Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default I bought a 5150 II

I can't wait for it to arrive. I bought it off Ebay so I hope I don't get screwed. Anyways, I am trying to think of a cab. I am torn between the Marshall 1960 cabs and the 5150 cabs. I am trying to coax a nice brown sound out of it. I got the 6505+ at guitar center to sound all right but I was wondering if a Marshall cab would help at all. While I know the factory tubes aren't that great, and that it is biased cold, I was thinking the celestions might sound a little better in the Marshall cab.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Congrats on the amp. I think you'll be happy with it. I've got a 5150 that I really love. I play it into a Crate Blue Vodoo cab with Eminence speakers and I'm happy with the sound. I haven't played a Marshall cab but I imagine they would sound real good. Make sure you slap an EQ into the loop as the 5150's take pedals and EQ really well. My setup is pretty simple. I've got an EQ and a TC Electronics G sharp for reverb and delay only, with an MXR Phase 90 in front. I've had my eye on a 5150 II also because of the seperate eq on each channel you can dial in each channel. The one complaint I have about my 5150 is that when I get the lead channel sounding good, because of the shared EQ, the rhythm channel doesn't sound right as they are voiced differently. Enjoy it though, it can sound killer once you have it dialed in the way you want it.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I play my original 5150 a lot less since I bought a 5150 II now two years ago. All of the minor complaints I had about the original head were things that were improved on the II--seperate EQs, cleaner clean channel, etc.

I have both 5150 cabs and Marshall JCM 900 cabs. The 5150s are more "precise" in the lows and slightly more scooped in the mids. The Marshalls have more low-mids which makes for a more "classic" warm tone, but it also muds things up a bit.

The 5150 cab is a safe bet (and probably a little cheaper than the Marshall).

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I play my original 5150 a lot less since I bought a 5150 II now two years ago. All of the minor complaints I had about the original head were things that were improved on the II--seperate EQs, cleaner clean channel, etc.

I have both 5150 cabs and Marshall JCM 900 cabs. The 5150s are more "precise" in the lows and slightly more scooped in the mids. The Marshalls have more low-mids which makes for a more "classic" warm tone, but it also muds things up a bit.

The 5150 cab is a safe bet (and probably a little cheaper than the Marshall).
    Sounds like I may have to just get the 5150 cab. I was so angry. There was a 5150 II and cab on ebay but I got outbid at the last second. Damnit all.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iplayguitaralot View Post
    Sounds like I may have to just get the 5150 cab. I was so angry. There was a 5150 II and cab on ebay but I got outbid at the last second. Damnit all.
    That's eBay, dude. The snipers will always be there. The secret is patience and not getting too hung up on one auction. (That's how you end up paying way too much for something.) 5150 cabs pop up regularly, so just do frequent searches, decide what you want to pay, and bid accordingly.

Most of my biggest "gear scores" on eBay came when I just put in my maximum bid within the final 24 hours and later came home to find out I'd won. I ended up getting my mint condition 5150 straight cab for about $300 shipped that way.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's eBay, dude. The snipers will always be there. The secret is patience and not getting too hung up on one auction. (That's how you end up paying way too much for something.) 5150 cabs pop up regularly, so just do frequent searches, decide what you want to pay, and bid accordingly.

Most of my biggest "gear scores" on eBay came when I just put in my maximum bid within the final 24 hours and later came home to find out I'd won. I ended up getting my mint condition 5150 straight cab for about $300 shipped that way.
    Yeah it was defenently my fault, I didn't put my max bid high enough.

Anyways, I will be searching ebay, craigslist, and some other places to hopefully score one. Thanks for the help!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I don't know if it's being specific enough to just say "Marshall cabs". I mean, there was a whole decade and a half there where people were playing super high-wattage speakers, like Zakk, Eddie on stage, etc. The 1960 cabs have 75 watt speakers, right? Might have too much "bite".

I'd consider lower wattage speakers, like greenbacks, or vintage 30s, or even 20 watters if you can find them. I believe those are what are in Eddie's new cabinets, but I could be wrong. I don't think they're Greenbacks, I think they're basically 20 watt Celestions. Again, I could be full of it.

That wasn't your question, though. Your question was what to try with a 5150 II. The 5150 cabs offer a certain sound that is useful, as do vintage speakers.

