Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OLP?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:12 AM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Default OLP?

Does anyone have any experience with the EBMM OLP guitars? I know they have film tops...how are the necks and pickups? The reason I ask is that as a lefty guitarist, I have some seriously limited choices outside of building my own from Warmoth or some other place, which will probably run me around $1000 or so when I'm done. The list price on the OLP is only $299 and they offer a lefty. I was thinking of maybe buying one of these and slapping a Floyd on it. Any ideas? I'm just a basement wanker and I don't play in a band or anything, so I don't need a professional quality instrument.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.28.12 @ 12:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have just ordered one in to my local music shop - should be here any day, and is one of the 2007 black ones with an original Floyd Rose. Costs $500 Australian. Will let you know via a reply once I get it how it is - I have an original EBMM and want this one as one I can muck around with and not worry too much about.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Thanks, I'll look forward to your thoughts on it.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

There's been numerous threads started here in the Guitar Room about OLPs. I owned one a few years ago and found it to be terrible. For the same amount of money there are some much better options--even for lefties.

See if PRS does the SE series as lefties. The Yamaha AES is an excellent guitar as well: http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/produc...RODUCT,00.html. Both are a little more than the OLP. But even a Yamaha Pacifica is going to have much better fret work than the OLP.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Ok thanks, I will look into those.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the EBMM OLP guitars? I know they have film tops...how are the necks and pickups? The reason I ask is that as a lefty guitarist, I have some seriously limited choices outside of building my own from Warmoth or some other place, which will probably run me around $1000 or so when I'm done. The list price on the OLP is only $299 and they offer a lefty. I was thinking of maybe buying one of these and slapping a Floyd on it. Any ideas? I'm just a basement wanker and I don't play in a band or anything, so I don't need a professional quality instrument.

If you're looking at a $299 OLP, chances are it's the new MM1F (Floyd) with a very thin maple veneer top. You can find the older MM1, which has the "photofilm" top for well under $200 if you search eBay.

I actually prefer the older ones without the recessed Floyd.
    You can always add a Floyd to these guitars and they will be top mounted (dive only) which is my preference.

Here's one I built recently from an older MM1 body, Frankenstraat neck, Wolfgang pickups, and an Original Floyd Rose w/ D-Tuna.
    These guitars do require some attention right out of the box, but if you're like me and like to tinker, they are an awesome value.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does the photo top just sand off, or is there something different you do
    before refinishing one ? I have one that plays really nice, but would love to
    paint it "frankie style".

Awesome paint job, BTW

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Indeed. I was noticing Dino's five neck bolt configuration.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Duplicate post, sorry.
    Last edited by Dino5150; 01.27.08 at 11:05 AM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Indeed. I was noticing Dino's five neck bolt configuration.
    Yeah ... alot of work went into this guitar, so when it came to putting that OLP neckplate back on, well ...

I initially just thought of replacing the plate with (4) ferruls ala Wolfgang, but then I thought it would be kinda cool to add a 5th ferrul to more resemble an EBMM bolt pattern. I think it came out pretty cool looking.

If you're interested, here's a thread that shows the build process.
    http://www.frankenstraat.com/forums/...pic.php?t=2611

Banned!
    Last Online

06.20.08 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dino, nice work my man....wow!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The OLPs came out when I was still working in music retail. They're not bad but Schecter makes a better, more consistent product in that same price point. I haven't played or seen the new ones with the floyd. My only frame of reference is the original with the photoflame. The frets were often poorly cut and would often snag my hand or the hands of others while we played them. That's the tell-tale sign of a poorlly finished product.

The pickups were really weak as well but as a lot of people have shown in various threads, they're great project guitars for anyone who likes to tinker but by no means do I think they are a piece of crap. They were pretty good for the money.

Schecter and the PRS "OLP" guitars are both better made guitars...and so are a lot of the "upper end" squiers for that matter.
    Last edited by broken9500; 01.27.08 at 02:38 PM.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    The OLPs came out when I was still working in music retail. They're not bad but Schecter makes a better, more consistent product in that same price point. I haven't played or seen the new ones with the floyd. My only frame of reference is the original with the photoflame. The frets were often poorly cut and would often snag my hand or the hands of others while we played them. That's the tell-tale sign of a poorlly finished product.

The pickups were really weak as well but as a lot of people have shown in various threads, they're great project guitars for anyone who likes to tinker but by no means do I think they are a piece of crap. They were pretty good for the money.

Schecter and the PRS "OLP" guitars are both better made guitars...and so are a lot of the "upper end" squiers for that matter.
    I bought my OLP to keep in my teaching studio, and the thing wouldn't stay consistent from one day to the next. It required a major weekly truss rod adjustment, and different notes would buzz on different days. At the point I sold it on eBay several of the frets had started to come up. I only owned it for five months (having bought it new), and despite a regular environment and regular care it turned into a bigger piece of shit over time.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I bought my OLP to keep in my teaching studio, and the thing wouldn't stay consistent from one day to the next. It required a major weekly truss rod adjustment, and different notes would buzz on different days. At the point I sold it on eBay several of the frets had started to come up. I only owned it for five months (having bought it new), and despite a regular environment and regular care it turned into a bigger piece of shit over time.
    I've owned several and never had a single problem.

I'm sure OLP doesn't have the same sort of quality control larger manufactures do, but even the big ones (*cough* Gibson *cough*) have their problems.

Again ... these guitar aren't perfect right out of the box.
    But if you know the basics of how to setup a guitar, you should be happy with your purchase.

Also keep in mind that the other guitars mentioned (Schecter, PRS, "upper end" Squiers) can't be had for under $200.

For the $200 price range, you'll most likely end up with a plywood body, crappy electronics, and a whole lot more problems than you would with an OLP.

JMO

Last Online

01.06.12 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Here's mine...

I've written about it before...but I really like it and it plays really well...but as pointed out by others, I probably have too much dough into it.

Here's the one I'm building on my own...traced the body, then tweaked it a bit. Going to have a Air Norton in the neck pickup, Tone Zone in the bridge, all black hardware, Floyd, pickup splitting like the HPs have...everything I don't have on the OLP. Going to use a OLP neck or similar custom made.
    Last edited by handyman; 01.28.08 at 07:56 AM.