Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Default Duct Tape Armed Dimwit Attempts 737 Air Hijack To Crash Into Hanna Montana Concert

    This is hardly a laughing matter, as the FBI has charged the dope with felony terrorism...

    Teenager arrested in suicide hijacking plot

    (CNN) -- Authorities have charged a teenage boy who said he planned to hijack a commercial jetliner in an attempt to commit suicide, an FBI spokesman told CNN late Thursday.

    The 16-year-old was taken into custody by airport police without incident on Tuesday evening after flying from Los Angeles, California, to Nashville, Tennessee, on Southwest Airlines Flight 284. (I looked it up: Flight 284 is a 737 Twin-Jetliner, like the one pictured.)



    "His stated intent was to hijack the airplane and commit suicide," said George Bolds, an FBI spokesman in Memphis, Tennessee. "He did indicate he intended to die in Louisiana. It appears he had a ticket to Louisiana."

    Bolds said the boy indicated he had lived in Louisiana.

    The teen wanted to crash the plane into a Hannah Montana concert in Lafayette, Louisiana, two CNN television affiliates in Nashville, WSMV and WTVF, reported, citing unnamed sources. The concert is scheduled for Friday night at the Lafayette Cajundome.

    Bolds said he had no information on whether the concert may have been targeted as part of the plot.

    In the teen's possession were handcuffs, duct tape and a type of rope or yarn, according to the FBI. Authorities noted that those are not prohibited items. "His plan contemplated overpowering the flight crew," Bolds said.

    The teen is being held on unspecified state charges and could face federal charges as well, Bolds said. CNN affiliate WTVF reported the teen has been charged with felony terrorism and is being held at the Davidson County juvenile detention center.

    "It is my understanding that at no point in time during the course of the flight there was ever any safety concern," Southwest Airlines spokesman Chris Mainz said. Bolds also said nothing threatening occurred on the flight from California to Nashville.

    It was not immediately clear how police became aware of the teen's presence on the flight or his alleged suicide plans.

    "Hannah Montana" is a hit Disney Channel show -- which stars 15-year-old Miley Cyrus and her country singer dad, Billy Ray Cyrus -- about a teenage girl who is a typical high-schooler by day but has a secret pop-star alter ego by night.


    http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/25/flight.incident/
    Last edited by chefcraig; 01.25.08 at 03:10 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

  2. #2
    Eruption Yerfdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.17.01
    Age
    49
    Location
    Grain Valley, Missouri
    Posts
    1,318
    Last Online

    11.06.14 @ 05:13 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I wouldn't think thoughts of suicide would come into play until one was actually at the concert. That's some real forward-thinking there...

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    12.25.01
    Age
    53
    Location
    Carmel, Ca
    Posts
    7,954
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

    05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Uh....

    Hannah Montana?

    25 days into 2008 and this turd will be hard to beat as "Dickless Wonder Of The Year".
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai


    My Blog:

    http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

    http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    this is a very very odd story. That's pretty much all I have to say....but it's a great change of pace from the "man throws infant off bridge" bullshit we were getting for a while....still...very strange....hannah montana? jeez...

  5. #5
    On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.04.07
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    389
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

    07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    Uh....

    Hannah Montana?

    25 days into 2008 and this turd will be hard to beat as "Dickless Wonder Of The Year".
    Careful, I doubt we've seen it all this year... This type of shit hardly surprises me anymore. Just when you think people can't get any dumber...

  6. #6
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    11.21.03
    Posts
    3,080
    Last Online

    07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    How he got on the plane with that stuff isn't to surprising. As a frequent flyer, I have seen lots of stuff that makes you realize that the TSA, which is supposedly the last line of defense as Homeland Security sees it, are not trained or equipped to catch all the stuff they need to be catching. I see people getting hassled for liquids not being in plastic bags but I also know people who brought a whole bottle of tequilla on board.

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    I'm curious as to the exact manner in which this all unfolded: did he make a threat, was he subdued by an air marshall or the passengers, ect. I'm fairly certain that time will tell, as more information comes forward-yet bare in mind: this story took place on Tuesday evening, and only now are we catching wind of it. Why the delay, as the CNN byline is 11:24AM Friday morning?
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

  8. #8
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    11.21.03
    Posts
    3,080
    Last Online

    07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I'm curious as to the exact manner in which this all unfolded: did he make a threat, was he subdued by an air marshall or the passengers, ect. I'm fairly certain that time will tell, as more information comes forward-yet bare in mind: this story took place on Tuesday evening, and only now are we catching wind of it. Why the delay, as the CNN byline is 11:24AM Friday morning?
    I saw the story on CNN (TV) this morning before noon. I was in the other room when it was on so didn't catch all the particulars but I did hear that he got on board with all his stuff. I'd be curious if an air marshall was involved. That would give me some relief. I'm always trying to pick out the air marshalls when I fly. Of course I'll never know which is the point but to have tangible proof that they are around and doing their job would be assuring.

  9. #9
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    06.20.01
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    3,896
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

    Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

    03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I'm not understanding the plan. Do planes bound for Nashville even fly over Louisiana. How was the kid, for he is just a kid, going to know when they got to Louisiana, much less an arena in Lafayette, Louisiana. He had one pair of handcuffs, duct tape, and some yarn? What was he going to do, get into the cockpit unnoticed, duct tape the co-pilot and the navigator, then handcuff the pilot? I assume the kid didn't know how fly, so who was going to fly the plane?