I wouldn't personally buy or use high-wattage Marshall cabs. If I were to do the high-wattage speaker thing, I'd go 5150. If were to go lower-wattage, I'd go Marshall (or anything with Celestions).
    Last edited by Majestic; 01.26.08 at 07:56 PM.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    I don't know if it's being specific enough to just say "Marshall cabs". I mean, there was a whole decade and a half there where people were playing super high-wattage speakers, like Zakk, Eddie on stage, etc. The 1960 cabs have 75 watt speakers, right? Might have too much "bite".

I'd consider lower wattage speakers, like greenbacks, or vintage 30s, or even 20 watters if you can find them. I believe those are what are in Eddie's new cabinets, but I could be wrong. I don't think they're Greenbacks, I think they're basically 20 watt Celestions. Again, I could be full of it.

That wasn't your question, though. Your question was what to try with a 5150 II. The 5150 cabs offer a certain sound that is useful, as do vintage speakers.

I wouldn't personally buy or use high-wattage Marshall cabs. If I were to do the high-wattage speaker thing, I'd go 5150. If were to go lower-wattage, I'd go Marshall (or anything with Celestions).
    I believe the signature EVH Celestions in the new 5150 III cabs are 25 watts each. (They are of course connected to the EVH signature jack using EVH signature wire all encased in EVH signature plywood.)

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I believe the signature EVH Celestions in the new 5150 III cabs are 25 watts each. (They are of course connected to the EVH signature jack using EVH signature wire all encased in EVH signature plywood.)
    What about the signature tolex and front grill??

All kidding aside, I was referring to the 1960 cabs from Marshall with the 75 watt speakers.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I've been keeping an eye out for 5150 cabs on the 'Bay, ipga. Will PM you if that "awesome deal" pops up...

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been keeping an eye out for 5150 cabs on the 'Bay, ipga. Will PM you if that "awesome deal" pops up...
    Why thank you sir. I will also be doing that.

Btw, your wolfgang collection is amazing.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:06 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

I use a Marshall cab with 25-watt greenies in them with my 5150, sounds plenty nice for me, not too much over saturation.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH1 and Balance
    Favorite VH Song

All the one's with Ed on!
    Last Online

10.07.13 @ 11:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd have to say, shoot for the 5150 cab. A lot of Ed's sound/research comes as part of a team with the amp and cab, so imo it's all part of the package.

A lot of people have already mentioned marshall and a range of other speakers, but to me that's personalising the amp to suit your tastes, which is a good thing... but does sorta distract from the reason for buying a signature amp in a way? (just my opinion)

From what I've read the wood quality and construction of the 5150 seems pretty high quality, cabinet woods can also ad a lot to the sound not just the speakers, a lot of the 90's marshall cabs were made from poor quality compressed wood, hence the reason for the high priced early cabs of a quality wood construction, although I think the company have made a uturn to the old methods of construction nowadays.

So I'd have to say the full 5150 head and cab at full tilt is pretty hard to beat, the down side is, Ed didn't design it to be played in a bedroom... so perhaps one of those 'iso-booth' cabs might be a good idea to capture the sound of the beast!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by decatone View Post
    I'd have to say, shoot for the 5150 cab. A lot of Ed's sound/research comes as part of a team with the amp and cab, so imo it's all part of the package.

A lot of people have already mentioned marshall and a range of other speakers, but to me that's personalising the amp to suit your tastes, which is a good thing... but does sorta distract from the reason for buying a signature amp in a way? (just my opinion)

From what I've read the wood quality and construction of the 5150 seems pretty high quality, cabinet woods can also ad a lot to the sound not just the speakers, a lot of the 90's marshall cabs were made from poor quality compressed wood, hence the reason for the high priced early cabs of a quality wood construction, although I think the company have made a uturn to the old methods of construction nowadays.

So I'd have to say the full 5150 head and cab at full tilt is pretty hard to beat, the down side is, Ed didn't design it to be played in a bedroom... so perhaps one of those 'iso-booth' cabs might be a good idea to capture the sound of the beast!
    Oh don't worry about low volume playing. I have a score to settle with a neighbor that likes to blast his bass until 3 AM

In all seriousness, this will be a gigged amp for outside playing and practicing with a band. I am probably going to go for the 5150 cabs because I do like how they sound and they are pretty affordable.

Thanks for all the help guys! I love the guitar room.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iplayguitaralot View Post
    I love the guitar room.
    The best thing about this site!