Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Accidentally like a martyr: Warren Zevon

Any Zevon fans out there?

I grew up listening to him because my father was a huge fan. Not only was his music fantastic but he had this really great sense of lyrical humor as well. Obviously, the entire “Excitable Boy” CD is nothing but phenomenal, but do yourself a favor if your interested in Warren Zevon, Pick up a copy of “The Wind” and listen to it from start to finish. That would be Zevon’s last record before his passing. If “Keep Me in Your Heart” doesn’t move you, I don’t know what else will.

…”Dad, get me out of this”…..
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Love Zevon! "The Wind" is great from beginning to end. I've just gotten into him in the last 3-4 months. My favorite song that I've heard of his is "My Ride's Here."
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

One of the most compelling and unblinkingly honest biography's that I've run across in recent years has to be Crystal Zevon's "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead", the story of her dear friend (and former husband) Warren Zevon. It's all here, warts and all: the highs and terrible lows that the guy went through, the euphoria as well as the soul crushing heartbreaks, the drinking, drugs and truly odd, obsessive behavior, all told as matter of factly and brutally as daylight hitting a hangover. And that is not to say it is in any way judgemental: details are simply laid out for the reader to consider by reliable and famous names, as well as by the man himself (his actual diary is quoted in some deeply moving situations).

One comes away somewhat bruised, certainly enlightened, a tad depressed yet oddly cheerful...it's that kind of work. If you have not already read this marvelous book, I highly recommend it.

craig

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance, ADKOFT
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, As Is
    Last Online

03.30.15 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Another cool thing about the book is that it mentions Warren meeting and talking with EVH several times..

I love Zevon... Except for sub-par sound quality the "Learning to Flinch" live CD is awsome.

Zevon-4-Ever.

Brandon

www.myspace.com/brandonwhitemusic

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

04.05.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Donor

There's certain artits, songs at this age just take you back to those freewheeling days in the mid to late 70's. I listened recently to two of them . One was Dave Mason- Let it Flow and the other was Stand in the Fire. I had the album but could never find the CD and by chance saw a listing a while ago on EBAY from a woman who to make a long story short took the album and and got it on CD. And she was so cool that all she wanted was really the shipping costs for Zevon fans to acquire it. Warren Zevon had it and I'm alwful glad he shared it with us.
    Last edited by ddzavis; 01.31.08 at 05:09 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    One of the most compelling and unblinkingly honest biography's that I've run across in recent years has to be Crystal Zevon's "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead", the story of her dear friend (and former husband) Warren Zevon. It's all here, warts and all: the highs and terrible lows that the guy went through, the euphoria as well as the soul crushing heartbreaks, the drinking, drugs and truly odd, obsessive behavior, all told as matter of factly and brutally as daylight hitting a hangover. And that is not to say it is in any way judgemental: details are simply laid out for the reader to consider by reliable and famous names, as well as by the man himself (his actual diary is quoted in some deeply moving situations).

One comes away somewhat bruised, certainly enlightened, a tad depressed yet oddly cheerful...it's that kind of work. If you have not already read this marvelous book, I highly recommend it.

craig

Thanks, Craig. That's the second recommendation I've gotten on this book. I'll definitely have to pick it up.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:43 AM
    Liked 6,839 Times in 3,579 Posts

Premium Member

Last Online

07.27.11 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great songwriter...he also did a mean cover of Raspberry Beret...most Prince fans don't care for it, but i think it rocks

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blount5150 View Post
    Great songwriter...he also did a mean cover of Raspberry Beret...most Prince fans don't care for it, but i think it rocks
    Thank you!
    I wish more people had heard that song, let alone the whole E.P. It was called "The Hindu Love Gods". It was Zevon with R.E.M. as backing band. Oh, and good luck finding it. I have my copy, one of about 28-29 that were bought.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Zevon died on my 32nd birthday I find The Wind to be a hard listen since he was dying the whole time he was working on it. I think Lawyer's, Guns, and Money is one of the greatest songs ever.

I know when this book came out, I heard an interview with Crystal Zevon, and I was sure she said that Dave Barry helped on it too, but I don't see him credited anywhere.

I missed the Letterman when he was on the whole hour. I think I flipped right past - I didn't know he was sick yet. I love this line from there:
    Letterman asked Zevon if his condition had taught him anything about life and death. ''How much you're supposed to enjoy every sandwich,'' Zevon answered.

Last Online

Premium Member

Default that ain't no EP baby!

Thank you!
    Oh, and good luck finding it. I have my copy, one of about 28-29 that were bought.
    I've got my copy on Chrome Cassette Tape in Dolby.

The missing link on the Zevon CD shelf in this town.

Cross Cut Saw bitches. Wang my Dang Doodle!

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:01 AM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blount5150 View Post
    My parents brought me up on Warren. I own several records, and even bought tickets for my dad's birthday to see him play at a benefit concert....

BTW, Raspberry Beret was recorded with the Hindu Love Gods (Peter Buck, Bill Berry, and Mike Mills, aka 3/4 of REM), along with a full record of songs.

He was an original. My Grandmother died a couple years ago from emphysema, lung cancer...2nd hand smoke no less (her husband, my grandfather smoked and died of emphysema 20 years earlier). Anyways, I ended up performing Keep Me In Your Heart at her funeral. Perfect song. He wrote it about his own death:

Shadows are falling and I'm running out of breath
    Keep me in your heart for awhile

If I leave you it doesn't mean I love you any less

When you get up in the morning and you see that crazy sun

There's a train leaving nightly called when all is said and done

Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-li-li-lo

Sometimes when you're doing simple things
    around the house
    Maybe you'll think of me and smile

You know I'm tied to you like the buttons on
    your blouse

Hold me in your thoughts, take me to your dreams
    Touch me as I fall into view
    When the winter comes keep the fires lit
    And I will be right next to you

Engine driver's headed north to Pleasant Stream

These wheels keep turning but they're running out
    of steam

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

craig

Thanks, craig! I call myself a Zevon fan and didn't even know this existed...
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    My parents brought me up on Warren. I own several records, and even bought tickets for my dad's birthday to see him play at a benefit concert....

BTW, Raspberry Beret was recorded with the Hindu Love Gods (Peter Buck, Bill Berry, and Mike Mills, aka 3/4 of REM), along with a full record of songs.

He was an original. My Grandmother died a couple years ago from emphysema, lung cancer...2nd hand smoke no less (her husband, my grandfather smoked and died of emphysema 20 years earlier). Anyways, I ended up performing Keep Me In Your Heart at her funeral. Perfect song. He wrote it about his own death:

Shadows are falling and I'm running out of breath

If I leave you it doesn't mean I love you any less

When you get up in the morning and you see that crazy sun

There's a train leaving nightly called when all is said and done

Sometimes when you're doing simple things
    around the house
    Maybe you'll think of me and smile

You know I'm tied to you like the buttons on
    your blouse

Hold me in your thoughts, take me to your dreams
    Touch me as I fall into view
    When the winter comes keep the fires lit
    And I will be right next to you

Engine driver's headed north to Pleasant Stream

These wheels keep turning but they're running out
    of steam

I purchased this this CD when it first came out. If you saw the documentary on VH1 regarding the making of this disc, it becomes even more poignant. I play this CD alot when I'm alone in the car. It hits home with me rather hard and I can certainly relate to many of the lyrics.
    "Disorder in the House" is so universal in relation to the struggles of a family during a time of crisis. "Keep me in your Heart" literally used to bring me to tears during our low moments.
    To be very honest with you "Keep me in your Heart" is 1 of the songs that we have considered using during a celebration of life taking place in the near future.
    All you need in this life is a tremendous sex drive and a great ego , brain's don't mean a shit! ~ Captain Tony Tarracino

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. ~ Hunter S. Thompson

When you figure out that you can't figure it out, your finally gettin your shit together. ~ Jimmy Buffett

http://www.myspace.com/palm_trees_and_mojitos

Last Online

Premium Member

Default Warren's earliest champion pays tribute

Rolling Stone
    David Fricke
    Posted Sep 19, 2003 12:00 AM

The first time I ever heard a Warren Zevon song, it was sung by Jackson Browne -- in September, 1975, at the Main Point, a small, legendary coffeehouse in the suburbs of Philadelphia. I worked there as a publicist -- my first, big gig in the music business. Browne was there to bring some saving grace. He had been a regular and favorite performer at the club for years, and he was back, with guitarist David Lindley, to play a week of benefit nights to help the Point's ailing finances.
    Browne also took the opportunity to tell his fans about one of his best friends and favorite songwriters. The night I was there (which happened to be broadcast on local radio -- and bootlegged), he made a point of spelling Zevon's last name, for everyone's future reference, and then spelled out the dimensions of Zevon's gifts by playing three of his songs: the warm, mysterious "Mohammed's Radio"; the rip-roaring "Werewolves of London"; and the sweet, blue heartbreaker "Hasten Down the Wind." "What do you think? Do you think we got a hit?" Browne asked us during the sing-along howl of "Werewolves." We agreed. He was right, of course. Browne would go on to produce Zevon's acclaimed 1976 Asylum debut, Warren Zevon, and co-produce "Werewolves," the only Top Thirty hit Zevon ever had.

On September 7th, Warren Zevon died at his home in Los Angeles, at the age of fifty-six, after a year-long, very public battle with lung cancer. He made sure that he -- not the disease -- had the last word on his legacy: writing and recording a final album of droll wisdom and earnest farewell, The Wind, and allowing the sessions, as well as his declining health, to be filmed for a VH1 special, Keep Me in Your Heart. Twenty-eight years after that Main Point show, almost to the day, Browne spoke to me at length about Zevon's life and art for a Rolling Stone magazine tribute. It was an honest, touching, funny conversation, the appropriate homage to a man who was all those things and more. Here it is in full:

The other night, I was listening to my bootleg of that Main Point show in 1975, and I couldn't help cracking up when you got to that line in the second verse of "Werewolves of London": "I'd like to meet his tailor." It comes out of nowhere, amid all the booze and blood lust in the song, but it's a killin' line.

Somebody made reference to that song at Warren's memorial service, which gave me a new perspective on the song after all these years. It's about a really well-dressed, ladies' man, a werewolf preying on little old ladies. In a way, it's the Victorian nightmare, the gigolo thing. The idea behind all of those references is the idea of the ne'er-do-well who devotes his life to pleasure: the debauched Victorian gentleman in gambling clubs, consorting with prostitutes; the aristocrat who squanders the family fortune. All of that is secreted away in that one line: "I'd like to meet his tailor."

Did you see or talk to Warren much in his last months?

Not at all, actually. I left him a few messages. He had so many people calling -- he got overwhelmed by how many people he had to talk to about this. I was going to write him a letter, and then I didn't. I wasn't able to put it in a letter. [Sighs] I would talk to Jorge [Calderon, Zevon's longtime friend and collaborator] to find out where Warren was at, how well, or unwell, he was.

In making his illness public -- recording The Wind, doing the VH1 documentary -- I think he gave people the mistaken impression that he was being brave and witty twenty-four hours a day, when in fact so much of what he had to go through was private and hard.

The VH1 special is a celebration of his bravery in the face of mortality -- his ability to summon that gallows humor, even then. They got so many moments in that special when he really was funny and charming, even when he was having an argument with Jorge: "Look, I'm the one who's dying here . . ."

But in order to do what he did, he had to jettison anything extraneous, to limit himself. He couldn't spend time bidding farewell to the many people that wished they could spend time with him. He told me he wanted to be there for the birth of his grandchildren. And he was. He wanted to finish this record. And no matter how much we celebrate the album and the people who came around to do it with him, making a record is real work. He had to retreat into his most personal, essential friendships. I have no problem saying that we were much closer a long time ago. And my admiration and affection for him has never diminished.

When I interviewed him last year, he had no problem revisiting his excesses and alcoholism of the late 1970s and early 1980s, what he called "cowboy days." But as wild as he had been, I never got the sense, from him or his music, that he was truly self-destructive. Were there times, back then, when you thought he wouldn't make it even to middle age?

He did seem self-destructive. He did harm to his career early on, by living that legendary wild-man life. It made him unable to play or sing as well as he could. There were times when he was the only one out of a whole group of people who was just crazed. If that's not self-destructive, I don't know what is. But he recovered.

Did he buy into the myth -- the hard-boiled poet-saboteur -- that he was writing about in songs like "Excitable Boy" and "Lawyers, Guns and Money?"