Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 02:37 PM
    Liked 63 Times in 30 Posts

Default *****1.22.08 Oklahoma City, OK****

Reviews for OKLAHOMA CITY.

ONLY REVIEWS!!!!! All Non reviews will be deleted.

Send your complaints to Brett or Goo.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Wings...not rings! ROTH ERA!
    Favorite VH Song

Not a Roth song I DON'T like!
    Last Online

10.15.12 @ 07:54 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default OKLAHOMA CITY KICKED ASS!

H O L Y S M O K E!

4th time for me to see this tour....last show I saw was the Kansas City disaster and let me just start by saying...that was it!

By far the best show of the tour and top 3 VH shows of all time for me....

EVERYONE...crowd included was on top of their game. That was simply a magical night.

Dave was all over the place...Eddie....did it like it was his last night to ever play the guitar.

Wolfy...the boy is getting better.

Al? What else do you expect!

Few quick things...

Looked like Eddie got in a dog fight! Had his right hand in a bandage and his first finger had a nice cut on it....and he is sporting what looks like a new wedding ring....this was much thicker that the others that he wore....who knows...who freaking cares!

It was a flawless night and the band knew it. There was something in the air....first night of the 2nd leg could not have started any better.

Trust me when I say this....YOU MISSED THE SHOW OF ALL SHOWS on this tour tonight!

More later...gotta try to get some sleep....everyone else who was there you know what you saw....TELL 'EM ABOUT IT!
    Last edited by 5150Sooner; 01.22.08 at 09:13 PM.
    Imagine a world without Eddie Van Halen.

"From the moment David Lee Roth appeared at the top of a giant runway that snaked through the Oklahoma City Ford Center audience Tuesday night, he wore the one thing that told every Van Halen fan that everything was right with the world. It was a maniacal Cheshire cat smile announcing happiness and enthusiasm that cannot be faked. Not only was the old band back together, it was thriving."

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Last thing for the night....the sound was flawless. Not one issue with ANYTHING. The only time you saw anything was when the crowd got louder and Dave and Ed at almost the same time asked for their vocals to notch up a little...

I have never seen an OKC crowd into a Van Halen show like this tonight....not stop jumping up and down, dancing, screaming, clapping...you name it and I give it up to OKC. 24 years of going to concerts in OKC and never have I seen it like this...

SET LIST SPOILER! It's the same order...same set of songs. I know some will be pissed...SORRY!

Here's to you OKC and Van Halen!
    Last edited by 5150Sooner; 01.22.08 at 09:12 PM.

"From the moment David Lee Roth appeared at the top of a giant runway that snaked through the Oklahoma City Ford Center audience Tuesday night, he wore the one thing that told every Van Halen fan that everything was right with the world. It was a maniacal Cheshire cat smile announcing happiness and enthusiasm that cannot be faked. Not only was the old band back together, it was thriving."

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

01.23.08 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default AWESOME

I went to KC and this night in OKC. In my opinion OKC was much better. Dave was "on" tonight. He did all his stories and more. He talked to the crowd more and him and Ed did some blues stuff, I didn't see in KC. He talked to the crowd about how Van Halen first came to OKC in 1977 and he knows the City like the back of his hand. Man, the break did them well. Second leg of this tour appears to be much better than the end of the first.

Eddie had a wrap on his hand, but didn't effect his playing. Wolfie was styling a new hair cut and looked more comfortable. Alex was on and great as usual. Dave was all over the place and seemed to be around Eddie allot more than when I seen them in KC. Enjoyed and thinking about Dallas....

DejaVu

Eruption
    Last Online

01.26.17 @ 02:45 PM
    Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts

I just got back to the hotel, OH MY GOD!! What a show!! Way better than Kansas City, the whole band brought it tonight! The sound was excellent for most of the show!! Wolfie got a haircut, Dave was hilarious, Eddie and Alex blew me away! I sat in section 114 on Eddies side, but he stayed in the middle most of the time so it didnt matter really, I think Dave changed outfits 4 times, LOL, the show was not rushed like Kansas City, I loved it!! I hope this Saturday In Dallas is that good!!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 08:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Man, this show was near flawless. It was absolutely amazing, everyone was at their best tonight. The only mistake I heard Ed make all night was the first part of the solo in Ice Cream Man, but it seems he's been having problems with this most nights. Honestly, the guy's lost some speed due to his age, which is why he changes the harder/faster parts of his solos if you notice. Regardless, he's playing as well as he can at this point in his life IMO, and it's still pretty freakin' impressive. I saw VH 3 times in '04, and this show was 100x better than all of those put together. I really can't expect much more than what we got tonight. Ed's playing was on par with the VH3 tour. It was as good or better than any other recordings I've heard so far from this tour. I'm tired, so I'll end this by saying that the performance was outstanding and I recommend everyone see it themselves...it was THAT good.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.22.16 @ 07:45 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts

all good news except the setlist and order. that's just damn laziness. 20 plus days off and you can't do ANYTHING different. pretty sad, but expected.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by simplerhym View Post
    all good news except the setlist and order. that's just damn laziness. 20 plus days off and you can't do ANYTHING different. pretty sad, but expected.
    20 day break = ONE HELL OF A SHOW! I'd take that anyday over hearing a new tune....
    The break did the body/band good!

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

05.22.17 @ 05:53 AM
    Liked 1,800 Times in 969 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

The VH concert last night in OKC was just what we needed on a shitass cold night. Ky-mani Marley started off the show by thanking DLR and the Van Halen family for the opportunity of a lifetime.It really was a solid gesture on the bands part. I think maybe Dave's fingerprints are on it more than the brothers. Either way it was a good call.I was critical of it when it was first announced because it was a band that didn't play music anything like Van Halen's.But so what. If you are going to a show, go with a mind that's open to something different.There is sooooo much energy in music. Diversity is good.They did a song called "the March" that i really dug. He said it was a song about/for the troops. I would like to see the lyrics to that song as they sounded deep and poignant.I shot the sheriff finished out the set. I thoroughly enjoyed the set , and will be picking up the latest cd in the near future.

Well, well.

Guess whose back in circulation?

The set started off with Edward playing just outside of the curtain. This move imo sends the crowd into a frenzy. When that curtain was pulled open the folks in the Ford Center were on their feet. I never sat down again.As other folks have mentioned, the setlist was the same as the first leg.I think people going to multiple shows had better get used to this. This aint changing.I missed Mike folks.Let me just put that out there from the get go.Wolfie does a good job.Not a lot of stage presence right now but that willcome.That frankie bass is pretty cool. He switched up a couple of times, but the FrankenBass was his main axe. I believe he is playing. He plays the bass like a guitar. I believe he uses a pick most of the time too.Does he fill Mike's shoes? Not to me he doesn't.Mike was one of the originals who created the magic.One thing became apparent at least to me last night as the show went on. Wolfie is the bass player in Van Halen as long as Wolfie wants to be the bass player in Van Halen.

Alex is so freaking steady it ain't even funny.He's just there holding it all together like a good drummer should. I know people usually run for the head when the drum solo starts, but not me. My son plays the drums, so i am more into the drums/solos than ever.I thought it was just the right length.I know i have said it before, but that kit is just too bad ass.

Diamond David Lee Roth brought his A+ game folks. When the first boots started hitting youtube and i saw the way he was singing the songs with that choppy kinda lounge act way. I shook my head. Then people started saying how he was singing better then ever.I shook my head and also laughed.I thought,"you people need this to work so bad that you are giving this guy a pass." " He is singing nothing like the three previous tours i seen with him." But i guess that another reason why you shouldn't jugde a performance from some grainy video. The last time i seen Dave was at that same venue in 2002 during the Sam and Dave Tour.He looked ridiculous and i thought his vocals were bad too.Dave was magnificent last night. His voice is strong. And he utilizes, improvises, adapts, and overcomes when he has to.The kicks, the poses,the mike stand twirls. Everything he did was dead on.Well done Dave.

Edward payed real good folks. I think the break did wonders for him.It may have brought him back to his center more. Still has the chord.lol. Played that new Wolfgang most of the night, but he did bust out the frankie and i guess what would be the Art Series guitars. People have mentioned the gauze wrap and the cut on his finger. All true. Also his hands are a bit gnarly. Don't know if it is arthritis or not. He and i share the same right pinky. Bent.

I thought his playing was good all night.I don't play so i can't critique him like some of you guitar players can. Certainly no obvious bad playing imo.The solo was good and i dug the little bit with the drumstick. That toggle switch seems like it would be in the way, but i guess you adapt.

I guess the only other thing i have to say is if everone gets a show like we got at the Ford Center last night, then there shouldn't be another bad review the rest of the tour.It was that good folks.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Last Online

05.03.08 @ 08:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This show was simply amazing. Eddie played really really well. I was impressed with the tightness of the band. This was no loose playing band, they were very tight. There was electricity in the air. The crowd chanted "Eddie, Eddie, Eddie" so loud that I could not hear myself saying it. I have seen my fair share of concerts and this was one of the best I have ever seen. I am really happy I attended.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Song

Senorita aka Little Guitars
    Last Online

01.06.16 @ 08:18 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150Sooner View Post
    By far the best show of the tour
    From the now 5 I've attended and everything I've seen, 100% agree.

Eddie made up for Vegas shortcoming, spot on and it was easy for him to do. This was a collectable, if not THE one to collect. Worth flying from California to see if you can fathom it. More later but it looks like it's mostly been said. I was 3rd row pod and have a "Pretty Women" to put up...after sleep ... need to append my signature too...

ich, thank's again Ed, love ya.

-------------------
    06/14/12 VIP San Diego, CA
    06/12/12 VIP Anaheim, CA
    06/09/12 VIP Los Angeles, CA
    06/01/12 VIP Los Angeles, CA
    05/01/12 VIP Tulsa, OK
    02/18/12 VIP Louisville, KY
    01/08/08 VIP Oklahoma City, OK
    12/30/07 Vegas, NV
    12/28/07 Vegas, NV
    11/25/07 VIP San Diego, CA
    09/29/07 VIP Greensboro, NC
    2004 Best of Both Worlds Tour, single date forgotten, Universal Amphitheatre, CA
    Numerous specific dates & places going back to the 70's erased by time, booze & drugs
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "“Van Halen music is whisky in a paper cup! Short doses and not every night, PLEASE!”

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Judgement Day
    Last Online

01.01.09 @ 11:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I dont have alot to add to the other reviews but i will start off by saying how nice the people that worked the show was. I seen alot of shows in dallas and the event staff were always rude. When I pull into the parking lot the guy was super nice. The guys who work the swag booth, the ushers, the beer guys, even the house keeping people were so nice. Now for the show, i also noticed a cut and blood on eddie's finger but it didnt effect is play at all. I think they miss MA really bad, Wolfie did a find job on the bass but MA vocals are missed. During I'll Wait, Jump,YRGM, and RWTD the background vocals were kind of muddy and flat. Roth was in prime form, his vocals were dead on, but did forget some of the lyrics to a couple of songs, which he said he forget them. Alex was on fire. Eddie play was great but he spent most of the show in front of the drum kit and didn move around a whole lot. he needs to lose the cord. and when he did come out he tripped on the ramp on Wolfie's side. Wolfie soild bass play but did not add to the show at all. I kept thinking why dosent he start his own band. He cant like playing these songs over and over that were made before he was born. other than that the show was well worth the money i paid and the money i spend getting to the show.
    Kickin' back, ain't kickin' you

Eruption
    Last Online

01.26.17 @ 02:45 PM
    Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts

I forogt to add that the shirts still had 2007 tour on them, except for one new longsleeve t shirt, that said, 2007-08 on it, and none of the second leg cities were on the shirts as far as i could tell, but im not positive,

Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

05.22.17 @ 05:53 AM
    Liked 1,800 Times in 969 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Edit: Wrong Thread..... Sorry OLO.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Little Dreamer LaDonna Lee Roth's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

I and II
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Cryin'
    Last Online

12.29.08 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

HELL YEAH!!!

This show ROCKED, ya'll!! It was waaaaay better than KC. I won tickets from the BUZZ and they were crappy 300 section seats. We walked right into the door of section 114 and NO ONE checked our tickets! We had a perfect view of everything. I thought Eddie played good and of course Dave looked hot and sounded fabulous. I took my daughter and now she understands what a real rock and roll band looks and sounds like. I wore the concert T under my suit today! God I love Van Halen!!!!
    LaDonna Lee Roth

myspace.com/ladunkadunk