Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Pamela Smart Teen Gunman, Now 33, Seeks Sentence Reduction

Back in the day when teacher/student cases weren't as commonplace due to lack of -in-the-moment- internet media...

Pamela Smart Teen Gunman, Now 33, Seeks Sentence Reduction

WARREN, Maine — William Flynn depicts himself as a do-gooder, a member of the Jaycees who has a wife and teenage stepdaughter and likes to play softball.

At least that's how he'd like to be seen by a judge, who's considering freeing Flynn early from the 28 years-to-life prison term he got for killing his lover's husband as a teenager in the notorious Pamela Smart murder case.

March 12, 1991: William Flynn, 17, during his trial for killing Gregory Smart in Rockingham County Superior Court in Exeter, N.H.

Since going to prison nearly two decades ago, Flynn has earned a high school equivalency degree and an electrician's helper license, gotten married and raised money for charity. He says in court documents that he has transformed himself into a thoughtful and caring adult, intent on helping others.

Flynn, 33, was 16 and having an affair with Smart when he shot and killed her husband in New Hampshire in 1990.

Pamela Smart, 23, takes the oath before sitting in the witness stand in Rockingham County Superior Court in Exeter, N.H., in this 1991 file photo.

In his petition to the judge, Flynn writes in a six-page handwritten letter that the guilt and shame he feels is like wearing a "huge weight strapped permanently across your shoulders."

Prosecutors oppose Flynn's request, as does the family of the victim, Gregory Smart. A hearing is set for Friday in Rockingham Superior Court in Brentwood, N.H.

Flynn's court file contains more than three dozen letters of support from prison employees, friends and others who know him. Another nine letters come from people who say they would hire Flynn once he is released.

In the motion, Flynn asks for a sentence reduction because he has now spent more than half his life in prison.

"He has used those years to develop from a boy into a man of great character, fully rehabilitated and ready to contribute to society upon his release from incarceration," says his lawyer, Cathy Green of Manchester, N.H.

That's quite a contrast from the angry and withdrawn teenager who, as a high school sophomore, shot Gregory Smart in the back of the head as Smart begged for mercy from his knees. The murder scheme was concocted by Pamela Smart, who is serving a life sentence in a New York prison for her role.

Assistant Attorney General Kirsten Wilson said reducing his term would undermine the sentencing goals of punishment, rehabilitation and deterrence.

"As he has yet to serve the minimum of his sentence, he has not been appropriately punished for his crime," she wrote.

Eighteen years ago, Flynn and his high school buddies were smitten with Pamela Smart, a blonde 23-year-old who worked at their high school in Hampton, N.H. They became lovers, he testified, and she enlisted him to kill her husband of less than a year.

On May 1, 1990, Flynn and a friend entered the Smarts' condominium and grabbed Gregory Smart. The friend held a knife to Smart's throat, and Flynn — after asking God for forgiveness — fired a .38-caliber revolver. Two other teenage friends were in a getaway car.

In exchange for testifying against Pamela Smart, Flynn pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.

Her lawyers argued that Flynn wanted Gregory Smart out of the way so he could continue the affair. Prosecutors said Smart wanted her husband killed so she wouldn't lose her condo, furniture and dog in a divorce.

Flynn, who did not respond to requests to be interviewed, wrote to the judge that he's not worthy of the Smart family's forgiveness, but wants them to know that "the word sorry fails to express the depth of what I feel."

Flynn is so trusted in prison that he has been given work on prison security and camera systems, the court file shows. He is a member of the prison Jaycees, the NAACP and the Kairos Christian organization.

He is director of the Long Timers Group and chairman of the Peer Education Group. He plays guitar, soccer and softball, and has helped raise money for the Toys for Tots program and Salvation Army. He also helped build a children's playhouse for a family that moved to Maine after Hurricane Katrina.

Flynn has also gotten married. In a letter to the court, his wife, Kelly Flynn, says she owns a house where she lives with her teenage daughter. She said her husband has turned himself around in prison through self-examination and hard work.

"Bill has become a man who is worthy of respect, despite his past record," writes Kelly Flynn, who declined to be interviewed.

Flynn may have a tough time persuading Justice Kenneth McHugh that his sentence should be reduced.

