Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 80
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default When will the madness end??!!

    This is just more of the usual, absolutely retarded "offensive" remark resulting in someone being taken off the air...and of course, Al fucking Sharpton has to make his little cameo...


    http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/new...v=ap&type=lgns

    Anchor suspended 2 weeks for "lynch" comment
    By DOUG FERGUSON, AP Golf Writer
    January 9, 2008

    Tiger Woods tees off on the fifth hole during the second round of the Target World Challenge golf tournament at Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, Calif., in this Dec. 14, 2007 file photo. Golf Channel suspended anchor Kelly Tilghman for two weeks on Wednesday, Jan. 9 , 2008, for saying last week that young players who wanted to challenge Woods should "lynch him in a back alley."

    HONOLULU (AP) -- Golf Channel suspended anchor Kelly Tilghman for two weeks on Wednesday for saying last week that young players who wanted to challenge Tiger Woods should "lynch him in a back alley."

    Tilghman was laughing during the exchange Friday with analyst Nick Faldo at the Mercedes-Benz Championship, and Woods' agent at IMG said he didn't think there was any ill intent.

    But the comments became prevalent on news shows Wednesday, and the Rev. Al Sharpton joined the fray by demanding she be fired immediately. Golf Channel didn't know who would replace Tilghman in the booth this week at the Sony Open or next week at the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic.

    "There is simply no place on our network for offensive language like this," Golf Channel said in a statement.

    Tilghman became golf's first female anchor last year when the PGA Tour signed a 15-year deal in which Golf Channel broadcasts the first three events of the year, weekday coverage of all tour events, and full coverage of the Fall Series and opposite-field events.

    The suspension ends in time for the Buick Invitational on Jan. 24, when Woods will make his 2008 debut.

    Faldo and Tilghman were discussing young players who could challenge the world's No. 1 player toward the end of Friday's broadcast at Kapalua when Faldo suggested that "to take Tiger on, maybe they should just gang up for a while."

    "Lynch him in a back alley," Tilghman replied.

    "While we believe that Kelly's choice of words was inadvertent and that she did not intend them in an offensive manner, the words were hurtful and grossly inappropriate," Golf Channel said in its statement. "Consequently, we have decided to suspend Kelly for two weeks, effective immediately."

    Woods and Tilghman have known each other 12 years. She was picked to host a club demonstration with Woods in south Florida when he talked about new products from Nike Golf.

    Tilghman was helped when Mark Steinberg, Woods' agent at IMG, said it was a non-issue and considered the matter "case closed."

    "Tiger and Kelly are friends, and Tiger has a great deal of respect for Kelly," Steinberg said Tuesday night in a statement released by Golf Channel. "Regardless of the choice of words used, we know unequivocally that there was no ill-intent in her comments."

    Tilghman had said in a previous statement she apologized directly to Woods, and the immediate support from Woods' camp was critical.

    After Woods won the 1997 Masters at age 21 to become its youngest champion, Fuzzy Zoeller referred to him as "that little boy," and suggested that Woods not serve fried chicken or collard greens, "or whatever the hell they serve," at the Champions Dinner.

    Tiger Woods watches his drive at the Target World Challenge golf tournament at Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, Calif., on Dec. 12, 2007. Golf Channel suspended anchor Kelly Tilghman for two weeks on Wednesday for saying last week that young players who wanted to challenge Woods should 'lynch him in a back alley.'
    AP - Jan 9, 9:14 pm EST
    More Photos
    Woods, who had a different management team in his first full season, did not respond for three days to Zoeller's apology, and it took Zoeller years to recover from the fallout.

    Tilghman's comment made the rounds Wednesday on TV shows such as CNN's Headline News, and it was prominently discussed on blogs and message boards on the Internet. It also was a topic on the practice range at the Sony Open.

    "I'm sure Kelly wishes she never said that," Jim Furyk said. "I haven't spoken with Tiger, but I've been told that they've had their talk and they've discussed it. Anything I say is kind of just like pouring salt in the wound at this point. Obviously, she would love to not have said that and for it not to be news. I'm glad that her and Tiger spoke."

    Fred Funk only heard about the comment Wednesday morning.

    "There was no ill intent at all," he said. "I think it was just a slip, and they said that Tiger has already forgiven her. I think when you're in the TV tower for that many hours, you're going to wish you didn't say some things probably, and that was one thing that slipped out. I think you've got to give them a little grace.

    "Her integrity, how Kelly is respected out here, is pretty good. I think Tiger really likes Kelly, so that helped squash it. Because Tiger could have run off with that if he took it the wrong way. But he didn't, so that was good."

