Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Whammy Vs. Octave Pedal

Ok, I need an octave pedal that goes up and octave and also will go down an octave. I used to own an original analog Whammy pedal and it was GREAT. I no longer have it unfortunately which is a shame. I tried out a new Whammy Pedal today at Sam Ash and it was total crap. I have read the bad reviews about the Whammy pedal sounding robotic and they are true. The pedal actually had a very muddy warble to it and was the most unnatural sounding thing I have played through in a while. So now, I think I will just get a really nice octave pedal. I thought it would be cool to have the Whammy just for kicks but I have given up after today's bad experience. I am thinking about getting an Electro Harmonix octave pedal for $200. Seems like a lot ... but I want something great. Any other suggestions? I know BOSS has some good stuff too. Thanks everyone!
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Warmoth View Post
    Ok, I need an octave pedal that goes up and octave and also will go down an octave. I used to own an original analog Whammy pedal and it was GREAT. I no longer have it unfortunately which is a shame. I tried out a new Whammy Pedal today at Sam Ash and it was total crap. I have read the bad reviews about the Whammy pedal sounding robotic and they are true. The pedal actually had a very muddy warble to it and was the most unnatural sounding thing I have played through in a while. So now, I think I will just get a really nice octave pedal. I thought it would be cool to have the Whammy just for kicks but I have given up after today's bad experience. I am thinking about getting an Electro Harmonix octave pedal for $200. Seems like a lot ... but I want something great. Any other suggestions? I know BOSS has some good stuff too. Thanks everyone!
    Well, I mean that's hard to say, I've stepped on some of those old whammy's and I'm not gonna say I hate the sounds other guitarists get out of them - it's just a matter of personal preference, either throw on a whang bar or get the fuck out of town, that's how I feel. That's said, anybody could do a lot worse than tryin' any of Boss' gear. I just prefer the sweat and blood to the new/old artificial Ned Beatty served at Sunday supper sounds.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

I use the good old Boss OC-2. . .but it doesn't do the up octave. It does one down, and two down.

I usually just use the one down and keep the two down totally off.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I have used the OC-2, but very limite what I could do with it.

I am surprised the whammy sounds so bad now, it is used by the likes of vai and satch, I assumed it was the best out there.

I have a digitech dhp-5, that thru a midi expression pedal can recreate the whammy pedal, and it sounds great, but was produced a while back.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I love my Whammy II but I know what you're talking about.

If you're looking to go UP & DOWN an octave, you might try this:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...47&ParentId=94

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    I have used the OC-2, but very limite what I could do with it.

I am surprised the whammy sounds so bad now, it is used by the likes of vai and satch, I assumed it was the best out there.

I have a digitech dhp-5, that thru a midi expression pedal can recreate the whammy pedal, and it sounds great, but was produced a while back.
    They use the old ones which I've heard are drastically better then what's avalible now.
    J
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i use a whammy4 and love it, but saying that i know what u mean about it sounding robotic sometimes. i have found it doesnt like other modulation effects such as chorus, flange etc so if u are using them try turning them off while using the whammy.
    i tend to use it very sparingly though just for some added freakyness while i'm using both hands or to spice up a riff or chord progression.

i read a good review of the new jimi hendrix octavia reissue pedal but i'm not familiar with it and dont remember the specs...sorry
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!