Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

Default Revisiting Van Halen-Live Right Here, Right Now

I've got a pretty heavy workday ahead of me but I've decided to sit back while I'm working and revisit something that I have not listened to in a Looooooooooooong time, Van Halen's Live Right Here Right Now.

Basically going in my feelings are that the guys kinda dropped the ball on this one, it just seems to "put together" to me. At the time this was recorded Van Halen-believe it or not-was a pretty spontanious band, they did alot of covers and jams and while some people can't get over the whole "they didn't play enough Dave stuff" they generally put on a pretty good show. I think this generally is missing the energy of LWAN but since I have not listened to it for awhile I'm gonna try to drop all my pre concieved opinions and give it a fresh start....

I'll update this as I go if anyone is interested.....

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

06.27.12 @ 07:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For some reason I always enjoy discussing this album, probably because its one of only 2 VH albums (the other being "3") that I almost never listen to. I'm one of those guys who found LRHRN to be a bit dissapointing, and I'll admit alot of it has to do with "Not enough DLR era tunes." Then again, that was always my beef with the Hagar era in concert. I'm not a Sam era hater, I actually love it, but I hate that they practically ignored the DLR era in concert during Sam's tenure.

I also don't like the sound of the album - it seems way too processed if that makes any sense. Listen to the riff at the beginning of "Ain't Talkin'" - there is absolutely nothing raw about it. It sounds muddy and flat to me. That riff needs to be so raw and alive. Same with the keyboards kicking off "When It's Love," "Dreams," and "Jump." They sound too quiet.

My last beef with the album is the song selection from the Hagar era itself. Did we need "Man On A Mission," "Spanked" and "In 'N out?" Should've switched one of those for "5150" or "Summer Nights." And please lose "One Way..." Imagine if we had ANYTHING but that.

Now there are some songs on there that I think are killer versions, like "Judgement Day," "Runaround," and "Best Of Both Worlds" is pretty good. I also dug the versions of "Right Now" and "Why Can't..."

I enjoyed Eddie's solo on the album, but I thought the one on "LWAN" was even better.

So there it is - my BS opinion on LRHRN.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, Van Halen III
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Fire In The Hole
    Last Online

04.30.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

yeah and the DVD is even worse. The complete FUCK album is on there and its missing many great tunes.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:32 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

My biggest beef was with the mixing, Ed's guitar seemed too faint, not loud enough.

The video was chopped so much it was obviously taken on numerous nights and sliced together.

The song selection could of have been better as was stated above. My least favorite release from VH.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:02 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

I don't think it holds a candle to LWAN though I think the RHRN version of 1 Way to Rock is spectacular.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:09 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

LWAN is better in many ways. The most important was that it was one show not two spliced together. I think there were some songs on RHRN that should not have been on it. "Man on a Mission" and "In & Out" are good songs but I would have showcased something else.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

The RHRN DVD is the worst music DVD I've ever witnessed in my life. The live album does nothing to capture the energy or vibe of a VH performance.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:21 PM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Padre Atilio View Post
    yeah and the DVD is even worse. The complete FUCK album is on there and its missing many great tunes.
    for one, they weren't a nostalgia band yet. and when you're not a nostalgia band your goal isn't to cover the bases..or have a greatest hits tour. You don't have to have every song that people like in there. It rightfully heavily featured the new album. and then other tunes before that but there's simply not enough time in a concert to cover everything.....so OBVIOUSLY it will be missing many great tunes. You can't play 'em all. It's a snapshot of Van Halen in 1992. Plain and simple. That's to say nothing of the quality of the album or dvd...just the set list.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 2,229 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Mark me down as someone who loves the VH version of "There's Only One Way to Rock."

I just love the fills Eddie adds the song. Add on top of that the dueling guitars in the solo, and it just screams Rock & Roll.

As for the rest of the album, I prefer to look at it as a snippet of time (hence all the FUCK songs), rather than a VH Best of Live album. It may be polished--maybe a little too much--but for those that didn't get to witness the tour, it's a passable representation of what you would've heard/seen.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Padre Atilio View Post
    You got that right. I like the FUCK album, but there was so much better material that could have been presented on the DVD.

Last Online

06.11.16 @ 04:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The worst part of the RHRN DVD is that not only is filmed on different nights (the clothes are a giveaway - couldn't they get them to the cleaners to use for two nights in a row) it also has footage filmed during soundcheck and not live. Take a look you'll see on certain tunes that they are only shot in close-up or from very far away (inserted) so you can't tell what song it is. No crowd appears.

Also, I've read interviews that they went through all the live tapes from 86-92 to put together that album. Sounds to me that everything on there is from the FUCK tour.

A waste.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

got 3 songs in and all of a sudden I found out there's letting a bunch of people go where I work...no IPOD for me today...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen-VH III
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible
    Last Online

05.19.09 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr5115 View Post
    My biggest beef was with the mixing, Ed's guitar seemed too faint, not loud enough.
    Eddie was quoted as saying in an interview after the release that because of electrical issues his rig had to be plugged in from an adjacent building and he wasn't able to get his tone.
    I always thought and wondered maybe he was "venting" his fustration during his solo when he's doing pinch harmonics in front of his cabinets.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen-VH III
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible
    Last Online

05.19.09 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cooler5150 View Post
    My last beef with the album is the song selection from the Hagar era itself. Did we need "Man On A Mission," "Spanked" and "In 'N out?" Should've switched one of those for "5150" or "Summer Nights." And please lose "One Way..." Imagine if we had ANYTHING but that.
    I think they were showcasing that album hence the title. They commented on that in interviews saying "this is where we are, right here, right now." Also Sam and Ed stated how good just about every song on For Unlawful sounded done live.
    I was thinking they didn't want to repeat any songs they did prior on LWAN. Everything brand new for the new live video and still hold it's own. Just my thoughts.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For all of it's faults, it is the only official live cd released by the band and it was at a time when everyone was genuinely having fun. So despite the issues with the disc and video, I find it good to go back and listen to my favorite band in a better place and time. Brings me back to that specific time in my life and allows me to fondly look back on those memories. I can now look back and see how I so easily took for granted a functional, forward moving, ass kicking Van Halen. It's all about the nostalgia for me.