    Before her suspension was announced, Sharpton spoke earlier on CNN's "Prime News" and continued to push for her firing, saying he wanted to meet with Golf Channel because the comments were "an insult to all blacks."

    "Lynching is not murder in general, it's not assault in general," Sharpton said. "It's a specific racial term that this women should be held accountable for. What she said is racist. Whether she's a racist ... is immaterial. She's a broadcaster. The channel has to be accountable to the public."

  2. #2
    Good Enough pal1800's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.30.07
    Age
    46
    Location
    Mandeville, LA
    Posts
    1,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

    Too hard to choose
    Last Online

    06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    This is just more of the usual, absolutely retarded "offensive" remark resulting in someone being taken off the air...and of course, Al fucking Sharpton has to make his little cameo...


    http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/new...v=ap&type=lgns

    Anchor suspended 2 weeks for "lynch" comment
    By DOUG FERGUSON, AP Golf Writer
    January 9, 2008

    Tiger Woods tees off on the fifth hole during the second round of the Target World Challenge golf tournament at Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, Calif., in this Dec. 14, 2007 file photo. Golf Channel suspended anchor Kelly Tilghman for two weeks on Wednesday, Jan. 9 , 2008, for saying last week that young players who wanted to challenge Woods should "lynch him in a back alley."

    HONOLULU (AP) -- Golf Channel suspended anchor Kelly Tilghman for two weeks on Wednesday for saying last week that young players who wanted to challenge Tiger Woods should "lynch him in a back alley."

    Tilghman was laughing during the exchange Friday with analyst Nick Faldo at the Mercedes-Benz Championship, and Woods' agent at IMG said he didn't think there was any ill intent.

    But the comments became prevalent on news shows Wednesday, and the Rev. Al Sharpton joined the fray by demanding she be fired immediately. Golf Channel didn't know who would replace Tilghman in the booth this week at the Sony Open or next week at the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic.

    "There is simply no place on our network for offensive language like this," Golf Channel said in a statement.

    Tilghman became golf's first female anchor last year when the PGA Tour signed a 15-year deal in which Golf Channel broadcasts the first three events of the year, weekday coverage of all tour events, and full coverage of the Fall Series and opposite-field events.

    The suspension ends in time for the Buick Invitational on Jan. 24, when Woods will make his 2008 debut.

    Faldo and Tilghman were discussing young players who could challenge the world's No. 1 player toward the end of Friday's broadcast at Kapalua when Faldo suggested that "to take Tiger on, maybe they should just gang up for a while."

    "Lynch him in a back alley," Tilghman replied.

    "While we believe that Kelly's choice of words was inadvertent and that she did not intend them in an offensive manner, the words were hurtful and grossly inappropriate," Golf Channel said in its statement. "Consequently, we have decided to suspend Kelly for two weeks, effective immediately."

    Woods and Tilghman have known each other 12 years. She was picked to host a club demonstration with Woods in south Florida when he talked about new products from Nike Golf.

    Tilghman was helped when Mark Steinberg, Woods' agent at IMG, said it was a non-issue and considered the matter "case closed."

    "Tiger and Kelly are friends, and Tiger has a great deal of respect for Kelly," Steinberg said Tuesday night in a statement released by Golf Channel. "Regardless of the choice of words used, we know unequivocally that there was no ill-intent in her comments."

    Tilghman had said in a previous statement she apologized directly to Woods, and the immediate support from Woods' camp was critical.

    After Woods won the 1997 Masters at age 21 to become its youngest champion, Fuzzy Zoeller referred to him as "that little boy," and suggested that Woods not serve fried chicken or collard greens, "or whatever the hell they serve," at the Champions Dinner.

    Tiger Woods watches his drive at the Target World Challenge golf tournament at Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, Calif., on Dec. 12, 2007. Golf Channel suspended anchor Kelly Tilghman for two weeks on Wednesday for saying last week that young players who wanted to challenge Woods should 'lynch him in a back alley.'
    AP - Jan 9, 9:14 pm EST
    More Photos
    Woods, who had a different management team in his first full season, did not respond for three days to Zoeller's apology, and it took Zoeller years to recover from the fallout.

    Tilghman's comment made the rounds Wednesday on TV shows such as CNN's Headline News, and it was prominently discussed on blogs and message boards on the Internet. It also was a topic on the practice range at the Sony Open.