    The scary part is I bet it all made sense, to this kid, on paper.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

  10. #10
    carpe damn diem billy007's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.19.00
    Age
    54
    Location
    On the wild card line...
    Posts
    28,663
    Favorite VH Song

    "Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Likes
    1,044
    Liked 1,342 Times in 920 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yesterdays View Post
    I'm not understanding the plan. Do planes bound for Nashville even fly over Louisiana. How was the kid, for he is just a kid, going to know when they got to Louisiana, much less an arena in Lafayette, Louisiana. He had one pair of handcuffs, duct tape, and some yarn? What was he going to do, get into the cockpit unnoticed, duct tape the co-pilot and the navigator, then handcuff the pilot? I assume the kid didn't know how fly, so who was going to fly the plane?

    The scary part is I bet it all made sense, to this kid, on paper.
    As for the flying over Louisiana, since he flew from L.A. to Nashville on Tuesday, and the concert is today (Friday), I'm guessing that the ticket he had from Nashville to "Louisiana" ("He did indicate he intended to die in Louisiana. It appears he had a ticket to Louisiana." - FBI spokesman George Bolds. How does one get a generic airline ticket to a state, George? What if they don't drop you off at the right airport?) was for today, though it's not stated in the story. That would be the only thing that would make sense, there, not that any other part of the story makes sense anyway!

  11. #11
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    As for the flying over Louisiana, since he flew from L.A. to Nashville on Tuesday, and the concert is today (Friday), I'm guessing that the ticket he had from Nashville to "Louisiana" ("He did indicate he intended to die in Louisiana. It appears he had a ticket to Louisiana." - FBI spokesman George Bolds. How does one get a generic airline ticket to a state, George? What if they don't drop you off at the right airport?) was for today, though it's not stated in the story. That would be the only thing that would make sense, there, not that any other part of the story makes sense anyway!
    (As if I was not quite confused enough before...). OK, so this kid watched yet another rerun of Stephen King's "The Langoliers" on the Sci/Fi channel and believed he could somehow "warp" time, IE: board on Tuesday, "land" Friday?

    To those of us on the ground (and thus experiencing "real time") would this not have led to mid-air refueling at some point?
    HOLY CRAP: why not take a later flight? It's like getting to work an hour too early...you wind up either reading old newspapers or punching in early.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    12.25.01
    Age
    53
    Location
    Carmel, Ca
    Posts
    7,954
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

    05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    (As if I was not quite confused enough before...). OK, so this kid watched yet another rerun of Stephen King's "The Langoliers" on the Sci/Fi channel and believed he could somehow "warp" time, IE: board on Tuesday, "land" Friday?

    To those of us on the ground (and thus experiencing "real time") would this not have led to mid-air refueling at some point?
    HOLY CRAP: why not take a later flight? It's like getting to work an hour too early...you wind up either reading old newspapers or punching in early.
    You are just applying too much logic here.

    1. Flying is hard if you've never done it before.

    2. Flying a passenger plane with two jet engines is even harder.

    3. assuming that somehow he got control of the plane he would have had to navigate it to his target. It's not like Manhattan, where you can follow a river until you see two tall buildings. Also, they don't paint lines on the state borders and Texas and Louisiana look a lot alike from the air.

    4. 1 16 yearold vs plane load of passengers. Even if he had a gun I would take those odds any day. 12 passengers overwhelmed 3 trained Al Qaeda hijackers on 9/11 so dickless would have been toast quick.

    I would have duct-taped him to the tail of the plane and taken it up to 35,000 feet and froze him to death. I hope the guy in the cell next to him is a big Hannah Montana fan and blasts her music 24/7, and by big I mean Warren Sapp big.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai


    My Blog:

    http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

    http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    29
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,323
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Likes
    295
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    You are just applying too much logic here.

    1. Flying is hard if you've never done it before.

    2. Flying a passenger plane with two jet engines is even harder.

    3. assuming that somehow he got control of the plane he would have had to navigate it to his target. It's not like Manhattan, where you can follow a river until you see two tall buildings. Also, they don't paint lines on the state borders and Texas and Louisiana look a lot alike from the air.

    4. 1 16 yearold vs plane load of passengers. Even if he had a gun I would take those odds any day. 12 passengers overwhelmed 3 trained Al Qaeda hijackers on 9/11 so dickless would have been toast quick.

    I would have duct-taped him to the tail of the plane and taken it up to 35,000 feet and froze him to death. I hope the guy in the cell next to him is a big Hannah Montana fan and blasts her music 24/7, and by big I mean Warren Sapp big.
    The kid won't be able to sit down for a week...are we talking about the same thing?
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk smithjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.12.00
    Location
    The US of A
    Posts
    16,463
    Favorite VH Album

    Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

    08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Likes
    130
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yerfdog View Post
    I wouldn't think thoughts of suicide would come into play until one was actually at the concert. That's some real forward-thinking there...


    My thoughts exactly. And where exactly were the parents in all this? How the heck did this kid get a ticket and on a plane with all that crap?

    I hope he gets the help he obviously needs. To think there was no other way than at a kiddie show????
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

    "A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One



  15. #15
    Baluchitherium mistere's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.31.02
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    5,364
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

    Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

    07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default You Just Got Yarned

    Stand back, everybody! He's got... Yarn!

    Aaaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    Last edited by mistere; 01.26.08 at 11:49 PM.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Hannah Montana is Kicking Van Halen's Ass
    By VanHalenRocks in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 151
    Last Post: 01.25.08, 11:20 AM
  2. Near Riot at Hanna Montana Concert Over Body Double!!
    By Bullwinkle in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01.11.08, 01:24 PM
  3. HiJack This
    By Bob_R in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03.28.05, 10:41 PM
  4. Got My Gas-Mask, Now For The Duct-Tape...
    By FH in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02.21.03, 08:56 AM
  5. The many uses of Duct Tape
    By xaminer in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11.11.02, 01:05 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •