Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Default Golf Week Magazine Exploits "Lynching" Comment

How a magazine that very few actually read (let alone have heard of outside the world of golf) shoehorns itself into the national spotlight with an already dead story...

Golf magazine puts credibility in noose

UNION-TRIBUNE

January 17, 2008

Traditionally conservative Golfweek magazine, one of the game's two national weekly magazines, is courting considerable controversy by putting an image of a hangman's noose on the cover of its next edition, writes Steve Elling of CBSSports.com.

As civil rights activists grumble over Golf Channel anchor Kelly Tilghman's comment Jan. 4 about Tiger Woods, the magazine is unveiling a series of follow-up stories on the issue, which includes feedback from former network broadcaster Ben Wright, who was canned by CBS several years ago for making sexist comments.

But is emphasizing the noose, given its racist connotations and galling symbolism, a form of intentional journalistic pandering?

“There was a great deal of debate over it,” Golfweek editor Dave Seanor said of the magazine's in-house deliberations. “But it was the news of the week, no question about it. That's what everybody in the game is talking about.”

Tilghman, in a freewheeling and unscripted exchange regarding Woods' dominance with analyst Nick Faldo, suggested flippantly that players could “lynch him (Woods) in a back alley.” She has been suspended for two weeks.

“Clearly, what Kelly said was inappropriate and unfortunate and she obviously regrets her choice of words,” PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem said in a statement yesterday. “But we consider Golfweek's imagery of a swinging noose on its cover to be outrageous and irresponsible. It smacks of tabloid journalism. It was a naked attempt to inflame and keep alive an incident that was heading to an appropriate conclusion.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...17gallery.html

As for the potential fallout...

Golfweek' cover ramifications growing
    Updated: Jan/17/2008 05:08 PM

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Pardon the choice of words, but the imagery is of their own making.

For Golfweek magazine, the noose tightened on Thursday.

One day after the controversial cover artwork on Golfweek became the hottest topic in golf, a top PGA Tour official said that some of its advertising scheduled to run in the publication might be pulled.

This week's cover image on the magazine is a hangman's noose, a provocative reference to the live comments uttered on the air Jan. 4 by Golf Channel broadcaster Kelly Tilghman, which caused a firestorm in golf circles. Already this week, PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem and PGA of America CEO Joe Steranka have expressed either disappointment or outrage at the decision to feature such a controversial and racially sensitive image on one of the game's largest publications.

Jack Peter, an official with the PGA Tour whose duties include running the World Golf Village in nearby St. Augustine, said tour officials on Thursday told Golfweek representatives that advertising might be withdrawn because of the tour's discomfort over the noose issue.

Peter said approximately $50,000 in ads for the World Golf Village might be canceled, creating the possibility that other advertisers could follow suit. He described the Thursday meeting with Golfweek representatives, which had been scheduled long before the cover-image controversy erupted this week, as "awkward."

"We have an (advertising ) agreement in place, but the contract has not been signed," Peter said. "I don't know that I am comfortable going forward with it."

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/we...entry/10565381
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

I agree chef. It was already a dead issue and for them to put a noose on the cover was sensationalistic and in bad taste, IMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:45 AM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

Is that cover real?

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Is that cover real?
    Yup, and I apologise because at the moment, that is the best (also the largest) image that I could locate.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Yeah, it's been all over sports center, around the horn, and pti all day...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:45 AM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Yup, and I apologise because at the moment, that is the best (also the largest) image that I could locate.
    I can see it fine, no problem there. I'm just not sure that I want to believe it. I can understand a cover story on the incident, but to stoke the fire with such an image?

It's a Golf magazine.

Thank God that Oprah and Nancy Grace don't get together regularly on the links... huh?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How many non-golfers are going to pick up this magazine based on the cover and the intended controversy its to generate?

How many golfers are going to go "What the f%^k"?

The answer to those questions, in my mind, make this a pretty stupid move on the part of the editors.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Bad taste, this story has been dead for awhile now.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

that's pretty damn funny....pretty tasteless and silly but funny....what a stupid contrived controversy...

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

cheap sensationalism at it's finest. Would have been a dumb idea even during the 24 hour window when the story was hot.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Ah, just what the dying embers needed.

....a gallon of fucking gasoline!!
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    Bad taste, this story has been dead for awhile now.
    Just wait, this will give The Justice Brothers more firepower. It will now be resurrected.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Last Online

03.20.08 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Regardless of the controversy which I think is stupid anyway...

when did a particular minority group take ownership of the noose?

From what I understand the noose has been used for corporal punishment for hundreds of years - way before slavery. In fact, almost 3 quarters of suicides are committed by whites with the rope by nearly the same percentage. So now something that is a form of death for all humans is now the property of one group and can be bitched about every time someone sees one or utters the word?

Anything to keep racism alive and well right?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by 8amtill606 View Post
    Regardless of the controversy which I think is stupid anyway...

when did a particular minority group take ownership of the noose?

From what I understand the noose has been used for corporal punishment for hundreds of years - way before slavery. In fact, almost 3 quarters of suicides are committed by whites with the rope by nearly the same percentage. So now something that is a form of death for all humans is now the property of one group and can be bitched about every time someone sees one or utters the word?

Anything to keep racism alive and well right?
    hey watch it! you're just twisting everything around. Everyone knows that the noose is a symbol of hatred towards african americans and nothing more. So what if it MIGHT have been used at some point to hang someone else who MIGHT not have been african american. When whites decided to lynch blacks for the sake of being black that changed everything and forever turned the symbol into something unique to the african ammerican experience. You obviously have no perspective on this subject because you've grown up shelterd by white american while african americans have had to live through the torture and murder and now, just as bad if not worse, have to live in a society that tells them that these horrific acts no longer matter and that racism is dead.

I think that about covers it...this load of bullshit has been brought to you in part by Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson...we now return you to our regularly scheduled dose of reality and rational thinking.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    hey watch it! you're just twisting everything around. Everyone knows that the noose is a symbol of hatred towards african americans and nothing more. So what if it MIGHT have been used at some point to hang someone else who MIGHT not have been african american. When whites decided to lynch blacks for the sake of being black that changed everything and forever turned the symbol into something unique to the african ammerican experience. You obviously have no perspective on this subject because you've grown up shelterd by white american while african americans have had to live through the torture and murder and now, just as bad if not worse, have to live in a society that tells them that these horrific acts no longer matter and that racism is dead.

I think that about covers it...this load of bullshit has been brought to you in part by Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson...we now return you to our regularly scheduled dose of reality and rational thinking.
    that doesn't cover it. You neglected to tell them to kiss your Cuban Texas Cracker Ass
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...