Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2008 Presidential Primary

I searched, but did not find a thread such as this. I am starting this in hopes it does not turn into a slug fest. Let's keep it civil please!

I have not been interested in Presidential elections since Ross Perot ran and yes I was an avid supporter. I remember him saying during the debates when they were talking about NAFTA him saying if they passed that, you would hear a giant sucking sound and that would be jobs leaving the country. Well, guess what happened. After that, we had Bush, then Clinton, then Bush, boy how long has it been since we have had a president to be excited about.

I have been quietly watching Barack Obama for some time now and he has addressed some issues how I wanted to hear them addressed. With politicians, all we can do is to take them at their word and try to find one that seems honest to at least try to do what they say. I have gotten the e-mails about him and how he says and does different things and have researched and found them to be false. I am not stumping for anyone, merely giving referrence to what sites I have looked at. So here it is:

http://www.barackobama.com/index.php

So, if you have a presidential candidate that you favor, please give referring sites, and I know between politics and religion, everyone has their staunch opinions, hey, this is America, but please keep it civil!
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I'm wondering how many people think that once Bush is gone all the problems would vanish with him.

Ermmm, off-topic.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

07.12.08 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hillary Clinton is a piece of crap!

That's about as civil as I would like to begin the thread. Thank you.
    Respects.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Thanks for the insight

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I've enjoyed reading the back and forth in these two threads. It would be nice if they were all under one roof.

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/chuc...es-t41075.html
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/ron-paul-t41955.html

Oh, and I voted early, last week. Now I can sit back and watch as Florida's votes are thrown out by the Democrats because the election was held early.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/05/09/St..._may_not.shtml
    http://www.sptimes.com/2008/01/19/Co...tes_may_.shtml
    Last edited by chefcraig; 01.29.08 at 05:25 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

07.12.08 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness View Post
    Thanks for the insight
    You're welcome. It wasn't easy staying on-topic.
    Last edited by Kevy5150; 01.29.08 at 05:26 PM.
    Respects.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:35 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Oh, and I voted early, last week. Now I can sit back and watch as Florida's votes are thrown out by the Democrats because the election was held early.
    I don't understand how they can do that - what's the whole point of the primaries then?

Maybe the primaries should be held on the same day in every state - that way no one is influenced by the results from earlier primaries. Although I kinda like the "last candidate standing" aspect of the current setup.

Got a call from a Ron Paul broad yesterday asking me if I knew who I was voting for - I didn't and still don't. Just hard to get excited about it anymore - bunch of business as usual old men (and women) telling us what we want to hear and then doing what they want to do. Heard an ad for McCain on the radio today and sounds like he believes in a lot of things I believe in, but again, how do you know who you can trust any more?

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    I don't understand how they can do that - what's the whole point of the primaries then?
    Supposedly, this is the deal and explains why no Democrats campaigned in Florida, as the state is being punished by the Democratic party for moving it's primary:

"No delegates would be awarded based upon the results and instead party activists and insiders would decide on some later date how to divvy up the state's more than 200 delegates to the Democratic national convention."

Look, I'm not a complete imbecile, yet I don't get it at all. With voter apathy at an all time high, you'd think the Democrats would be reaching out to voters, instead of snubbing them.

I really need to get out of this state. Shit like this fails to even phase me anymore.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

Oh, Christ...more good news...

Clinton wins primary but no delegates

By MIKE GLOVER, Associated Press Writer1 hour, 12 minutes ago

Hillary Rodham Clinton won the Florida Democratic primary Tuesday night, an event that drew no campaigning by any of her presidential rivals and awarded no delegates to the winner.

(For the Republican side, McCain beat Romney.)

But Clinton promptly declared it a welcome victory.

The New York senator, fresh off her lopsided loss to Barack Obama in last weekend's South Carolina primary, arranged a rally in the state as the polls were closing, an evident attempt to gain campaign momentum.

She and Obama collide next week in a coast-to-coast competition for delegates across 22 states.

