Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Default Mitch Malloy getting press

ok.. not a big deal, but I was poking around looking at press for the Dallas show and found this. A bit suprised that they gave press to Mitch Malloy.

Party animals
    With David Lee Roth front and center, the 'new' Van Halen rocks like in the good old days
    By Preston Jones
    Star-Telegram staff writer

* Party animalsphoto

Whatever you do, don't call it a reunion.

California rockers Van Halen, touring with original singer David Lee Roth for the first time in 20 years and performing at Dallas' American Airlines Center on Saturday, didn't bring all of its founding members out on the road this time around -- bassist Michael Anthony, a staple through all of the numerous Van Halen personnel changes over the years, is absent, replaced by guitarist Eddie Van Halen's 16-year-old son, Wolfgang.

Roth clarified the distinction between "reunion" and "tour" at a Los Angeles news conference last summer.

"This is not a reunion," Roth said. "This is a new band. ... Usually when a band comes back like us, it's rockers with walkers and this is everything but. Meet us in the future, not the past."

(*edited due to space)

http://www.star-telegram.com/enterta...ry/430519.html

"It's very challenging music, and it also has really good hooks and grooves at the same time," says Randy Monroe, vocalist for Hot for Teacher, a California-based Van Halen tribute band. "I think it just appeals to people because it's good, happy, party rock. It's all about having fun, that's a big part of it."

Kickin' back with friends is great, but the die-hard fans (and the innumerable tribute bands, primarily covering the Roth and Sammy Hagar eras) dig on the astonishing technicality of the band's riffs and runs -- Eddie Van Halen, an accomplished pianist adept at dazzling fretwork, helped forge a new guitar sound that's still making its presence felt today.

"He took a guitar and made it do things that nobody else had ever thought of making it do," Monroe says. "He definitely [spawned] a whole new generation of guitar players. All other guitar players take a second seat to Eddie's innovation."

Brian Geller, who performs with Fan Halen, another California-based tribute band, and has seen the current tour, suggests that the quartet might seem a little less agile but that they're also wiser, welcoming new generations of fans to the fold.

"I think why they've held up [is that] they came in at the perfect time," Geller says. "You see them now and they're pretty much just standing behind the music. The show's completely different than what you would've seen 25 years ago, where it was completely about the party."

For some fans, it's simple: There's Van Halen (whichever version's on tour) and then there's everything else.

"They're one of the better rock bands that we grew up with back in the day," says Tony Michael, bassist for Dallas tribute band Diver Down. "It's hard to explain how they affect you, but they must affect you or we wouldn't be doing what we do."

Van Halen by the numbers

4 Number of lead singers (through 2007)

11 Total No. 1 singles (through 2007)

20 Years since Van Halen has toured with David Lee Roth

80 Million albums sold worldwide (through 2007)

2007 Year Van Halen was inducted into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Sources: vanhalen.com, Nielsen SoundScan, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Classic clips

Although Van Halen first formed in the mid-70s, it was one of a handful of bands that seized on the nascent art form of the music video (as well as MTV) and used it to their advantage. Scandalous, goofy and soaked in testosterone, these videos, all available on YouTube.com, are a time capsule of the '80s and a fitting summation of the band at its creative and commercial peak.

(Oh) Pretty Woman (1982): Easily one of the group's goofiest efforts (pretentious opening titles, lovely ladies being harassed by dwarfs), this raw cover of Roy Orbison's classic tries, a bit unsuccessfully, to visually fuse spaghetti Westerns, samurai epics, Tarzan serials and Napoleonic chamber drama.

Hot for Teacher (1984): A mini-movie that blends childhood angst with wolfish sleaze, this undeniable classic shrinks the band down to size, indulges in a little Animal House-esque "where are they now" montage and, of course, provides the quartet a chance to show off some stylin' pink tuxedos.

Jump(1984): Seeing as the song itself is the band's trademark, it's appropriate that this performance-heavy promo piece gets plenty of mileage from Roth's spandex-clad scissor kicks, his endless preening, Eddie Van Halen's smirking solo and Van Halen's penchant for schticky mugging.

Panama(1984): David Lee Roth on wires (along with Michael Anthony sporting a Jack Daniels-themed bass)! Alex Van Halen bashing the living daylights out of his drum kit! Roth being hauled out of a hotel in just a towel and handcuffs! Eddie Van Halen blowing smoke rings! The stitched-together clip plays out like a Van Halen highlight reel.

Right Now (1992): Plenty of disturbing facts and figures, along with some interesting factoids and "deep" observations ("Right now, a convenience store is open"), hit the screen during this sobering clip, which is probably the most high-minded video Van Halen ever produced.

A brief history of lead singers

Only four lead singers in 36 years isn't bad for a bajillion-selling rock band, particularly one that's as reportedly contentious as Van Halen. Famous friction between Eddie Van Halen and whoever's got the mic has led to a few changings of the guard (a band hiatus between 1999-2003 notwithstanding). Here's a quick look at the men who've stood front and center for Van Halen:

David Lee Roth

(1972-1985;

2006-present)

Considered by most hardcore Halen-heads to be the band's definitive frontman, "Diamond Dave" fearlessly embraced spandex pants, lusting after the ladies and imbuing even the most innocent lyric with a palpable grit tailor-made for partyin'.

In his own words: "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard BBQ, arrive-four-hours-early-to-the-gig-just-for-the-parking-lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Sammy Hagar

(1985-1996; 2003-2005)

The voice of Van Halen 2.0, Hagar enjoyed a successful solo career (I Can't Drive 55, Three Lock Box) before contributing to solid, if unremarkable mid-period Halen albums. As his solo work threatened to eclipse Van Halen, Hagar and the band parted ways, until a brief reconciliation in 2003.

In his own words: "I had a solo career before Van Halen. My fan base filtered through Van Halen with me and came right on out the other side with me."

Mitch Malloy

(1996)

If you looked at the name and said "Who?," you're probably not alone. Malloy filled in for the departed Hagar in 1996, even going so far as to record a handful of demos in rehearsals for what would become Van Halen III. He jammed on such staples as Panama and Jump, but these tracks have never been released publicly. Fans were largely unaware of Malloy's involvement, and the group elected to recruit Roth, who thought he was still a band member, for an appearance on the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards.

In his own words: "[Eddie Van Halen] walks in, stops and says, 'Well, you are an amazing singer, you look great and you are one of the nicest guys I have ever met. We just talked it over and, congratulations, you are in the band." I sit ... down at the mixing board and say out loud, 'I am in Van Halen, now what?' I think I giggled a little in disbelief. It was a very strange moment."

Gary Cherone

(1996-1999)

The third full-time vocalist to front Van Halen, Cherone's stint was brief and unmemorable. Formerly associated with Boston rockers Extreme (of More Than Words fame), Cherone's lone contribution to the canon was the 1998 flop Van Halen III, the band's 11th studio album and one generally glossed over by fans. After Cherone left, the band took a four-year break from touring and recording.

In his own words: "It was fun while it lasted, but it never seemed real to me. I could not believe I was in Van Halen."

Sources: classicvanhalen.com; brainyquote.com; melodicrock.com

-- Preston Jones
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Eruption
    Last Online

10.10.17 @ 07:26 PM
    Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts

I read that too, dont let Eddie read that, LOL

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:24 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

Good article. You never hear about Mitch Malloy.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

pretty surprising they mentioned him...the guy did his homework.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Or the name "Preston Jones" () is a pseudonym used by Malloy's relative, neighbor, his gardener or himself.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Or he is something that many writers of these reviews are not....a FAN!
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:24 AM
    Liked 18,148 Times in 8,966 Posts

Mitch Malloy didn't have a chance, he was talented AND a nice guy. You can't be both and be in Van Halen.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.10.12 @ 04:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My name is Jeremy, I live in Nashville. Been a lurker here for about 5 years. Couldn't pass up posting on this. Mitch lives in Nashville also, and I recently became friends with him. I went to his house a couple of weeks ago and he played me the jam sessions they did and gave me the whole story. They ran through 5 songs and recorded them to DAT. All in a little room together, him singing through an sm57. They sure do have that sound dialed in. The Hagar tunes he did actually made me like them more. WCTBL with no keyboards, just guitar. Maybe they should've pursued that. It rocked. (DTM)WLCD was great too and I don't even care for that song. The Dave songs(Panama and ATBL) sounded kind of awkward. He said Mike was laughing at him while he was trying to sing because he was having to pull off Dave-isms. They did one new song cowritten by Desmond Child called "Blood From A Stone". Real commercial song ala Can't Stop Loving You. It was one they ran by Dave while trying to pick the 2 for hits album. I definitely couldn't hear Dave singing that. Eddie told him he was nervous before they started. He said,"Your nervous? What about me? You're Eddie Van Halen!". Ed said," I don't do this all the time either!" Ed made the whole band wear beepers, so they were on call. He said all playbacks are at ear bleed volume, so there's no question that EVH has major hearing problems. They told him he was IN. When asked why he bailed, he said,"They went on MTV with Roth. There couldn't be a third singer. That guy would be crucified." I told him he was right. He also admitted he didn't like any of the III material. What I didn't know was that after Cherone, Ed called him again. Asked him what he was up to, Mitch said he was playing bass with someone and Ed said,"You didn't tell me you played bass!! We could have done this as a trio!!" To which I replied,"That guy really is out of his fucking tree, isn't he?" He said,"Yes. He has two sides. Humble, self conscious sweetheart, and raving lunatic." He didn't really say anything bad about him. Ed asked him what he should do, he said,"Get Dave back." Said Ed flipped out on him. Mitch wanted VH to be VH just like us. I respect the fuck out of that. I'm like,"Dude, you were IN Van Halen! What the hell did that feel like?" Wow.. I know someone that was in VH. After I left his house, I stopped by Borders and was reading Everybody Wants Some and his short tale was in it. I called him and told him he made the book. I think he still can't believe it happened either. I told him about this site, and that I'd love to share this, but wouldn't. He said,"No.. tell them. Get my name back out there.."

