Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Default Apparently There's No Snow Day for Fairfax Va. Schools

Also, the school administrator's wife is insane.

A high school student called the administrator's house and got this reply on his voice mail:

Don't read this.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

So what? Who does the kid think he is, calling a person's private residence outside of hours to discuss a school related issue? The wife has every right in the world to be pissed, although she should not have responded in such a fashion.

Even more questionable is the notion that her phone call has now been placed in the loving and caring hands of those in the media and the internet. Who is responsible for that? Like I said she should have used better judgement, yet precisely who is exploiting the situation now, and what agenda is behind it?
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

she called them snotty nosed little brats...good for her!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    she called them snotty nosed little brats...good for her!
    Uhum, They are to be called Snotty Nosed Little YouTube'n, FaceBook', MySpace'n Brats!

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    So what? Who does the kid think he is, calling a person's private residence outside of hours to discuss a school related issue? The wife has every right in the world to be pissed, although she should not have responded in such a fashion.

Even more questionable is the notion that her phone call has now been placed in the loving and caring hands of those in the media and the internet. Who is responsible for that? Like I said she should have used better judgement, yet precisely who is exploiting the situation now, and what agenda is behind it?
    Well, I don't know. I just thought it was worth a laugh, so I posted it.

Now that I think about it, I suppose there is an "agenda" involved. But I would imagine, in the big picture, that the agenda is nothing more than the idea that people should not talk to each other that way. Most especially when adults are talking to children.

Let's assume that the kid left a really snotty message on their home answering machine at 6:30 in the morning, saying that they suck for making him go to school and lots of other bad things. That would be a childish thing to do. When children act childish, that's the time for adults to act like adults.

If she would have called the kid back and said, "What you did was dumb and immature. If you don't start acting like a mature person, then I'll have to get some people who are mature involved. Namely, your parents."
    Instead, she responded in just as childish a manner as the child. Therefore, sinking to below his level of mature behavior. An adult should know better.
    Perhaps the public ridicule will convince her of this. If it does, she will admit what she did was wrong and apologize without excuse. If it doesn't, she will sue. Let's watch and see.

Don't read this.

Last Online

Uh-huh...as I suspected, a tale in which yet another little shit with a sense of entitlement defends his perceived right of "free speech"... by opening a private residence and family up to harassment and ridicule.

Student triggers online storm

By Michael Alison Chandler

The Washington Post

January 24, 2008

WASHINGTON

Snow days, kids and school officials have always been a delicate mix.

But a phone call to a local public school administrator's home last week about a snow day — or lack of one — has taken on a life of its own. Through the ubiquity of Facebook and YouTube, the call has become a rallying cry for students' First Amendment rights, and it shows that the generation gap has become a technological chasm.

It started with Thursday's snowfall, estimated at 3 inches near Lake Braddock Secondary School in suburban Burke, Va. On his lunch break, Lake Braddock senior Devraj "Dave" Kori, 17, used a listed home phone number to call Dean Tistadt, chief operating officer for the Fairfax County system, to ask why he had not closed the schools. Kori left his name and phone number and got a message later in the day from Tistadt's wife.

"How dare you call us at home! If you have a problem with going to school, you do not call somebody's house and complain about it," Candy Tistadt's minute-long message began. At one point, she uttered the phrase "snotty-nosed little brats," and near the end, she said, "Get over it, kid, and go to school!"

Not so long ago, that might have been the end of it — a few choice words by an agitated administrator (or spouse). But with the frenetic pace of students' online networking, it's harder for grown-ups to have the last word. Kori's call and Tistadt's response sparked an online debate among area students about harassment and whether the response was warranted.

Kori took Tistadt's message, left on his cell phone, and posted an audio link on a Facebook page he had created after he got home from school called "Let them know what you think about schools not being cancelled." The Web page listed Dean Tistadt's work and home numbers. (Nice, eh? )

The Tistadts received dozens more calls that day and night, Dean Tistadt said. Most were hang-ups, but at one point, they were coming every five minutes — one at 4 a.m., he said. At the same time, his wife's response was spreading through cyberspace.

Within a day, hundreds had listened to her message, which was also posted on YouTube. A friend of Kori's sent it to a local television news station, and it was aired on the nightly news program. As of Tuesday, more than 9,000 people had clicked on the YouTube link. Hundreds of comments had been posted on the Facebook and YouTube pages, largely about what constitutes proper and polite requests for public information from students.

Kori, a member of the Lake Braddock debate team who said his grade-point average is 3.977, said his message was not intended to harass. He said that he tried unsuccessfully to contact Dean Tistadt at work and that he thought he had a basic right to petition a public official for more information about a decision that affected him and his classmates. He said he was exercising freedom of speech in posting a Facebook page. The differing interpretations of his actions probably stem from "a generation gap," he said.

"People in my generation view privacy differently. We are the cell phone generation. We are used to being reached at all times," he said. (Please... )

Kori explained his perspective in an e-mail Wednesday to Fairfax County schools spokesman Paul Regnier. Regnier said, also in an e-mail, that Kori's decision to place the phone call to the Tistadts' home was more likely the result of a "civility gap."

"It's really an issue of kids learning what is acceptable and not acceptable. Any call to a public servant's house is harassment," Regnier said.

Candy Tistadt did not return phone messages, but Dean Tistadt credited Kori for having the "courage of his convictions to stand up and be identified." He also credited him for causing the high volume of crank calls, not to mention considerable grief and embarrassment for his wife.

"This has been horrible for her," he said, adding that he and his wife both learned a hard lesson about the long reach of the Internet.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nat...59,print.story
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i disagree that any call to a public servants house is harrassment. That's a bit of a stretch.

I'd like to hear the call that the little shit made to the guy's house. If it was as simple as "hi this little shit and I was wondering if I could speak to you about the weather and school not be cancelled...you can reach me at your convenience at 888-little-shit" and the lady flew off the handle, well...the lady flew off the handle.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

"This has been horrible for her," he said, adding that he and his wife both learned a hard lesson about the long reach of the Internet.

Yeah, the internet did it. Mean old internet.
    When you leave a message on someone's answering machine, you should probably be aware that your voice is being recorded. It's not like the kid sneaked into her house and bugged her telephone.

In a way, I think it's good that people can record you when you act like a jerk in public and put it on youtube for the world to see. Of course I'm not in favor of hidden cameras or Big Brother, just the idea that it's good that you can have a chance to see yourself as others see you sometimes. Especially when you act like a jerk.

If I had a tape of myself yelling at my kids, or kicking the dog, or the time I pushed that old lady down the escalator, I'd probably be a lot less of a jerk than I am right now.

Don't read this.

Last Online

So naturally, anyone leaving a message on an answering machine should also make the mental leap that it can/will end up on the internet. And I suppose that if one does overlook this, then they of course should be rewarded for their error by phone calls all hours of the night offered by "the public", some of whom have nothing better to do with their time than to make crank calls (or as we witnessed this last weekend, contact message boards).

Yes, everyone who makes a mistake (and makes a second mistake in assuming it was done in private) should be "taught a lesson" in this manner. After all, there have been television shows on the air for the past decade dedicated to public humiliation. Now the contestants need not be bothered by those pesky "release forms" to submit to the action.

"If you would like this album, do nothing...it will be shipped to you automatically..."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

There's a clip of the story on CNN's web site and the dimwit anchor says "you think people would know better about leaving answering machine messages after what happened to David Hasselhoff."

Uh, I think he meant Alec Baldwin.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

The most important message here is not the one she left, but the one he left. If it was a polite message, detailing his concerns, she overreacted. If it was a nasty message, then her outrage is justified.

Do they still have his original message if he left one on their answering machine? If so, and it warranted her reaction, they should upload it to the internet and let the chips fall where they may.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

The teen who posted an angry voicemail on YouTube now wishes the story would go away.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tec...w.day.call.cnn
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    The teen who posted an angry voicemail on YouTube now wishes the story would go away.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tec...w.day.call.cnn
    Yep, because this generation is full of fucking pussies. First posting it openly, then after it gets out in the open to the media and the kid looks like an asswipe, he runs for cover and tries to say there are "other more important issues". Instead of just admitting he was wrong. That's pretty much how things work these days, and even I find it pathetic.

It's why I'm embarrassed to be a part of this generation and don't have much hope for the future of society...
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

I'm a principal and get stupid calls occassionally as well. The majority of the time I won't call back. I get so tired of the "well i'm a taxpayer" comments. I will meet with any civil acting parent throughout the day, but when i'm home it is MY time.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

WASHINGTON — A Virginia high school senior who created an online storm when he called a school official's home to complain that snow hadn't closed schools will serve a Saturday detention.

Devraj "Dave" Kori, 17, called the home of Fairfax County, Va., school administrator Dean Tistadt last week after about three inches of snow had fallen. He made the call from his cell phone on a lunch break at Lake Braddock Secondary School. Fairfax County schools prohibit cell phone use during the school day.

Kori left his name and number. The administrator's wife, Candy Tistadt, called Kori back and left a message of her own on his voicemail, protesting the call to her home. "Get over it, kid, and go to school!" she said.

Kori posted her taped message on a Facebook page. It also was posted on YouTube, creating major Internet buzz, intense news media coverage and debate about privacy.

The YouTube posting received 20,000 hits by Wednesday afternoon, when Kori said he asked a friend who had originally posted the message there to take it down. Kori told The Washington Post he regrets the trouble he caused the Tistadts.

"I'm sorry that this led to such embarrassment and harassment for them," he said.

Kori did not immediately respond to an e-mail from The Associated Press through his Facebook account.

Fairfax County schools spokesman Paul Regainer's office was not accepting phone messages late Friday.

There was no answer at two Virginia numbers listed for a Dean Tistadt.