Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

UV Protection for The Fat Kid

Soon I will embark on the slightly frightening mission of refinishing the flame maple top of one of my Wolfgangs. The Fat Kid, my fifth Wolfgang, was nicknamed so because the thing is damn ugly, but I "love it just the same."

I consider this guitar my lone rash Wolfgang purchase, as I was one of the nuts going through a panic in late-2004 thinking there would be no Wolfgangs available at decent prices once they went out of production. I bought it off eBay without seeing adequate pictures or asking important questions. It needed a fret level and a few hardware replacements--about $200 extra on top of the $1,285 I paid.

More than three years later I still don't like the top on this thing much, though I did rehabilitate the guitar to the point of being an excellent player. I want to sand off the clear coat, bleach the top, and attempt to dye it a darker purple that will possibly (hopefully) bring out more of the flame. If the flame isn't there, then the darker color will simply just be better looking than the pink-ish washed-out thing that's going on with it right now.

Here's the important question: Is there a way to UV protect the top once it is stained? I have wondered this since I started finishing guitar bodies about a year ago. The faded condition of most purple and black EVH EBMM guitars is why I bring it up.

Recommendations, thoughts, opinions, etc. are welcomed.

Thanks!

(My buddy Scott designed this logo! It's been made into a decal that will go on the guitar once it has been refinished.)

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think you're going to have any UV problems with that axe dude. The Wolf's are done with a Poly and the EBMM EVH's were done with Nitro - that's why alot of them fade. Now there's other axes that are nitro finished, and might be handrubbed as well, that don't have the fading problems - but alot of the EBMM's do fade - so there may be another external factor outside of these.

The flame looks nice enough to me in the picture, although I'm not a fan of purple. Just want it darker, go for it, hope it turns out good man.
    Last edited by TheMightyCopenHalenII; 01.26.08 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Jackass
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

03.14.12 @ 03:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Soon I will embark on the slightly frightening mission of refinishing the flame maple top of one of my Wolfgangs. The Fat Kid, my fifth Wolfgang, was nicknamed so because the thing is damn ugly, but I "love it just the same."

I consider this guitar my lone rash Wolfgang purchase, as I was one of the nuts going through a panic in late-2004 thinking there would be no Wolfgangs available at decent prices once they went out of production. I bought it off eBay without seeing adequate pictures or asking important questions. It needed a fret level and a few hardware replacements--about $200 extra on top of the $1,285 I paid.

More than three years later I still don't like the top on this thing much, though I did rehabilitate the guitar to the point of being an excellent player. I want to sand off the clear coat, bleach the top, and attempt to dye it a darker purple that will possibly (hopefully) bring out more of the flame. If the flame isn't there, then the darker color will simply just be better looking than the pink-ish washed-out thing that's going on with it right now.

Here's the important question: Is there a way to UV protect the top once it is stained? I have wondered this since I started finishing guitar bodies about a year ago. The faded condition of most purple and black EVH EBMM guitars is why I bring it up.

Recommendations, thoughts, opinions, etc. are welcomed.

Thanks!

(My buddy Scott designed this logo! It's been made into a decal that will go on the guitar once it has been refinished.)
    Send me a closer pick of the body I can't really see the detail of the wood very well. I can tell you if refinishing it will or will not bring it up to your exp.
    Best,
    Martin

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I would leave it alone, but the purple ones are the only ones I like, so don't listen to me
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII View Post
    I don't think you're going to have any UV problems with that axe dude. The Wolf's are done with a Poly and the EBMM EVH's were done with Nitro - that's why alot of them fade. Now there's other axes that are nitro finished, and might be handrubbed as well, that don't have the fading problems - but alot of the EBMM's do fade - so there may be another external factor outside of these.

The flame looks nice enough to me in the picture, although I'm not a fan of purple. Just want it darker, go for it, hope it turns out good man.
    The flame and color are awesome just under the strings--between the pickups. But that's the only really good part of the top. When I first got it and took off all the knobs to polish it, I noticed a nice little "ring" under the volume and tone knobs of the original color; the top had clearly faded, but it looked more like it had been left in the sun than say just a bad dye job.

Were the EBMMs really nitro? Are you sure? I'm fairly certain my Axis is poly, and EB just didn't adequately incorporate any kind of UV protection in with the dyes and/or clear coats on the EVH models.

My concern about fading is if I refinish the top. I will be doing it with a clear poly varnish, but will I need to use anything to UV protect it? If so, I wouldn't even know what to get.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    I would leave it alone, but the purple ones are the only ones I like, so don't listen to me
    I like the purple ones too, which is why I want this one to look... purple!

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

am I the only one that read the title of the thread and thought "Wolf doesn't need sunscreen."?

*cough*

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

The early ernie balls had nitro and they switched to poly that is why the latter of the bodies are not fading. It is also a dark color and absorbs more light too. The edges of that guitar are spotty in the pic. The flame has some lull spots in it. It would make a good sunburst hiding the outside of the guitar. I like that Fat kid thing!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scottfletcher View Post
    The early ernie balls had nitro and they switched to poly that is why the latter of the bodies are not fading. It is also a dark color and absorbs more light too. The edges of that guitar are spotty in the pic. The flame has some lull spots in it. It would make a good sunburst hiding the outside of the guitar. I like that Fat kid thing!
    Okay... Thanks, Scott. So the EARLY EBMM EVH guitars were nitro.

Am I right to assume that a poly finish, like the one I'll apply to The Fat Kid's re-dyed top, will help protect it from UV rays?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

I can get a definate answer from a paint guy I use. I am curious myself knowing he will be doing some of my stuff.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'm really suprised more people don't know. I honestly have no clue what constitutes proper UV protection and what kind of built in resistance poly or nitro clear finishes have (or don't have) already.

I was just browsing guitar bodies online and saw the Musikraft stuff as having the "same UV protected finishes Fender uses." I'm hoping the black quilt Warmoth I'm just finishing up now doesn't fade in a couple of years into that gross green/gray thing the EBMM EVH guitars did.

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's some general info I found. I figured it would be a lot easier to find more info on this, too. Here are some links that may (or may not) be of use:

http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediaw...JJJKxD7f3333h- If you continue to have trouble, you could consider using something like this after you've refinished.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47947 This is a forum where they actually get into a bit of a scrap, but there might be some info for you in here.

http://www.chemilac.com/products.htm#poly General info here

http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchi...cnamara2A.html General info here

Good luck Andrew.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 2,229 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

When I opened this thread, I was expecting to see Wolfgang holding some SPF 30 sunblock.

This place has turned me so cynical, there is no hope.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice Wolfgang ...
    Leave it alone.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lil'devil View Post
    am I the only one that read the title of the thread and thought "Wolf doesn't need sunscreen."?

*cough*
    Sort of. I thought it was a thread questioning why Wolfie wears shades so often.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox