Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    49
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    22,946
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Likes
    842
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

    Default $3 quadrillion dollar lawsuit

    NEW ORLEANS - Hurricane Katrina's victims have put a price tag on their suffering and it is staggering — including one plaintiff seeking the unlikely sum of $3 quadrillion.

    A whopping $3,014,170,389,176,410 is the dollar figure so far sought from some of the largest claims filed against the federal government over damage from the failure of levees and flood walls following the Aug. 29, 2005, hurricane.

    Of roughly 489,000 total claims, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said it has received 247 for at least $1 billion apiece, including the one for $3 quadrillion.

    "That's the mother of all high numbers," said Loren Scott, a Baton Rouge-based economist.

    For the sake of perspective: A mere $1 quadrillion would dwarf the U.S. gross domestic product, which Scott said was $13.2 trillion in 2007. A stack of one quadrillion pennies would reach Saturn.

    Some residents may have grossly exaggerated their claims to send a message to the corps, which has accepted blame for poorly designing the failed levees.

    "I understand the anger," Scott said. "I also understand it's a negotiating tactic: Aim high and negotiate down."

    Daniel Becnel, Jr., a lawyer who said his clients have filed more than 60,000 claims, said measuring Katrina's devastation in dollars and cents is a nearly impossible task.

    "There's no way on earth you can figure it out," he said. "The trauma these people have undergone is unlike anything that has occurred in the history of our country."

    The corps released zip codes, but no names, for the 247 claims of at least $1 billion. The list includes a $77 billion claim by the city of New Orleans. Fourteen involve a wrongful death claim. Fifteen were filed by businesses, including several insurance companies.

    Little is known about the person who claimed $3 quadrillion. It was filed in Baker, 93 miles northwest of New Orleans. Baker is far from the epicenter of Katrina's destruction, but the city has a trailer park where hundreds of evacuees have lived since the storm.

    Katrina, which is blamed for more than 1,600 deaths in Louisiana and Mississippi, is considered the most destructive storm to ever hit the U.S. It caused at least $60 billion in insured losses and could cost Gulf Coast states up to $125 billion, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

    Most of the claims were filed before a deadline that coincided with Katrina's second anniversary, but the Corps is still receiving them — about 100 claims have arrived over the past three weeks — and is feeding them into a computer database.

    The Corps said it isn't passing judgment on the merits of each claim. Federal courts are in charge of deciding if a claim is valid and how much compensation is warranted.

    "It's important to the person who filed it, so we're taking every single claim seriously," Corps spokeswoman Amanda Jones said.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    29
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,323
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Likes
    295
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    NEW ORLEANS - Hurricane Katrina's victims have put a price tag on their suffering and it is staggering — including one plaintiff seeking the unlikely sum of $3 quadrillion.

    A whopping $3,014,170,389,176,410 is the dollar figure so far sought from some of the largest claims filed against the federal government over damage from the failure of levees and flood walls following the Aug. 29, 2005, hurricane.

    Of roughly 489,000 total claims, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said it has received 247 for at least $1 billion apiece, including the one for $3 quadrillion.

    "That's the mother of all high numbers," said Loren Scott, a Baton Rouge-based economist.

    For the sake of perspective: A mere $1 quadrillion would dwarf the U.S. gross domestic product, which Scott said was $13.2 trillion in 2007. A stack of one quadrillion pennies would reach Saturn.

    Some residents may have grossly exaggerated their claims to send a message to the corps, which has accepted blame for poorly designing the failed levees.

    "I understand the anger," Scott said. "I also understand it's a negotiating tactic: Aim high and negotiate down."

    Daniel Becnel, Jr., a lawyer who said his clients have filed more than 60,000 claims, said measuring Katrina's devastation in dollars and cents is a nearly impossible task.

    "There's no way on earth you can figure it out," he said. "The trauma these people have undergone is unlike anything that has occurred in the history of our country."

    The corps released zip codes, but no names, for the 247 claims of at least $1 billion. The list includes a $77 billion claim by the city of New Orleans. Fourteen involve a wrongful death claim. Fifteen were filed by businesses, including several insurance companies.

    Little is known about the person who claimed $3 quadrillion. It was filed in Baker, 93 miles northwest of New Orleans. Baker is far from the epicenter of Katrina's destruction, but the city has a trailer park where hundreds of evacuees have lived since the storm.

    Katrina, which is blamed for more than 1,600 deaths in Louisiana and Mississippi, is considered the most destructive storm to ever hit the U.S. It caused at least $60 billion in insured losses and could cost Gulf Coast states up to $125 billion, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

    Most of the claims were filed before a deadline that coincided with Katrina's second anniversary, but the Corps is still receiving them — about 100 claims have arrived over the past three weeks — and is feeding them into a computer database.

    The Corps said it isn't passing judgment on the merits of each claim. Federal courts are in charge of deciding if a claim is valid and how much compensation is warranted.

    "It's important to the person who filed it, so we're taking every single claim seriously," Corps spokeswoman Amanda Jones said.
    I'm sorry to make light of this but.......it makes sense to me.....
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk edwardv's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.13.01
    Age
    59
    Location
    hanover pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,029
    Favorite VH Album

    diver down
    Favorite VH Song

    drop dead legs
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Likes
    4,474
    Liked 2,382 Times in 1,486 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    3,014,170,389,176,410=5150

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk bsbll4's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.18.03
    Age
    34
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    8,622
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Likes
    565
    Liked 2,210 Times in 1,114 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    I'm sorry to make light of this but.......it makes sense to me.....
    I think everyone in America thought the same thing. White-trailer trash. Go figure. If you ignored the repeated warnings from scientists for years who said Hurricane Katrina and the after effects in N.O. would happen, ignored the order to evacuate the city, and were of able body to do so, it's pretty hard to claim a wrongful death. For the people that wanted to leave but couldn't, I can see it.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

  5. #5
    Wear the fox hat... Filthy 150's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.13.03
    Location
    Right here.
    Posts
    4,121
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

    10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Likes
    31
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I'm just glad to see that everyone is being reasonable.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------


    "As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------


    "I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------


    VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    i wonder if Houston will get a piece of that settlement. Talk about getting duped, everyone around here went crazy with empathy. I know people that donated crap they couldn't afford to be without because they were so heartbroken. I know people that spent 12 and 14 hours a day at the astrodome. The whole time I kept telling them, "don't waste your energy. These people are taking advantage of you" The whole time they'd tell me I was a cold-hearted bastard. Well, after a few weeks of having Subway sandwiches thrown on the floor because they had mustard on them, and clothing thrown back in their faces because it was too old or worn out, people started understanding that those that were good, hardworking prideful people before Katrina didn't need anyone's help. They got out of dodge and took care of their business. Those that were pathetic, lazy, disgraceful, shameless leeches were still the same way after katrina and still are for that matter. I have no pity and no room in my heart or time for their bullshit. As far as I'm concerned they can all rot in hell with their government subsidized porn, breast implants, lap dances, drugs and mad dog 20/20. losers.

  7. #7
    Hang 'Em High sickman's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.13.04
    Posts
    6,169
    Favorite VH Album

    Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

    Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 05:49 PM
    Likes
    547
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Well what about compensation for the people whose houses were destroyed in Nevada last weekend by a broken Levee. Oh wait forget I know.............
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

  8. #8
    Eruption
    Join Date
    02.06.00
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,340
    Last Online

    07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    i wonder if Houston will get a piece of that settlement. Talk about getting duped, everyone around here went crazy with empathy. I know people that donated crap they couldn't afford to be without because they were so heartbroken. I know people that spent 12 and 14 hours a day at the astrodome. The whole time I kept telling them, "don't waste your energy. These people are taking advantage of you" The whole time they'd tell me I was a cold-hearted bastard. Well, after a few weeks of having Subway sandwiches thrown on the floor because they had mustard on them, and clothing thrown back in their faces because it was too old or worn out, people started understanding that those that were good, hardworking prideful people before Katrina didn't need anyone's help. They got out of dodge and took care of their business. Those that were pathetic, lazy, disgraceful, shameless leeches were still the same way after katrina and still are for that matter. I have no pity and no room in my heart or time for their bullshit. As far as I'm concerned they can all rot in hell with their government subsidized porn, breast implants, lap dances, drugs and mad dog 20/20. losers.
    Exactly!

    I vividly remember watching news crews on Bourbon Street asking why people were still there with a hurricane approaching and word that the streets may be under with 8' of water. These people didnt care and were looking forward to the "hurricane" party. The government had already issued evacuation orders, yet we are supposed to feel sorry for those who didn't heed the warning and stayed? The city is in a hole and the citizens had been told for years that a major hurricane would flood the city if hit. The government doesn't owe these people anything. A month after Katrina hit we were hit here by Rita, which was a stronger storm than Katrina. We were not all on the news. I lost a bunch of things too, hey wait a minute maybe I need to sue the government too.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Lone trader caused 100 dollar price for oil
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01.05.08, 06:26 PM
  2. 100 Million Dollar Fleecing of America
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08.19.07, 06:17 PM
  3. Dollar bill found with traces of cocaine
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04.25.07, 07:14 PM
  4. Million Dollar Baby
    By Hotlantadude1981 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08.01.05, 07:22 PM
  5. DLR & A million dollar DVD
    By Goo in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02.15.02, 06:56 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •