Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.22.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 53 Times in 26 Posts

Default *** Reviews *** Houston, TX *** What a Burger Ketchup *** Oil Rigs *** TLW Party**

Reviews of the Houston, TX Show
    REVIEWS only!!!! If you are so stupid that you post a non review you will be loaded into a catapult and thrown in the Gulf of Mexico. Your post will also be deleted.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

06.29.12 @ 01:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Amazing show!!!

Now THAT'S the Van Halen I've been waiting all my life to see! I've been to several Van Hagar shows, but they all pale in comparison to this one! Dave was his old self...swagger and glitz with his signature cartoon smile, Eddie playing like the guitar god he is, Alex was..well...Alex, and Wolfie did a phenomenal job on Bass and backing vocals.
    Eddie was interestingly possitioned right in front of Alex's drum riser...so it was kind of an unusual stage set up, but besides that...Van Halen is back!!!
    "Honey, arn't you gonna catch a cold dressed like that?" - Dave
    "We're not in the music business, we're in the business of making music." - Edward
    "I will never change because of a trend." - Yngwie J. Malmsteen
    "Yeah, I saw a yard gnome once...it didn't scare me." - Space Ghost

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.22.16 @ 11:58 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

Premium Member

I have to process the whole experience before posting a full review, but I will say that Eddie and Dave's ad-lib version of Crossroads was a welcome suprise.

I will say this:

Alex...as advertised.

Wolf...better every day.

Dave...is Dave. (but the sound guys NEED to be fired)

Edward...Spot on in every SONG...

BUT...the first time I've ever heard Van Halen not play live at 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 speed. They may have actually played at 3/4 speed from the LP's.

Sorry I can't offer more right now, but I'm trying to get my thoughts together.

I'll post as soon as I can.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

GIRL GONE BAD
    Last Online

04.27.08 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

These guys are Rock GODS! I saw em' saturday night in Dallas and they were awesome! But i have to say that this Houston show they were even better in my book! Man, Dave is singing fuckin good! He is the greatest showman! Eddie is and always will be the best fuckin guitar player always! Wolfie can play that bass! Alex is a fuckin rock! Everybody knows that all the shows are same set list. They all fuckin ROCK! When Dave was singing like a motherfucker during I'll Wait, some chick in the 5-star section threw her bra to Dave and he held it up and it looked like a silver and black pokadot bra and the place fuckin went wild! She was fuckin hot too!!!!! I like Daves story when he talks about his friend kenny used to drive a ice cream truck and every 2nd tuesday of the month he would call in sick and keep the truck and they would have a party and take all the ice cream out of the truck freezer and stock it up with beer! Fuckin sweet! Saw them in dallas saturday and they kicked ass but they were even better tonight in Houston! The crowd in Houston was really showing their appreciation more!!!!!!! Dave, Ed, Wolf, Alex! Thanks guys for 2 great shows! See you again soon fellas!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.18.16 @ 08:34 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts

Houston Chronicle review

http://blogs.chron.com/handstamp/archives/show_reviews/

Van Halen gives, feels the love in Houston

Van Halen has only its namesake rock-hero shredding through tunes on the band's current reunion tour. But Monday night inside the Toyota Center, Eddie Van Halen was joined by an arena full of air guitarists.

It was a nonstop exchange of adulation, energy and fist-pumping earnestness.

A trim, vibrant Eddie shared the love with brother Alex (drums); shy teenage son Wolfgang (bass); and an energized David Lee Roth, who presided over the evening like a merry, slightly manic ringmaster.

Guys in the crowd suddenly reverted back to adolescence. They snapped cell-phone photos, pounded on imaginary drums and sang along to everything from Beautiful Girls and Dance the Night Away to Jamie's Cryin'.

It was exhausting to watch, to listen to, to be in the midst of for more than two hours. But it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. The weak-kneed result is really a testament to the (mostly) veteran band's almost superhuman energy. The levels were cranked up to ten and never subsided.