Mitch actually was in an unspoken way, up for the Journey gig before Steve Augeri. Label and MGMT kept him from doing it. That guy's like Terry Reid. He's one of the nicest dudes I've ever met. He just had a baby last week too. Musically, he said he's gonna make a straight up 80s rock record now, hopefully I'll get to play on. He's been producing and mixing some project in his home studio currently.

On Fire
    Last Online

04.26.09 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's a sweet post! Thanks for taking the time to write that up. I appreciate that insight. I'd personally be very interested in an 80's rock album like that so I say keep us informed.

Welcome!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I still remember workin in radio and we were playing Mitch's "nobody wins in this war"...another tune as well. Sounds like he's a pretty smart guy.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

That really is quite the interesting read. I think Mitch was right not to take the gig after it appeared Dave was back. I wonder if the fans would have been more open to Gary or Mitch if Dave wasn't trotted out there a couple of years before.

We all know that Edward thought about giving Mikey the boot in the 80's.
    I guess the idea of doing a trio with Mike never crossed his mind.But doing it with Mitch on bass appealed to him.

Not hating on Edward or Mitch, but that's a bummer.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 195 Times in 117 Posts

Cool post Potted Pickup. Thanks for the insight.
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Mitch Malloy didn't have a chance, he was talented AND a nice guy. You can't be both and be in Van Halen.
    Classic SIG Material here!
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.21.16 @ 05:48 PM
    Liked 45 Times in 24 Posts

Interesting
    1984 Detroit, MI
    1986 Detroit, MI
    1988 Pontiac, MI
    1991 Clarkston, MI
    1993 Clarkston, MI
    1993 Auburn Hill, MI
    1995 Auburn Hills, MI
    1995 Auburn Hills, MI
    1998 Rosemont, IL
    1998 Grand Rapids, MI
    2004 Detroit, MI
    2007 Detroit, MI
    2008 Grand Rapids, MI
    2015 Clarkston, MI
    "It's called two burritos and a root beer float" Eddie Van Halen-2009 Two and Half Men

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Potted Pickup View Post
    My name is Jeremy, I live in Nashville. Been a lurker here for about 5 years. Couldn't pass up posting on this. Mitch lives in Nashville also, and I recently became friends with him. I went to his house a couple of weeks ago and he played me the jam sessions they did and gave me the whole story. They ran through 5 songs and recorded them to DAT. All in a little room together, him singing through an sm57. They sure do have that sound dialed in. The Hagar tunes he did actually made me like them more. WCTBL with no keyboards, just guitar. Maybe they should've pursued that. It rocked. (DTM)WLCD was great too and I don't even care for that song. The Dave songs(Panama and ATBL) sounded kind of awkward. He said Mike was laughing at him while he was trying to sing because he was having to pull off Dave-isms. They did one new song cowritten by Desmond Child called "Blood From A Stone". Real commercial song ala Can't Stop Loving You. It was one they ran by Dave while trying to pick the 2 for hits album. I definitely couldn't hear Dave singing that. Eddie told him he was nervous before they started. He said,"Your nervous? What about me? You're Eddie Van Halen!". Ed said," I don't do this all the time either!" Ed made the whole band wear beepers, so they were on call. He said all playbacks are at ear bleed volume, so there's no question that EVH has major hearing problems. They told him he was IN. When asked why he bailed, he said,"They went on MTV with Roth. There couldn't be a third singer. That guy would be crucified." I told him he was right. He also admitted he didn't like any of the III material. What I didn't know was that after Cherone, Ed called him again. Asked him what he was up to, Mitch said he was playing bass with someone and Ed said,"You didn't tell me you played bass!! We could have done this as a trio!!" To which I replied,"That guy really is out of his fucking tree, isn't he?" He said,"Yes. He has two sides. Humble, self conscious sweetheart, and raving lunatic." He didn't really say anything bad about him. Ed asked him what he should do, he said,"Get Dave back." Said Ed flipped out on him. Mitch wanted VH to be VH just like us. I respect the fuck out of that. I'm like,"Dude, you were IN Van Halen! What the hell did that feel like?" Wow.. I know someone that was in VH. After I left his house, I stopped by Borders and was reading Everybody Wants Some and his short tale was in it. I called him and told him he made the book. I think he still can't believe it happened either. I told him about this site, and that I'd love to share this, but wouldn't. He said,"No.. tell them. Get my name back out there.."

Mitch actually was in an unspoken way, up for the Journey gig before Steve Augeri. Label and MGMT kept him from doing it. That guy's like Terry Reid. He's one of the nicest dudes I've ever met. He just had a baby last week too. Musically, he said he's gonna make a straight up 80s rock record now, hopefully I'll get to play on. He's been producing and mixing some project in his home studio currently.
    I recall EVH saying of Mitch (before details of his invitation came out) that there was "another guy," but he was an "unknown." That was about all that was said during the "sell Gary" phase.

When I friended Mitch on MySpace he actually wrote a quick post back to my site. Seems like he probably is indeed the nice dude everyone says he is...

Maybe it was a hard decision, maybe it wasn't; but he was extremely wise to back out of VH in '96. His fate probably would have been the same as Gary's. It was a no-win situation, and this way Mitch doesn't have to carry that scar on his resume.