Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Default STONE GODS!! A new beginning!

From the Ashes of The Darkness has risen a new band.. Stone Gods! A band I have supported, even prior to conception. I'll let the professionals introduce them to you... they're better with words than me.

A Review from the present ongoing UK tour.

Stone Gods/Serpico

Newcastle Carling Academy

Jan 20th 2008

Review & Photos - Al Hey & Steve Cummings

There are probably a lot of people out there who are unaware of who the Stone Gods are and so, to set the scene, let me tell you that the band is made up of three former members of The Darkness in the shape of Dan Hawkins, Richie Edwards and Ed Graham alongside new bassist Toby Macfarlane. The strange scenario surrounding this, the band's debut UK headline tour, is that they currently have no product out to tour behind, the only tangible evidence of the bands existence being three pieces of music posted on their website and MySpace page, two of which being only short samples. To make matters worse advertising in the media has been very low key and, given all of this there had to be question marks as to whether anyone would anybody actually turn up.

Well word of mouth and the internet are still a very powerful tool and, as a result, Newcastle's Carling Academy was pleasingly full before Stone Gods took to the stage and support band Serpico kicked off the evening's entertainment. A young band hailing from Edinburgh Serpico serve up a brand of what could be described as punk metal which delivered with enthusiasm ,every member putting in an energetic performance. At times however things sounded a little bit too frantic but that could be down to the obvious adrenalin rush of the live stage and the decision to try out some new songs. In saying that you had to give the band ten out ten for sheer work rate but, at the end of the set, the applause was more polite recognition than appreciation.

And so to the evening’s main event, the first live show in Newcastle by the Stone Gods. Even before the band took to the stage there was a tangible sense of expectation in the venue as those people who had made the effort to come along were very much taking a leap of faith in a band who at this point are an unknown quantity. Within the first few minutes of this show that all changed when the quartet opened up with “Burn The Witch”. Up until this tour only a clip of the song has been available on the bands website and, if you’ve already heard that and been impressed, wait until you hear the full version. Following up with “You Brought A Knife To A Gun Fight” within two songs Stone Gods had literally stormed the Academy and yet things were only just getting started.

It's obvious that these guys are pretty seasoned professionals and even with a new band, unknown songs and a small venue they know how to entertain. Indeed Richie Edwards already has the frontman role down to a fine art. Handing a fiver over to a member of the audience and asking for someone to go buy a Jack & Coke from the bar was a stroke of genius, as was wandering out onto the balcony and "borrowing" someone's camera to take shots from the stage. If nothing else it engenders a sense of bonding between band and audience and this bond only grew as the set progressed. As for the music well it's harder and heavier than anything The Darkness released. Living Dead for instance has a main guitar riff that Metallica would be proud of, mixed with the gusto of the main riff from Blue Oyster Cults “Godzilla”. That will possibly have many rock fans salivating at the mouth and to be honest until you hear this song words can’t really do it justice. The song even has a tempo change that would make Motorhead smile with approval. Elsewhere “Don’t Drink The Water” contained some gorgeous harmony guitar phrases reminiscent of The Allman Brothers whilst “Lazy Bones” is rock song writing of the highest order, a great mixture of acoustic and electric guitars allowing the band to build the song up to a dramatic conclusion and, judging by all the lighters in the air, everyone identified with the sentiment of this song.

Perhaps the highlight of the night was “Starting Something” which, arguably, should be the lead off single when the debut album is finally released. It has commercial worldwide smash written all over it, it's that good. The final song of the main set, “Defend Or Die”, which again featured more dual harmony guitar work brought to mind prime time Thin Lizzy, before morphing into basically a thrash metal workout. An encore was never in any doubt and the band returned to delivery “Magdalene Street” before the evening drew to a close with “Beero” - an anthem in every sense with a rhythm that throbbed and pulsed.

On this evidence, and based on the fact the audience reaction was as loud as anything I've heard in the Academy 2, the Stone Gods have a bright future ahead of them. Richie Edwards possesses a voice that, at times sounds like Bryan Adams or Steven Tyler and he proved to be a performer in every sense of the word, interacting with the crowd at every available opportunity and throwing his heart and soul into his vocals. The other, and perhaps most important, thing is that the Stone Gods appear to have the material that is going to surprise a lot of people. Following the implosion that was the end of The Darkness it would have been easy for these guys to sit back and lick their wounds. Instead what they've come up with potentially has far more appeal to the core rock crowd in the UK than just about anything their former outfit released. If they're given a fighting chance, and past associations are not held against them, then they may just surprise a whole lot of people.