The crowd was populated by middle-aged dudes in ball caps, button-downs and slacks, parents with curious kids and the requisite gaggle of breathless females. There were even a few vintage T-shirts and pairs of leather pants.

A sizable Van Halen blimp slowly circled the inside of the arena just before the band took the stage, flashing lasers at the crowd. The inanimate object drew more attention than living, breathing opening act Ky-Mani Marley, who mixed originals with covers of his legendary father's tunes. Harmless -- and completely forgettable.

Eddie and his guitar soon roared to life amid a flurry of smoke and spotlights. It gave way to a frenetic, bombastic You Really Got Me, the band's first single; followed by a frenetic, bombastic I'm the One.

Subtlety is not this band's bag.

The show was loud in every way, from Eddie's jaw-dropping, did-he-just-do-that guitar work to Roth's crotch-hugging pants. Earplugs barely helped, and Roth's early vocals were sometimes drowned out by the band.

But the crowd, who reached into the upper levels of the arena, didn't seem to mind. And the payoffs eventually came.

Somebody Get Me a Doctor morphed into a blistering blues duet between Roth and Eddie, and Unchained still had considerable glam sparkle.

During the thundering gallop of Everybody Wants Some, Eddie glided over to Wolfgang and planted a kiss on his cheek. It felt spontaneous and sweet.

Roth is still a showman, all karate chops and lip curls and vaudeville smiles. He sparkled through a succession of ornate jackets and unbuttoned his shirt to reveal a surprisingly taut, toned torso.

"First time I was here was almost 30 years ago," Roth told the crowd. "I got relatives who live here. I know all the suburbs around here. I know this place like the back of my hand."

He didn't engage in much more than pump-you-up stage banter, but spectacle has always been Roth's forté. He led the crowd through a forceful sing-along of Runnin' With the Devil and paraded around the expanse stage with a joyful, Jagger swagger during Mean Street, And the Cradle Will Rock and Hot for Teacher. (No classroom bikini babe, though.)

Vocally, however, Roth's limitations were frequently apparent. He tends to shout through songs when he's excited -- which is basically all the time. He sounded particularly strained during Pretty Woman and amid the laughably outdated synth strains of I'll Wait.

He was better during Ice Cream Man, which came with an overlong intro about teenage parties, a few acoustic guitar riffs and kicky tempo switches. The band blasted through solid versions of Panama and Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love before closing with (of course) Jump, its personal pop pinnacle.

Roth hoisted a huge, inflatable microphone above his head and paraded through blasts of confetti before joining his band of brothers for a final blow.

And even as they disappeared backstage, the smiles never left their faces.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

04.02.16 @ 07:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I think I'm finally awake enough to throw my $.02 worth into the ring. Remember that this review is coming from someone who is NOT a musician and was totally sober last night (I can't decide if that was a good or bad thing).

First of all, we were in section 105, row 4 (which means we were just up from the floor and were on Eddie's side---only about 25ft. from the stage and had no obstructions to our view). I can't imagine better seats.

I will agree with many of the reviews that something is NOT right with the sound. I couldn't really pinpoint what the problem was. It did seem to get better as the night went on, but it was almost like you were hearing each instrument and voice independently and it didn't sound like a unit. Does that make sense? I think Dave was really getting irritated. During the first approximately 9 songs, he kept going over to the sound guy (who was just to the right of us) and complaining about his mic and the sound. MY Eddie thought the sound issue might've been our seats and how we were positioned in relation to the speakers but seeing all the previous reviews, I think that was only part of the problem. Dave's vocals were GREAT but it was really difficult to hear the words.

First off, this is the first time I'd ever seen a Dave-fronted Van Halen. It was too cool hearing so many of the classics live that I'd never heard live before. This is what I was looking forward to.

I can't say enough about Wolfie!!! That young man has definitely got talent and his backing vocals were spot-on, in my opinion. No, he's not Michael Anthony but he's GOOD and is going to do big things, in my opinion. He was hitting the notes tha many of us only thought MA was capable of hitting. He did seem fairly loose with the crowd---not interacting a ton but smiling the whole time, playing to the crowd occasionally, and obviously having a GREAT time up there. It was really cool to see the special father-son connection first-hand.

Alex never disappoints. He's always the consummate professional...excellent at what he does and can always be counted on to deliver. Last night was no exception (he does seem like he's aged a LOT over the last few years).

Eddie is a completely different man than the last time I saw him (this is nothing new). He seems happy and looks so healthy. Seeing that smile on his face was worth the ticket price alone. I was speaking with Filthy after the show, however, and we agree that we believe he's really just doing this for Wolfie. That's his inspiration now and in our opinions, the only reason he's doing this anymore. He was spot-on during the songs. I enjoyed his solo MUCH more than in '04 but unfortunately, he lost it a little last night during the solo. Maybe it's just me, but I've heard friends of mine play Cathedral better.

OK, on to Dave. I had an uncomfortable revelation last night and it's this...I'm just not a Dave fan. Don't get me wrong...I love LISTENING to classic Van Halen. I just had a very difficult time getting past having to WATCH Dave last night. The cheesy, comical grin and flambuoyant attitude on stage that so many people find charming and so "Dave", I just find flat-out annoying. It wasn't until last night that I finally realized that I'm just not a fan of his. To me, all the fake smiles and the holding the arms up in the air just scream, "look at me, LOOK AT ME...I'M BACK". I just have a hard time stomaching that kind of ego. I know that's just him...doesn't mean I have to enjoy watching it, though. He SOUNDED great last night and I think his voice has improved BIG TIME since I saw him in '02. So, for fear of ruffling too many feathers and getting bashed on here, that's all I'm going to say about him.

The highlight songs for me last night were: Beautiful Girls, Mean Street, and Little Guitars!!! The lowlights was probably HFT. All in all, great show and I'm glad I went.
    Meet me in Cabo!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 07:53 PM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

Show was cool, but what pissed me off was when I got outside the show, my wife pulled out a shirt from her purse she puchased sometime during the show. It was the grey one, and its a 2007 shirt. It cost $40, and the dates are from the first set of dates from tour. When I got home and checked the vh store, they have the New 08 shirts for $35. and houston is on the back. 40 bucks for a "Leftover" shirt. All about the money

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

02.10.17 @ 01:20 PM
    Liked 190 Times in 77 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCKYAB View Post
    Show was cool, but what pissed me off was when I got outside the show, my wife pulled out a shirt from her purse she puchased sometime during the show. It was the grey one, and its a 2007 shirt. It cost $40, and the dates are from the first set of dates from tour. When I got home and checked the vh store, they have the New 08 shirts for $35. and houston is on the back. 40 bucks for a "Leftover" shirt. All about the money
    So did you burst your wife's bubble, or were you cool about it?
    Posted from yo' mama's house.

Favorite VH Album

VHI-VHII-WACF-FW-DD-1984-ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Now - HoneyBabySweetieDoll
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 10:05 PM
    Liked 273 Times in 76 Posts

Default Houston Show...

