Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 2,218 Times in 1,118 Posts

Premium Member

Default Eddie stole from Ace Frehley?

While perusing over at stltoday.com in their forums, a topic was started on "Top 5 Rock Guitarists of All Time"--always a sure bet to bring out the retards.

Anyway, when the third or fourth guy included Eddie on the list (a no brainer in most of our opinions, I know), some guy comes on there talking about how Ace Frehley tapped before Eddie (like 73,74) and used "pinched harmonics." Well, pinched harmonics stupidity aside, anyone else know more about this?

I know Eddie didn't "invent" right handed hammer-ons (different than tapping), but he is certainly the pioneer in popular music. So what's the deal? Is Ace Frehley being robbed of his credit, or is this guy just a Kiss-ass?
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.19.12 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    While perusing over at stltoday.com in their forums, a topic was started on "Top 5 Rock Guitarists of All Time"--always a sure bet to bring out the retards.

Anyway, when the third or fourth guy included Eddie on the list (a no brainer in most of our opinions, I know), some guy comes on there talking about how Ace Frehley tapped before Eddie (like 73,74) and used "pinched harmonics." Well, pinched harmonics stupidity aside, anyone else know more about this?

I know Eddie didn't "invent" right handed hammer-ons (different than tapping), but he is certainly the pioneer in popular music. So what's the deal? Is Ace Frehley being robbed of his credit, or is this guy just a Kiss-ass?
    Just sounds like some of the "Kiss Army Retards".

Ace Frehley and Eddie Van Halen are like oil and frozen yogurt!

Saying Eddie sole from Ace is like ME saying that Jimmy Paige stole from me!
    "France has neither winter, nor summer, nor morals. France is miserable because it is filled with Frenchmen, and Frenchmen are miserable because they live in France." - Mark Twain

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

The times I saw Ace performing with Kiss in the seventies, he'd use his pick to "finger" notes with his right hand occasionally while holding a note with his left. There was no skill involved, in fact his choice of notes was rather random. The "effect" rendered was more of an annoying plinking noise than any musical articulation.

Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top used the trick as well, yet with considerably more taste.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 2,218 Times in 1,118 Posts

Premium Member

That's what I thought. I was always under the impression that guitarists used to hammer-on a single note, but they wouldn't actually bar a phrase and rapidly tap out notes like Eddie did.

I should've figured the guy was an ignoramous when he said Eddie thought he invented pinched harmonics. What a douche.

If you really want to be flabbergasted, you should check out the actual thread. There was one guy lobbying for Kirk Hammet *slaps forehead*

Then you have people who would go with:
    Tom Morello
    Jimi Hendrix
    Buckethead
    Slash
    Angus Young

Someone hangs out at Guitar Center too much
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

tom morello is a bad motherfucker....

Last Online

07.27.11 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd but Gene Simmons stole from Eddie and tried to relay the technique to Ace. That argument is made because Ace's solo on Kiss Alive 2 came out a couple of years before Eruption. But remember, Gene did the VH demo's, Ed turned his back to the crowd when tapping...

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember as a kid, before I bought VH1 and was a "Kiss-tard" myself, reading a review in one of the magazines (Creem or Circus I think) about how EVH was an Ace rip off (albeit more proficient than Ace). Of course, Kiss was at their height of popularity and VH was this new, unknown band from LA. I had that preconception right up until I listened to VH1 for the 1st time. Then I thought "what the hell are they talkin' aboot".

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 07:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Didn't Ed and Alex help Gene do the demo for "Christine Sixteen"? I remember reading that the guitar solo that Ace did was extremely similar, if not the same, as the young guitarist put on tape initially. I would love to hear the original demo, maybe the next Kiss compilation...

BTW, my son, God bless him, recently had similar debate on his school bus with his misguided friend about VH being a Kiss rip-off band. My boy got to stay up a little later that night
    <Insert favorite VH song lyrics here>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:49 PM
    Liked 11,546 Times in 4,919 Posts

Lots of people tapped before Eddie, and before Ace Frehley (if he was even doing it, which I really question). Ace Frehley is an awful player, I can't believe that tool would attempt to lay claim to anything except putting on makeup. He's a mediocre lead guitarist, who copped Ed's demo licks for "Christine Sixteen" almost note for note.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1 Thru 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.17.09 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Man, there's a lotta' ACE bashing going on here. Sure, He's not in the same league as Ed, but c'mon guys, even Dimebag gave props to the man. He played very memorable leads and was the first to influence me to wanna' play guitar with his solo on ALIVE II. Ed sealed the deal with Eruption.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,114 Times in 8,948 Posts

In my humble opinion it was the popularity of Kiss that made guys want to pick up the guitar and play, not Ace's playing on its own merits. There is nothing special about his playing. I am sure that he is capable, but saying that Ed copied him is a total falsehood, the two are light years apart in skill level.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

You always have to give a certain amount of credit for attitude and stage presence, which is why I always mention Ace and Angus Young when I'm talking about my favorite rock guitarists.

The biggest problem with Ace is that a guy named Brian Kulick played many of the famous Ace guitar parts for the records and then taught them to Ace so he could play them live. (Brian also did the fixes for the live albums.) So when people are complimenting Ace, they're actually complimenting Brian.
    Ace was too busy doing concerts, interviews, photo shoots, booze, and pills. (Not necessarily in that order.)

Don't read this.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    The biggest problem with Ace is that a guy named Brian Kulick played many of the famous Ace guitar parts for the records and then taught them to Ace so he could play them live. (Brian also did the fixes for the live albums.) So when people are complimenting Ace, they're actually complimenting Brian.
    Ace was too busy doing concerts, interviews, photo shoots, booze, and pills. (Not necessarily in that order.)
    It broke my heart to discover that one of my favorite Ace solos (on the John Bonham drum sounding "Larger Than Life") was in reality played by Rick Derringer.

I will be further appalled if I ever learn that he did not play the extremely cool short solo on "I Was Made For Lovin' You".
    Last edited by chefcraig; 01.11.08 at 05:28 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

I've always had a soft spot for Ace Frehley. I love that lazy, sloppy phrasing. I had heard about Kulick playing his parts, but I'd thought that was towards the end of Ace's tenure when the booze and drugs were taking their toll. The Dynasty album in particular doesn't sound like him, and it's Vinnie Vincent on Creatures of the night.

There are left hand pull offs on Alive II, and plenty of other guitarists tapped in form or another (Billy Gibbons, Steve Hackett, even Brian May on News of the World) before Van Halen, but Eddie's innovation was how it was implemented and integrated into his style, rather than being a gimmick.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I will be further appalled if I ever learn that he did not play the extremely cool short solo on "I Was Made For Lovin' You".
    That's the first time I've seen the words "extremely cool" in the same sentence with "I Was Made For Loving You", but anyway...

Anything from that period, assume that Ace didn't play on it. Peter, too.

Don't read this.