"I am convinced that with this resounding vote, with the millions of Americans who will vote next Tuesday, we will send a clear message that America is back and we will take charge of our destiny once again," she said to a boisterous crowd.

Last year, the national party stripped Florida of its delegates as punishment for moving its primary ahead of Feb. 5 and the candidates pledged to bypass the state. At stake Tuesday were 185 delegates.

Still, Clinton winked at that pledge, holding two closed fundraisers in recent days and scheduling a rally with supporters after the polls closed in Florida.

It is expected that the eventual nominee will try to seat delegates from Florida and Michigan, reversing the Democratic National Committee's punishment.

"I could not come here in person to ask you for your votes, but I am here to thank you for your votes today," she said. "This has been a record turnout because Floridians wanted their voices to be heard. I promise you I will do everything I can to make sure not only are Florida's Democratic delegates seated but Florida is in the winning column for the Democrats in 2008."

Michigan also violated party rules by moving its primary to Jan. 15, and party leaders voted to strip the state of its 156 delegates as punishment. Clinton has also made a plea for Michigan delegates to be seated at the convention

Democrats participated in Tuesday's primary, driven to vote in part by ballot initiatives on property tax relief and gambling in some counties.

Exit polls of Florida Democrats conducted for The Associated Press and the television networks showed that the economy was the most important issue facing the country. Half of Democrats called the economy poor, compared to only about one in seven Republican primary voters.

Both parties' electorates were older than in any other presidential contest this year. A third or more in each primary were at least 65 years old. In earlier Democratic contests no more than a quarter were senior citizens.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/clinton_florida
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Big Trouble
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:58 AM
    Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts

I wish Bloomberg was running

McCain took money from a known terrorist organization in 2000 (the KLA for years they were the #1 heroin distributors in Europe)...plus he's a war monger...he definitely was a war hero he's not anymore

Romney seems like plastic to me and in the debates when he gets challenged he stumbles like crazy he can't take the heat

Giuliani bad strategy

Paul...he's got some good ideas...he's got some bad ideas...i guess you could say at least he has some

Obama he talks a good talk...can a black man whose middle name is "Hussein" win a presidential election hard to say (i would take him over McCain and Hillary)

Clinton <squawk squawk squawk squawk> the United States would be a much better place with a woman president...but not her....soooo not her...plus Bill has already had his 8 years

Again I wish Bloomberg was running
    Kosovo Je Srbija

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

If I was forced to have sex with a presidential candidate, I'd choose Hillary Clinton.

Just barely.

Don't read this.

Last Online

"Yeah, he's dead, yet he's better than the alternatives..."

George Bernard Shaw

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I have to say, I've been keeping up on elections since '84--when I was 9. (Of course, Walter Mondale--the candidate from my home state--was absolutely crushed in that election.) But I've never seen one that was as wide open as this one. Super Tuesday will actually help decide the candidates!

With Florida today it looks like the Republicans do indeed now have a front-runner in John McCain. I think we'll know for sure who both candidates will be this time next Tuesday.

I'm all about Barak. I did a lot of back and forth in my head over many months to arrive to this conclusion. But it was actually a post from a fellow Linker--a European Linker--who helped tip the scale for me. He suggested many in the international community see Barak Obama as a president who could restore U.S. credibility around the world. For all the domestic issues we focus so heavily on, our standing internationally strikes me as something equally as important.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As much as I'm dismayed to see another Hillary win in Fla., I am conversely
    encouraged to see the wheels come off the Giulianni vehicle. Fuck that guy.
    Oh yeah, civility, civility. One has to admit it's been a healthy contest on both
    sides, and I'm hoping for an Obama surge come Super Tuesday.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Obama will be our next President. I'll vote for either him or McCain when the time comes. If I get a chance to vote in the primary, it'll be for Obama.

Clinton doesn't seem to grasp how divisive she is. If she was to win the Presidency, we'll have four years of absolutely nothing getting done. Lots of hate and finger-pointing. It matters not what her politics are--there are just so many people that hate her for whatever reason.