Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Three Pigs Story Judged 'Offensive to Muslims'

A children’s story based on the tale of the Three Little Pigs was rejected for an award after judges became concerned that it would offend Muslims.

The animated virtual book for primary school children, The Three Little Cowboy Builders, was also criticised for its potential to offend builders.

The row centred on the Bett awards, which were supported by Becta, the Government’s technology agency for schools. The judges’ remarks, reported on the education technology website Merlin John Online, included: “Is it true that all builders are cowboys, builders get their work blown down, and builders are like pigs?

“The idea of taking a traditional tale and retelling a story is fine, but it should not alienate parts of the workforce. Judges would not recommend this product to the Muslim community in particular.”

Ann Curtis, whose company, Shoo Fly Publishing, produced the CD-Rom, said the criticisms were unjustified and could even “propagate a racist stance”. She said: “I felt disbelief, to be honest. As a small company, we have a strong ethical and moral grounding. We support the rights of all children in the world to have access to education.

“To be told that we cynically set out to alienate minority groups is a very narrow-minded view.” She said the group had had messages of support from the local community, including Muslims. The book had already won an award in a separate competition.

But the Bett award’s backers — Becta, the Besa trade association and Emap Education — said that the book was rejected for a range of reasons. In a joint statement, they said: “The reason The Three Little Cowboy Builders was not shortlisted was that it failed to reach the required standard across a number of criteria. The . . . issues highlighted were a small selection from a much broader range of comments.

“In particular, the product was not sufficiently convincing on curriculum and innovation grounds to be shortlisted.”

The statement said the competition aimed to “reward inclusive and accessible designs” and was judged by a panel of 70 people, including many teachers.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

06.16.12 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

NEW KIDS STORY .THREE LITTLE HAJEE'S . IN THE END THE GREAT AMERICAN SATAN , TORTURES AND SENDS THEM BACK TO ISLAM IN BODY BAGS..
    they hate if your the same , and they hate you if your different- evh

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

"its potential to offend builders"

yeah, I can see it now. There's gonna be a national strike because builders are gonna be offended because they were played by pigs in a kids book. You got to be kidding. As I've posted in the past I'm all for protecting minority groups, I'm against anything resembling hate speech. It's one thing to be offended about something that could be considered offensive. But enough already. What's next?

Yesterday I was watching the Backyardigans (with my infant son) and Pablo the penguin was playing an astronaut. How long before astronauts get offended? lol

What I'm failing to understand is how this offends Muslims - I give up.

Here's some info on the story ...

It is the latest in a string of bans slapped on seemingly innocuous children's stories and nursery rhymes.

In the past, Baa Baa Black Sheep has become Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep to satisfy race relations, the Seven Dwarfs have been axed from Snow White to avoid offending the vertically challenged and the ending of Humpty Dumpty has been censored for fear of upsetting sensitive children.
    Last edited by It's Mike; 01.24.08 at 10:12 AM.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

These eggshells that we have to walk on are getting bigger by the day...yes, both the white and brown eggshells.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

"Behold! The heathen's evil Tank of Doom is upon us...run for your very lives! "

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    "Behold! The heathen's evil Tank of Doom is upon us...run for your very lives! "

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We have become a nation of pussies. I would like to thank all the P.C. crowd for helping to destroy a once great nation.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    We have become a nation of pussies. I would like to thank all the P.C. crowd for helping to destroy a once great nation.
    the story is actually from the U.K.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    A children’s story based on the tale of the Three Little Pigs was rejected for an award after judges became concerned that it would offend Muslims.

The animated virtual book for primary school children, The Three Little Cowboy Builders, was also criticised for its potential to offend builders.

The row centred on the Bett awards, which were supported by Becta, the Government’s technology agency for schools. The judges’ remarks, reported on the education technology website Merlin John Online, included: “Is it true that all builders are cowboys, builders get their work blown down, and builders are like pigs?

“The idea of taking a traditional tale and retelling a story is fine, but it should not alienate parts of the workforce. Judges would not recommend this product to the Muslim community in particular.”

Ann Curtis, whose company, Shoo Fly Publishing, produced the CD-Rom, said the criticisms were unjustified and could even “propagate a racist stance”. She said: “I felt disbelief, to be honest. As a small company, we have a strong ethical and moral grounding. We support the rights of all children in the world to have access to education.

“To be told that we cynically set out to alienate minority groups is a very narrow-minded view.” She said the group had had messages of support from the local community, including Muslims. The book had already won an award in a separate competition.

But the Bett award’s backers — Becta, the Besa trade association and Emap Education — said that the book was rejected for a range of reasons. In a joint statement, they said: “The reason The Three Little Cowboy Builders was not shortlisted was that it failed to reach the required standard across a number of criteria. The . . . issues highlighted were a small selection from a much broader range of comments.

“In particular, the product was not sufficiently convincing on curriculum and innovation grounds to be shortlisted.”

The statement said the competition aimed to “reward inclusive and accessible designs” and was judged by a panel of 70 people, including many teachers.

Uuuuummmmmmmmmmm.......what?

John Wayne is spinning in his grave right about now.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i miss the days of Truly Tasteless Jokes book...the ones by Blanch Knott...those books would never fly these days...

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by it's me View Post
    OK: The U.K. have also become a nation of pussies.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    OK: The U.K. have also become a nation of pussies.
    don't leave us Canadians out.

Last Online

don't leave us Canadians out.
    I do not insult Canada, nor it's fine citizens.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 01.24.08 at 11:15 AM.
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me correct myself, we have become a planet of pussies. Thanks to the P.C. crowd for helping to destroy a once decent planet to live on!