    "I'm sure Kelly wishes she never said that," Jim Furyk said. "I haven't spoken with Tiger, but I've been told that they've had their talk and they've discussed it. Anything I say is kind of just like pouring salt in the wound at this point. Obviously, she would love to not have said that and for it not to be news. I'm glad that her and Tiger spoke."

    Fred Funk only heard about the comment Wednesday morning.

    "There was no ill intent at all," he said. "I think it was just a slip, and they said that Tiger has already forgiven her. I think when you're in the TV tower for that many hours, you're going to wish you didn't say some things probably, and that was one thing that slipped out. I think you've got to give them a little grace.

    "Her integrity, how Kelly is respected out here, is pretty good. I think Tiger really likes Kelly, so that helped squash it. Because Tiger could have run off with that if he took it the wrong way. But he didn't, so that was good."

    Before her suspension was announced, Sharpton spoke earlier on CNN's "Prime News" and continued to push for her firing, saying he wanted to meet with Golf Channel because the comments were "an insult to all blacks."

    "Lynching is not murder in general, it's not assault in general," Sharpton said. "It's a specific racial term that this women should be held accountable for. What she said is racist. Whether she's a racist ... is immaterial. She's a broadcaster. The channel has to be accountable to the public."
    Sharpton should come down to New Orleans and lend his support in stopping the 200 or so black men that murdered 210 people(almost all black) in 2007. Of course, that would not fit into his agenda. Does everyone realize that the civil rights movement has been reduced to taking up the causes of black criminals that they feel were not treated equally. Not that they are innocent, we know they did it, but we want a different result regarding the sentence. I wonder if this is what Dr. King invisioned?

    Who watches golf anyway

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    Sharpton should come down to New Orleans and lend his support in stopping the 200 or so black men that murdered 210 people(almost all black) in 2007. Of course, that would not fit into his agenda. Does everyone realize that the civil rights movement has been reduced to taking up the causes of black criminals that they feel were not treated equally. Not that they are innocent, we know they did it, but we want a different result regarding the sentence. I wonder if this is what Dr. King invisioned?

    Who watches golf anyway
    i like what Obama has to say about what the civil rights movement has become...

    http://www.barackobama.com/2007/03/0...march_comm.php

  4. #4
    Baluchitherium loveevhsince79's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.22.04
    Location
    Cols, OH
    Posts
    5,420
    Last Online

    10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Perhaps I'm ignorant on the issue or the language but I did not know that the word lynch was race specific. I mean this is what Webster's dictionary has in it:

    lynch (lnch)
    tr.v. lynched, lynch∑ing, lynch∑es
    To execute without due process of law, especially to hang, as by a mob.

    There are enough issues with regards to race that we should not have to invent problems where there are none. I hear "lynch mob mentality" used with regards to a lot of different issues and never once do I think of it only applying to a certain race. I think of it more as citizen's taking the law in their own hands like a vigilante.

  5. #5
    Sinner's Swing! Wickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.04
    Age
    49
    Location
    Big "D"
    Posts
    3,195
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

    07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Likes
    7
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    I really wish the media would just start ignoring Sharpton...
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

  6. #6
    Good Enough pal1800's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.30.07
    Age
    46
    Location
    Mandeville, LA
    Posts
    1,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

    Too hard to choose
    Last Online

    06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    i like what Obama has to say about what the civil rights movement has become...

    http://www.barackobama.com/2007/03/0...march_comm.php
    That was a long read. Obama is a darn good public speaker and he obviously connects with a lot of people. Whats behind the presentation is what worries me. Obama may not be a racist but the church he belongs to certianly is. Check it out if you have the time, it won't be hard to find. I do know this, if a white candidate belonged to a church with those specific (race oriented) values, the media would smoke em.

  7. #7
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    11.21.03
    Posts
    3,080
    Last Online

    07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Sometimes it's easy to just point at somebody else and say it's their fault, but oppression has a way of creeping into it. Reverend, it has a way of stunting yourself. You start telling yourself, Bishop, I can't do something. I can't read. I can't go to college. I can't start a business. I can't run for Congress. I can't run for the presidency. People start telling you-- you can't do something, after a while, you start believing it and part of what the civil rights movement was about was recognizing that we have to transform ourselves in order to transform the world. Mahatma Gandhi, great hero of Dr. King and the person who helped create the nonviolent movement around the world; he once said that you can't change the world if you haven't changed. - Barack Obama
    Its hard to imagine the likes of Shapton saying something like the above which is from the link Broken9500 provided.

    As to the topic: A boneheaded thing to say but "political correctness" running amuck is not the solution, just creates a backlash.

  8. #8
    Baluchitherium Guitar Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.08.01
    Age
    47
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,334
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Sharpton is a complete tool, but Good LORD what a stupid comment to make, especially on the air. Jimmy the Greek would be proud.

  9. #9
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,157
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Likes
    1,321
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

    Default

    the reporter made a mistake & she apologized to Tiger. He accepted the apology. Case closed I figured.

    If the station wants to suspend her, I don't have a problem with that.

    Rev Al really needs to pick his fights a little better than he does. I get making a case out of the Imus thing. I just don't get what he thinks will be achieved in this case. This isn't a case of someone going out of their way to offend people (like Imus). Kelly Tilghman should have been more careful with her choice of words If Rev Al thinks Kelly Tilghman is one of the biggest problems facing black America then he's either a fool or there isn't a racism problem anymore in America. I'm thinking it's the former.

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk bsbll4's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.18.03
    Age
    34
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    8,660
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Likes
    575
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    This is a stupid non-issue. Anyone that is offended by that comment needs to grow the fuck up. Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words will never oppress you.

    Grow some thick skin...whatever color that skin is I could care less, but don't be a pussy.

    No one that gets "offended" by that comment ever personally knew someone who was "lynched," so they need to get over themselves. I'm sick of the Great-White Guilt.
    Last edited by bsbll4; 01.10.08 at 12:51 PM.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

  11. #11
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,157
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Likes
    1,321
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    This is a stupid non-issue. Anyone that is offended by that comment needs to grow the fuck up. Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words will never oppress you.

    Grow some thick skin...whatever color that skin is I could care less, but don't be a pussy.

    No one that gets "offended" by that comment ever personally knew someone who was "lynched," so they need to get over themselves. I'm sick of the Great-White Guilt.
    it's a stupid comment. And if she had some sort of history of this then maybe i could understand the outrage. But shouldn't Al be working on real issues and not this type of stupidity.

    Isn't racism usually an issue of power? This isn't a white employer saying a black employee should be lynched. This is some nobody reporter making a stupid mistake and if Tiger wanted her fired she would be. Rev Al should spend a little more time worrying about people who are negatively impacted by racist behaviour. Tiger can handle himself.

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk bsbll4's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.18.03
    Age
    34
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    8,660
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Likes
    575
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I still think the outrage is undeserved in the first place. If she had said, "the young golfers should put on hoods and lynch him from a tree in the dark of night," I could see the outrage. I don't understand how anyone can be offended by this in the first place. Since when did "lynching in a back alley" become a racial term? Would there be an outrage if she had said they should put him in the hull of a ship and send off to a foreign country? Would Al Sharpton come out screaming and talk about how that's eerily close to talking about a slave vessel?

    I just can't take this crap anymore. This is people reaching for controversy. I want someone...someone other than that fat-ass-good-for-nothing-self-serving-ignorant-biggot Al Sharpton to step forward and say they were offended. Then I want them to spell out why they are offended. Then I will laugh in their face for being an idiot.

    There's your fucking compassion.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    The incident was settled, until Reverend Al stuck his nose in.

    As Dennis Miller once profoundly stated (back when he was cool):

    "When you consider Al Sharpton, think two words: TAWANA BRAWLEY."

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk bsbll4's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.18.03
    Age
    34
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    8,660
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Likes
    575
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Oooh myyy....looook at that 'dooooo.....permilicious! And nice Dirty Sanchez too
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

  15. #15
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    12.25.01
    Age
    53
    Location
    Carmel, Ca
    Posts
    7,954
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

    05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Thanks to our new auditor, I have a better perspective on this stuff.

    African-Americans just don't find jokes about "Lynching" all that funny, especially when the joke involves lynching a black man.

    I can see their point.

    The fact that this was uttered on the Golf Channel, and golf is a 75% white sport just makes it worse. It's not the end of the world but you have to wonder what the fuck was in this chick's brain for those words even to form let alone spill out into a live microphone.

    Why couldn't she just say practice harder?
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai


    My Blog:

    http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

    http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. One Step Beyond: MADNESS...
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03.27.06, 06:13 AM
  2. MARCH MADNESS !!!!!
    By Panama Dog in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03.17.02, 12:37 PM
  3. March Madness!!!
    By Panama Dog in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04.02.01, 07:22 AM
  4. VH involved with March Madness...
    By Cabo Kid in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03.20.01, 11:46 AM
  5. March Madness!
    By Panama Dog in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02.18.01, 01:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •