Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.22.08 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Bogner/Line 6 Spider Valve

I pretty much just lurk around here, but was interested....
    Has anyone else tried one of these things?

I've never liked Line 6 much. Thought at bedroom power levels the Spider II had some nice sounds (mostly the clean and high gain), but sucked as soon as you started turning it up. Plus, the bit of digital latency bugged me a little. But, I'd heard people (people who surprised me to hear sayign this) raving about this new amp. Online sound samples seemed cool, but you can never judge an amp like that.

We'll, I spent some time at a local store fooling around with this new "Spider Valve" and was floored....especially considering the price. #1....at 40 watts the thing is really freakin' loud. But, the best part is that the tones just get sweeter and more responsive the more you turn it up. This thing just craps all over the regular Spiders. Apparently Line 6 and Bogner really revoiced the tones for this amp and it shows....everything is improved...especially the mid-gain stuff.

Cons - Modulation effects suck because there is such limited control. Also, if you use a pedal board (which is a must if you ask me) the volume control pedal which you can use as a Wah is a crappy wah. But, I don't care...I already have a nice wah pedal.

Bottom line - I ended up buying it (for under $700 including tax ) and had no plans too. I've mostly had Boogie stuff, but I think this is going to be my new gig amp. I just can't get over it.

What do you guys think. Anyone spent quality time with one? Especially in a band?

Eruption
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

I gig with a Bogner Ecstasy, and I have some killer amps in my collection. . .1978 50 watt Marshall, 1971 100 watt Marshall Super Lead, and a 1992 Mesa Dual Recto.

The little Line 6 Spider has got my attention. I have yet to play one, but the clips and comments from people have me really considering picking one up.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

I bought one about 3 weeks ago and it still has to arrive...I played it a couple weeks before I bought it and it totally floored me. I was dead set on getting the 5150 III and that was the only amp I wanted... but after I played through the Line 6 Spider III...my god...I was blown away...

It's the tone I've been looking for all my life....you know I just turn all the knobs to 10, that's what I did before...but this little bitch of an amp..does all the work for you...it's simply the best amp ever....

Oh my god....I'm turning into Eddie
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

^You ordered a Spider III or Spider Valve? If you ordered a III for the love of God cancel and get the Valve

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

my spies on the inside tell me the bogners line 6 amps are going through the same problems that have plagued all Line 6 products at launch...lots of inconsistencies and technical issues with this first round of serial numbers. There have been quite a few returns and some that didn't even make it onto the sales floor because they had to go right back to Line 6.

I'm very intrigued but I'm going to wait a few more months before really considering buying one. The initial reviews are all very positive from a features/tone/price point perspective...just need to wait until I feel secure that they've gotten all the kinks worked out.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What problems? So far mine's problem free (Thank god )

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    I bought one about 3 weeks ago and it still has to arrive...I played it a couple weeks before I bought it and it totally floored me. I was dead set on getting the 5150 III and that was the only amp I wanted... but after I played through the Line 6 Spider III...my god...I was blown away...

It's the tone I've been looking for all my life....you know I just turn all the knobs to 10, that's what I did before...but this little bitch of an amp..does all the work for you...it's simply the best amp ever....

Oh my god....I'm turning into Eddie

Quite an interesting little thread. I too was closely looking at the 5150 III and had considered the Spider Valve. I resolved myself to saving up for the 5150 III and some time in 08 or 09 swallowing hard and buying it. The Spider Valve is only 700 and change, a much easier payment to make. I've heard a lot of good things about the SV and I'm seriously thinking about it again.

At Christmas, my wife gave me the green light to spend a bit of money on some toys, so I'm going ahead with a project guitar-still undecided what-and I"ve been looking at affordable amps. Maybe the SV fits the bill? I also own a 5150 which I picked up dirt cheap and I love it, but it only really has one sound and there are times when I would like to step out from that sound and explore a little bit and I can't. Ah what to do, what to do...and I'm not even in a band or anything. I don't know how you guys that NEED this stuff cope with the GAS.

If would be great if all you Spider Valve owners could keep us updated.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 06:02 PM
    Liked 720 Times in 290 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Ah what to do, what to do...and I'm not even in a band or anything. I don't know how you guys that NEED this stuff cope with the GAS.
    I used to think it was cool to "collect" guitars, as it was the only thing I spent money on that I didn't "need".

One day I looked around and said "What the fuck do I need all these guitars for?".

I gave most of them away, only keeping the 3 that mean something to me: My Steinberger TransTrem that was a gift from my brother in 1989, my sunburst Fender Strat that was the 1st guitar I bought after I graduated from college, and a purple Wolfgang Standard hard-tail that I bought with my wife after we decided to not get divorced.

Since that day, anytime I've gotten the itch to spend any money on shit I don't need, I go down to the local animal shelter and write them a check instead.

~Peace

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Peabody View Post
    What problems? So far mine's problem free (Thank god )
    mostly the amps just die. One day they work, the next they don't. Other problems that have come up with Line 6 new gear before have always been having to do with the electronics...they're high tech little numbers and it takes a little while to get things straight. In no way am I bagging on Line 6 because they are one of the most classy organizations I worked with. Great guys top to bottom and always immediately on any little problem so please don't take any remark I make to mean that their gear sucks or that the company sucks. They are one of the few companies to really have some serious ambition and focus on trying new things and exploring what new technologies have to offer today's musician.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peabody View Post
    ^You ordered a Spider III or Spider Valve? If you ordered a III for the love of God cancel and get the Valve
    I ordered a Spider III and I'm not going to cancel...but thanks for the insight...it's a great sounding amp the III is and it cost me 200 bucks...you can't go wrong...
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like it. I want to try the head but the combo is pretty cool. Especially orange metal. I love that setting. I am still just going to go ebay myself a 5150 II, but I have considered this option.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    I ordered a Spider III and I'm not going to cancel...but thanks for the insight...it's a great sounding amp the III is and it cost me 200 bucks...you can't go wrong...
    That's still a nice amp for what it is...and quite a value at $200, IMO.

I'd be really interested if anyone's tried the Spider Valve head....the combo sure kicks ass. (Just got done jamming with it )