Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Your "good" Eddie?

So, there seems to be a wide range of opinion regarding Ed's current ability/playing level. Given this, what, in your opinion, was the last year of seeing "good" Eddie, i.e. he was 100% on his game all the time, and at one with/in total command of his instrument?

Ed seems to be having good days and bad days on the current tour, but I think most would agree that even on his good days, he still does not play to a level that he used to. That's not to say I was displeased with the show I've seen so far (Charlotte). On the contrary, I was completely satisfied and thought it was money well spent. I just don't think it's realistic to think that Ed will ever truly regain his old form.

Discuss!

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Ten years ago.
    I never really thought about it before but that's a long time.
    The 1998 tour was the last time I trusted Ed to play well. There were times before that when I didn't like his sound or his choice of notes; or I thought he was repeating himself and "phoning it in", but those were artistic problems or matters of personal taste. I never doubted that he would pull it off.

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

10.19.08 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Same ole shit. I say, take what your getting and be happy about it. At least we get to seem him play again. Theres still hope for new music.
    The guys getting old. I`m only 42 and I couldnt go out and play 2 hours every other night and not get burnt out and tired. I'd suck on some nights too.

We just hold Ed to higher standards as our guitar hero. Some day, all the people bitching about Ed missing the 3rd trill of the 4th bar of such and such song will be glad they got to see him again on this tour. At this point it has to be more about the band and the songs and less focus on Eds perfection.

Now, I wouldnt tell you to be happy about paying $100 per ticket to see his tour, but it is what it is. Oh yeah, and this stage setup for this tour is an ABORTION.
    Totally useless waste of good seating.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    I say, take what your getting and be happy about it.
    As I said in my original post, I was completely satisfied with the show I saw. I'm not a musician, so I can't really speak as to which notes/chords, etc. Ed may or may not be playing correctly. Like you, I'm just happy to see them out and touring again. I have a suspicion this may be the last we hear from them in a long time (if ever again), so I'm enjoying this tour as kind of a last hurrah, so to speak. I'll be seeing them once more in February, then beyond that, who knows? And yes, the current stage setup is way underutilized!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 06:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw the band in early December and I'd say that Ed was 90%. I really had no complaints, looking at the entire concert as a package (vocals, playing, sound, visual). Ed's in his 50's and has faced substance abuse and a whole host of other personal problems...all of which have obviously taken their toll on the guy physically, mentally, emotionally, etc.

It all depends on the individual and what they're doing. Buddy Guy is a good example. The last time I went to see him, he was absolutely amazing. And he's in his 70's. True, different kind of music and probably a lighter touring schedule, but his ability doesn't seem to have diminished at all over the years.

On the whole, it seems like Ed's playing well and the band is really tight (at least most nights). Like was posted above, I'm just happy to have the band out there playing...I never thought I'd see it again.
    DEAD OR ALIVE!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 180 Times in 91 Posts

I think Ed sounds great on this tour. I have no complaints. I just go on what I feel when I hear him play and I get that same old adrenaline rush when I hear him play that I always had. I try not to think, I just go on feel.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    Same ole shit. I say, take what your getting and be happy about it. At least we get to seem him play again. Theres still hope for new music.
    The guys getting old. I`m only 42 and I couldnt go out and play 2 hours every other night and not get burnt out and tired. I'd suck on some nights too.

We just hold Ed to higher standards as our guitar hero. Some day, all the people bitching about Ed missing the 3rd trill of the 4th bar of such and such song will be glad they got to see him again on this tour. At this point it has to be more about the band and the songs and less focus on Eds perfection.

First of all, at the press conference the spokesman for the band told all of us that they want to be judged harshly. That this is not a nostalgia tour, it is a new band. So what are we supposed to do?

Second, this is not an issue of nit-picking. This is about Ed making big, obvious mistakes. He gets lost in songs, he comes in at the wrong time, and sometimes he can't execute a single one of the famous licks he's been playing for thirty years. This isn't like he slips up on one or two notes, these are total train wrecks.

If you go watch your favorite football team and the coach stupidly forgets that you can't call two time outs in a row and loses the game for the team, do you sit back and say "Oh well, at least we got to see the team play?"

If you go to your favorite restaurant and the cook totally burns your steak, do you say, "Oh, he's just tired?"

How bad does it have to get before you can complain? If you call yourself a fan, are you not allowed to complain at all?

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:28 PM
    Liked 547 Times in 381 Posts

I dont care as its still better than i can imagine.

Last Online

06.15.13 @ 05:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I thought he fuckin' rocked.
    I like my coffee like I like my women, filled with booze.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

10.23.17 @ 09:23 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 64 Posts

When I saw the III tour in Boston I thought that Mike,Ed and Al were the best rythm section on the planet. They were so tight and they just sounded inspiring to me. Prior to 1998 I never once had a doubt in my mind that Eddie could play that stuff standing on his head. It was never a worry if I was going to see a bad show or not. It was just wondering if I would see a stock show or a "magical" show.

I saw the 5150 tour in Worcester Ma. when I was 15 and it was magical. Something I will never forget. I have tickests to see VH here in Manchester NH in March and I am wondering how the vibe will be. I am going to think positive for this. I've never really gotten over the whole Mike thing but I won't rain on anyone elses parade and I won't let it keep me from having a good time. Wolfie must be under a pretty good amount of pressure and he seems to be handling it well.
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:28 AM
    Liked 2,051 Times in 665 Posts

He was GREAT at MSG!

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Yes, Ed sucks dead donkey dicks playing guitar. He should stick to keyboards. He should give it up.

Cmon...he's Eddie Freakin Van Halen. He plays better than anyone on this site...I'm convinced of that. And, if not, who cares....anyone else have millions of albums sold and currently on a 40 city tour? NO

He plays great. Is he perfect? Is he in 1984 shape? No and neither are you.

Thank you.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    Yes, Ed sucks dead donkey dicks playing guitar. He should stick to keyboards. He should give it up.

Cmon...he's Eddie Freakin Van Halen. He plays better than anyone on this site...I'm convinced of that. And, if not, who cares....anyone else have millions of albums sold and currently on a 40 city tour? NO

He plays great. Is he perfect? Is he in 1984 shape? No and neither are you.

Thank you.
    Eddie was born with a gift, and nobody gives a shit how many albums he's sold or how many arena tours, his success is no measure for anyone elses. EVH being a better guitar player than a bunch of people on a public forum does not make them unable to critique him. If anything, they are well suited because they've followed his career high and low.

I completely agree it's stupid to expect him to be in 1984 shape, but could he be better? Absolutely. From what I've heard and the clips I've seen, he is fairly erratic, way better than 2004, but the immense abuse he levied on himself leads me to believe 1998 was the last time he was at his absolute peak.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    Cmon...he's Eddie Freakin Van Halen. He plays better than anyone on this site...I'm convinced of that.
    I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

03.29.08 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah i'm 20 and have seen eddie once and that was back in 04 on the 2nd night in St.louis with sammy as lead. He was pretty buzzed that night and it was sad that he admitted it. Even though he was buzzed and i feel stupid to say this but i really enjoyed the show because i thought van halen or van hagar would never tour again because of eddie, i was got to see van hagar in st.louis prolly for the last time. i know eddie was buzzed but i've seen other worst shows than the one i saw. Also sammy said they kicked ass that night. i'm hoping to see eddie in st.louis march 30th which i think would be better because he's been through rehab and a lot of shit. That's why he was so bad on the 04 tour metal and personal issues. the guy's been through alcohlism tounge cancer, divorce, and band issues. he's been through hell and i still think he's one of the best rock n roll guitarist ever.