Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:48 PM
    Liked 11,542 Times in 4,917 Posts

Default Warmoth Questions

So I think I'm gonna sell one of my old Kramers and put together a Warmoth EVH-type guitar for myself.

What is everyone's feeling on their stuff? I have been looking at their site all day and saw a couple finished bodies I liked and I was just going to get an unfinished Strat-head neck for it. I like rear-routed guitars and they had a couple dye finishes already made that looked nice.

For someone that has gotten a body from them, it was hard to tell, do they drill the strap pole holes for you?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While I've never purchased a body from them, as an indication of quality and workmanship, I can tell you that their necks kick ass. I bought a short-scale conversion neck from them, for my tele, that is my all-time favorite. With the short-scale and jumbo stainless steel frets, the bends I can get out of it are insane! I also have a short-scale strat conversion neck on a Karmaer Pacer body that I got off eBay, which is really nice.

The necks aren't exactly "unfinished". Warmoth seals them before they leave the factory. But the do feel like an unfinished neck. Also, go with the tilted strat headstock. It looks really cool and eliminates the need for string-trees. And stainless steel frets are the shit and worth the extra $20 or whatever they charge for the upgrade.
    Last edited by Otis5150; 01.11.08 at 01:37 PM.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

I'm probably going to get an unfinished neck, because that's what I really want. I'm worried it may warp, but I keep my guitars in a good temperature environment so I am hoping it will be OK.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I'm probably going to get an unfinished neck, because that's what I really want. I'm worried it may warp, but I keep my guitars in a good temperature environment so I am hoping it will be OK.
    Warmoth won't sell you one, even if they tell you it's unfinished it's still sealed. Otherwise they wouldn't be able offer a warranty. But their "unfinished" necks feel unfinished. I haven't had a problem with mine. Just keep it oiled.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Cool cool.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

So I think I'm gonna sell one of my old Kramers and put together a Warmoth EVH-type guitar for myself.

What is everyone's feeling on their stuff? I have been looking at their site all day and saw a couple finished bodies I liked and I was just going to get an unfinished Strat-head neck for it. I like rear-routed guitars and they had a couple dye finishes already made that looked nice.

For someone that has gotten a body from them, it was hard to tell, do they drill the strap pole holes for you?
    I bought mine over 12 years ago, so it may not apply now, but they didn't drill the strap holes at that time. Be sure you've got your order right, however, because I requested an unfinished VW body- quilted Maple, and they sent me a clear-coat finished VW body and charged me for it....$300 more than my original order. It was a beautiful quilt and the finish was better than I could have done at the time, but they were typical assholes when I called them to complain about the mix-up.
    Last edited by jimmyw; 01.11.08 at 02:16 PM.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150 View Post
    Warmoth won't sell you one, even if they tell you it's unfinished it's still sealed. Otherwise they wouldn't be able offer a warranty. But their "unfinished" necks feel unfinished. I haven't had a problem with mine. Just keep it oiled.
    They actually sent me an unfinished neck, but that was years ago and I did finish it with nitrocelluose because I had seen what happens to unfinished necks and I wanted it to hold up better than that. It's still straight as an arrow.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.23.14 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a jackson soloist style body made a couple years ago. It is awesome in finish and quality. I had to drill the strap holes and the floyd spring claw screw holes as well.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Shit I forgot about the Floyd claw holes. Yeah those to. Well I emailed them to see if they'll do them for extra, so we'll see.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Warmoth

Shit I forgot about the Floyd claw holes. Yeah those to. Well I emailed them to see if they'll do them for extra, so we'll see.

Hey Brett - Warmoth hooked me up with a Tele 3 yrs ago> The neck was maple unfinished (they told me the warranty would be waived by going unfinished)
    I was ok with that, as the guitar is awesome and the unfinished neck was exactly what I wanted
    I tend to really like the feel of necks that way.
    The folks @ Warmoth were great to deal with (totally professional) and the prices were very reasonable too.
    Long story short, you can't go wrong with them... Enjoy CV

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I consider Warmoth to be the best of all the after-market custom shops. Their prices are high, but you pay for KNOWING the piece you're buying is top-notch in craftsmanship and wood selection.

The VW quilt body I bought (the one I was looking to get a neck for) came pre-drilled for everything but strap buttons--neck, original Floyd posts, trem claw, volume and tone, pickup selector.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Oh they don't drill the Floyd posts either??
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Oh they don't drill the Floyd posts either??
    No, they drilled for Floyd posts. We're talking about the same thing, aren't we?

Here's the photo:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Ok I misread it, so they drilled everything but the strap buttons and the trem claw. Correct?

Did you do the humbucker routs as if they would be screwed directly to the wood? They have two humbucker routing options, I would assume the screwed-to-wood option has a shallower rout.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Ok I misread it, so they drilled everything but the strap buttons and the trem claw. Correct?

Did you do the humbucker routs as if they would be screwed directly to the wood? They have two humbucker routing options, I would assume the screwed-to-wood option has a shallower rout.
    You're weirding me out tonight, Brett. I know I've had a couple of beers, but I'm getting damn confused.

The only thing that wasn't pre-drilled was the strap buttons. Everything else was drilled for, including the trem claw (and the holes in my head). I imagine you can talk directly with Warmoth on the phone and explain exactly what you want. I've always been under the impression they're easy to communicate with that way.

The pickup routes on my VW body are too deep for direct mounting. I plan to make wood shims for the cavities so I can mount "directly" to the body.

I bought this body off eBay. I've actually stayed in contact with the guy, as he is also a guitar freak. He ordered it from Warmoth unfinished and with all the drilling and routes, then decided he didn't have the patience to dye and finish it. I would've had the pickup cavities routed more shallow if I'd ordered it myself, and I also would have put the volume knob location about an inch under the bridge humbucker (like EVH). I'm going to drill for a new volume knob and make the other hole a two-way switch for a coil tap.
    Last edited by AT; 01.11.08 at 11:21 PM.