the number of prototypes was less than 50 total.

    For what it's worth, my RED EBMM is from September '92, and I STILL have yet to have any fading issues.

    Of course: (1) it's red, a color which hasn't had much in the way of fading issues over the years. (2) my penis has seen the light of day more often than my EBMM...and I have a small penis...

    For what it's worth...

  10. #10
    Eruption Wolfgang Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.09.04
    Location
    Upstate N.Y.
    Posts
    1,378
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 12:42 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hubs View Post
    For what it's worth, my RED EBMM is from September '92, and I STILL have yet to have any fading issues.

    Agreed, my red EVH is from October '92 with no fading neither, but I play mine......


    Last edited by Wolfgang Bob; 02.02.08 at 06:59 AM.
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............... Dirty Harry

  11. #11
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.23.05
    Posts
    1,780
    Last Online

    11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hubs View Post
    For some reason, the *third* year EBMM's seem to come to mind for this change...which would put it around late '92, early '93...right?

    I don't have any hard facts (and haven't even googled), but I seem to recall somewhere that overall the "faded dye jobs" run was about 35-40% of the total number of guitars produced...which would place the nitro to poly switch somewhere late in the full second year-to-early third year of production.

    Also, to back tommy up, the prototypes were the ONLY ones with recessed floyd routes. NO production guitars had recessed floyd routes, and the number of prototypes was less than 50 total.

    For what it's worth, my RED EBMM is from September '92, and I STILL have yet to have any fading issues.

    Of course: (1) it's red, a color which hasn't had much in the way of fading issues over the years.
    Cool ... mines a '93 and I have no issues with fading either.
    However, I intentionally chose one in "amber" for fear of something like that happening.




    Quote Originally Posted by hubs View Post
    (2) my penis has seen the light of day more often than my EBMM...and I have a small penis...

    For what it's worth...
    Whoa ... WAY too much info. bro.

  12. #12
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    68,719
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 01:27 PM
    Likes
    1,264
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

    Default

    I played the shit out of my pink one for years, which I got in early 1992. I played it everywhere, and it hasn't faded at all, not even slightly. It hasn't seen the light of day in 6 or 7 years, but before that, everywhere. My '95 amber one has never been out of the house, it also hasn't faded in the least.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

  13. #13
    Hot For Teacher dg5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.07.04
    Age
    55
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    266
    Favorite VH Album

    All of em !
    Favorite VH Song

    same as above
    Last Online

    07.01.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Someone here pointed out that the very earliest models had original Floyd Rose trems and an accompanying route on the body between the trem posts (like a Wolfgang Special). When they switched to Gotoh licensed FR trems they lost the body route.

    The only EBMMs I've ever seen with original Floyds, though, were the ones in early photos with EVH.
    Here is a Nat with an OFR bridge !! And the route for the Floyd, at the front edge !!

    Doug

    You can tune a piano, but you cant tuna fish !

    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=545590&T=6107

  14. #14
    Good Enough vanzefflin's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.17.04
    Location
    Oklahoma/Texas border
    Posts
    1,527
    Last Online

    10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Likes
    69
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

    Default

    I have two purple ones, both faded. One black, not faded. I have had a red one that faded. I also owned a black one that faded to a real dark green.
    EDDIE IS THE ULTIMATE ROCK DOG!

  15. #15
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzefflin View Post
    I have two purple ones, both faded. One black, not faded. I have had a red one that faded. I also owned a black one that faded to a real dark green.
    Those were the colors that faded most of the time (hence my starting the other thread about UV protection: http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/uv-p...d-t42328.html). Apparently the blue ones also started out as more of a royal blue but faded to a teal.

    I have a '98 trans purple Axis that hasn't faded at all. Apparently they got it figured out by then.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. EBMM neck question.
    By Rotius in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06.14.06, 06:32 PM
  2. EBMM EVH trem question......
    By Wolfgang Bob in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09.19.05, 05:13 PM
  3. ebmm axis neck versus ebmm evh
    By elvhfan in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02.20.05, 05:41 PM
  4. QUESTION: New EBMM Guitars V. EVH EBMM
    By BOBW_5150 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01.31.05, 12:29 AM
  5. EVH EBMM question
    By GstringtunedtoA in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06.21.00, 02:58 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •