Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

Default Amp Help ?

I need your guys help........

I'm in the market for a new half-stack but don't have a ton of cash to drop, and I've narrowed down to 2 models, but was hoping for some input.

My first choice is the Peavey Valve King -

ValveKing® 412
    The Peavey ValveKing® Series is a new, all-tube guitar amp line combining boutique features and hot-rodded tones with legendary Peavey reliability.

Peavey Valve King Amp Features

100 watts (rms) into 16, 8, or 4 ohms (switchable)
    Four 6L6GC and three 12AX7 tubes
    Two independent footswitchable channels
    Separate EQ for each channel
    Footswitchable gain/volume boost on lead channel
    Dual paralleled speaker jacks
    Reverb with level control
    Buffered effects loop
    Resonance and presence controls
    Patented Texture™ variable Class A simulation control

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peavey ValveKing® 412 Features

Birch construction
    16 ohms mono with dual input jacks for connecting additional cabinets
    Four 12 inch ValveKing® speakers
    Rear-mounted speakers
    400 watts continuous power handling
    Straight and slant versions available

My second choice is a Marshall

MG100HDFX Head Features & Specifications

Output (RMS): 100w
    Channels: 2
    Separate EQ per Channel
    Clean/Crunch Switch
    OD1/OD2 Switch
    Contour Control
    Footswitcable Channels
    CD Input
    Emulated Line Out
    Emulated Headphone Out
    Digital Effects
    Digital Reverb
    FX Loop
    FX Loop Level & Mix Control
    FDD
    Dimensions (approximate): 23.25 x 10 x 10.64" (590 x 253 x 270 mm)
    Weight (approx.) 30 lbs. (13.6 Kg)
    Footswitch (supplied): PEDL-90004

Both have recieved great reviews, so I'm a bit torn. The Peavey is $300 more, but it's all-tube and the Marshall is solid-state.
    I play 70's and 80's rock in a garage band and might play the occasional dive bar, so I believe either would be adequate for my needs. I just need to be able to make an informed decision....any input ?
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

check out the b52 head...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-AT-...88-i1320777.gc

these are REALLY good...built like tanks, great tone and lots of versatility.

while we're on the topic of amps...I could use a little help too...

currently I've got a classic 30 which serves me quite well and has for some time. I'm playing in a latin review show, small venues for the most part with audiences of a couple hundred. We have a sound system and I either mic the amp or go through a direct box to run a signal to the mains while using my amps signal for stage volume.

The trouble I have is that, because it's a tube amp with relatively low wattage, I find that as the night goes on the tubes heat up and the tone gets gritty, which is GREAT for my blues and rock projects, perfect even, but for this review show I need a crisper cleaner tone. The other problem I have is that I seem to be choking up the amp a little and I'm thinking I need two twelve inch speakers instead of one. I'm considering going with a simple solid state amp like a Fender FM212 or a Marshall MG series...I don't want to lug around a Fender Twin or anything like that and I tried out a few Line 6 amps and just didn't care for them. What do you guys think?

Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 06:23 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Get a Peavey Windsor all tube 100 watts runs on el34s, it good for classic rock or 80's type sounds. The head and cab together go for about 700 new. Or get the the Valveking. I heard those MG100HDFX are pretty shitty.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by solo-ed View Post
    Get a Peavey Windsor all tube 100 watts runs on el34s, it good for classic rock or 80's type sounds. The head and cab together go for about 700 new. Or get the the Valveking. I heard those MG100HDFX are pretty shitty.

Sweet ! Thats the input I'm looking for.

I was worried about the Marshall as well, but it was a MARSHALL, you know how it goes ! The name kinda sucks you in !
    Last edited by Lodewijk; 01.15.08 at 03:16 PM.
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the valveking 112. Sounds pretty good, fairly versitle,
    , with 2 chanels & a foot switchable gain boost. I did change the speaker, and pre amp tubes. Valveking speakers aren't very good, so you might consider a different cab.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i know someone who has a a mg stack. its more of the size of a 3/4 stack than a half stack. the head and cab are not as big as your standard half stack(i can can pick up the entire rig by grabbing the cabinet handles) and its very noisy on the OD2 channel. not built super solid as much plastic parts as metal.

if you want a really good heavy rock sound you need to put a distortion or od pedal in front of it. just meant to say its more geared younger players who think just because the amp has marshall on it its going to sound like a jcm900 or dsl head. you can tell its solid state once you play at stage levels.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the marshall MG head is pretty crappy as far as wanting the sound and volume you hope to get with such a set up. Avoid it. It's also pretty poorly made. If you're going solid state, check out the B52 solid state 100 watt head and cab.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    the marshall MG head is pretty crappy as far as wanting the sound and volume you hope to get with such a set up. Avoid it. It's also pretty poorly made. If you're going solid state, check out the B52 solid state 100 watt head and cab.

I've heard good things about the B-52's, but I'm buying on account, and the store I use doesn't carry them.

That's why I always come to you guys.....The Marshall has 45 reviews, ALL positive, but I knew you guys could give me the real lowdown !

I'm leaning towards either of the two Peavey's in my price range ($1000), The Windsor or the Valve King. The Windsor is single channel, and I think I'd like something a little more versatile. I'm loaded with stomp-boxes, so onboard effects aren't all that important to me.
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lodewijk View Post
    I've heard good things about the B-52's, but I'm buying on account, and the store I use doesn't carry them.

That's why I always come to you guys.....The Marshall has 45 reviews, ALL positive, but I knew you guys could give me the real lowdown !

I'm leaning towards either of the two Peavey's in my price range ($1000), The Windsor or the Valve King. The Windsor is single channel, and I think I'd like something a little more versatile. I'm loaded with stomp-boxes, so onboard effects aren't all that important to me.
    what are your other options? peavey makes a great product...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

what are your other options? peavey makes a great product...
    There's a nice Randall RX120R ,and a Hughes and Kettner Matrix as well. The H&K, I'm not familiar with at all, and I've always thought of Randall as a single step up from a Crate, and more of a "metal" amp. Maybe I've got the wrong impression. There's also a VOX set-up, but I'm not sure about them either.
    Last edited by Lodewijk; 01.15.08 at 04:05 PM.
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lodewijk View Post
    There's a nice Randall RX120R ,and a Hughes and Kettner Matrix as well. The H&K, I'm not familiar with at all, and I've always thought of Randall as a single step up from a Crate, and more of a "metal" amp. Maybe I've got the wrong impression. There's also a VOX set-up, but I'm not sure about them either.
    H&K makes some pretty kick as gear...Nuno Bettencourt was using them several years back...they were the first on the scene with a three channel amp. Vox is Vox and they are very good at what they do. Ironically, the only thing I don't encourage people to buy is an AC30, they can be very very moody. They went through a phase about 5 years ago where we just stopped selling them period. EVERY SINGLE ONE WE SOLD came back with some sort of crazy bullshit. No matter where we got them from too...from the factory, from another store, didn't matter...there was just a batch of really bad AC30s. Now they're really focusing on the valvetronix stuff and it's very good, very well made and has a lot of neat features. No point in getting them if you've got pedals that you run through, unless you like the idea of using the amp modelling that they offer, and I think they amp models are every bit as good, if not better, than the Line 6 stuff and in my experience are built much better. Never ever had a valvetronix come back but Line 6 is notorious for returns and repair orders.

I never sold H&K and have never personally played one for an extended length of time but I would definitely consider buying one. I've never met anyone who had a bad experience with them. They're worth doing some homework on before you make your decision.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

I never sold H&K and have never personally played one for an extended length of time but I would definitely consider buying one. I've never met anyone who had a bad experience with them. They're worth doing some homework on before you make your decision.
    OK ! I'll do that !

I've got a Line6 Spider II 210 combo now that I'm really happy with, the amp mods are really good, but I rarly use anything outside of the delay as far as the effects. It's just time for something bigger. Have you heard anything about the Line6 Spyder III amps ? They don't seem to be as nice as my combo, so I've dropped them down the list, just as I have the Marshall (thanks to you guys)!

I guess we'd have to consider what I play as well ? A Peavey HP Special CT...I would guess it matters, although it shouldn't.
    Last edited by Lodewijk; 01.15.08 at 04:34 PM.
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i think those reveiws may have been written by some young metal head kids who havnt owned many amps. im a metal head myself but have owned many amps.

if you get something tube , check the build quality and such. you can always spend a little extra to put a decent overdrive or distortion pedal in front of it to saturate the tubes.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Last Online

02.16.10 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Valveking is MUCH better than the Windsor and the Marshall MG. The Windsor and Marshall are simply crappy, cheap amps. The Valveking is actually a legit piece of gear. It's no Soldano or 1959 Marshall Plexi Super Lead, but it's not bad. Go Valveking.

Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

OUTA LOVE
    Last Online

09.09.11 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike-o View Post
    The Valveking is MUCH better than the Windsor and the Marshall MG. The Windsor and Marshall are simply crappy, cheap amps. The Valveking is actually a legit piece of gear. It's no Soldano or 1959 Marshall Plexi Super Lead, but it's not bad. Go Valveking.
    I wish Marshall had never lowered their standards by making that MG piece of shit. I own the JCM 2000 DSL and it absolutely fucking kicks ass ! Expensive, but worth every penny.