So.. there you go... they are heavier than prior and wont be everyone's cup of tea... but if you like to have a good night, headbang till your neck drops off, and like leaving a gig with a dirty great grin on your face.. check them out.

An interview with Dan Hawkins and the full version of Burn the Witch http://files1.mailboxdrive.com/mp3s-...com/672414.mp3

An acoustic recording of Magdalene St

Our site... www.stonegods.org & www.myspace.com/stonegodstemplesite

Band siite.. www.stonegods.co.uk & www.myspace.com/thestonegods
    Last edited by stilleddiesangel; 01.24.08 at 03:53 AM.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

VH, Fair Warning, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:09 AM
    Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts

Sounds great, can't wait to hear the album! The heavier the better!
    Actually, I was waiting for you to open this thread, SEA! Glad you finally did it.

BTW, if anyone knows where to find bootlegs of this show (and also of the upcoming ones), please drop me a line. Would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by padraig5150; 01.24.08 at 05:55 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Donor

Heee... sorry mate, have been up to my eyes in it here. Done 3 of the gigs and got some good pics for the site. There is some stuff on youtube but the sound quality is pretty bad.

BTW.. since their manager is German I can see them heading your way before too long. Don't miss them, you'll have a blast!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Really? Didn't know their manager was German! I hope they'll do a full European tour as soon as the album is out. Maybe they'll play some festivals in the summer first, but I don't care as long as I get to see 'em!

Great site, btw!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Donor

Thanks.

Today we got a review of the EP and date of release. Have a look...

http://www.stonegods.org/press.htm

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

Thanks SEA, good info. I'm glad to hear that these guy's are carrying on.

Guitar Rock !

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Damn! 25 February? That's a month till the EP comes out! Can't wait that long!

I completely forgot to thank you for the links yesterday, SEA! I'm really digging "Burn The Witch", especially the ending of the song. If that song indicates how the whole album will sound like, then it's more than I could have asked for! Rock on, guys!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Donor

Another video from the studio.. !!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by stilleddiesangel View Post
    From the Ashes of The Darkness
    Never heard of 'em.
    Delusions of eloquence

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by tap1966 View Post
    Never heard of 'em.

Hi Tap.. hope you're good!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

04.05.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Donor

Thanks SEA. These guys sound really tight. I'll definitely be picking up the EP and the album. Got me something to jam to before our friday night softball games.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Tap.. hope you're good!
    I'm good as always Finally got round to listening to the Stone Gods stuff. Witch and Knife sound pretty good, the two non-album tracks didn't do much for me. But overall when you take Justin's love it or hate it voice away you're left with a competent, but fairly generic hard rock band. I'll definitely acquire the EP, but it's not going to have anywhere near the impact that TD had.
    Delusions of eloquence

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Donor

I can understand that some folk will prefer the dramatics of Justin. Thats ok. It was never the reason I got into the band in the first place so for me personally, this is the 'best' of what TD used to be. Great licks, awesome riffs and no catsuits. From Dan's perspective, I dont think he wants that 'flash in the pan' success. He;s looking to make good quality, fun, music and a build up that is steady and well grounded in a solid fanbase.

For those wishing to hear samples of the 4 tracks on the EP, baring in mind the other two 'b-sides' were used because they werent heavy enough for the album, didn't fit so to speak, go here..

www.myspace.com/thestonegods

to buy via the net..

www.amazon.com
    www.play.com
    www.hmv.co.uk

To download on 25th February..

http://www.7digital.com/artists/ston...urn-the-witch/

PS... our website has been updated with a whole load of reviews, photos and articles so have a look.

www.stonegods.org

Thanks!
    Last edited by stilleddiesangel; 02.10.08 at 08:45 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Donor

FYI.. Stone Gods are supporting Velvet Revolver next week for their Brixton (London) and Brighton gigs... should be a good night.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

FYI.. Stone Gods are supporting Velvet Revolver next week for their Brixton (London) and Brighton gigs... should be a good night.
    As long as you leave before VR.
    Delusions of eloquence