Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.27.17 @ 03:24 PM
    Liked 54 Times in 27 Posts

Default *** Dallas TX Reviews ***

Reviews of the Dallas TX show.
    Reviews only!! All non reviews will be deleted.

We will see who cant follow directions.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 07:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Absolutely great show! Took me back to the first time I saw them in 1980. Everyone played great. Roth got the crowd singing Happy Birthday to Eddie early in the show. Same set list - Don't knock it - it rocks. Eddie's solo was solid. Not a lot of improvising. Just the tasty licks you want to hear. Eddie thanked the crowd for the great birthday present at the end of his solo. Wolf was rock solid. Lots of nice fills I did not expect. The chemistry between Dave and Eddie was really great to see. This thing could last a while. Dave sounded better than I have ever heard him and was hilarious. Alex was great too. Nice solo. Gonna head to bed. Can't wait until 03/03/08. Cheers!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.28.12 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've see every tour starting with WACF....and this one just kicked ass! The new sound company performed awesome! I hate to admit it, but the volume was actually a bit low at the first song. Last tour blew my ears out.

They sounded great...Ed was playing in top form. The only song that was a bit off was Hot for Teacher...but still great. Dave was the best I have ever seen him......amazing for his age.

I was not sure I wanted to spend the money after the last tour, but this one was well worth it.

If you are on the fence....just go...it's a great show!

I do miss Mikey...but that's just the way it is...Wolf held his own.

I'm going to bed now!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.14.12 @ 08:14 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VHF View Post
    I've see every tour starting with WACF....and this one just kicked ass! The new sound company performed awesome! I hate to admit it, but the volume was actually a bit low at the first song. Last tour blew my ears out.

They sounded great...Ed was playing in top form. The only song that was a bit off was Hot for Teacher...but still great. Dave was the best I have ever seen him......amazing for his age.

I was not sure I wanted to spend the money after the last tour, but this one was well worth it.

If you are on the fence....just go...it's a great show!

I do miss Mikey...but that's just the way it is...Wolf held his own.

I'm going to bed now!
    Great show, one of the best besides the Balance tour IMO! I had a super time!!!

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

wow.. word of the night for me would be....tight

I was shocked how tight they were, dead on most every note, every break.

the sound was muddy up top where we were, got better as the night went, but lacked high end.

thats the ONLY bad thing I could say about the whole show.

and we got an extra aint no one else gonna get.
    We all got to sing happy birthday to Ed.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Eruption
    Last Online

01.26.17 @ 02:45 PM
    Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts

well I didnt think they could top Oklahoma City but guess what? THEY DID!! Same great setlist, during Eds solo, he didnt use the drumstick like in Oklahoma City, but thats ok, the show rocked! Dave even told Wolfie in front of the whole crowd, Wolfie, man you played great tonight!! Pretty cool of him to say that! And he was right!! Wolfie is getting better and looks more comfortable up there, Eddie was smiling the whole time as was Dave, Alex is a bad mo fo!! Lots of hugs between Dave and Eddie and lots of kicks from Dave, nothin bad to say about it, except like someone else here said, maybe it wasnt quite loud enough? I dont know, on a scale of 1 to 10, it gets a 15!! LOL, see you all March 3rd!!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.19.12 @ 07:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All I can say is.......this is a completely different band than the one that we saw in 2004! More energy, tighter instrumentals, better showmanship, etc. They played like they actually cared!

Man, the crowd was into it.

The band interacted with the audience very well, but wasted no time between songs. It just seemed to be one hit after another!

While I loved to hear all of the classic songs, the best part of the whole night was just seeing a happy Edward. He honestly looked like he was having fun and it reflected in his playing.

Wolfgang........the guy can play. He's officially arrived. Extremely solid, and they might not be doing him any justice. He's a nice surprise (even though Eddie told us so). I still miss Mike, but Wolfgang is here to stay.....and that's not a bad thing. He's bringing new life to the band and he's actually learning to play with the audience. It's taken him a little while, but he's getting there. The playing ability is already there. Is he really only 16? Geez!

Alex, ROCK SOLID. No need to say any more.

Dave......as a Sammy fan, I can honestly say that Dave is what this band needs at this time and for the future. I appreciate all versions of Van Halen (except the Cherone years, sorry), but Dave works the audience 10 times better. His voice was there, he had energy, looked ripped and never let up.