It could be argued that Flynn's sentence was reduced at the time of sentencing through a plea bargain, said Charles Putnam, co-director of the Justiceworks research institute at University of New Hampshire and a former homicide prosecutor. At the time, his sentence was cut from 40 to 28 years because of his youth and other factors.

And it will be hard to overlook the image of Flynn pulling the trigger.

"From my perspective," Putnam said, "holding another human being who is begging to be spared, and pulling the trigger on that human being and voluntarily and purposely ending the life of that human being is a momentous act."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

As many of you will recall, Pam Smart's dog was named "Halen".. you guessed it.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i have mixed feelings about this sort of thing. Generally speaking I believe in sticking to sentencing that was handed down....but in cases where someone truly has been rehabilitated (and obviously it's practically impossible to truly determine this) it may behoove society to let someone out early. By leaving them in longer, it may undo the rehabilitation they worked so hard to develop. Does that make sense? So on the one hand, people do need to fulfill their punishment but at the same time we have to make sure that prison and punishment do not defeat their own purpose.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

They should let the family of Gregory Smart decide Flynn's fate.
    Or let him serve the rest of the 28 years, what's that like 11 years remaining? That way, he will have served the minimum of the sentence.

I'm just wondering what kind of precedent this will set. Where do we draw the line on the extent of the crime vs. the amount of rehabilitation that is necessary to get a sentence reduced?
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:18 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

This would make the term "sentence minimum" completely obsolete if he's released. They could call it a "sentence you must serve until you think we've forgotten that you killed someone".

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not that this means much but I lived directly across the street from where all of this took place. I was married for about a year and coming home with my now ex-wife and newborn daughter when we arrived to all of the police and ambulance activity on our street. I couldn't believe what had happened. Not only that, but my older sister was friends with Pam Smart. They were both in the same graduating year and were cheerleaders.

That being said, the man took another's life. While I understand that a person can be rehabilitated, it does not give rise to the fact that he is, and always will be in the literal sense of the word, a killer. Arguments can be made for both sides; he was sixteen and vulnerable, seduced by an adult into committing the crime, OR, he knew what he was doing and just wanted to be with his lover and take her husband out of the picture... My thoughts always lean towards Greg Smart's parents. Their son is dead while Flynn is married with a daughter and will eventually be able to lead a "free life". Greg Smart never will. Is that fair? I think not. Just my opinion...
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:07 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Thats a TRIP Ace!!!!

Did you know Pam Smart very well?? Did you think she may be involved when all this went down?
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Do any of us think and or behave now (in late 30's) as we did when we were 16?

Just tossing that out there...

Regardless, I still think he needs to fulfill his sentence...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:07 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post

LMAO NO.

Stuff that I did as 16 year old would NEVER enter my mind as a 39 year old.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    Thats a TRIP Ace!!!!

Did you know Pam Smart very well?? Did you think she may be involved when all this went down?
    It was, OLO... I didn't know her personally however, my sister was pretty good friends with her. We did meet once when she and my sister were on the way to a party in Londonderry, NH. I think I was only about 14 at the time but it's still freaky to think I've actually crossed paths with her.

As far as her involvement, it was pretty clear after all of the investigations that she was trying to have him killed. There were wire taps that revealed her willingness to pay off Flynn and two others in return for Greg Smarts killing. The pay-off you might ask? Some Bose speakers, $2,500 in cash and a chance to be with her for sex. You have to ask yourself... was it really worth it???
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post

Regardless, I still think he needs to fulfill his sentence...
    LMAO NO.

Stuff that I did as 16 year old would NEVER enter my mind as a 39 year old.
    I would imagine that a lot of sixteen year old boys have done some crazy shit over the years. I sat in English class in my jock strap for a dollar. I never, however, committed cold blooded murder.

He needs to stay in for the rest of the minimum sentence and then some. Who cares if he or anyone else thinks he is rehabilitated? The sentence should not be changed.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

If the victim's parents haven't forgiven him, why should we?

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

...Stuff that I did as 16 year old would NEVER enter my mind as a 39 year old.
    Yes, yet fortunately (for those of us in the older crowd) the reverse of this is true as well.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw