Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned!
    Last Online

06.20.08 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default The Drumming Thread

Well, I know there has to be a lot of drummers here. I searched for somthing like this and found nothing, so I figured what the hell?? How about a thread for drummers....questions in general, gear questions.....styles....who inspired you, and on and on...I'm sure you get the point....just like the guitar forum, but a thread for us, because there probaly ain't enough of us around here to justify a whole forum!! (Wow, that's got to be the longest run on sentence in the world)

Anyway, I just got into drumming about eight months ago. I'm enjoying myself, have a Gretsch Jazz set I picked up on Ebay...nice little set... I just recently purchased a Pork Pie acrylic Pig lite snare....damn, what a great snare. I pretty much have been concentrating on learning rudiments.....definetly getting there, that is to say, I am making quite a bit of improvement lately.

I have been concentrating on rudiments from this site...

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/ru...aradiddle.html

and learning some basics from this site.... Drumlessons.net.

I bought a metronome, although I must say it can be quite a challenge at times. I play every day...sooooo...

Any other advice you folks could dish out at this time on how to get better??

It would be really cool if we could keep this going, and maybe someday even turn it into a forum of our own. Maybe someday we even could have a VHlinks jam with actuall drummers involved, and then send the backing track to the guitar room and see what they could do with it.

Looking forward to any replies.

Favorite VH Album

The one I'm listenin' to.
    Favorite VH Song

Can't pick just one
    Last Online

01.21.15 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts

Sweet!!!! A thread for us drummers.

Practice everyday. I've been playing for 25 years and I'm still learning new stuff.
    ALEX IS GOD!!!

I've been doin' this for 'bout 20 years now, and I'll tell ya, to this day I still don't know the right drumstick from the left drumstick -Alex Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

08.29.11 @ 12:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I m drummer too……….. keep it up!!!! I have been plying drums since I was 5 and I m now 29. My biggest influence is Alex VH duh… HA HA HA. I play shows all the time and I get to do a drum solo every show!!! Trust me there’s always a little Alex VH in me while I play drums.
    Live by the VH attitude, die by the VH attitude.
    \mm/\mm/

"What do you wanna do with your life?

I WANNA ROCK!"

Alex Van Halen "THE BEATLES will never get back together and David Lee Roth will never again sing with VAN HALEN."
    the way it should have been link below:
    http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4...5dd0881lk8.jpg

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhrocker View Post
    Sweet!!!! A thread for us drummers.

Practice everyday. I've been playing for 25 years and I'm still learning new stuff.
    Wow, 25 years? I'm sure you have gained a ton of knowledge over that time. Any secrets you'd like to discuss?? Would love to hear about the gear you have now, or in the past.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AJHV View Post
    I m drummer too……….. keep it up!!!! I have been plying drums since I was 5 and I m now 29. My biggest influence is Alex VH duh… HA HA HA. I play shows all the time and I get to do a drum solo every show!!! Trust me there’s always a little Alex VH in me while I play drums.
    So what gear do you have bro?? Have you ever played the Gretsch Jazz set I have now....catalina Jazz set, and what did you think of it? Would love to see pics of your gear now!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i played drums for years...in fact the first two bands I was in had me in behind a kit. I've played guitar for more years but I've always enjoyed playing drums. In fact, I almost bought myself another kit yesterday. Decided to hold off until the wife and I buy a house...hopefully at the end of the year so I can soundproof one of the rooms.

I used to play sonors, very nice kit. They I had a yamaha hip kit when I went back to playing guitar full time and wanted a set just to play around with. The kit I have my eye on is a Gretsch set, Catalina series...26" kick...

my favourite players are JJ Johnson, played with Ian Moore for years and then toured with Clapton and is now on the road with John Mayer, last time I checked...I'm also a huge fan of dave abbruzzese, that guy is incredible and Pearl Jam has never been the same since parting ways with him. I'm a huge fan of Kenny Aronoff and Stuart Copeland as well and of course I dig guys like Bonham and Moon and AVH...how can you not.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any advantages or disadvantages to the type of grip one uses? Traditional, (jazz) vs matched?

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Posting in this forum is pretty much useless eh?? Sorry to have wasted time...for me and others. Wow.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

you would think with as many musicians as should be on this board, this section would be hopping...

i didn't respond to the grip question because I really don't know drums well enough to answer your question. I never took lessons or anything. My later time behind the drums found me playing with the jazz grip which I found to be much more comfortable...but I have to be completely honest, stuart copeland holds his stick like that as does kenny aronoff and I wanted to be like them...but when I would play harder rock stuff I would often play regular...JJ goes back and forth and when I saw him not marry himself to one grip I decided I could do both too...hahahaha

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:45 AM
    Liked 797 Times in 382 Posts

Premium Member

I came here looking for the drummers thread and I found it. You're not wasting anyones time Southpaw.

I've played for around 20 years. After a near 5 year hiatus we're getting the band back together. We made it official today. I've missed playing so much. Sitting around mostly with a drum machine playing my guitar since disbanding our band back in 2003. After 10 years together it was time for a vacation. It's finally time for the 2nd coming.

Here's a kit I'm going to look at this week. This DDrum Dominion Maple Deacon Blue shell kit. After playing my trusted gun-metal gray TAMA for so many years I'm looking at something different.

I'll add a 10" and 15" tom up top and some crash/splash cymbals and a double-kick pedal.

Great to be getting back in the groove.

Hey southpaw. Study the various types of grip and use what works best for you. What you're most comfortable with and gives you the power and flexiblility you need. Mine varies. Mostly a loose matched grip.
    There's lots of good articles on the internet about gripping your drumsticks. Youtube vids too. Good luck!
    Last edited by Wruff_ajax; 01.27.08 at 08:23 PM.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default One Foot Out The Door

Hey all,

I'm curious... I was listening to "One Foot Out The Door" last night and I have a question for all of the drummers out there... At the beginning of the song when they do the opening with all of those weird sounds, (like distorted keys or something???), Alex is doing some funky shit on the HI-Hat. It's either muted or possibly sounds backwards??? I'm not a drummer but I'm curious as to what he's doing. Any info????

Thanks,

Ace
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wruff, thanks a ton for the positive feedback my man. Truly apprecialted, you too Broken. Maybe it will be slow going but at least we have some discussion going on about drumming.

I'm using a Jazz grip right now, but as Broken said in an earlier post, I just decided to go that route because I thought it looked cool as hell. But what can I say, I like it and shit, i've come a long way with it in just a month or two.

Wruff, that looks like a top notch kit you are getting there. What's that gonna' run you...$$, if you don't mind my askng. I paid six hundred for my Gretsch jazz setup, not including cymbals, small kit, but I figured after years of playing guitar, I wanted to go into this but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't get a year or so into this and give up...and have too many dollars invested.

Any tips from anyone on learning fills? Right now,I am still just doing rudiments, (alot) working on your basic one, two, three, (eighth notes mostly) on the hi hat, and snare, and bass drum, but I need to kick it up a bit. I'll try to post a pic of my set later. Wruff, and all, thanks again for the responses.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Posting in this forum is pretty much useless eh?? Sorry to have wasted time...for me and others. Wow.
    Sorry South.....I've just started to try my hand at playing and am a little too shy about posting being a sub-amateur. I do come here from time to time to see if I can glean any knowledge. I'm about as green as they come. Currently playing a Simmons SD5K digital kit given to me by Filthy150 after an incredible jam session at last year's TLW.

I'm still very much in the experimenting stages on just what I can do and how fast I can do it. Still have problems with timing and the kick pedal, so I have to really buckle down and train myself. Problem is, whenever I sit down to play.....I want to rock the fuck out and just have fun hitting the pads
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

Premium Member

Hey Southpaw. That kit will run me around $1,700 I think once I add the double-kick pedal, top toms, and quality cymbals and throne. More or less, but usually more than you thought once it's said and done.

Here's the actual kit.
    http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/dr...P1477C196.aspx

Fills. Repetition and practice is the thing for me Southpaw. Playing alone and also practicing with a fairly decent guitarist. Technique and endurance. You have to be in great drumming shape to play solid fills. Or anything real for that matter. Sustaining a high level for over an hour. Every day. If you take even a couple weeks off then you'll lose a step. Endurance is important. So this should be interesting getting back since I've taken about 5 years off.
    Technique depends on what style you're playing and I don't know what's yours. I tend to play very aggressively.

Look up "drum fill lessons" and stuff on youtube. Better watching and hearing than listening to my rambling. Here http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...m+fill+lessons

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Ventura View Post
    Hey all,

I'm curious... I was listening to "One Foot Out The Door" last night and I have a question for all of the drummers out there... At the beginning of the song when they do the opening with all of those weird sounds, (like distorted keys or something???), Alex is doing some funky shit on the HI-Hat. It's either muted or possibly sounds backwards??? I'm not a drummer but I'm curious as to what he's doing. Any info????

Thanks,

Ace
    Synthesizer (Ed), and Al a loudly miked and loose high hat. Maybe a couple of drum triggers in there, but I think it's just synth and drums. Haven't heard it for a while, but that sounds pretty right. Don't quote me on that.