... and my $.03 for what its worth... never got to see VH in the heyday (figured, oh well, I missed the 1984 tour, but I'll catch them next year... oops)... not a Van Hagar fan and have seen Dave EEAS and with Sammy in 02... Overall, I really enjoyed the show last night... was very cool waiting to finally see this as the "Cloverfield-like" intro was playing and the crowd was getting pumped... then EVH started the evening off... from my perspective (Wolf side 1 level up) the sound was pretty good for the first 3/4 of the show and then just got a bit wierd... backing vocals got louder and just a bit loud overall, but not in a good way... still, was a cool show... regardless of what we have all been hearing about fighting, not getting along, etc... suspending that for the 2 1/2 hrs they were on stage, there seemed some genuine cool moments between EVH and DLR last night... once when the lights went down after a tune, Ed slapped hands with Dave and more than a few times you could see Dave looking in admiration at Ed... Ed also gave Dave a thumbs up after I'll Wait while Dave was way out on the stage-walk ... ALOT of playful interaction it seemed between Dave and "Wolfgang McLovin" as he called him... in regards to the conspiracy theories about Wolf playing, I have to say it seemed like he was definitely playing to me... I don't see why he wouldn't... granted, he has a very strange picking/strumming technique, but all the notes were being hit and alot of close ups on the video screen of his fretwork which obviously was him... also, there were a few times that Dave wanted a quick improv from Wolf - a riff or something, and Wolf did it and Dave said something like "that sounded cool!!!"... now unless the "person playing under the stage" has a camera on Daves jacket - NO WAY that could have happened... in regards to stage presence, I think Wolf is terrible... and DON'T say "oh he is only 16 yrs old" ... I have been singing/fronting bands professionally since I was 15 and there is no excuse for him not showing ALOT more life on stage... almost looks like he does not want to be there... he shouldn't look like the "oldest" on stage when it comes to energy... and believe me, I think it is easier playing to 20,000 people than 20 people in a small club (and I have played outdoor festivals in Europe so I know what I speak of) ... it is all there layed out for him and he should really turn it up a notch... just my opinion of course... but overall I thought he did a good job (backing vox with Ed were cool... definitely aided, but they were singing as well... you could tell by a few flubs by EVH... so I can live with that)... Alex was great... and I didn't leave for the solo and I really enjoyed it... he is a great drummer... EVH has lost a step on some of his technique, but other areas of his playing are still vintage... being a singer, I was very impressed with how Dave has really rejuvinated his voice from what it was a few years ago... he had quite a few well positioned "Classic DLR" screams in there and he used them well and they sounded great... my ONLY complaint (well, I could mention the 'Sailor Cap' but I can't even bring that back into my mind so I'll pass...) is that since his voice is a bit stronger, he is trying too hard to 'PUSH' everything in certain songs... almost like singing in the higher octave when there is no need to... he should realize that his voice is the song, and no extra pushing is needed... I felt he destroyed JUMP by singing like this (and didn't like the way he sang Little Guitars either... I'll Wait sounded good to me, but he also does it in this song, yet it kind of works) ... he should just stick to his blues-y smoky sound like he has on Little Dreamer and it would work... and if he is going to push like that it should be on Mean Street... sounded a bit wierd in the lower register... now there may be a reason he has to do this, so I don't know... but seems like he is pushing for no reason when he doesn't need to... but overall, he shows why he IS ONE OF THE GREATEST FRONTMEN EVER!!! all these "new bands" should bow down and learn from the LEGEND ... he definitely is the ringmaster and was a strong frontman last night...

So after waiting all these years from the first time I heard VHI I have to say I was completely satisfied watching VH 2008...

... and as the T-Shirt I wore (which got great reaction) states:
    "It Ain't Van Halen Without David Lee Roth"!!!

FALCO
    www.myspace.com/wickedmaraya
    www.myspace.com/audiophilefalco
    www.audiophilehouston.com

Eruption
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 09:14 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

Eruption
    Last Online

Eruption
    Last Online

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 07:53 PM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
    So did you burst your wife's bubble, or were you cool about it?
    Dude i was soo cool about it , cause she bought the tickets and the shirt for my birthday.
    Its actually a cool shirt, its just messed up cause they could have sent the 07 shirts to the VH store.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Limecuda View Post
    [IMG]

Those are some awesome shots 'Cuda. Really nice job. You were so close you could have reached out and shook hands. If you have more, please post them.

Crap! Sorry, review thread. Please erase. Sorry OLO.
    Last edited by loveevhsince79; 01.29.08 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Oops! Review thread!

Last Online

05.01.12 @ 10:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Notice the 08 on the drums...cool

I know...I know...old news..
    Yes