On a scale of 1-10, this was an 11.

* Contrary to previous show reviews, I actually thought "I'll Wait" sounded great and didn't slow down the pace of the show. Definitely seemed to fit well with the set list.

Other favorites: Pretty Woman, Romeo Delight, Unchained, I'm The One.

By the way, my ears are still ringing!
    "France has neither winter, nor summer, nor morals. France is miserable because it is filled with Frenchmen, and Frenchmen are miserable because they live in France." - Mark Twain

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.02.08 @ 07:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Absolutly killer and from my seat got to watch Valire all night also.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

02.17.17 @ 08:23 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

well, I could choose to write this in the AM more "soberer", and forget some key points, or write it now and risk looking like an idiot..ok.. I've been guilty of being an idiot before, so here goes...

Full disclosure:

My seats sucked.. I was behind the stage on Wolfie's side. I couldn't even see the big screen (which was very frustrating ).

Looking at the reviews above, I agree with almost everything. No changes to the setlist, Dave was on, Ed was great, and Wolfie was actually pretty surprising. Now would I have rather had Mikey there? Well, of course, but "it is what it is" at this point, and Wolf is solid.

Dave let everyone in HB to Ed during one of the first couple of songs (I think it was show your love, but I can't remember. It was during one of the solo breaks.)

There were a couple of solo breaks with Ed and Dave doing the "sing back" thing that was awesome and made me feel optimistic for some new music.

Cathedral sounded horrible. I don't think it was playing as much as effects/sound, but it sounded really bad. It really wasn't Ed's playing and didn't effect the rest of the solo.

random notes:

Valerie was just off stage for the first half of the show, along with a bald headed gentleman (presumably her significant other). Wolfie was talking to her and gave her a hug during Alex's solo.

Had Full visibility to Dave's "area" backstage. Not much out of the ordinary. He did have a girl dedicated to his wardrobe, etc...

Overall, it just rocked. I wasn't disappointed in any way. I'll say it.. If you're on the fence about this show, go, it's worth it.
    Last edited by Wickett; 01.26.08 at 10:37 PM.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Eruption
    Last Online

01.26.17 @ 02:45 PM
    Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts

review of the show, www.dallasnews.com ,sorry i dont have the exact link, just go there and click entertainment, then music, i think, you will find it, lol, a great review!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

02.17.17 @ 08:23 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

[QUOTE=VanRoth07;931516]review of the show, www.dallasnews.com ,sorry i dont have the exact link, just go there and click entertainment, then music, i think, you will find it, lol, a great review!![/QUOTe}

Roth and Van Halen reunite for brilliant AAC show

01:30 AM CST on Sunday, January 27, 2008

By THOR CHRISTENSEN / The Dallas Morning News
    tchristensen@dallasnews.com

In the 23 years after David Lee Roth left Van Halen, it was easy to forget what a dynamic duo he and Eddie Van Halen made: hard rock's most lovable loon, paired with one of its most spectacular guitarists.

That old magic quickly came rushing back Saturday night as the band's reunion tour stopped at the American Airlines Center. Mr. Roth – decked out in sequins and top-hat and looking like Tom Jones in Alice in Wonderland –grinned from ear to ear as he jujitsu-kicked his way across stage and twirled his mike stand like it was a giant baton.

Meanwhile, Mr. Van Halen let his fingers handle the showmanship. He's been through a lot over the years – throat cancer, hip replacement, alcoholism – but he still played with the exact same pyrotechnic swagger he had when he uncorked "Eruption" in '78.

Together, Mssrs. Roth and Van Halen ad-libbed the show's best moments. Four songs into the set, they rammed the Who's "Magic Bus" into "Romeo Delight" with brilliant results. Next, they jazzed up "Somebody Call Me a Doctor" with call-and-response blues (shades of Robert Plant and Jimmy Page) and jolted "Everybody Wants Some" with a bit where Mr. Roth imitated a car engine and Mr. Van Halen mimicked his imitation.

After bad-mouthing each other for decades, the two seemed truly happy to be back together. When Mr. Roth led a chorus of "Happy Birthday" to mark Mr. Van Halen's 53rd, the guitarist leaned over and gave the singer a kiss, a display of affection that never happened on the Police's recent reunion tour.

But as warm and nostalgic as the evening got, it wasn't without rough patches.

The big question mark going into the tour was Mr. Van Halen's 16-year-old son, Wolfgang, who replaced the recently fired bassist and backing singer Michael Anthony. On bass, young Wolfie was adequate, but as a vocalist, he failed to hit the high harmonies that are key to so many of the group's songs, from "Runnin' with the Devil" to "Panama."

Mr. Roth, 53, had vocal trouble of his own, straining for the high notes and missing them in a half-dozen songs like "Jamie's Cryin' " and "Dance the Night Away." Granted, he was never Pavarotti to begin with. But every little flaw in his voice was on display Saturday.

Still, it barely mattered. You come mainly to see David Lee Roth entertain, which he did with gusto whether he was salsa dancing through "Beautiful Girls," spinning yarns in "Ice Cream Man" or carrying a giant inflatable microphone (wink, wink) through a storm of confetti in the show-ending "Jump."

"Are you guys having half as much fun as we are up here?" he asked, prompting a roar from the capacity audience. A huge chunk of the crowd was 40 and up, but there was also plenty of fans who weren't even born when Van Halen II first blasted from every Pontiac Trans Am in America.

If you missed Saturday's show, the group returns to the AAC on March 3.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 02:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

I am glad I went to this show. I was on the fence and wasn't that excited about it...that was until the opening act ended and the VH blimp came out.

Like Mikey said above, I was amazed how tight they were! I was also amazed how good Eddie's rig sounded. When he'd hit the phaser for solos, it was almost like hearing the early album tone--fantastic. Eddie
    was on fire!

Also, EVH had his wrist wrapped and when he'd clap for the fans during his solo he winced. Don't know what happened, but it apparently didn't hurt his guitar playing.

This was my first rodeo with Roth at the helm. He was awesome. My wife even commented how he was happy to share the stage with EVH and everyone else and it wasn't "tonight's about me..." She was right.

My only qualm was sound issues. Dave & EVH seemed lost in the mix for about the first 6-7 songs--esp. EVH's solos. that's the only ding.

Random Highlights: The whole set list was awesome. Loved hearing Unchained, Beautiful Girls, Little Guitars... Dave & Eddie
    doing some impromptu jams. Alex did a fierce drum solo!

If there was any bad blood between anyone on stage, you could never tell it.

I will echo the poster above and say if you are undecided whether or not to go, DO it. Definitely worth checking out.
    Last edited by mk5; 01.27.08 at 08:02 AM.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Eruption
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 216 Times in 102 Posts

One of the best shows I've been to, period. I think they needed that break afer the first leg. Last night's show absolutely destroyed the 2004 tour. Hit after smash hit, they played every song perfectly.

And Wolfgang IS playing and playing damn good. He may not have much stage presence, but he has crazy skills. Go see the show and you will become a believer.

All of Eddie's tricks were on full display. Tremelo picking, tapping, whammy bar divebombs, volume swells, it was all there. And he was playing it with ease. I thought Cathedral sounded great. It might have been the location of your seats, Wickett.

I'm still exhausted and I only watched!

Bring on March 3rd!
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.28.12 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    One of the best shows I've been to, period. I think they needed that break afer the first leg. Last night's show absolutely destroyed the 2004 tour.
    I can't agree with this comment more.....hopefully someone posts some good Youtube clips. I think people will be surprised at how comfortable Wolfie looks and how well he's playing at this point of the tour. He went up on the ramp a few times and jumped up on the drum riser a couple of times....he's an amazing kid for 16 years old.

After seeing the interaction between Ed and Dave, as well as Dave acting like a band member and not a solo act with a backing band....I am hopeful we can get 3 things out of this tour:

1. A live DVD

2. A new CD next summer

3. A follow-up tour where Wolfie forms his own band and opens the show playing guitar, then VH plays an hour and a half with Sammy and Mikey, then Wolfie and Dave come out and they play another hour and a half set.

I'm not asking for much.

Last Online

02.05.15 @ 09:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not much to add to the previous reviews! they were amazing!
    The volume was a bit low though, and the mix wasn't always good.
    but then again, I was up really high on the left side of the stage..